Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Knowledge Vending Machine... or Knowledge Vampire?

To boldly alchemize what no one alchemized before
"Memory Walk is about making a person relive unpleasant memories to soften up someone's mental defenses and maybe inflict physical pain as well. Typically I use it for interrogation and I stop using it when I can drain the desired information. However, do be cautious when it's used for interrogation, since it's legally considered enhanced interrogation, with all the legal implications that its status carries. The reason why it's so dangerous to teach is because you can leave psychological scars in a person if it's carelessly used"

I used Memory Walk twice, when it became clear that regular interrogation would not achieve anything, she thought, while the memories of her using Memory Walk were of her using it for brief durations, enough to cause them some pain but not enough to cause them any lasting harm. Now, she had to take the risk that [member="Dianah Vrorae"] would, in fact, be using it for torture. But a rather calculated one given that most Sith tended to shun the use of mentalistic powers. Just that the codename of torture by chagrin was commonly used in the literature surrounding Memory Walk, which summarized the effects Memory Walk were having on people subjected to it. One thing is for sure: Memory Walk is much more intrusive than a regular Drain Knowledge. And she will realize that sometimes painful content can cause pain in Drain Knowledge users, so Janick had to make sure she had painkillers at the ready should the level of pain become intense enough to cause problems, or at least allow Dianah to use the couch to lie on to recover until such time the pain subsided.

"With that said, you may begin to download it"

Darth Miseria

D
'Alright, let's get going then.'

Memory walk sounded right up Dianah's street. She did have a flair for the dramatic and it seemed fitting that she could make someone relieve their worst memories. She had never been party to any kind of interrogation and had no desire to be. Having the option there was nice though. The fear of being in trouble with the law didn't scare her that much, but the scars on psyche brought a slither of wariness into her mind. When all was said and done though, she was a sucker for knowledge.

So, she began.

It was similar to the first time except this time the rush of intricate details were about memory walk. They filled the corners of her mind to the brim with a fresh intelligence. A sting in her temples turned from a light tap to a score of nails on a blackboard as the last strands of memory walk rushed into her mind.

Dianah lifted her fingers up and massaged the tense muscles in her head. Perhaps it was more complicated than she thought. Drain knowledge didn't just teach you, it made you feel as well. Dianah could feel the subtle pain of this horrific torture technique.

'Does that happen every time?'

[member=Janick Beauchamp]

To boldly alchemize what no one alchemized before
"If it feels painful to you, even when you download slowly enough not to induce pain in the source, it's probably the content that is painful"

[member="Dianah Vi'Dreya"] feels the pain from downloading Memory Walk using Drain Knowledge? Safer to incur pain when downloaded than to risk various levels of psychological harm when learning Memory Walk with conventional means. I'm pretty sure Dianah could be made to feel like a genius when with a non-genius that isn't someone at Raith's level. Sure, there are a few people who can, in fact, close in on me, while not quite being there; they're still brilliant and I typically acknowledge them as such. I'm not necessarily any better than them as a person, or even at a specific activity, she thought, while realizing that smarts are not the end of the story. Poor Dianah: she has perhaps learned so much today that it's possible her brain may be a little more vulnerable by now. There was such a thing as learning too much too quickly and Janick knew it all along. And it's not simply headaches or something of that sort. Just that she knew that even the best memories needed downtime to properly assimilate all the information that was being presented, however similar they are to each other.

"You learned a lot today, do you wish to go to sleep or to have something alchemized?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom