Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Karnak Ren's Power Hammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elijah Brockway

[Insert Clever Joke Here]
5910175_f520.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Karnak Ren
  • Affiliation: Karnak Ren
  • Model: N/A
  • Modularity: No
  • Production: Unique
  • Material: Phrik (haft and head plating), neuranium (head), rubberized plastic (grip elements), various electronics.
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Warhammer/Power Hammer
  • Size: Large
  • Weight: Heavy (35 kilograms)
SPECIAL FEATURES
Strengths:
  • Nearly Indestructible—Thanks to the majority-Phrik composition, but aided by the neuranium's durability as well, Karnak's power hammer is nearly indestructible via conventional attacks, and is highly lightsaber resistant.
  • Hard Hitting—Between the neuranium head and the shockwave generators, this hammer packs an extreme punch to armoured, unarmoured, living, and nonliving targets. Especially if Karnak executes an overhand strike and simply turns off the repulsors as the head is falling, relinquishing control for power.
  • Shocking Twist—With the butt end of the haft having an integrated stun baton that can be activated and used, Karnak has a less-lethal option than smashing people with the hammer; alternatively, he can use it to surprise an opponent.
Weaknesses:
  • Extremely Heavy—With the repulsors active, the hammer is still too heavy and large for beings smaller than Karnak to wield it effectively, and particularly protracted engagements with it can still tire him. As well, without the repulsors active, it becomes barely more useful than an extremely large sledgehammer in the Yaka's hands, losing any truly effective potential to wield it beyond use as a large sledgehammer.
  • Shockamalan Strikes Again—The stun baton at the butt end of the haft can be accidentally activated (or purposefully activated by somebody such as a force-wielding enemy), meaning that an unwary wielder of the weapon could accidentally be stunned by it.
  • Tactical Deactivation—Either via the Force, or through simple grappling techniques if a strike is evaded, an opponent can manage to easily get to the controls of the hammer and deactivate the repulsors, forcing Karnak to take an extra step to regain any effectiveness with the weapon.
  • Not An Inside Weapon—Being about the same length as Karnak is tall, the weapon is best suited to open spaces, and proves extremely unwieldy in more confined areas.
DESCRIPTION

During his days as a mercenary, Karnak found the power hammer to be one of his favoured weapons; between the efficient and powerful nature of the weapon and its intimidating appearance, it proved quite useful both in combat and out of it. Shortly after joining the Knights of Ren, however, he found that his weapon was somewhat lacking if he wished to effectively combat the lightsabers and such that his new compatriots used, and new enemies would also be using; as such, he set out to construct his own new weapon.

He gutted his original for parts, before taking neuranium from his no-longer-functional starship and fashioning a head from it, and calling from First Order stores that were newly available for him, he was able to plate that head with phrik (after installing the repulsors and shockwave generators) and form the rest of the haft out of phrik as well. In order to give himself a functional less-than-lethal alternative in combat, he installed a stun baton in the opposite end of the haft from the hammer head, able to be activated separately from it. Other than the phrik plating and the stun baton, though, it functions the same as an average power hammer, simply a very large one suited to a very large person.

Ultimately, he was well-pleased with the weapon; its great size and mass suited his capabilities as an extremely large Yaka warrior, it was no less intimidating than any of the other weaponry used by the Knights of Ren, and its lightsaber-resistant nature enabled him to be an effective combatant with his chosen weapon in the realm of Force Sensitive combat.

Netherworld

[member="Karnak Ren"]

How does this fare vs EMP/Ion?

With that amount of weight (35 kg is... a lot) what happens when he swings and misses? Holding onto a weapon with that kind of momentum would be very close to impossible.

Elijah Brockway

I didn't include anything about EMPs/Ion weaponry due to the fact that, from what all I've noticed, personal weaponry generally seems to be automatically protected against them both in canon (Legends/New) and on the board, so it didn't appear necessary to me.

As for the heft, I've covered that in the weaknesses—the fact that this is a power hammer offsets that quite a bit, enabling Karnak to use it like an actual warhammer. Otherwise, if the repulsors fail, he'd be limited to trying to use it like a human would use a large (10kg head or more) sledgehammer in real life, which would be not very well for battle. Him being a Yaka (and a large one at that) is the only reason he'd be able to use a weapon like this, where I figure the head itself is about 30kg of the entire mass.

Also, this is more anecdotal evidence than anything, but IRL I'm a very tiny person, and with a good backstop for one hand I can manage to swing something with a comparable weight on the end and hold onto it. I can't control it whatsoever (since it's swinging around just about half of my entire weight) and it hurts to do so, but it's possible; I figure for somebody who is 8 feet tall and about 500 pounds of cybernetics and muscle like the character, it should be quite a bit more controllable.

Netherworld

[member="Karnak Ren"]

On the subject of EMP/Ion; personal weaponry is in no way automatically protected. Plenty of unique/semi-unique items exist that suffer from such weaknesses.

Why I'm asking is this:

Karnak Ren said:
without the repulsors active, it becomes barely more useful than an extremely large sledgehammer in the Yaka's hands, losing any truly effective potential to wield it beyond use as a large sledgehammer.
Unless he'd somehow forget to turn the repulsors on (unlikely to happen), this part of the weakness becomes essentially irrelevant. Hence the EMP/Ion question. It would go a long way towards making this a balanced submission.

Elijah Brockway

The vast majority of submissions on this board and items in canon of similar nature to this (man-portable arms) that I've seen don't suffer from ion/EMP weaponry whatsoever, and even if a weakness or resistance to such isn't directly stated, oftentimes in the writing they're treated as functionally immune, which is why I can't see that as being a necessary thing to put in. Overall, the weaponry of the sort that specifically mention EMPs/Ionic attacks as a weakness, or are written as such, seem to be distinctly in the minority; that's what I meant by that "automatically protected" comment.

I could always add in a comment about the capability of an opponent to turn off the repulsors similar to the stun baton, either via the Force or via simple grappling techniques (as it would be relatively easy to grab onto the haft of the weapon and grapple it if not hit by it), and even then, I've already mentioned that any protracted engagement (in my mind, anything akin to the length of battle we see in some of the lightsaber battles in the films) will still serve to significantly tire Karnak using this weapon, much like with average people and historic pole weapons. But as it stands, I don't really see any way in which this is currently unbalanced or why EMP/Ionic weaponry should be mentioned specifically given the lack of mention given to them by the majority of things either on this board or in official Star Wars materials.

Netherworld

[member="Karnak Ren"]

Official Star Wars materials weren't created to be used by the writers of a RP board in PvP combat. Regardless, you will note that one of the Factory rules is a lack of precedents. We judge each submission individually.

Karnak Ren said:
I could always add in a comment about the capability of an opponent to turn off the repulsors similar to the stun baton, either via the Force or via simple grappling techniques
Please do so, and I can stamp this.

Also, in the future, please @mention your judge. It makes it easier for me to see when you've replied to a submission and makes the whole process quicker.

Elijah Brockway

Barring my own personal views on the "lack of precedent" thing, that's reasonable. It shall be done.

Also, sorry about forgetting to tag you. It was at some point earlier this morning that I looked at the post and went "huh, I feel like I'm forgetting something. Whoops."

[member="Netherworld"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom