Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction Joyful and Triumphant [FO + Friends]

Resurgent Narrative

R
9KFIdI4.png

Avalonia had seen quite the year and so had her people, the days and months spent dreaming of rebuilding had finally come true. Their city was filled with splendor as it had been in years past. Snow fell from the sky above and each flake brought with it a promise of renewed hope. The men and women who had made this day possible were those who served whether that was in the armed forces, engineering corps, medical or civil services. Life Day had always been a huge celebration but this year, this year it was going to be a magnificent celebration a way to honor everything that the First Order had accomplished this year. A beautiful tree, thirty meters tall even, was well on its way to Avalonia and as was the tradition on Dosuun each city and town would add something to the tree!
The gift that Avalonia would give, would be the star.
This year, that star bore the crown emblem, and even better this year there would be decorations from all around the First Order. Skye sent barrels filled with rowan tigs, and crates filled with something they called the yule bread. Seoul delivered boxes upon boxes of beautiful handmade ornaments, Baralou sent poinsettia flowers to be added around the trim, Gilaria sent handmade parols or paper stars, Mephout sent fruits and handwritten poetry from citizens all across their planet, and Tholon too sent special gifts to add to the tree. As the tree was brought up along the roads people gathered on horseback and followed it through.
Some sang songs, and in each town, they were welcomed with warm food and delicious hot cocoa.
The people of Dosuun and indeed throughout the First Order were reminded that not everyone had something to celebrate. The war in the galactic north and the atrocities in the east left many in the galaxy as refugees. Whether it had been the spirit of Life Day or the empathy from a nation that suffered for six long years in occupation to those who now had to decide their fate. Stay and wait for the war to arrive in the north, try the hand of fate against the genocide that seemed to be inevitable in the east. The First Order and its people stood ready to welcome them, sharing what they could to help refugees find life here in the First Order a little easier.
Finally. As the Life Day tree was brought up the main road to Avalonia proper, making its way past Remembrance Field - the Constabulary closed the streets. The Army and the Engineers worked together to move the tree through the narrow roads and up toward the Royal Plaza. The sun still set high, with clouds moving across its path and the snow kept falling. Pushed this way and that by the winds that gently touched the noses of each citizen there in Avalonia. Music from carolers young and old in various parts of the city could be heard among the traffic, and the ambiance of shoppers merrily spending their hard-earned sovereigns.
As the tree made its way through, each would stop and stare, children cheerfully attempted to follow the caravan and its beautiful prize. Others would add just a little something they had, sometimes a sovereign, sometimes a little piece of candy, all in the name of Life Day. The tree even made its way by Governance Row, where civil service members cheered it on for today was the day that the tree would not only be decorated but at night, it would be lit up for the entire city to see. Oh, more than just the city, the planet, and perhaps the entirety of the First Order.
Truly this year there was something to be said of the joyful and triumphant.
vXbMJVk.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Ariel Yvarro

A
En Route to Avalonia
The sound of hooves against the cobblestone paved road accompanied by the sounds of repulsor vehicles was unique to Avalonia. A sound that Ariel hoped to hear for many years to come, she sat opposite of her cousin Her Majesty Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan and on her part Ariel was enjoying the melody of sounds around them. From the winds own sweet whispers to the chorus of townsfolk who would rush to greet those whose job it was to bring the Tree of Life to the Royal Plaza. Ariel watched as snow flurries touched the ends of her uniform and smiled. "Reminds me of my first Life Day with you."
"Do you remember it?" Ariel inquired and then waited for the delicate nod from her cousin. "You put out the hot cocoa and sat with myself and Ryssa, and we watched the Corellian classic, 'Mr. Bailey." The gesture brought Ariel more joy that day than she had ever known up to that point. She was a young girl who had been left with a woman she scarcely knew but had only been told that they were cousins. The years that followed saw that Life Day got just a little bit brighter. "I'll never forget it," Ariel recalled, "and for that I thank you, probably one of the happiest memories I have."
Not too far away Ariel caught a glimpse of a passenger train making its way toward Avalonia, it was marked the Dosuunian Express. "I wonder if that's the train carrying the choir, oh look, they've painted the train with Life Day decorations." She gestured toward it and hoped that her cousin could catch sight of it. The Moff's own expression simply radiated joy, "you know that year I think was the first year I was properly introduced to more Galidraani customs." She said of the first year she had been with her cousin for Life Day.
Ariel grew silent as she smiled toward the townsfolk and waved.

MOSHED-2020-12-3-11-12-57.gif

S N A K E
NEW IMPERIAL ORDER
AVALONIA | DOSUUN
THE_BOIS | Irveric Tavlar Irveric Tavlar | Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku | Jaeger Harrsk Jaeger Harrsk | Tyrell Paxxus Tyrell Paxxus | Ryv Ryv | Hunter Blackburn Hunter Blackburn | Ravraa Vyshraal Ravraa Vyshraal | Willan Tal Willan Tal

N5cG5gd.png

Life Day.

A tradition most cultures celebrated, a small relieve for people to enjoy a day's worth of peace and give thanks for what the year brought to them. Through the good or bad there was always a thing or two to be appreciative of, and complement it with a meal and gifts. Sadly, not all had the same joyful view on that holiday as some were bitter and somber. To an extent, Djorn carried that sentiment; he was no longer a boy that was filled an endless abundance of joy and glee. Those days were long gone and replaced with gloom, after all the trials and tribulations life had to offer for him. And even if he did bother in the mood, he had no family to celebrate it. Last of his line ever since the incident...

He, however, had a few things to be grateful of. Importantly, were his newfound comrades that he shed blood with for an Imperial nation free from the reigns of the Sith and finally grow the actual promises of Imperialism. A society ruled by order with prosperity for its people to enjoy. A dream, a promise worth getting the gloves off and dirtying his hands for.

Originally, not much he and his comrades planned for the holiday. The Braxant Run was nowhere near of neutralizing the nuclear radiation the Sith wrought from Article Five when they lost Mygeeto, Scipio, and Muunilist. Still much work to be done before returning those words to its proper glory. That changed when their newfound relationship with First Order invited them to celebrate the holiday. They had nothing else better to do, so maybe they could enjoy some sense of peace.

For Djorn, however, it meant potentially crossing ways with a flame he sparked on the Supreme Leader's Coronation Ball. Something nice to look forward to...maybe. It was just a night with Ariel Yvarro from their intimate emotions. It couldn't be anymore other than that, right? At least he believed so as they came from different classes of society; although, he did admit to enjoying the atmosphere between them as it was something familiar he hadn't felt in much time.

Matching with most of his colleagues, he wore his Imperial uniform and covered his frame with a coat; beret adorned his head and shades veiled his eyes. His typical attire at most gatherings. The snow descended endlessly on the streets of Avalonia, white and vibrant seasonal colors was the facade for the city. Fitting for the holidays. Djorn and his comrades were among the crowd that gathered at the Royal Plaza, though somewhat isolated themselves from the others. A cigar graced his lips as he puffed the herb, the only source of warmth to exist in the cold air as its trails of smoke disappeared in the midst.

Cigars. Another thing he was thankful of.

Last edited:
skin, bone, and arrogance
It didn't feel like the Life Day season. Natasi was still living in the Avalonia Grand Hotel, and despite her best efforts, living in someone else's space was uncomfortable. Still, Natasi went about the tasks associated with the holiday with as much panache and flair as she usually did: official and personal cards written and, for personal cards, signed by hand; Life Day luncheon and dinner menu settled with the staff; her Life Day address written. There was still much to be done -- shopping, for instance, and baking, but the latter would have to wait until she arrived to the country.

The carriage was not the most well-insulated, which Natasi had discovered thanks to its use on the day of the coronation, so she had clad herself in a fashionable fur coat and hat. She adjusted her suede gloves as they processed through the streets, then lifted her hand to wave. It was the least she could do for the people who had come to see them and wish them well in this chill.

"You and your sisters were away from your parents in a strange place for Life Day for the first time," said Natasi, not looking away from the crowds outside the window. Whatever hurt feelings may have resulted from their frank conversation at Breakriver seemed to have resolved; for Natasi herself, she didn't hold a grudge. She simply stated how things ought to be and that was that. Ariel was perhaps more sensitive, but Natasi was pleased that they were able to bond over happy memories instead of rehashing disagreements. "Of course I wanted to do anything I could to make you comfortable."

Natasi paused, turning to wave out the other side of the carriage. "You were too young to realize, of course, but that was my first Life Day alone, too. Mathes had been gone a few years but Papa -- your Uncle Frejrik -- had passed just that year. It was a big help to have you three with me, if to give me something else to dwell on." The Supreme Leader laced her gloved fingers between those on Ariel's free hand and squeezed lovingly. "Not that it wouldn't have been nice anyway."

"I'm glad you're here for this one, too," she said quietly. "That reminds me, we should compare notes on gifts for the family. I haven't finished yet but I'd rather not duplicate efforts."

ELSEWHERE . . . WITHIN THE CITY

epgYA6e.png

Above all the splendor of a busy metropolis the swirling snowflakes tickled her nose and cheeks, lazy yet mirthful in their twinkling, dancing intention. Enough to clothe the towers and streets in pretty, white speckled adornment. Enough to bring out the vibrant colors of warm scarves and shopfronts. Enough to bypass Shepard’s own acute irritation at floundering against what should have been familiar. Patiently her doctors had explained that Avalonia once served as her home for a few years. Try as she might to capture some fleeting spectre of the past, nothing would trigger, blank as she was -proving to be as effective as grasping a piece of winter in one’s hand before it melted. History lessons spared no details whenever they were available, so she was aware that this city had been rebuilt at great expense after its razing. Perhaps everything was different from her time, and as such, she could not remember.

If these palaces and monuments could be reforged, then it would only be a matter of time until she would be whole. On such a pleasing evening it was a minor handicap and easier to dismiss from her clouded heart as a worthless pursuit. More pressing issues tonight pulled her attention to the mission:

Rendezvous with Agent Naka- Isobel. Isobel.

Tonight was supposed to be a night of merriment and relaxation. To an extent. The exact phrasing Agen. . . Isobel used was a struggle to pinpoint. There was mention that this was not technically a work assignment; however, their attendance was an important function to their work. Sybil frowned at the memory, tried to play it over while envisioning her comrade’s stern and rounded face, but was suspicious that it was fumbled up somehow.

The Major pulled out her datapad and confirmed that she was at least standing at the correct meeting point -across the boulevard of Royal Plaza. Already there was a crowd gathering to be amazed by the festivities. She looked around and double checked that it was the proper time and place, though she was beginning to wonder if the bench and tree behind her was in fact the rally location. Or was it the next one over? Confound it all.

She stopped fidgeting on her device and pulled her long, black peacoat closer, clenching her hands in pockets deep so they would be encouraged to remain still.

Wb6O9UM.png

Last edited:
Tags: The Major The Major Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan Djorn Bline Djorn Bline Ariel Yvarro Hunter Blackburn Hunter Blackburn Ryv Ryv Jaeger Harrsk Jaeger Harrsk Irveric Tavlar Irveric Tavlar Tyrell Paxxus Tyrell Paxxus Lucien Dooku Lucien Dooku Ravraa Vyshraal Ravraa Vyshraal DECEASED Erskine Barran DECEASED Erskine Barran
WZCxbZ5.png

Bugger this cold.

And bugger this celebration, he was not fond of either back on Galidraan, and he hadn't seen the old home in 20 plus years. But he conceded to the fact that a lovely occasion such as this was a welcome break from the monotonous conundrum of command rooms and practically living in one's tank for half a campaign. That was scarcely as esteemed or dignified. It did, however, beat the droll that was Galidraani aristocrat balls. A young Willan could drill up many a story of how karking bored he was listening to some old Lord of an esteemed southern family harp on about his one moment of glory some decades past. He supposed he might've been the luckier son, at least he did not inherit the formalities of hosting balls and running the family estates.

Dressed in the familiar aristocratic attire befitting a Galidraani noble of military background, Willan mixed among the crowd and with other associates from the NIO. He found some solace that he was at least not one of the only Galidraani from the NIO present. Lord Erskine Barran of Galidraan III accompanied Lord Tal to the celebration. Both were military men and career soldiers. Both hadn't seen their homeland in some time. Fortune would perhaps smile upon them both and their Brigade of Galidraani exiles. The Siths grip on their turf slipped further by the day, and more Galidraanis signed up to join their Brigade. It seemed that both Lord Tal and Barran had left their homes young men, and would return as old men. But at least they would live to see the Empires fall. The same Empire that had detained many Galidraani and made other more outspoken Galidraani disappear.

Pulling a tiny flask of whiskey out of his inner pocket, he took a few quick swigs before putting it away. If he had to stand out here any longer, his fingers might freeze and fall off.

Ariel Yvarro

A
Their carriage drew nearer to the city crowds grew larger, Ariel smiled when Natasi gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "Thank you," replied Ariel quietly as the wheels crossed the cobblestone onto the smooth roads in Avalonia. "I wish I had known Uncle Frejrik, I feel like there's a lot I missed out on." She thought aloud, "mum never told us about her family, and any time she asked she just told us that it didn't matter." Until it did matter, apparently. Ariel drew in a breath and exhaled, "but then that's mother, I suppose." The Moff looked out the carriage's window and waved to the crowds that lined the street.
Natasi mentioned something about comparing notes for the family. Ariel inclined her head in agreement, "definitely, oh and Ryssa said that she'll be in just for our Life Day party but can't stay long. Something about a meeting with a supplier." Although Ariel half suspected it was Ryssa's attempt to meet her family in the middle. Ryssa had long since detached herself from the family but then there were days where no one could blame her for not wanting to be involved. "But," began Ariel on a question that played in her mind, "will George and Reima be there? It's been ages since I last saw them."
"Oh, I hope they get along with Josie and the boys, Lucy's kids." Ariel gushed momentarily, her gaze turned away from the streets of Avalonia and focused on her cousin. An afterthought, "oh and I forgot to mention, Uncle Lawrence and Aunt Cora, from Grandmother Josephine's sister Rose. They mentioned something about coming down for New Years' if we wouldn't mind hosting them."
Ariel relaxed in her seat and looked once more out the window, "oh look there's Victory Park, aw, this is going to look so amazing all lit up for Life Day." When she sat down with contractors and her parents, to rebuild the city she didn't think about just how beautiful it would be during the holidays. As Ariel happily thought on the lights and looked at the decorations that lined the city, a small burst of wind cut through the carriage and the young woman now was grateful for her coat. "Bloody netherbits it's cold, don't suppose we could bribe the weather, huh?"

Natasi didn't react to Ariel's commentary regarding Ryssa. She gathered the middle Yvarro girl was intending to make a statement about something, but it didn't make a difference to her, particularly. The Yvarro girls were mercurial women, their whims took them this way and that and attempting to anticipate or rationalize their actions was, in Natasi's experience, rather a waste of time. She merely shrugged and raised her eyebrows. "She's welcome to stay as long or as little as she likes," she said airily. "George and Reima are coming from Galidraan -- today, actually," she said and glanced at her delicate platinum wristwatch. "Henry is picking them up from the spaceport because they're on the same transport as Lydia Finn -- sorry, Lydia Reed."

The Supreme Leader beamed out the window, waving pleasantly.

"You can deal with Lawrence and Cora," said Natasi charitably. "Perhaps we can have dinner together in the city, but I'll be going to the country to spend time with George and Reima alone. It's important that we get some time to bond." She shivered as the gust blew through the carriage and rubbed her gloved hands together briefly for warmth. "I expect lots of relations to come out of the woodwork now that there's a crown in play. I have no interest in putting any of more of our family on the payroll than is absolutely necessary."

She sniffed disdainfully and raised her hand again to continue waving. The love and enthusiasm of the crowds emanated in the Force, offering a spiritual warmth, if not a physical one. "I thought it would be nice to have George push the button to light up the tree tonight," she said. "A sort of introduction of my heir to the people. Do you have objections?"

Ariel Yvarro

A
"They won't be here until closer to New Years at any rate," explained Ariel regarding their extended relations. "I would be happy to speak with them, they're very lovely you know. I got a chance to spend a summer between their estates. Uncle Lawerence has a place in the North, and Aunt Cora lives on Galidraan IV." Of course, Ariel realized that Natasi meant no more hiring of their family as it stood, which she could understand. The Moff quietly beamed out toward the crowd. "Oh, of course, I'm sure he'll be delighted, and yes certainly."
On the one hand, Ariel knew she had long since been out of the running, and on the other, it would be nice to see George. "I can't wait to see him, oh gosh I bet he's grown so much since I last saw him." Which had been six years ago, such a long time, and surely he would be as handsome as his father with the clever wits of his mother no doubt.
The carriage pulled into the historical district, "look there's old Number 10 and old Park Boulevard." Museums and animal shelters now lined the old place with families plenty looking to adopt. Ariel gathered herself together as she heard security talk amongst themselves. They would be disembarking the carriage soon enough which meant more press, more smiling. "Are we, will we be going to the Temple tonight?" Questioned Ariel, a wonder about services as it would most likely be a good sight to see both women at the Life Day service.
"Cousin." Ariel began a moment as she folded her hands in her lap and looked at Natasi squarely. "I'm glad that you're back."
The sound of horses coming to a stop set Ariel in motion to prepare to get down from the carriage. Men in uniform opened the carriage doors, and Ariel waited as Natasi was helped down first, and then she would step down. The Moff was grateful that her cousin was the Crown which meant she could quietly escape, just as the sounds of the tree's transports backing round into the plaza across from the archway could be heard.

Isobel Nakano

I
Isobel stepped off the underground with the crowd, nearly emptying the train. It seemed like everyone in Avalonia was heading for the Royal Plaza, and Agent Lotus was no different. She was in civvies today: a white sweater and a vaguely floral-patterned miniskirt over black leggings for modesty and warmth, with black leather booties and a pale pink fleece-lined coat. Her black hair was pulled back into a sleek ponytail, and she wore a pair of stunna shades.

She was ready to party.

She slung her purse over her shoulder and followed the crowd up the stairs to street level. Some of the crowd peeled off on the way, heading towards shops or restaurants or work. Isobel paused to study a window display, her gaze lingering on a tailored blazer and crisp shirt. Not for the first time, she wondered what to get Val Pellian for a Life Day gift, if anything. She didn't know where he was; he remained frustratingly out of contact. Isobel liked to think it was because he was on an important mission, but Delilah Graham had been characteristically silent on the matter. This, she gathered, was preferable to another likely outcome: that he had moved on from their connection with someone news.

She cleared her throat and brushed under her sunglasses briefly. After one last look at the window display, she hurried to catch up with the group crossing the street with the signal. A few minutes later she reached the rendezvous point where she found Sybil Shepard, clad in a warm-looking black peacoat. "Sybil," she said pleasantly as she approached. "Sorry I'm late. The trains were packed and I had to wait for the next one." She glanced at her watch; she was only a few minutes behind.

"What's going on?" she asked, glancing around the area covertly. Always looking. Always assessing for risk. You could take the girl out of an official operation, but you couldn't take the spy out of the girl, she mused.

epgYA6e.png

A minute went by while waiting, and it was almost fascinating how much the idea of possibly being in the wrong place at the wrong time was wearing down and annoying the Major. Screwing up like that would normally be the mark of an absent minded or sloppy person, but in her case the missing piece was the warning of impending cognitive degradation -something was repeated to her multiple times as a significant risk. Steady on, she assured herself. Steady on. No terrible whirlpool threatened to swallow her whole; no vile comeuppance crouched in secret was ready to tear her apart. It was Life Day. Perhaps some of that hope and positivity emanating from the gathered masses would infect her as it did the very air of the square.

She contended herself for the next few minutes by studying the architecture of Royal Plaza and the surrounding buildings, taking in the details of a statue here, or the meticulous design of a line of trees there. Although she couldn’t appreciate the craft of why these massive artistic sweeps and lines captivated the senses, she could at least appreciate that they were, overall, nice.

The former spymaster caught that awareness of something familiar, nagging, within the moving shapes and hustle. Recognizing the gait of Agent Nakano -bloody, dank- Isobel, caused her to turn and smirk; this was more directly related to vindicating to herself that she had perfectly remembered the correct place and time, and could pick out a friendly face before they were standing in her space. Small victories, perhaps. Building blocks, maybe.

“Isobel.” Nailed it. Another micro accomplishment. You’re fine.” Shepard said in a manner so exact it was almost buttery smooth, pleased as she was for not referring to her comrade in some clumsy way. She quickly scanned the Agent from head to boot, her attention more drawn to the subtle hue of pink and flattering cut of Isobel’s outfit. It suited her well. Once it was noticed that her partner for the night was glancing around Sybil followed her lead, peering behind to see if anyone could be caught eavesdropping.

“The Supreme Leader and part of her entourage are here. Engineers are already setting up the tree. Hm. A lot of windows overlooking the park. Security better have this place covered tight.”

Wb6O9UM.png

"Remind me again of the timetable for this event?" Natasi asked Ariel Yvarro as the carriage eased to a halt. When things had been settled, they set about disembarking. A roaring cheer went up when Natasi emerged from the carriage, and she had the good grace to look demure and pleased, a shy but appreciative smile. The media's cameras caught it all, broadcasting it live to the Empire. Natasi lifted her free hand to wave before approaching the cordons. "Hello," she said, nodding towards her subjects as they bowed their heads. "Happy Life Day. I hope you're not too cold. Have you come very far?"

The small-talk continued as the tree was unloaded and erected. Natasi was handed several poseys, which she was forced to hand over to a lady-in-waiting when they became too numerous to carry. There was no way Natasi would be able to speak to the thousands of people present for the festivities, but each one she spoke to had her undivided attention and genuine interest for the few moments she could spare and seemed genuinely delighted. It was strange to be in this position as Supreme Leader, by necessity somewhat remote. As Grand Moff she would have waded into the crowd, shook hands, kissed babies -- a real grip-and-grin. As Sovereign, her role was different. Still mother to the nation, still visible, but -- removed, somehow. As Grand Moff she was a citizen who had been chosen to help lead the country.

As Supreme Leader, she was the country.

When the tree was finally erected, Natasi made her way back to Ariel. "As much as I'd love you to stay, you needn't if you've other things to do," said the Supreme Leader. "In fact I'll need to be heading back soon to get George and Reima, and we'll come back for the official lighting this evening. Will you be there for that?"

Isobel Nakano

I
Isobel's attention was drawn when the Supreme Leader stepped out of her carriage across the plaza. Her eyes anxiously scanned the rooftops and buildings, looking for signs of suspicious activity. So far, nothing. No open windows. No protruding blaster barrels. No signs of anything but affection for their sovereign. She turned her head back to her compatriot.

"What's the story with tonight?" she asked. "Are we on duty or not? Because if not, I'm going to have a boozy hot chocolate." She paused and jammed her hands into her pockets for warmth. "And if we are, then I'm still going to have a hot chocolate. It's bloody freezing."

Agent Lotus drew a pair of gloves from her pocket and worked her fingers into them, then jerked her head towards The Major The Major . "Come on, Shepard. First shout's on me." She led her fellow operative across the plaza, occasionally glancing to the left where the Supreme Leader was gladhanding with the crowd. Or glad-talking; no physical contact was being exchanged from what she could tell. "Hey," she said conversationally. "I joined the Bureau a little before the Sacking, and I worked primarily with Delilah Graham, but I'd heard of you. Everyone had. Graham thought you'd been taken, or worse."

She paused, continuing to tread along the sidewalk. "I don't know where I'm going with this, really," Isobel said after a bashful smile. "Other than if you want to talk about it -- or anything, really -- I'm happy to listen. Nobody survived the fall, not really. But we don't have to do it alone."

epgYA6e.png

“The story? Well, we’re not here on orders. Seems like we’re here together to enjoy the festivities.” Sybil said it, but she definitely appeared to be a bit annoyed at having to express it aloud. That was until her next statement.

“Don’t worry though: I wouldn’t want to be stuck with a beam brain like me all night either. If you need to jump it’s no problem. Still will give you a silver star review during the next debrief.” A smile was shot across to Agent Nakano -the taller of the pair no doubt thought she was being really funny. It might have even been considered a pleasant smile, if not for the surgical lines that creased across Shepard’s cheeks, a permanent reminder that this facsimile of a person was stitched together piece by piece, an expensive First Order Frankenstein's monster. No confidence truly existed inside her. Hell, she was joking but she wouldn’t be surprised if Isobel took her offer of escape as a relief and dipped. Regardless of how empty and worthless Sybil could feel inside she had to try and fight that garbage juice of necro-thought; most importantly to move onward and keep her forehead part attached to her jaw.

They walked on and continued, Isobel moving on to a conversation that was frankly the most insightful and compassionate thing Sybil ever heard coming out of that mouth. Not saccharine either? Truly this was a magical holiday.

“Some days I can’t help but feel like a mosquito thawed out of amber: better squished before ruining everyone’s day, or a charity case that some poor agent gets assigned to babysit before I go vegetable.” Her hands shuffled and crunched upon the pockets of her peacoat, ever so slightly shy about speaking so candidly. Maybe Agent Shepard was even being hyper specific to see if Isobel would confirm or deny why every op usually ended with Trio Terror flatheading through high risk hyper junk. “Living in the shadow of this ‘Major.’ Major of what? That’s not even clear. Just redacted reports, rumor, and myth. Pfft.

She continued. “But you know what? Some days I can’t help but feel like the luckiest womp in the Outer Rim. May not be a fresh start. It’s a chance though. Gotta take it.” Really, it was summed up beautifully by Isobel. Nobody may have survived unscathed, but they were not alone. Avalonia was breathing proof of that.

“What about you, though?” She puffed slyly, chipper for getting that last knot out of her chest.
“What keeps you going after the Sacking?”

Wb6O9UM.png

Karisa

Brask'ari'sabosen (retired)

Life Day Celebration
Avalonia, Dosuun

9lenMLk.png

Brask'ari'sabosen peered out the window of her hotel room at the new Avalonia skyscape, then down at the plaza below where the Life Day Tree would come to life shortly for the first time since the Ssi-ruuk sacked Dosuun and decimated the First Order as she remembered it during her time there.

As a young battle surgeon, the Sabosen had served in the FIMS during the GA/FO Border War, then left when called back to Chiss space with the news the Jen'ari occupation was over and the rebirth of the Chiss Ascendancy was beginning... That all seemed like it happened in another lifetime, but it hadn't. So much had occurred afterward though a whole novel could be written about it. But, that was for another time and place to tell.

Fast-forwarding to the present-day, the Baroness of Verkuyl was just thankful she was alive to experience another Life Day celebration in truth. The attempt on the Imperial Loyalist's life during the Eternal Truth Coup had left its stark mark. Karisa had survived barely the planted bomb that targeted her office atop the Verkuylian Government Building in Dalos City. Though, she would be lying if the experience hadn't shaken her to the core that was already fragile from previous like-events and heartaches...

The good doctor was just taking one day at a time now, well maybe a few more as the bacta business and diplomatic demands of her station within the Eternal Empire called upon her to act. Though with the latter, she had taken a public hiatus from.

Dressed for the capital city's winter wonderland as it were for the festivities, Karisa left the Grand Regency Hotel wearing a Burberry coat in the Sabosen family color of rust-red adorned with faux fur black trim and a matching hat to keep the chill off. The Chiss noble walked around the decorated plaza carefully in knee-high leather boots that met the hem of the coat and dress underneath, taking in the sights and sounds of the seasonal event. One could feel the joy and triumphant spirit in the crisp air of the people gathered. The Baroness felt honored and privileged to help celebrate the great accomplishments of the renewed First Order after the doom and gloom of the latter times. Here was to a fresh look on life and a hopeful future for all... including herself.

Though there was one thing the Chiss had learned the hard way over the years - it was that sentimentally could be cruel... a human emotion that she was plagued with, unfortunately.

Karisa pushed those kinds of wistful thoughts away, then proceeded to where the Life Day Tree was to be lit up. Nothing could top the wonderous forthcoming moment in her eyes...

Last edited:

Ariel Yvarro

A
Ariel waited until they had a moment, "a brief speech from the Home Office, and then a salute to the armed forces and then there is to be a parade, which will end with the lighting of the tree. There is a service tonight at Temple, but that's not part of the program today but you will be expected to show for the Life Day services themselves. Quietly the younger of the two smiled and nodded toward the onlookers and those wishing to get a glimpse of Her Majesty. It was this part of the whole Supreme Leader bit that the Moff did not envy, her cousin had little time for herself at these things.
"Yes, I will be on hand for the duration of the ceremonies, so you go on ahead and spend time with George and Reima, give them my best," reassured Ariel to her cousin. "Once the tree has been lit, then I shall take the metro home." From there Ariel disappeared from Natasi's side to begin ushering the ceremonies along. Ariel coordinated with media representatives making sure they each had their own clear view of each of the events. She remained on hand to oversee the speeches and parade, Avalonia and indeed many cities throughout Dosuun celebrated, cheered during the whole thing. Even if it wasn't Life Day just yet, it definitely got everyone into the spirit of it.
It didn't escape Ariel's view that Djorn Bline Djorn Bline was somewhere about but she did her best to remain cold to him.

Matt the Radar Tech

ꜰɪxɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴏsᴇ ʀᴀᴅᴀʀs ᴀɴᴅ sᴛᴜꜰꜰ
Life Day Celebration
Avalonia, Dosuun

6rVLoR2.png

The celebration had begun in earnest. Crowds sought a glimpse of the extravagant tree that was one of the main center pieces of the gathering. It was a good cause, a good morale boost, and so Mitth'orn'eruod saw no reason not to enjoy the celebration to some level. Even though it had been some months since the Chiss had joined the ranks of the First Order, he had continued to find difficulty in assimilation to the more human-centric group. The new culture and society provided a lot of interesting dynamics, a range of expressed emotions and reactions, whereas Chiss were far more guarded and strict in their ways. And while Mitth'orn'eruod tried to 'loosen up', and he had managed that in his day-to-day life somewhat, he still found that his expectations and Chiss nature were in full effect on the bridge of a starship. But, Mitth'orn'eruod wasn't on a starship, not today, so he approached the celebration with a less rigid and traditional mindset, and instead aimed to simply wander and enjoy himself as any citizen might...

So it was that Mitth'orn'eruod found himself among the people that lined the streets, dressed in a casual dark military uniform, neat but without all the dress effects or insignias. They celebrated the rebirth of the Ssi-Ruuk, and with good reason, as the assault from that empire had almost spelled the destruction of the First Order wholly. The Chiss Captain still recalled those events, at least every so often, as he had been one of the first to heed the call for assistance when attacks had begun. Mitth'orn'eruod had also been on the force involved with scouting system borders, disrupting enemy supply routes and generally utilizing his fleet to hinder the Ssi-Ruuk at every opportunity... and it had been an ordeal, a gauntlet of sorts, one that the Chiss still considered and thought about, like some game of Dejarik.

There were long nights of analyzing those battles. Mental maps of moves made, countermoves received and further countermoves delivered. Nights where Mitth'orn'eruod discovered a weakness in an action he had taken, which could have changed the outcome of a skirmish, with theory-craft. But that was exactly what it was, theory work. Nothing more, nothing less. Just a tacticians attempt to perfect his occupation and to avoid what could be considered ill advised moves in the heat of battle. Though, thankfully, there hadn't been too many made in haste, as the collective outcome had been survival of the First Order and its leadership.

So that counted for something.

So perplexed by his own thoughts, Mitth'orn'eruod found he had walked literal miles without great awareness of his surrounds, and realized he had moved toward the center of the capital. He was near the tourist sector, where a lot of hotels and visitors tended to stay. He knew that because the Chiss had been in the exact same place on his arrival initially to join the government and military. Glowing red eyes glanced up at the Grand Regency Hotel, with a sense of familiarity from his stay in the building some months prior, but the moment passed and Mitth'orn'eruod turned his gaze to the street and crowd. He saw numerous individuals, literally hundreds, yet among them there were very few characteristics that immediately drew the Chiss' eye - but he noticed one, in particular, through sharp eyesight...

Another Chiss... wait. That coat color.

While not extremely rare, as a number of Chiss had immigrated to the First Order due to the alliance shared between governments, it was more the individual that caused Mitth'orn'eruod to pause. Rust-red, a Chiss family color that Mitth'orn'eruod was very familiar with. House Sabosen, to be exact. It was too much of a coincidence for a Chiss to randomly being wearing such a color, without connections to that family. But who was it? Mitth'orn'eruod started to walk quicker, as he narrowed his eyes and gave - effectively - pursuit of the individual. He had to know who it was, if only to put deep lingering doubts from his own mind to rest.

She is dead. It cannot be her.

Closer and closer, Mitth'orn'eruod's breath increased as he caught glimpses of the female Chiss' face. Only brief ones, from the side or behind, never fully frontal. It had been six years since then, since Brask'ari'sabosen's vessel had gone down, since a recovery team had been dispatched to find her, since there had been no trace of the medical officer... since she had been declared dead, MIA. Six years since Mitth'orn'eruod had accepted a dangerous campaign to venture into the Unknown Regions and take the fight to the Ssi-Ruuk directly with a fleet of Chiss destroyers, simply because he had been unable to process the loss of the companion - no, the woman - who he had developed feelings for but had never acted on out of strict adherence to his species' principals.

"It cannot be her..." Mitth'orn'eruod muttered, as he closed to within meters. He reached out, blue-skinned hand with a shake despite his high self-control. And then she turned to look at something - children, the tree, it didn't matter - and Mitth'orn'eruod stopped in place, frozen, his red eyes wide. He forced his mouth to work, as a plethora of memories flooded back, and a sharp pain of failure hit his stomach, and uttered a single name...

"Brask'ari'sabosen?"

Mitth'orn'eruod stared, as he reached out and touched her shoulder, just to make sure she was real. He couldn't believe it. The reports, the rescue crew, the recovery teams, they had been wrong. And

"I... I thought you were dead, Brask'ari'sabosen," Mitth'orn'eruod said in a voice a mixture of shock and breathlessness. "I sent teams. They couldn't find you, they reported you MIA... I couldn't confirm personally, I was fighting the enemy fleets a sector away by that time..."

How? HOW?

Simply breathing was difficult, the uniform he wore tight around his chest, and with several blinks of his red eyes, the Chiss couldn't help it. Perhaps it was the influence of the humans, of their expressive natures, or perhaps it was the complete and utter relief that she was alive, but either way Mitth'orn'eruod reached out and pulled Brask'ari'sabosen into a tight embrace -- he buried his face into the hair and hat she wore, as he smelled her again, touched her again, and realized there had been a second chance.

Wait. No, I do not know her circumstances. She might be with a spouse. I cannot throw my affections at her this way, not after so long.

Mitth'orn'eruod caught himself. He blinked again, as he straightened somewhat, and went to pull back from the tight hug. He didn't want to presume, nor encroach on another if Brask'ari'sabosen had moved on, understandably so. But still, either way, she was alive and that brought an unrealized sense of joy to the Chiss Captain's otherwise calm and controlled self...

"I'm sorry, please excuse my reaction..."

Karisa Karisa

Karisa

Brask'ari'sabosen (retired)

Life Day Celebration
Avalonia, Dosuun

9lenMLk.png

"Brask'ari'sabosen?"
Karisa's crimson gaze was fixated on a group of children being lined up to perform selected carols for the crowd gathered near the Life Day tree when her full Chiss name in their species' native language of Cheunh was uttered from behind. The pressure of a hand touching her shoulder made her jump. After the year she'd had the gesture startled Karisa. The Chiss whipped her head around to find a blue-skinned, near-human male sporting a prominent scar on his forehead that was one of a kind peering at her with his glowing reds as if he'd seen a ghost.

I know those eyes... They were always unforgettable, even when I tried to forget.

"I... I thought you were dead, Brask'ari'sabosen," he said in a voice a mixture of shock and breathlessness. "I sent teams. They couldn't find you, they reported you MIA... I couldn't confirm personally, I was fighting the enemy fleets a sector away by that time..."

Before she could respond to Mitth'orn'eruod, he spontaneously swept her up into an embrace right there in public; melting his body into hers in an intimate way lovers might after not seeing one another for a time. Who was this Chiss and where was the real Mitth'orn'eruod?! This behavior was so uncharacteristic of the staunch believer in the Red Flame ideals and the Chiss military officer code of conduct at all times mantra.

At first, Karisa was taken aback by the forwardness of the noble son of the Mitth family; her body stiffening as his arms wrapped her up tightly and head dipping into her neck. There was a momentary thought of slapping him. She held so much resentment towards Mitth'orn'eruod for what occurred after the fated Battle of Bakura for his part or perceived lack of trying to save her from a horrible end by the hand of the Ssi-ruuk... and breaking her heart.

Perhaps though from what Mitth'orn'eruod had said and his seemingly genuine joy expressed she was still alive and breathing, the resentment she felt was misplaced due to a calculated misrepresentation of events out of their control. Had Mitth'oru'sabosen outright lied to his daughter or shield the other Chiss from her on purpose? The Aristocra of House Sabosen had previously been the biggest supporter of a possible arranged marriage and a closer bond between the two Chiss families. What had changed? Was there something else or was it just the standard Chiss politics and Ruling House maneuvering to consolidate power? Whatever the reasoning was, the elder Sabosen took it with him to his grave.

Damn you, Father. How could you do this to me?!

A well of bittersweet emotion suddenly washed over Karisa. She finally gave in and returned the hug in kind, though by this time Mitth'orn'eruod had come to his senses and was beginning to pull back and morph into his old self. A part of her didn't want him to... She liked the thought he had a heart after all and truly cared about her well-being. The man had always kept his feelings so close to the chest it was hard to tell.

But it has been six years. So much has happened since then... I'm sure he has moved on. I did, or did I ever really?

"I'm sorry, please excuse my reaction..."

"Mitth'orn'eruod, You have nothing to apologize for. It is completely understandable given the circumstances. Obviously, my father did not pass the news onto you that a SpecOps team from his Household Phalanx had rescued me after I spent some time as a POW of the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium on their homeworld in the far reaches of Wild Space. I am very sorry you were led to believe I was dead all this time. That was an unfair burden to put upon another," Brask'ari'sabosen conveyed showing a small, sincere smile.

"You look well, Mitth'orn'eruod. I see from your coat you are still a military man, though that does not appear to be a CEDF one as I remember?" she asked encouraging further small talk just as the children's choir began to sing and light, fluffy snowflakes started to fall from the Avalonia sky above.

Matt the Radar Tech Matt the Radar Tech

Last edited:

Isobel Nakano

I
"Ridiculous," Isobel said with a smirk at The Major The Major 's suggestion that Isobel ditch her. They joined the queue and Isobel bought a pair of boozy hot chocolates before handing one to Shepard. They continued the trot, and Isobel glanced around to verify they were more or less alone before continuing. "I always thought 'The Major' was a codename. We didn't have military ranks in the Bureau, after all. I guess I never thought to ask. Mind your own, you know? I always thought mine was a little on the nose. Lotus is fine and good but it's not a terribly far cry to link it to Blue Lotus or Black Lotus, don't you think?"

She shrugged. As the snow began to fall Isobel was glad to have dressed warmly. "I can't really speak for Dash, but I will," she said, referring to the other third of the 'Terror Trio', Aurelian Dash. The three had been teamed up frequently on operations and it seemed to result in continuing success. "You're a legend among the agents I came up with. No one sees this as a babysitting job. The things we do are too important to risk a nutter, and we're too busy to babysit."

If Isobel knew one thing about clandestine operations, it was never to get too attached to one teammate or another. One day she'd be reassigned, or they would, and it would be months or years before they saw each other again. Best to enjoy the company while it lasted. And she did. Dash and Shepard were a good sort; they had an easy comradery that came with dedication to a common cause and sharing common gripes -- first among them, in Isobel's view, how terrible the coffee was on First Order intelligence missions.

She followed along Shepard's response, occasionally sipping at her hot chocolate. "I know what you mean," said Isobel. Her history since the sack was not so clear-cut, and certainly not by-the-book. A dangerous liaison with Val Pellian Val Pellian , being burned by Delilah Graham in an attempt to justify her infiltration of a rebel group setting up shop on Bakura in the aftermath of the fall, and some combination of desperation and blackmail resulting in Isobel being brought back into the fold, had all written a complicated history on Isobel's psyche, combined with various traumas predating the Sack and running like a dashed line all the way through to current day. It wasn't pretty, but it let her empathize with the Major's plight. The situations were different -- from what Isobel had heard through the gossip mill, Shepard's was straight-up nightmare fuel -- but it did allow her to relate even if the stakes were unequal.

She frowned at Shepard's question, as if it was the first time she had been confronted about it. "I don't know," she said after a few moments of thoughtful silence. "In some ways, it's not even a question. I'm from Bespin, but the First Order is my home, in whatever capacity it exists. And you just have to, you know? What's the alternative? Go back to being just a businesswoman? I think one gets addicted to this. The adrenaline. The fear. The uncertainty of what the next day will bring, or whether you'll survive. There's something seductive about having all these resources at your fingertips and a license to kill. But doing it all for Queen and Country elevates it above mere thrill-seeking and murder for hire, don't you think?"

Isobel looked across at Shepard. "What about you? Don't tell me it's anything so pedestrian as patriotism," she said with a smirk.

epgYA6e.png

Isobel’s junior counterpart —insomuch that this iteration of Sybil could know— took the proffered festive drink with a nod and smile, internally relieved ever so slightly as the discussion of nicknames: their effectiveness, meaning, and validity took forefront. As she sipped some liquid nearly slipped out of her mouth, but a deft hand managed to keep anything from dripping down in an unseemly manner. What the recovery failed to accomplish was keeping Shepard from appearing to be in the midst of partaking in baby’s first alcohol. Oafish clod. This little trip up had the taller of the two not splitting her attention evenly, and she missed the bit that Nakano’s codename was in fact Lotus. Such a lapse was not worth interrupting Lotus’ thoughts, so figured Sybil. Some weeks later, this lack of concentration might lead to either a costly mistake or minor irritant.

But that was a story for another day.

At least the rest of Isobel’s explanations would be listened to more closely. Sybil found them fascinating since this kind of careful introspection on Nakano’s part was so different from her operational professionalism; rather, Nakano’s interpretation of on the job professionalism. Once that was done Shepard found the same question reflected right back at her, and even she was caught unaware of how threadbare her reply might seem. Emptiness and brief gashes of horror were all she could ever find once that critical eye was turned within.

“Well. . .” Stumbled she. Despite the initial hump, her momentum gained as she cleared that first gate. Each of her pauses in speech were either punctuated with another sip or moment of silent thought. And who could anticipate the way Sybil’s mouth could run at such a pace.

“I’m not from here. First Order space, I mean. Neither from the current or past borders. Basically came from the other side of the galaxy: for reasons unknown. Have no clue what motivated me back then. Greed? Desperation to run? To prove something? Debt? A fresh start? Regardless, the reason was good enough to apparently propel me to become a. . . ‘legend,’ as you said.” Myth is what it felt like, but she refrained from flashing a negative light on everything, at least at this moment. More was to come.

“So this wasn’t home back then. It’s not really home now —n-not that I’m ungrateful!” She shook her hands a little, failing to verbally portray her exact meaning, but hoping Isobel would just ‘get it’ all the same. Skills in eloquent speech and critical thought were less than what was desired. “Just mean I’m not exactly a patriot; though I think I know what stuck me to this place.

You know, for a while I thought I owed the First Order a debt because I had failed it during my tenure. Service, then, meant clearing that debt. But one day I actually talked to the Queen, er, Supreme Leader. More like cornered her, actually. Wasn’t a bright move. Jumped to and winged it. No surprise, right? Always leaping ahead when in the mess, yeah? I was all over the place. Shameful, that.

“She set that record straight quickly. Told me that I hadn’t failed her. Great. No debt kept me pinned to the Order. But I realized something far worse. Not right then and there, thank the stars. Nope, once I looked her in the eye something hit deep.

I loved her.

“En, this wasn’t the good kind, either. Not stars and sparkles. It wasn’t loyalty or the pomp of circumstance pushing me towards her. Nay, it was an obsession both awful and consuming. Knew right then that Once Upon A Time wasn’t so magical. No, it was a perverted Hell —black, conniving, desperate: like I would have done anything, even break her to make her feel it back— and for all I know way back then I might have even lashed out at her. Can’t say for sure, but the echo of those feelings and their numbing guilt. . . felt like I had done her wrong.

“Still, she didn’t give the impression of disgust or hate. Maybe she knew how to curtail my tricks. Maybe she figured the pros outweighed the cons. Maybe she hadn’t noticed. But I noticed. Noticed talking to her was like slipping into a hyperlane, one that I had cut into and built myself. Bloody freak. You’re working with a creep, Lady!

“Gross. . .

“Wasn’t going to repeat that story. Not going to echo the past. Not even a degree of it. Not in this lifetime. That bantha fodder can stay down in whatever grave it fell into. What some call a ‘legend’ is probably a trustless, backstabbing, thirsty cur. So what does that leave me? This job isn’t for home. It’s not for love; love can go kriff itself. It’s not to reclaim the
Past Me because, frankly, that’s not a monster I want to occupy.

“What do I have left?

“Maybe it's you. Maybe it’s watching out for Dash and you until the job is done because that’s all I can do. But doesn’t that seem. . . well, sad? A tad lame? Any day now we’ll be reassigned across space, or one of us will buy that final farm on Corellia. Every day I wake up and tell myself attachments are stupid because all is fleeting and my time is spin-spin-spinning to a close. Then Graham calls and I’m briefing bound. Ha! I’m doomed, Friend. So I guess Hope isn’t the reason I do this job either.

“Hahaha, let’s just say I do it for the hot chocolate.” After what must have felt like hours and hours of this rant, Shepard finally shut up and finished her drink. If Isobel somehow didn’t walk off after all that, then she certainly was owed some pay by someone within the Section for putting up with this auburn topped basket case.

Wb6O9UM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom