Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kill the Boy... [Thrand]

.. and let the man be born.

Tháinbroek
Training room ..
earthouse_interior1.jpg
[member="Thrand Dawnbringer"]

He had been summon. On this fair day, Théo had received a message from his grandpapa, King Dawnbringer to meet him in the training hall toward the back of the Grand Hall. That was it, no other words had been delivered by the steward that had awoken him from his bed. Théo would not question the summon, instead he bounded out of bed and dressed as quickly as he could. In such haste, Théo had to return to his room twice as he had forgotten something or other,one being his boots and one being his sword.

Hoping along the corridor, trying to pull on his boot, his long sword smack against his legs, naturally this method of boot putting on, is ineffective and only wastes further time, so he stopped and leaned against the wall to complete the task. He is late and so he runs.

Pushing open a wood door, a stream of daylight filters into the room from a hole in the center of the roof, there is a small fire place in the middle, which is not lit but sits ready. It is a circular room that Théo has never seen before and he marveled that he had missed this! He had thought he knew the Grand Hall backward.

His leather boots scuffed against the dirt floor as he walked the circular room, there is nothing in here to indicate what it is used for, only a line of benches circumnavigate the wall, however a curious thing caught his eye, as their appeared to be dark patches staining the floor. They looked old as if whatever had left the stain had dried up. Théo crouched down and touched it with his finger tips, before rubbing the soil in his hand and raised it to smell. It is blood ..

He stood up, brushed his hands of the dirt while wonder about this place his grandpapa had asked to meet him.

Today marked a special occasion, and one that had been postponed for far too long. Clad in light leather armour, King Thrand sat awaiting his grandson's arrival. The chamber in which he waited contained a multitude of weapons; most of which were unsuitable for actual combat, but were used in some capacity in past ages. The walls were adorned with shields, swords, axes, maces... Whatever could be used to harm your enemy. It was in these chambers where his father had brought him out of childhood and into adulthood with rigorous training, both physical and with the use of weapons. Real weapons, not some flimsy practice sword made of wood the kids use to whack each other with.

For this reason, Thrand had gone to the length of un-retiring his mighty greatsword, Dawnstar, if only for this one occasion. For now it rested in his lap while he cleaned it of any blemishes, and when Théo entered the room he'd barely noticed him doing so, being so pre-occupied with tending to his blade. A hundred years it had served him faithfully since the day his father had it forged for his first real battle. "Come here, boy," he told him with his usual joyful voice, a smile forming on his lips.

As Théo approached him, Thrand rose from his seat with sword in hand, now resting its heavy blade upon his shoulder. Stepping towards him, he placed his remaining hand upon the boy's much smaller shoulder. "I was there, you know. The day you were born," he began, smile reaching across from cheek to cheek. "We all were. Your father and mother spent hours within the birthing chambers, but you proved stubborn," he chuckled. "I once was able to fit your tiny life in the palm of my hand, you were so small. But now it seems the years have passed me by, and here before me stands a boy on the brink of becoming a man. That is why we're here, today."

"When I was your age, my father would take me down here daily for weapons training, as his father had before him. I am saddened by the fact I never got to do so with either of my sons, but now I am given another chance with my beloved grandson." He gave Théo's shoulder a loving squeeze. "I know you receive all the training you need at your Jedi Temple, so today will be a one-time deal. Traditions and such..."

[member="Théodred Heavenshield"]

As Theo had grown up, he had heard more of the family history, how his grandpapa had lived off Midvinter for some time and that his father, Thurion, had been born on a planet called Pelagon. He could simply not imagine the events that had befallen the family at that time, how his grandfather had left the two boys alone out of pure grief for the woman he loved more then life. But in a strange way, life events that began hard have a way of making amends in the future. Events set in motion so long ago, lead to this moment. Theo raised his right hand and placed it on that of his grandpapa resting on his shoulder and held it in love and understanding even if Thrand did not know the reason why.

"What .. what was she like? .. my grandmama", he asked with heavy heart and hoped the sudden question would not hurt Thrand to think on it. That was never Theo's intention, but he wanted to know about a woman that shaped the family from the very beginning. His father may not have had the opportunity to know his mother but Thrand did.

The pair would walk to the center of the room, Theo's eyes had noticed the grand sword of his grandfathers but would not dare to ask to touch it. Beside, Theo doubted he could even lift it. "This is my sword", he unsheathed the sword by the hilt, so new and yet to taste the air across it's blade. "I had the smith here in Thainbroek forge it for me, but I think I have out grown it". The smith had made the sword for his then size a couple of years ago.

When the question came from his grandson, Thrand was slightly taken aback at the sudden interest in the boy's grandmother. "Sarah..." he whispered with a smile on his lips, yet his eyes had turned sad at the thought. "Sarah the Serene. She was... She was a Jedi Knight, a member of the Jedi Order. Her hair was made of sunshine and her eyes were greener than the deepest of Midvinter forests. She found me when I was at my lowest, and we grew to love one another. We got married and had a son. Thyrian..." The thought of his firstborn caused his smile to widen. He loved that boy so very dearly.

"Then when your father was born, she just... succumbed to her illness. We had been given a choice by the doctors months earlier; either we remove the child before it develops any further, or we go through with it. Sarah wouldn't have any of it, and it was her decision to have the baby. I... didn't want her to. We both knew the consequences of her decision, and I couldn't imagine a world without her. But in the end I respected her wishes. Your father was born and she paid for it with her life." He looked into Théo's blue eyes, his father's eyes.

"I don't want you to think I do not love you father because of what happened. He is my son, and all of you are now my family because of the choice Sarah made so long ago. Such workings are left to the Gods for a reason," he said, smiling again. His hand left the boy's shoulder to caress his cheek instead, before they would proceed to step towards the middle of the room. When noticing Théo's needle-of-a-sword, it was hard for him to mask a chuckle. Without a word he then went to grab one of the wall-mounted swords and tossing it to him. "Here. You'll need a man's sword for this."

There comes a time in every boys life when he realises that the men that he holds as God, in greatness and infallible are but men that make mistakes. As Thrand spoke of the past, of the woman he loves even now, and of his sons, Théo's heart deepened to a regret for asking. With each word the illusion torn asunder and he became angry. As any child would when what they had believed, was to be destroyed. But he wanted to know, he wanted to hear this from his grandfather and he had spoke with honesty and a sense of sadness in every word. It is the selfishness of a child in anger when ones heroes are removed and a sense of defiance filled his chest as he thought about his own father and that Thrand had not want him born, the every thought sickened Théo as he could not imagine such a thing. As for his uncle, he had barely spoken to Théo .. out of the three patriarchs his family his father would be the, Forever King.

Deep down among the twisting turning emotions he now felt, he knew Thrand loves his sons equally, and that the family, all of them are loved and love their Father. Théo let out a long breath realising he had held it in. And lifting his face to look upon that of his grandfathers a single tear fell to the dirt floor, that would be all Théo would allow himself to shed. "I wish .. I wish I could have met her". The words spoken softly and issued from his mouth as he turned away to ready himself.

As Thrand threw Théo the training sword he caught it by the hilt in open palm and in same motion his untouched sword flew through the air cartwheeling toward the wall and with a force propelled throw out of frustration, the sword buried deep within the thick wood almost to the hilt. Théo looked at it quivering in place and felt better for it. Now his attention is paid to the sword in hand, holding it before him to inspect the blade. There are countless nicks and chips along it's length but the weight and balance of it suites him. It is basic in design or pattern, it is a war sword and so no need for fluff. Théo had had lessons with the Elder of Midvinter and so is not without skill with this form of blade, of course his Jedi training with his blademaster added to his ability. Yet, standing before Théo is a mountain of a man with a very large sword about to teach him a lesson. Fightened? oh yes.

He met the eyes of his grandfather, intensely locked on them for a moment and through them Thrand would see his love unconditional, regardless of the past. Thrand Dawnbringer is still and will always be .. God.

Watching as Théo prepared himself, the old King sensed great frustration in his grandson. He didn't need any Jedi powers to sense it, either; the boy's face was etched in determination and the ferocity with which he had discarded his own sword spoke of his emotional state. Perhaps it had to do with the story he had just been told, or perhaps it was something else entirely. Adolescents often times would behave in ways they themselves did not understand - young men having to prove their worth doubly so. He had been young too, once. A long time ago.

"Are you ready, Théodred?" he asked, already knowing the answer. With a brief smile and a nod Thrand acknowledged him. "You look ready." Then, all of a sudden, his greatsword arced through the air as if acting on its own, both hands gripping the hilt firmly as it struck the ground at Théo's feet with a heavy *clang*, not intended to hit him. "Death could come at any moment when in battle, with no warning or hint of it approaching. Because of this, the fear of death must be conquered." Recovering from his strike, Thrand took a step back to let the boy make the next move.

The cusp on which Théo stood was unstable. No longer a child, not yet a man, and body and mind at war with itself. He did not flinch as the great sword rose high in the air and descended before him at his feet. Théo had felt his grandfather's move and his intention was not to hit him. That was clear enough not only through the force but because Thrand would do nothing to harm him directly. He knew his grandfather would die first before doing that.

There is no sense of pressure placed upon him to prove himself, not from his grandfather but from himself there is much of it. So much turmoil of loyalty, family honour, powerful of mind and body and ... things more personal. An individual need for worth, to stand among men and women as equals and respected as such especially here on Midvinter. To be able to prove he can provide this, to be called upon in times of need for his mother planet. And his father and mother ... and Nina.

He has a fear of death, what young man does not when he has a full life ahead of him to live. So much he wants to do in life, to experience all that those that have gone before him have, war, hardship, protection of those he cares for, and love. But his fear is more seeded in the fear of not being able to achieve this, that those he loves might die because he is unable to protect them, not strong enough to do so. Not just physically, he would grow to be a strong man, but in his purpose or lack of fortitude. There is a saving grace, the blood line is thick with fortitude .. it will win the day.

A small cheeky grin crossed the young man's face, his eyes had not left those of his grandfathers and with a firm double grip on the sword, Théo lunged forward within reach of the great man, and arced a strike to his lower leg. Size matters, Thrand the Mountain would see the first attack to his base.

It was expected of Théo to hold his ground during his initial attack, to show him he was not afraid. One cannot face your enemy with fear for the enemy itself, for if such is the case then you have already lost the battle. These are hard truths passed down to him by his father and his father before him, within these very walls a hundred years ago. Meeting Théo's determined gaze, the old king saw the fire of youth raging inside him. It would grant him strength, if but for a time; the truest teacher of all is sheer experience - the experience to conserve your energy for when it is needed, to be able to read your opponent on when to strike. This he carried in droves, whether he liked it or not. Such was the Valkyri way.

When the young man lunged forward in an attempt to slash at his leg, Thrand merely stepped out of the way and held out his blade horizontal to Théo, catching him against the blunt side of his sword and causing him to stop dead in his tracks. "Tsk, tsk, tsk. Too eager," he calmly said. "Confidence is well and true enough, but do not underestimate your opponent. I may be old, and I may be bigger than you, but don't mistake old bones and great size for being slow. There is a reason why the old ones have managed to become such, after all," he added with a chuckle. "Remember, this is no fancy Jedi blade you're wielding. This is true steel, forged from Midvinter blood and might."

Lowering his sword, Thrand stood before his grandson once more. He raised a hand to settle against Théo's cheek, still so familiar to him from the day he held the newborn babe in the palm of his hand. He smiled as he then proceeded to ruffle the lad's raven hair. "Again."

Having spent many, many hours in training with Master Jericho, Theo fully expected to the thumped in lessons such as these. So many bruises and aching limbs would he experience after such sessions and so very tired. But each time, in each lesson Theo was required to strike first, he supposed it was because he was the learner and had to experience this level of rank until such time as he would be the one doing the teaching. Well, to Hades with that!

He laughed when his grand father ruffled his hair and gave him a beaming smile. He had been caught out thinking his grandfather would be slow, or rather slower then before and the lesson learned was never underestimate your opponent. He knew this of course but sometimes it is easy to fall into misconceptions. "One condition Grand Papa", he said, the his grin still firmly in place. "When we are done, I shall give you a lesson with my fancy Jedi blade".

No, would not be considered an answer from Theo and so he moved back into position ready for the next part of the training. Gripping the sword with both hands, he unfurled his fingers before firming up the hold, his legs spread to shoulder width and his eyes locked onto those of the grand papa's.

But Theo did not move save for the corner of his mouth. If one was to conserve energy, to size up their opponent and let them make the first move or mistake, then he was not going to move. Grandpapa would have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom