Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just a Common Trip

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner
There were times when one wants to just get away from it all. Time to breath, time to stretch and time to forget about duties and responsibilities. This was one of those days. It wasn't like Kay planned for being away ALL day. Just for part of a day. Or at least that was her plan.

She had sent word via a friend to [member="Marina DeVoe"] , a pilot with her own ship that was in the area and was for hire. Plenty of pilots like that came into CSA space. They were one of the top trading hubs in the Galaxy, with Commenor as it's capital. War had not come to their borders since before their founding. Plenty of people took refuge there and enjoyed the freedom of peace.

Dressed in her light armour and sunglasses, Kay wasn't recognized while she approached Marina's ship at the space port in Chasin City. What was the name her friend gave? Oh yes, Cessy. Kay cleared her throat. "I'm looking for Marina. Is she here?....Or at a bar someplace?" The last bit was spoken quietly. Isn't a bar where most pilots go? It's been a while since she's not been in charge. So she was out of the habit of how regular people operated.

Marina DeVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
It had taken longer to get her credits than it took to unload the goods. Still, she had dealt with the buyer before and it was one who never carried such credits on them in person..not even here. But just like before the credits rolled into her account an hour later. Just as well, for Marina needed to top off her fuel reserves and the credits had come just in time for her to pay for the fuel. It had been a good profit and one of the more easier transport that she had lately. Reason she liked to deal with customers she had good experiences with, There were few out there and those that she could find or got lucky enough to discover on their first deal, Marina kept them on her -Good List.-

Her ship the Mariner IV was a reconditioned vessel from the Old Republic that had been originally designed as a scout ship. With some modifications, like taking out all the armaments and military hardware, she had turned it into a small freighter/transport. Naturally what had been cramped crew cabins were expanded to modest, but more luxurious private cabins. In short, the Mariner IV had two large Capt size cabins forward and 6 passenger cabins. All on the second level. Lower levels were cargo bay areas, air locks and such. But what the Mariner IV lacked in armaments, she made up in maneuverability and a fast nav comp and quick jump drive.

Marina was outside, making final inspection on the ship's landing struts when a slender figure approached her.
The blond pilot turned to the woman who seemed to inquire about her. marina looked her over and could tell it wasn't anyone looking for her for credits due or anything for most of all her debts were paid in full..or so she prayed at the moment.

" Uhm.. .I'm Marina." She answered eyeing the woman to determine what was up, as the part of finding her at a bar were-.
Well it were unorthodox to say the least.
Not that Marina didn't visit such establishments, but it were no place she would go alone. After all, she herself didn't even carry mace, let alone a stun gun or a weapon of any kind. So going to bars on her own was something she didn't quite do or even care for. But with a friend..sure! Only that Marina had no real friend in this port, so... so, if she wanted a drink, she would make one before relaxing in her cabin.

"Can I help you with something?" She then replied, ascertaining that this woman however official she stood at the moment, had somehow been directed to find her. For if Marina had been in some sort of violation, they, or this woman would have had a hologram of her already. Besides, the woman's demeanor didn't at all suggest she was irate and looking to settle something amiss with her. Marina unknowingly projected a nice friendly smile.

Kay-Larr

Kay bowed her head to [member="Marina DeVoe"] as she acknowledged who she was. It came at no surprise that the woman sized her up. She would've done the same thing if someone had approached her in such a way.

"Yes. My name is K--I mean, Cessy. I was hoping that I could hire transport for a day. Nothing too far, just on the other side of Commenor. Are you available?" Kay gave her a smile back, genuine of course, yet she made no move to raise her sunglasses. The last thing that she needed right now was to be recognized. If that were the case, then she'd never get away.

Although both her husband and herself have often walked the city's streets to be among the people and to speak with them, now just wasn't the time. Kay wanted to relax without any of her usual guards or people to see her. It was time to be a normal person again. At least for a little while.

Marina DeVoe

Marina was taken back a moment.
The slight look of confusion was all too apparent. Why would someone book such a transport as her ship when that very trip could well be done with a shuttle if a high altitude speeder couldn't make the time? The Mariner IV did book many such intercontinental flights, but normally with a group, as the fare for a ship of her size...even for a small 45 meter class transport... was more expensive to book because of all the accommodations it had for passengers, beside the larger engines and fuel consumption. Not that it wasn't efficient, no...but why overpower such a short intercontinental trip?

"Uhm..Cassey..." Marina began.
"... I'm assuming it is just you, right?..." she continued. By the look of the woman, it had been apparent that she was dressed to go, not just here to inquire and then book a flight for later.
But to pay such a fare for a mere in-planetary flight with the type class ship she had, weighed on Marina's common sense, to just say yes. Or rather, her good business ethics, couldn't overcharge this woman when there were more economical options. She had to point out the woman's options, or Marina wouldn't feel she dealt in a fair transaction.

"..well, you are aware that there are other more economical means of transportation to where you currently wish to go..right?" Marina just had to be honest. It was the only way she did business.

"I mean...well..." She gestured to some local speeders parked outside the port, then luck had it that a shuttle happened to be passing a bit over the building.
"...there are more economical flights like limo-speeders and shuttles that could make near as good a time as my ship. I can't legally go past Mack-3 below low orbit. Unless you wish to break orbit and...and sight see from space?" Lord, Marina hoped she wasn't offending the woman, as she should know all of that..right? The look of sincerity on Marina's features were one that projected concern and honesty.
But too, if the woman knew exactly what she was asking and willing to book an expensive flight just to get to the other part of the planet's hemisphere with a light corvette type ship...well, then it would be ethical.

"Honestly...no offense...I just want to let you be aware that it's not cheap if you want to book a flight with me..."

[member="Lady Kay"]

Kay-Larr

Cessy, Cassey, what was the difference? It was a fake name anyways. Perhaps [member="Marina DeVoe"] was just testing her. "It's Cessy, actually..."

Kay let her pose her questions. Sure there were cheaper and smaller vessels that were at her disposal. Heck, she could've just used one of her own. But that wouldn't fulfill her purpose. How could she expect to be treated as a normal person if she was under guard and with people that knew her for what she was?

"No offence taken, and I know that it's a little unorthodox, but you'll be compensated. And yes, it'll be just me and I'm ready to go. I can give your pilot the co-ordinates." Unbeknownst to Marina, Kay had a backpack on, which she now slipped off and opened. It wasn't a large backpack, just a small enough one to carry some rations. She held it open for her to inspect, that way she knew there was nothing dangerous. "It'll be a round trip of course. I'd hate to be abandoned." There was always a chance for that.

Marina DeVoe

"My apologies..." Marina replied, at her tongue twister. She had simply mispronounced the woman's name...silly of her. But she could have sworn that the C had first come out of the woman's vocals as a K at first...she was certain of it.
But it was understandable to be corrected. It would have been a bigger misdemeanor if the woman had not and she had continued to adress her as Cassey for the possible duration of the trip.

"... Cessy, I come from a house which has kept it's old provincial dialect intact and basic as a matter of fact, is a second language to us. " She explained after the woman corrected her and after figuring that Cessy was certainly aware of securing a flight with such a larger than needed vessel. Marina ascertained that perhaps money, or credits as many systems commonly used, was no object.

Then out of the blue, and before Marina could speak to object, the woman opened up her pack in a gesture indicative that she was disclosing her personal items for her to inspect. Marina's eyes could do no other than being lead down to the open pack to look. This did put Marina in a little of an uncomfortable position. But she thought it best just to nod, approve whatever the woman was disclosing to bring on board with a friendly smile.
No biggie,as there was now apparently something between them that was getting lost in translation and customs even. Best just keep it simple and to the point, Marina figured...things always have a way to properly connect. So she hoped.

"I'm your taxi..." She then tried making a small jest out of it, as she gestured a welcome aboard.
Shoot...what if the woman didn't get it, she thought, as she took to lead up the ramp.
"Uhm... I mean, no. I don't leave anyone behind. Think of me as your personal chauffeur, Cessy..." She then went on to maybe explain her meaning a little bit better.

"...of course, your pilot too if you don't mind it." She went on to say with a light heartened laugh.
Hopefully the woman wouldn't mind a semi global trip piloted by a woman. If the woman now simply turned around or went ahead and gave her the coordinates, Marina would surely find out.

Kay-Larr

Kay bit her tongue. Did she offend [member="Marina DeVoe"] when she had coreected her? It wasn't her intention. Now she had wished that she had just stuck with the name that Marina had called her. Oh she was such a horrible liar. There was no easier book to read than her face. One would think that that'd make her a bad politician, yet instead it had made her a respected one.

There was a pause as Marina looked over her backpack. Was Kay really that out of touch that she was doing everything wrong? It wasn't as though she was a born and bred blueblood. On the contrary, she had worked very hard and suffered much pain and tears to get where she was. Yet it wasn't a position that she had ever planned for herself. Politics kept her tightly in it's grip.

Kay gave a relieved smile as she was ushered inside, slinging the backpack over her shoulders once again. She blinked a little at hearing that Marina was the pilot. "You're the pilot as well? Have you got no other crew on board?" That would certainly make things easier. "I don't mind at all. It should be a fun little trip. I just need to get away... to get out there and stretch my legs. Do you like hiking at all?" She handed Marina the co-ordinates for Juniper Canyon, a destination known for a natural labyrinth.

Marina DeVoe

"Hiking?.." Marina turned to look over Cessy.
The woman was quite serious about it and the fact that she just didn't wish for a chauffeur, but a sort of guide maybe? Marina's perspective about the woman went in the way that perhaps Cessy, like herself, was not of this system at all and just wanted to sight see. Well, one good thing was clear, she didn't mind a girl pilot.

"Uhm... I've hiked a trail or two... at home...yes." She replied, not yet letting on that she were from the Northern Providences of her home world. It were all mountain peaks and trails. If one did not take a speeder or transport, they'd have to foot the snow and ice covered trails. Yes, she hiked..she mountain climbed like the indigenous steep rams and ice foxes and the like that roamed the Aeiden Mountains.
Cessy without hesitation gave her the coordinates, which Marina was quick to enter into the nav comp. It didn't have to search at all as the flight path came up as soon as she punched in the last digit.

"Hmm..." Marina looked over a quick preview of the flight, which was rendered from the system map by which the Mariner IV had received upon her initial approach to the system and then cleared for landing according to instructions. All that was from what the sky marshals had sent over to her upon ship identification and clearance. It was a standard mapping of the entire planet, minus very important key and strategic/government locations and details. Still, it provided a very clear and realistic 3-D mapping of all authorized geographical locations. And the place where Cessy wished to do her hiking was quite interesting...at least in how it was 3-D rendered. Marina would have to see for herself if it was as beautiful as the map rendered it.

"..very nice. I wouldn't mind a good walk there at all..." She turned to Cessy with a genuine smile. maybe they could get a chance to talk and maybe get that troublesome translation part out of the way. And maybe if they got talking while they hiked that she could find out where Cessy was from. For Marina still thought at the moment that the woman was from another system and just booked the Mariner IV to do some sight seeing.

Kay-Larr

Well at least [member="Marina DeVoe"] wasn't a complete city dweller. It was good that she'd done a bit of hiking. Kay took a seat wherever she could, avoiding the pilot's chair of course. She watched as the course was layed out, observing how it looked on the 3D map. Very interesting. Although she didn't study it too hard, not wanting to solve the natural labyrinth before she even got there.

Marina seemed a little unsure. Maybe it was because she knew that Kay was lying. Either way, it wasn't until the ship was on it's way that she removed her sunglasses and put them in her backpack. "I love a good hike and solving puzzles. This maze I haven't tried yet. It's been a while since I've had the time and I don't expect to be successful, but it's certainly worth a try."

Now was the time for a little bit of chit-chat. Sometimes silence was uncomfortable. "Do you pass through this system a lot?" Her answer wpuld give Kay a moderate idea of what it was like elsewhere among the trade routes.

Marina DeVoe

"First time really..." She replied eyes occasionally looking over the displayed nav, as the ship was actually flying...flying through the atmosphere instead of going into low orbit and then descend down toward their destination. The Mariner was doing just slightly under Mack-2, as there was a providence they were to go over that didn't allow anything faster to fly overhead due to the sonic boom..even at high altitude.

"I mean, the shipping company that normally makes delivery here is Cetril Enterprises. I'm sort of one of their owner/operator employees. I asked to make this one delivery...a cashe of high carbon filters for the local distributor that in turn supplies distilleries here I imagine..." Marina explained her purpose here, or at least this initial delivery she had just completed.

"I think they make and export whiskey on this system.." She shrugged her shoulders, as it wasn't something she was all too interested in anyway, but mentioned it to clarify the connection with the filters she delivered and the end product.

She didn't mind talking about it, although it was sort of small talk. But that kind of chit-chat always opened up doors to getting to know someone a bit better and then maybe leading to real good conversations. And Cessy looked like she had quite good stories and things to say. For starters, she too loved exploring and that was grounds alone to possibly becoming friends, so to speak.

"But it wasn't for the delivery commission that I asked to take on a delivery here. It's actually a test run for me... you know, like for a possible new contract coming up...or at least one that's going to be negotiated with some government official or something like that..." Marina looked over the screen again and then out in the ever approaching horizon, when it could be seen through the clouds the ship was pushing through like a projectile.

"And you?....What brings you to this system?" Marina was still under the impression that Cessy was also here as a visitor.

Kay-Larr

Kay nodded. There were plenty of first timer's coming about. Commenor wasn't entirely a popular place. It was tucked away in a corner of the Galaxy that most didn't think about. And that was just fine by her.

Again she nodded about the reason that brought [member="Marina DeVoe"] to this sector. Bringing in supplies for their businesses wasn't out of the ordinary. CSA space was a great hub for trade and she did her best to make sure that it stayed that way. Plenty of deals were made to help ensure that. "They make brandy here, actually. Commenori brandy. I've only had a little of it. It's not bad."

It was a contract that she was after? Or at least interested in? Hmmm. Kay wondered what type of contract. One primarily for shipping? Or something else? She wasn't quite certain. At least not yet. That'll come about later.

"Me?" Kay hesitated for a moment, moreso because she wasn't sure of what to say. The truth was better, but she couldn't give out any real details just yet. Obviously Marina didn't recognize her, even with her sunglasses off. That'll make it for a nicer trip. "Work brought me here. Same as you. Just in a different field. And it's kept me here for a while."

Marina DeVoe

"Oh...brandy..." It were better than whiskey, she thought. Maybe on their return flight she'd stop in and get a liter or two to try it.

Marina nodded, taking in a mental note to maybe have Cessy tell her about the type of venture she was in here on this system.
But with the Mariner IV darting toward their destination at near Mach-2, they were nearing their destination. The nav comp beeped an alert which drew Marina's attention to the console and took the cue that her turn was up.

"I'm sorry..." She said, swinging her pilot chair forward again.
She wasn't cutting her guest short, as she was indeed interested in what line of work Cessy may be involved in. It was always interesting to find out what motivated people to choose their destiny.
"We're coming up on those coordinates and have to guide the ship in manually." Marina took off the auto pilot which had arched their flight through the system's atmosphere, and now it had to start slowing down and descent so that they could locate an optimal landing site.

"Ah, yes...I see it coming up ahead now." Juniper Canyon was becoming distinct in the distance. The Mariner had dropped to just a few hundred meters over the landscape as it came up on the canyon.

"Wow...nothing at all like the holo map.." She said in awe of the immediate terrain rushing by below.

"Cessy....you have any preferences as to where you wish for us to put down?"
It was after all, the woman's trip. And seeing as there were quite a few optimal landing sites around the canyon without actually going into it, Marina would follow her wish.

Kay-Larr

Kay lightly shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing to be sorry for. It's a nice place to be, untouched by the wars going on elsewhere. Plus it's beautiful."

[member="Marina DeVoe"] soon piloted her ship near the Juniper Canyon. It was an incredible sight to see. Tall rocky formations intermingled within the canyon walls itself. Vegetation grew in some areas, and shadows enveloped others. The canyon walls themselves easily dwarfed the vessel, reaching a few hundred feet in the air, having been carved by ancient rivers that had since been reduced to streams.

"Anywhere on the outside, near an opening for us to go in." She just didn't want to observe from the top and sort of cheat by preplanning the rought. No. Kay wanted to go into this one with a fresh mind.

Marina DeVoe

Marina almost gave her a double take. But her attention was at maneuvering 50 meters of ship down a natural irregular canyon trying not to rub against anything.
" No.. " she chuckled. "I meant, 'sorry' for seeming like I was cutting you off, Cessy." Marina didn't want her to think that she had negative doubts of the system.

"You were telling me about the brandy that this system exports as we were coming up on the canyon...I needed to take control of these" Her fingers drummed on the ship's controls.
"I'm quite interested in that sort of commerce, if you know a little about it on this system.." She explained as she took to descend down to the lower portion of the canyon. There was an optimal clear and level area...a good patch of flat dried clay which looked like the old river bank. And what remained of the river that carved this portion of the canyon was just a hundred meters away.

" Well..we're here.." Marina then said after a slight shudder indicating touch down. Mostly it were because of the dried clay the Mariner IV's weight fractured under her landing struts. Typical, of such undisturbed terrain.
She then powered down the engines.
The surrounding area most certainly looked rural, with no signs that it was frequented by anyone as of late...or for quite some time.

Kay-Larr

Kay just mouthed the word 'Oh' as [member="Marina DeVoe"] explained her apoligy. Oops. Kay was so used to people being a certain way that she never really thought much differently.

Her eyes were drawn to the viewport as Marina flew them in, almost making it seem easy in the way that she maneuvered through the canyon walls. "Oh I don't drink the stuff myself, really. I'm more into tea. But I know that it's quite the popular export here, right next to chrysopaz gemstones." Although expensive, there were far more valuable gemstones and lightsaber crystals found elsewhere. So thieves and pirates stayed away.

No sooner did she say that that they arrived. Kay just grinned, getting up from her seat. "It looks wonderful. Shall we?"

Marina DeVoe

"Chrysopaz... very nice." Marina replied nodding the fact.

"For the life of me, I don't know why they are so underrated as such commercially, as they are quite more beautiful than the leading commerce ones the guild is peddling.."
Marina took a moment to secure the Mariner for her departure. It weren't often that she'd leave her ship parked in the middle of a deserted canyon. Or anywhere unfamiliar except in a secured dock.
But she was just a few steps behind Cessy, and as they headed down the corridor exiting the cockpit, a R unit was coming up the opposite way.
0nLEsRv.jpg

"The ship's yours TK..." Marina instructed it, as she stepped slightly aside for it to pass. The little tin can just beeped as it turned its top turret to scan the other woman and continued on its way into the cockpit. The droid always made an appearance each and every time the Mariner IV landed or was called for by either the ship's diagnostic or Marina herself. At times and on long solo trips it doubled as a traveling companion. Only that Marina needed a translator to decipher its beeps and such. That, she had on her wrist crono, as she was versed very little on digital languages.

"Jut one little pit stop, Cessy..." Marina touched her cabin door which was just outside the cockpit and it slid open. "...my pack."
She had to waste non of their time or keep Cessy waiting too long as she already had a small backpack on the floor next to her berth. It was her bug-out pack and it served well on outings such as the one she was heading with Cessy.

The ramp retracted on its own once they both were outside. Marina took a moment to look about and take in the distinct aromas of the flora down in this part of the canyon. "Mmm...nice.."

Kay-Larr

Kay didn't worry so much about the value of the chrysopaz gemstones. The less sought after they were, than the less people would try to steal them. It was far better that way. Other planets have been destroyed due to one group wanting something that the planet had. At least theirs would be safe.

She raised a brow at the little droid that [member="Marina DeVoe"] had. Kay used to have one herself until it was crushed by a Sith Lord. Oh how she loved that spunky little droid. She didn't have the heart to replace it, mostly because she didn't want the newer model to be destroyed too. Sometimes she just couldn't have nice things. It might be safe now, but she still didn't want to chance it.

When Marina was ready, she stepped down the ramp into the fresh air. Kay paused for a moment, taking in a deep breath as she let it out slowly. "Just lovely." With a grin she set off, her head always moving, both to look at the high canyon walls, as well as the floor so that she doesn't trip. "This is just what I needed, thank you. No one here but us and the canyon." She grinned, holding onto the straps of her backpack as she walked. The trail twisted and spread out, giving them many different avenues to take. Kay chewed the inside of her cheek and decided to go left. It was darker there, more in the shadows, but that could just be due to the time of day. "We'll just have to keep track of our route."

Marina DeVoe

Marina had turned to give her ship a last look over, when Cessy took the lead.
Everything looked copacetic, despite she couldn't eye her droid from down below. Then again, TK was most likely going over some ship diagnostics and as faithful as ever, would have her ship all cleaned and at the ready for a quick fire up and take off.
In giving it the once over, she found herself lagging behind. With a few quick steps she caught up to Cessy who seemed to already be enjoying her walkabout.

"I was overdue myself for a good stretching of my legs." she replied.
And indeed she were. She had grown up in the Aeiden Mountains of Northern Alderaan. She was a mountain climber that loved long trails and overnight camp outs. But not one that scaled tall peaks, but one that enjoyed mountain trails, passes and treking down valleys to see the end result of the melting snow and ice that came from her mountains.

"I've always had a love for the stars, to explore new worlds...but honestly, with that comes a lot of iddle time. Lots of sitting and reading in a sealed hermetic vessel.." She was good at small talk when treking. But it were the truth. Her love for the stars kind of kept her in more ways than most inside a confined ship.
When an opportunity would arise to do explore a system, Marina was all game.

In a way, she knew that it would be Cessy that she's say thank you to. And the way Cessy enjoyed her surroundings, it were in line with that of Marina's.
Cessy then made a good suggestion as to keep tabs on where they were walking.
"I'll try...but so far it's been staright on through and one left-" She stopped mid-sentence as she now realized that the small river they had kept to their right, was one of many branches of similar rivers and streams that were cutting through the narrow canyons. It weren't just one or two simple trails following one river bank.

"Oh... Ok....yea, I see what you mean..." She chuckled. Their adventure was going to take them in some very interesting twists and turns.

Kay-Larr

Kay smirked to herself. She used to long for the stars too, and had travelled a lot, but usually it was in public transport. It wasn't until she lost her seat in the Republic Senate that she had gained her own ship and hired a pilot that was stepping out of retirement out of boredom.

Reading however, that was a hobby that she enjoyed very well. There wasn't a lot of time for ger to lose herself in a good mystery, but Kay did so when she could. Today though was a day that she wanted something different.

Kay laughed a little as [member="Marina DeVoe"] got the idea of why they needed to keep track of where they were going. "Oh yes indeed. A trick that I use is to make unnatural formations with stones." She chewed the inside of her cheek as she stopped and glanced about, collecting a half dozen small stones. She then made a bit of a circle with them on the left side, out of the way so that it wouldn't be trampled. "Putting them on the side that we turned helps to let us know which way to come back, plus show us which way that we went." It was a trick that she had used a bunch of times in her hedge maze at the Palace.

Marina DeVoe

"Stones?...." She wondered if she heard Cessy right.
But without delay, the woman gathered some polished river rocks at their dry side of the bank and did just that;make a sort of marker.

"Stones.." Marina amusingly replied nodding as Cessy put what looked like the last stone down and continued on to explain.

"Ok..yea...that's.." How difficult were to finds words for such a simple and effective way to mark their trails..
".that's pretty neat...and simple too." she remarked.

Marina looked around, seeing if there were any indication of similar markers.There were none.
"I never thought of that. Well...never really had to." She then thought of the two other times that such a simple use of stones could have saved her hours elsewhere.
"I'm certainly going to remember that..." She beamed over to Cessy.
"You don't know how many times I could have used something like that.." Marina was genuinely intrigued, as she loved hiking and discovering new trails or just hike without trails.
And she was not one to leave electronic markers to spoil the natural trails herself.
No.
So in such situations as those, she'd simply wing it and rely on memory and in worst case scenarios; hail her droid to send out a beacon from the ship for her to follow.

"I guess then you've been to some remote places...aside from this one, huh?.." Marina chuckled.
"How or where did you learn to use natural materials for landmarks? If I were just hiking on my own and passed these, I would have not taken too much notice of what it was or its meaning, " She stood a bit back looking at the simple layout. It fit so natural here among the many river rocks. only if one were to look then the pattern was easy to spot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom