Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Kabadabi Organic Crystals

Status
Not open for further replies.
ad101a67a5ae4bbf87e444a58456d0dd.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Kabadabi Crystals
  • Origins: Naturally grown on Vran’Ti but can be grown elsewhere
  • Other Locations: Can technically be grown most planets with water and heat.
  • Classification: Organic Crystal
  • Average Growth Cycle: Kabadabi Crystals form off each other much like stiff vines or branches, though they are jagged and pointed like crystals. Any piece of it can be used to grow more as they reproduce asexually simply by adding more and more on top of each other. As long as they are connected to a water and heat source they should continue to live, but can lose integrity over time. If detached from each other or a source of water/heat (either one) they can die within as little as few days. It can take a crystal of about one inch in optimal conditions a week to grow another inch. Though the more crystals there are, the less optimal the conditions because more water is needed, and so they tend to slow considerable. They can grow out of the water if connected to more crystal in the water, but the ends are more likely to end up dying or simply stop growing. A crystal vine could travel all along a shore, but it is likely to be broken which could cause bits to fall in or be removed, and therefor end up dying as they can't maintain quiet the temperatures or water needed. Becoming buried can cause similar issues.
  • Viability: Kabadabi crystals can survive on very little water for their size, and need a temperature of 40 degrees fahrenheit. So long as water is able to flow the crystal should be able to live. However, they cannot grow in such conditions. For this reason most Kabadabi Crystals are found near hot springs, volcanoes, or other locations which can generate regular amounts of heat, but also need flowing water. Aside from these two things, they need little else.
  • Description: The Kabadabi crystals are known to appear to almost have a slight glow, not enough to truly illuminate anything, but enough to make them visible in the darkness. When discovered along streams they are often seen following the water, only partially submerged so they get the water but also receive heat from the sun.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Average Height: Most living crystals will be at least 2.54 cm. While there is no specific limitation on size, the bigger the crystal the more risk of it dying or ceasing to grow as it can't get enough water or heat.
  • Average Width: Most living crystals will be at least 1.27 cm. While there is no specific limitation on size, the bigger the crystal the more risk of it dying or ceasing to grow as it can't get enough water or heat.
  • Color: Generally shades of blue, green, and turquoise.
  • Nutritional Value: None
  • Toxicity:
  • Inhalation is known to cause potential damage to lungs and throat.
  • Ingestion takes time and it’s effects can be less great
  • Ingestion can risk mal-nutrition as the crystals take up space but offer no nutrition.
  • Inhalation and ingestion of a live crystal could be deadly as they absorb water and grow
  • While the crystals themselves have no addictive properties, the power they provide can be.
  • Other Effects:
    • Inhaled: When crushed and inhaled (often through smoke) the crystals are known to increase an individual's power in the force. The exact reason behind this is unclear as it doesn’t seem to have any immediate psychoactive effects. The crystals importantly do not create a connection to the force, only increase an individual's ability to use it. This of course comes with the cost of potentially damaging effects on the lungs or throat, and the process is not known to be pleasant. This is generally only done if they are dead, as live crystals could absorb the water in a person, and thus grow to kill them. Though a living crystal apparently provides a far more powerful result.
    • Ingested: Much like inhalation, doing this while the crystal is still living would most likely kill the individual, as the crystal absorbs water. Unlike with inhalation the crystals do not immediately produce results, but those who regularly ingest them have seen some greater results in their abilities in the force. This boost goes away over time, and the only way to maintain it is by continuing the same amount. This could be bad for ones health, as the crystals lack any nutritional value and therefore could make someone feel full, while giving them no actual nutrition.

• Distinctions: The Kabadabi crystals can take more than one color occasionally, ranging from blue to green and turquoise. At first, Kabadabi crystals would look and feel quite hard like most crystals, the truth is they are far more brittle than the majority of inorganic crystals, and could be crushed in a regular person's palms. They are known for feeling drier when alive than when dead as they pull in water form the outside to begin to increase its size.
Strengths:
  • Can be grown more easily than inorganic crystals. Even little pieces can be returned to good size.
  • Can increase power quickly in the force through inhalation
  • Can increase power somewhat in the force through regular ingestion.
  • Could be used as a weapon if released into the air while still live (threatening lungs).
Weaknesses:
  • Fairly easy to kill. Many crystals die over the winter and some worlds are too inhospitable.
  • Crystals are relatively easy to break or crush as compared to most crystals, or most forms of motionless life like trees or algae.
  • Greater size means greater requirements for water, this means it's more likely to stop growing, or end up dying.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION
The Kabadabi crystals are an unusual type of organic crystal discovered on the planet Vran’Ti. It is assumed they began to grow, or at least become boosters of the force, only after the creation of the force nexus known as the Vran’Ti Vo Ni, but regardless, the crystals now can be found wherever they can survive. Often discovered near volcanoes or other hotspots. They are best living where water flows and they can get annual warmth. As a result some shores or rivers are full of them along their edges. This also makes them relatively easy enough to grow as long as sufficient water is available.
The Kabadabi Crystals became relatively common practice by some Vo Ni who used their empowering properties to become stronger, and are also known to be used by those with more resources available by being ingested in small amounts regularly to increase their power in the force. The crystals can be found off world, as they were relatively easy to transport and eventually someone undoubtedly ended up bringing some with them.

Last edited:
ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ʟɪɢʜᴛ
Hi Shavara Shavara , I’ll be judging your amazing sub today! I’d like to start by saying that Kabadabi crystals are amazingly unique. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a crystal submitted at as a species before! The toxicity description is particularly amazing, I’m in total awe of your creativity!

I just have a couple minor changes to request then we can this sub on the road to approval.

• Average Growth Cycle | I think you have mistakenly pressed enter here which makes your answer to growth cycle look like a bullet point all by itself. You don’t have to change this, but I wanted to put it here just in case you missed it. I would also like to see a touch more detail here. Mainly, how long does it take for a crystal to be fully formed? Do they have cycles of growth and death if they remain attached to the “vines” or “branches”? Or do they just continue to grow until someone plucks them?
  • Average Height / Length | I would love to see a range here. How long/tall are the smaller versions of the crystals? How big can they grow to be, or do they just continue to grow without anyone really knowing for certain? Remember to add these in metric!
  • Weaknesses | There are some really great things here, but this section of the sub is asking for weaknesses of the crystal itself, not weaknesses that users or people who come across them would experience when near the crystal. So the weaknesses that I’ve quoted below, while not necessarily wrong, do not need to be included in the weaknesses section. I would suggest moving them to the Toxicity section of the sub and then perhaps coming up with a few more unique crystal weaknesses. Although the two that you have already that aren’t related to ingesting the crystal are good enough on their own.
Weaknesses:
  • Inhalation is known to cause potential damage to lungs and throat.
  • ngestion takes time and it’s effects can be less great.
  • Ingestion can risk mal-nutrition as the crystals take up space but offer no nutrition.
  • Inhalation and ingestion of a live crystal could be deadly as they absorb water and grow.

Apart from those few little things I’m really impressed overall by this sub. It’s really interesting, and like I said before I don’t think I’ve ever come across a crystal subbed as a species! I’m super excited to see what you do with them in character!

Andromeda Malvern Andromeda Malvern Thanks! I wanted a special crystal but realized I needed a few more organic traits than they'd have.

Also I've changed the weaknesses to toxicity, and added a few for clarification in their place. I changed the Average Growth Cycle a little to try and incorporate some of what you said. The Height/Length thing I changed a bit, there's not really a specific length or height they stop at, so it became more a matter of if they can continue to live off their size. I think crocodiles have a similar issue?

Anyway, thank you again! Hopefully I've fixed appropriately, if not, I can come back to work on it.

ᴛʜᴇ ʟᴏꜱᴛ ʟɪɢʜᴛ
Shavara Shavara , the changes you've made are perfect! Please don't think of me as being nit picky but could I ask that you change "inch" to cm in your average height/length section? The rules specifically state that all units should be in metric :) For reference an inch is roughly 2.54cm!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom