Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi Initiate Program

Hey, guys.

I'm not good with words or addressing people like this so I'll keep it short and simple and allow the program to speak for itself. I'm proposing this for the sake of discussion. I'd like to see some of it be implemented, but if all it does is create discourse then I think we could all benefit from that.

Quick Disclaimer: This is not my own work. It is copy and pasted directly from another community's website, with a few editorial changes by myself.

Without further ado, the Jedi Initiate Program.

JEDI INITIATE PROGRAM

BECOMING A JEDI

The Jedi Initiate must dress in the appropriate attire. The Jedi Initiate is allowed to choose from a variety of different attire styles, as long as they're supplied by the Order. The Jedi Initiate must then be equipped with his/her requirement items: training lightsaber, key card, dorm key, comlink, and personal datapad. Once equipped, the Jedi Initiate is fit to begin training. Jedi Initiates must not leave the Temple grounds.

LEVELS OF INITIATES

• Level 1 Initiate: Still undergoing classes.
  • Level 2 Initiate: Finished classes; awaiting the Initiate Trials.
  • Level 3 Initiate: Completed the Initiate Trials; ready to become a Padawan.

Note: Jedi Masters and Jedi Knights are free to pull an Initiate out of the Training Program at any time, and make an Initiate their Padawan.
This is done under the assumption that said Master/Knight will teach their new Padawan what the Training Program would have done, just on a one-to-one basis.

THE INITIATE CLASSES

The Jedi Initiate must attend each class at least once, before they become a Level 2 Initiate. It is up to the Jedi Instructor to keep a track record of these details.
  • 1. The Jedi Way of Life.
  • 2. The Jedi Code.
  • 3. The Three Pillars of the Jedi.
  • 4. The Force.
  • 5. Core Force Powers.
  • 6. Form Zero.
  • 7. Shii-Cho: The Basics of Lightsaber Combat.
  • 8. History of the Jedi Order.
  • 9. Self-discipline tenets.
Once these lessons are complete, the Jedi Initiate has been educated with the basic standards of the Order. Mentally and physically, the Jedi Initiate should now be ready for more advance training with their future Master.

THE INITIATE TRIALS

The Initiate Trials are not to be taken individually. The Initiate Trials is to be done in groups, where Initiates can work as a team and form friendships. Although identified as trials, the Initiate Trials are still under the tutelage and guidance of the Jedi Instructor.
  • 1. Choosing a Jedi subclass (Guardian, Sentinel, Consular).
  • 2. Expedition trip to a crystal cave, for "The Gathering" ceremony.
    Initiates will find and choose a crystal relevant in colour to their chosen subclass.
  • 3. Reciting The Jedi Code in unison, and swearing their Jedi Oaths.
Once complete, the Jedi Initiates become Level 3 Initiates. They have obtained the knowledge and understanding of the basic foundations of the Jedi Order, and have fully equipped themselves - ready to be taken on as a Padawan by a Master for advanced training/teaching and missions. By choosing a subclass at this point, it makes it more possible for the Initiate to attract a Master from the same subclass, benefiting both of their interests.

I don't know, personally. It's a good idea on one hand, adding extra layers to the apprenticeship. However, it's also time consuming for the prospective instructors and even initiates. Correct me if I am wrong, but is it safe to say most Padawan pcs already have a basic grasp on simpler Force skills, just that they lack control. They would also have a grounding in Shii-Cho, enough to not stab themselves, how to hold the saber and some basic slases, blocks and forms.

To me, the system for promotion to Knighthood is pretty good at 50 posts with training, missions and character development. Also, ten or so training posts per skill seems fair as well.

I should also add, in canon the initiate program was for Younglings who were...well...young. For older apprentices, it doesn't seem strictly necessary as they will have an easier time grasping the tennents of the Order through their own experience in life.

[member="Corvus Raaf"] Anytime :)

[member="Layna Akhora"]

You bring up some good problems that need tackling. I'll address it in order, to the best of my ability.

It is time consuming, but that comes with the nature of the hobby. To cut down on creating excess threads, and therefore cut down on excess confusion and time, I'd propose that some of the classes/lessons be done simultaneously. For instance, the Jedi Way of Life, the Jedi Code, The Three Pillars, and the self-discipline tenets can probably all be done at the same time. This can also be done with the Force and lightsaber combat.

Also, I think some of the senior padawans would do good as instructors. It would not only help them with their teaching and leadership abilities, but it would take some of the load off Jedi Knights and Masters who have a lot on their plate.

It's true some characters might have prior knowledge. My own character had prior knowledge to several things before I actually began role-playing. So I think the program would have to be tailored to each individual, something which can be worked out by both the student and the instructor. There would be no need to make it a generalized and rather forced undertaking, rather I think it just suppliments and provides a guide for those seeking to train and those doing the training. It wouldn't be mandatory. The Faction Admins/Jedi Council do a good job already of having things very open and free, so things don't get bogged down with bureaucracy.

In my own experience, when I was a Jedi Initiate, I really had no clue what I was doing. I've never forum role-played before and while through time I slowly integrated into the way of things, I think some structure definitely would have benefited me. I would have personally enjoyed a program like this which would have provided quality role-play. Based on that, I would assume other new members might feel the same way.

A bit of a rant, but hopefully that adequately addresses your concerns.

I like the Initiate program idea. I think this would be something that would be really great. I also stand on the side of things where this would be heavily time consuming for Knights/Masters to do, and agree with [member="Ayden Quell"] that it would be an awesome idea to have the more advanced Padawan's assist in these early stage training sessions.

The biggest fear I have of this is the inevitable knight/master/padawan going inactive during their teachings, and leaving the new Padawan floating in some strange limbo. Picking up where others left off is never cut and dry, but this is really just a rhetorical concern, as we all know there's nothing we can do about folks going inactive abruptly.

If you're looking for a vote though, I'm all for this. I think it's overall an awesome idea, with some minor tweaking done to suit our own community.

I think having this program is not necessary, but would be an interesting addition. An optional one, I would say, because no matter what, according to site rules, one doesn't have to start as an Initiate, but can begin as a Padawan. Most Jedi already have being an initiate as a part of their background and it would be the best if it would be okay to have it as a thing from the character's past.

First, it's time consuming. Second, being an initiate takes away nearly all kinds of access to anything -- Younglings didn't wander around planets and pretty much all they could do were talking to each other or training. No fun stuff Padawans can do.

As an optional thing, i'm all in for it. As a mandatory one, I am strongly against it. But it would be awesome if Maria got to teach a class like that one day.

True enough [member="Maria Natalja"]. Having it be optional would be necessary. Not everyone will want to start their characters this way, while others will find it a good way to introduce themselves, especially if they are new to the entire scene and want some guidance through the process.

It's a great option for people with no idea what to do, but imo it shouldn't be mandatory in any way-

we aren't here to shoehorn the writing experience for people. i know there would be some people keen for something like that, but i also know that were I to rock up i'd probs brick anyone who tried to force that on me. i know i also wouldn't be up for teaching that way, personally.

also, food for thought; we require that people are trained by a master but we do not require training for apprentice-level powers. no need to build a saber, blah blah.

personally, I say we sit down and tweak it into a 'need help training? here's some ideas' post and leave it somewhere. 100% optional. it is a wonderful idea, though.

I agree with the above posters that it shouldn't be mandatory.

Keeping in mind that we are all different, I believe the best way to learn is to read and watch the actual SW materials. Then apply that foundation here and build your writing skills by participating.

I like the Old Republic era in canon, but at the same time, I like how free-form ths New Jedi Order was under Luke. It made things more interesting with characters like Kyle Katarn who essentially learned himself, Corran Horn with his particular background, Mara Jade's dark pat etc.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Love it.

Throw it in the Jedi Archives as a [Guide] for anybody who would like to voluntarily participate. When Ayden makes Knight, he can lead it himself.

Great stuff guys. :D

I support [member="Sam Jhovna"]. Also, i think it could be amazing if it were a piece of our lore as an example of what initiates do so that we'd have a general overview of what has happened to Jedi Padawans in the past even if being an initiate is just a part of one's backstory. ;)

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Making it a guide is an awesome idea and fits along with making it voluntary.

Would I be allowed to try and lead this as a padawan? I was thinking of gathering a group of several padawans and doing this together.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Ayden Quell said:
Would I be allowed to try and lead this as a padawan? I was thinking of gathering a group of several padawans and doing this together.
If you're asking for a change in faction policy?: Only a Faction Admin can do that.

If you're asking whether or not you can lead a cooperative roleplay involving any of the above listed Initiate activities?: Abso-flippin-lutely. Go for it!

In fact. Any writer who successfully completes the above courses, using cooperative roleplay, in three dev-quality threads or more? I will personally submit their name for Knighthood upon completion.

Sam Jhovna said:
If you're asking for a change in faction policy?: Only a Faction Admin can do that.
Ayden showed this to me initially and I recommended he post it here as I knew people would give him positive feedback.

Once we have a consensus view of what could be optional and what might be mandatory, we (the FL team) can review it. Does that work for everyone?

[member="Ayden Quell"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Jack Rand"] I shall dub thee, Senor GIF. Knight of the Wobbly Chair. May your sword always be sharp and your sabaac sharper still. God save Corellia. God save the King. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom