Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just Finished DA: Inquisition (Spoiler Warning!!!)

Cypra Krum

"No Power without Pain"
So yeah finally finished the ENTIRE game. Felt like forever because I'm something of a completion-nut and tried to get everything done before the big final act. Just thought like giving this little review because I'm still so hyped up about it. And, fyi, mine's only PS3 so idk how much it differs from the other systems aside from graphics. Feel free to tell me whatever else is different if I miss anything. And this is only my first play-through so, again, no idea how it might differ from others.

So the game-play is pretty solid and fluent. I really like that instead of button mashing like moving a chess piece in the first game or button mashing in the second this combat system felt a lot more grounded and easier to use. I'll admit I did sort of like DA2's way of making it feel like every hit I actually made as fast as possible but here it's still interactive enough. And the interface with the other characters works pretty well too, it just helps to know what each of their moves are before you use them.

The areas to explore are just plain amazing. Everything feels like a mini-Skyrim map which can be fun but sometimes it was a little annoying to know I still had a ways to go before reaching the other end of the map and finding every possible area. Still it's great that we finally have mounts as well because they're a huge help and their fun to ride, both for getting around as well as stampeding into enemies. But the details and the different ruins and iconic areas you see are astounding. You real do feel like the place you're in has a history and it's just a random spot on the map.

The overall addition of a base and the use of the War Table fit perfectly with Inquisition's upgrade over the previous games. It was nice to have one big place that you could customize, at least after you're out of Haven and in Skyhold, and it's convenient for finding where you're companions are to talk with them. More like a redone version of the camp from DA:O but more interactive and pretty to look at. And the war table is so much fun to use for finding new missions and gathering resources and influence for the inquisition. It really did feel like I was mapping out a campaign though I do wish there was a little more to see from it, like one of the smaller missions you do actually effects how certain people will think of you.

Then come the companions themselves and I have to say I had the same feeling for them as I did for the previous ones, some I like some I don't but overall unique and enjoyable. Varric is great to have back, same for Cassandra even if she wasn't technically a companion in DA2. Blackwall was okay, if a bit boring in how he talked and easy to appeal to if you played nice all the time. At first I didn't like Vivienne but as the game progressed I started to like her more. I loved, and romanced, Sera especially because she reminded me of a friend of mine from high school. Cole tended to get on my nerves because I didn't know what he approved and what he disapproved of half the time. Iron Bull was like a best friend or big brother I would want around all the time given how fun he is. Solas was hard to read at first but, after what happens in the story, I realized why and sort of hated him for it. Finally there was Dorian was pretty pampas, and I don't like those kind of people irl, but given his back-story I was a little more sympathetic.

The adviser characters I liked a little more. Cullen I always thought was a little paranoid in previous games but here he's loosened up a little and that's cool. Leliana I wish could've come on more missions, and that I could've romanced her all over again. Finally Josephine is great too, and given what I've heard you go through to romance her I might try it on my next play through.

Finally I thought the story was pretty great too. Some stuff I called at the beginning while other things did surprise me; the thing with Solas did remind me a little of Anders. It was great to see characters from before come back, especially Hawke and Morrigan were my favorites to see return. I wish the Warden actually came back, because he lived in my DA:O, but maybe because of how I played the other games he didn't come back. Not sure if anyone else saw their wardens return. And when Flemeth returned I actually had to clap because she's a mysterious beast of a woman who I love no matter if she's evil or not. I really liked the way they did the endings, a neat re-tread on how DA:O was done which I liked. It does leave for a possible sequel but at least it wasn't sequel baiting like DA:2.

So that's my review of the game overall. What did the rest of you think?

I played the game and beat it once so far and... doing everything I could for that playthrough found it meh... It was better then two the environments were just a huge a upgrade, the combat ten times better and you are right no button mashing. I could kill everything before really using a special skill in Dragon Age 2. Still prefer origins but this was a good game just not as great. The companions are well like companions you said it.. some are really cool some are not and some are just there. I haven't touched the multiplayer... I barely enjoyed it in ME 3 and saw no real need for it in here. It was better at least then ME 3's ending and felt better but I am not really hyped to do another playthrough as soon as I did with Origin's

In Umbris Potestas Est
[member="Cypra Krum"]

Fair enough point... But considering all the effort and all the the demons that are supposed to be coming from the Fade... shouldn't they have all the types of demons and all the types of possessed enemies?

Catherine Romanov

C
Lol. I'm actually nearly 35 hours into the game, but I'm still in the hinterlands. I've been stuck with more than two days in the character creator, trying to create one that I liked, and there were just so many instances were I thought I made a good looking one, and then the first few cut scenes rolled and I was like, god who is that ugly thing!!

But I finally managed to create one that I liked at last after almost 2 days, and now I'm finally playing the game.

Damn Hinterlands is huge. I just managed to rescue the farmer's ruffalo last night.

Finished the main campaign. I can understand why some people are saying that the central storyline is weak - mostly because the game doesn't really revolve around it much like Dragon Age Origins revolved around stopping the Blight with every location visited.

A lot of places were just, "Go here! There's something that's supposed to be interesting." Final boss fight wasn't as epic as I'd hope, especially since the one against him in DA2 was ridiculous.

Still fun, though. I mostly play for the lore. Wondering if, with that post-credits stinger, Bioware is going to go with expansion packs or DLC, or if Bioware is making a quick sequel (a la DA2 again).

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
[member="Darth Junra"]

I am hoping for a mix of both like they did with Origins.

Expansions to add on more main story and maps. (Awakening)

DLC to add quests and packs (Stone Prisoner, Return, Warden's Keep)

Have the expansions give new large area's, the DLC will add smaller to mid sized area's like towns where things can happen.

Then have some cool item/weapon/armor packs that are released as well

One "rumor" (wanting most likely) was there might be a deep roads with thiags and the tunnels which could be a cool and fun map to have or go to some of the other cities, go after the Warden (needs to have romanced Morrigan, left with her in witch hunt and had a child)

Matsu Ike said:
go after the Warden
The Hero of Fereldan is very unlikely to appear in any major form for a while (unless he's replaceable with the Warden-Commander, which is doable yet still have some of the same problems). The Hero of Fereldan's personality is something that'll be hard to get "right." Hawke was able to make his appearance since his personality boiled down to one of three possible choices. There could easily be a basis. The Hero could be much more nuanced, and his personality would have to be decided mostly on the choices you made in Dragon Age: Origins - making this a very complicated process. This is probably the biggest reason why he hasn't made an actual reappearance in either Dragon Age 2 or Dragon Age: Inquisition. Bioware would have to choose personality traits for the Hero - which would likely tick off the majority of people that played Dragon Age: Origins.

For example, the Hero can be a Mage. However, there are no choices in the keep that demonstrate whether or not the Hero would support the Mage rebellion. To be honest, a hook for which boon the Hero asks of the new Fereldan ruler would be the best as it gives the best insight on the Hero's personality. Those choices were:
  • Become Chancellor of Fereldan
  • Become Teyrn of Gwaren
  • Grey Wardens receiving Howe's estate (Human Noble)
  • Install an Elven Bann for Denerim's Alienage (City Elf)
  • Fereldan's Circle of Magi is given independence (Mage)
  • Dalish are given territorial sovereignty (Dalish Elf)
  • Fereldan aids the Dwarves in the Deep Roads (Dwarf)
  • A statue dedicated to the Grey Wardens is made
  • Decline the boon
  • Opt to choose a boon later
There's also future plans:
  • Stay in Denerim
  • Rebuild Grey Wardens in Fereldan
  • Search for Morrigan (Male)
  • Return to Orzammar (Dwarf)
  • Return to clan (Dalish)
  • Return to Highever (Noble)
  • Continue adventures
  • Be unsure
I think all of these give good insight on what the Hero of Fereldan is at the end of his journey, but still, it's sad for those to not be in the Keep.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
[member="Darth Junra"] well I know where my Warden is.... Morrigan told me when I was talking to her about her love and she sent a message off to him. He was looking for a way to extend his and all wardens lives. I do agree though that there is a great deal that can happen and factor into it. Will have to see what could happen or hope for something. That my Warden and Hawke are related made it kind of funny (Human Mage is an Amell, Hawke's family name is Amell.. Cullen makes it an interesting moment when you talk to him on 2) I also have another game where my warden married anora (alternate save married Alistar) so see what they might say as well. They could even go the route of hunting for the hero but not finding him just some clues or he leads to the griffons that have been resurrected in last flight for the Wardens.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Definitely felt like saying goodbye in a lot of strange ways. Like playing a new hero in a world that was fading away. Even when I saved the world and threw down the Old Enemy, I had the strangest little prick of sorrow for knowing that it just wouldn't be the same world anymore. Like retirement come early. Like closing the book and finding the back cover empty.

There are a lot of stories that I enjoy thinking about the "Happily Ever After" after the credits have finished. Yet, for all it's triumphs, DragonAge never seems to give me that level of closure. It always ends but never feels warmly complete. :(

8/10 - Would experiment with again. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom