Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private It's Not About You

Panic in the streets. A ten-foot tall, flaming monstrosity roamed the streets with a dark-clad woman trailing after it. Few stopped to look at this humanoid figure, too intent on escaping the blasts of flame that set storefronts aflame. Even a few hapless civilians had nearly been set alight, though they managed to escape with minor burns as the heat washed over them more than fire's kiss. The figure's hand seemed to guide where the creature engulfed in flame turned its attention, while its general course took it toward the heart of the city. It was not fast, but none had been able to slow let alone stop the pair so far.

None until a thirty-foot ring of green flame cut off their advance.

As a pale woman in red armor strode forth, three women and men hurried around the ring to tend to the injured. The creature turned as the one that controlled it set their eyes upon the interloper. Vytal Noctura and the Elemental set upon a collision course, one which drew the attention of the crowd no longer in mortal jeopardy. They watched as a flaming fist fed by the rushing currents of air consumed in its passing soared toward the smaller Dathomiri woman.

The Nightmother's gait didn't alter as she passed by that very fist and its dancing tendrils of orange and red. The towering Elemental had frozen just as it seemed poised to strike the green-eyed Witch. Not a moment was spared with the spirit. A sudden hush fell over the area as the panicked cries had gone as still as the monster that inspired them. The loud, meaty slap that followed was heard all the clearer.

After delivering a backhanded blow across the other woman's cheek, Vytal turned partially and extended her hand back toward the Elemental. The orange and red essence of the monstrosity seemed to leech away into the Nightmother's outstretched palm. "Spirits are not tools to be used to sate your own, selfish desires. Should you require to understand this better, I could quickly make your body available for them to use in such a demeaning fashion; perhaps then you will appreciate how insulting your callous and wanton enslavement is to them and your kin."

The towering monster had faded from sight with all that remained a lone tuft of flame that hovered over Vytal's palm. Her green eyes then turned from the woman to the flame. "Return, now, to your place of rest." With those words the flame faded from sight, as did the ring of green fire that had sprung up to both contain the threat and keep civilians out of harm's way.

"You will go with your Brother now, and contemplate how your actions harmed not only yourself and those around you, but the spirits with whom we share this world," the Nightmother declared as a man that had accompanied her to the scene drew near. The Mandragora had holding facilities both in concert with the Knights Obsidian at large and of their own. There would be plenty of opportunity for someone responsible for such crimes to reflect, and if necessary be instructed on how better to commune with the world around them.

Tag: Talak Jenste Talak Jenste

Taiia had heard the commotion and started sprinting towards the fire and the panicked civilians however the scene that she saw when she arrived caused her hand to quickly drop from her saber and she watched quietly, the halo of green fire that surrounded the creature and halted its advanced she turned to look at the pale skinned woman that simply walked around the elemental as it halted all movement. The loud slap filled the street followed by the sharp rebuke and instantly she knew they were Witches. Of course, she had heard stories of them and read about them in the archives but of course she had never encountered one let alone seen their power before. The Jedi considered them to be abominations she wondered how much of that was true along with the other things she was taught. She stepped back into an alley a bit and observed as the creature was halted and subdued before simply vanishing from sight and the flames disappeared. Her eyes flicked back and forth taking in everything the Jedi part of her was telling her to turn around and run but in her experience usually doing the opposite was smarter and she felt the force pushing her onward and so stepped into the street silently and walked over to where the creature had been before looking to Vytal then the ground with curiosity.

“I can honestly say I have never seen that before”

Tag: Vytal Noctura Vytal Noctura

Vytal turned her head to regard the woman that slipped from the shadows to comment of the events that unfolded. The woman of Dathomiri could tell despite Taiia's friendly appearance she possessed the ability to handle herself. From the aura that radiated from Taiia, Vytal guessed some manner of Jedi influence or just a more open disposition and tolerance of other lifeforms beside herself.

"I should hope you would not see more of its like," she replied. "it does great harm in undermining the Mandragora's efforts in elevating the masses' understanding of the spirits around them. It is all too easy to harbor fear and uncertainty about such power, and then seek to 'contain' it." While Vytal did not seek for the Sisters and Brothers to police the galaxy, should any attempt to persecute them... Well, the Mandragora were not Jedi. Their education was two-fold for their own well-being -- as enlightenment, and to prevent an uprising that would only end poorly for all involved.

"I am Nightmother Vytal Noctura," the pale Witch turned to face Taiia openly. "You seem drawn to recent events. Have you questions?"

Tag:
Talak Jenste Talak Jenste

Taiia listened to the Witch speak and when she finally turned her way, Taiia intentionally met her eyes and immediately she could sense the depths of power in her. She was definitely not to be trifled with that much she could tell right away it was similar yet different to how other force users felt, unique would probably be the most correct term. “In that case for all involved I also am glad it is not a more common occurrence” she closed the distance somewhat coming within a few feet of Nightmother Vytal. “Taiia Mataan” she gave a slight bow “And questions?” she laughed “All I have of late are questions I am afraid. The Jedi teach that what you do is an abomination of the force. Yet to me you seem more in balance with the force than most Jedi” she halted a moment and paused reflecting on what she had just stated. "My apologies, I did not mean any of that to offend just an observation. You called yourself Mandragora? I am not familiar with that term the Jedi archives spoke of Nightsisters however."

A soft and sudden expulsion of air shot out of Vytal's nose at Taiia's observation what Jedi would think. Abomination. Only because they refused to acknowledge that which was so plain. "I am pleased to meet you, Taiia Mataan. I am a Nightsister of Dathomir, whom you may have read about. No doubt the Jedi records are full of inaccuracies and statements such as 'they claim' or 'they believe.' Perhaps if the Jedi heard what it is a Nightsister said when they spoke of the Darkness there would be fewer Jedi that lost their way."

With a glance over to the other Witches present, Vytal gestured for Taiia to walk with her from the scene. Best not to become surrounded by a crowd eager to witness the safe aftermath of the skirmish.

Since Taiia knew nothing of their coven, Vytal was quite happy to share more about themselves, "The Mandragora was originally founded by Nightsisters that settled on Ryloth. They communed with Three Great Spirits -- Doashim, Lylek, and Jart. Since then the name has grown to reflect a growing community of those eager to seek out the secrets of our world and the next. While our number may act as part of the Knights Obsidian of the Confederacy, we do not groom young Sisters and Brothers for combat. Honing martial skills helps hone the mind and therefore the spirit. Put simply, we walk a path apart from both Jedi and Sith, yet some may see elements of both in our ways."

Tag:

She listening to Vytal as she retorted against her earlier comment but she simply stated in response “And let’s be honest if the Jedi were right about everything I would be among them not out here searching for answers of my own” at the gesture she walked with Vytal and listened intently to her explanations, she surmised probably one of the few times a Jedi had even dared to converse with a nightsister willingly. “So it would be fair to refer to you more as scholars than soldiers.” she pondered a moment “So the Jedi believe the Force is something symbiotic, something that should flow through them, the Sith see it as something to control. How do you see it?” she turned to Vytal watching expectantly if Vytal were really to study her she could see the desire to delve into the deepest reaches of the force to understand its depth and breadth to understand and know. To truly be one with the living force.

"No one is ever truly right about everything," Vytal replied. "It is whether you can accept an new understanding that contradicts everything you once knew that sets everyone apart from one another." For instance, if someone could somehow prove the Fanged God was nothing but a minor spirit using illusions to appear truly powerful... that Vytal would personally find exceedingly difficult to reconcile. It would become a true test of character.

"The Sisters and Brothers of the Mandragora are scholars," she agreed, "though there are many among us that learn of powers easily translated to battle. It would be our enemy's darkest day if they sought to test us." A smile then curled the corners of the pale woman's dark lips upward. Not that Vytal wanted someone to attack, but she felt quite confident in making such an enemy rue the day they ever heard of the Mandragora.

As they'd set a bit of distance from the crowd, the Nightmother stopped to face Taiia when she asked about the Force. She desired to delve into deep subjects at the onset. This should be a most interesting conversation. "The Force -- as they call it -- is a part of our existence. It is everywhere and nowhere. You can let it flow through you, and you can control it. The Mandragora -- and the Nightsisters -- know of another means of interacting with this 'energy.' We commune with the spirits that have manifested there of their own accord, or of those that were once mortal and have chosen not to return to the Whole for their own reasons. It is not enough to treat it as a convenient tool there to do our bidding; the Mandragora seek to understand the how and why of it and how it has appeared or been brought into the mortal realm -- artifacts, holocrons, possessions, and much more. There is a balance that must be maintained to ensure our world's survival."

Tag:

Hearing the Nightmother’s words on being attacked she suddenly felt very sorry for whoever dare try to attack the Mandragora. As Vytal stopped and turned toward her Taiia did the same to give Vytal her undivided attention while she listened to her thoughts on the force and took in every word. “My own thoughts on the force are quite similar. It is a part of us, and everything around us and it indeed can be channeled or controlled and it is absolutely important that it remains in balance” she nodded in agreement with her own statement “If I am understanding you, you are not simply communing with sprits but with the spirits in the force is that a correct statement? So, you commune with the force itself? Perhaps what you refer to as spirits is what we refer to as the living force” the wheels were turning in her mind as she processed this entire dialogue, it was all so very fascinating she inwardly wondered if Jedi and Nightsister had ever had such dialogues.

“One could argue, perhaps that when a Jedi meditates and is actually listening to will of the force in such a way, they are communing with it. Would that be an accurate comparison?” she inclined her head slightly as she awaited Vytal’s response. She felt like for every explanation she just came up with more questions as her mind slowed down a moment she blushed slightly and she smiled as she realized just how much she was asking “Sorry, I do tend to get carried away at times with my questions” she bowed slightly.

Last edited:
"You have no need to apologize. It is better one ask a question than to blindly assume the answer." Even if the manner in which you asked a question was in performing an experiment first-hand to discover that answer yourself. "Though be mindful of which questions are of the utmost concern. Spirits especially may impose limits on the amount of knowledge they will dispense; they can be an unruly sort." Vytal's green eyes strayed ever so slightly to look beyond Taiia at a few loitering nearby. Surely the Nightmother of the Mandragora could get whatever answer she desired of Doashim, Lylek, and Jart, right? Spirits were spirits regardless of what world they favored.

"I would like to learn more of the ways of Jedi," Vytal admitted, "as I have had little chance to speak with their membership. The Mandragora is open to conversing with all philosophies though some are not presently inclined to seek us out." No doubt 'wary' that the Dark Side influence of a Nightsister/Nightmother might 'corrupt' their precious worldviews. How strong could their beliefs be if that were so?

"If I presume a Jedi's meditation is much like that some Sisters or Brothers perform in our Hall of Reflection," which admittedly had been constructed for the 'Light Side' oriented members or visitors, "then I would agree. The Jedi would sense the...intent of the Force much as you or I might perceive hostile or welcoming intent by the atmosphere that surrounded another. They would not be conversing with the Force, however, as we do. The Spirits are one with the Force as the Jedi call it; they speak and can be spoken to, though rarely can you change them from their ways." It was the land of the living where beliefs were fluid and ever changing; they sought to find purchase and grow in the minds and souls of others. Carried back to the whole they may emerge again later, or be held firmly in the essence of a soul that lingered.

Vytal smiled for a moment. "The 'Force' has a will of its own much as this city has a will of its own. To an outsider all might seem uniform and as one. As you draw nearer and enter that city, however, you will be surprised at the diversity present. Thus is how so many claim to be fulfilling the 'Will of The Force' while acting in contradiction to one another. One Force, but many voices."

"Shall I tell you the true Will of the Force?"
Was it arrogant presumption to speak for The Force if there were so many voices? "It is to Live. To seek, to find, and to grow. That is the one, governing principle of all things. The Mandragora strive to ensure this growth does not end all Life -- literally or spiritually."

Tag:

She listened to Vytal’s reponses and took them all in. “A question never asked is an answer never learned” she nodded “It seems we may have an interesting opportunity to learn from each other” she now quietly listened to Vytal as she spoke of their meditation conversing with the spirits that were one with the force “One force but many voices” she nodded in understanding her red hair falling with the movement. The Will of the force was to live? She pondered that a moment if balance is required between light and dark, if the force is alive, if it does have a will, and if it is many voices not just one. In just a few minutes of speaking with Vytal she had enough material to fill entire sections of a Jedi Archive though much of it would be restricted if allowed at all she thought to herself.

“I do think we have much we can learn from one another Nightmother Vytal, if you would be willing. I will teach you our ways if you would be willing to teach me yours? Together we may be able to find a new understanding of the force that nobody has ever contemplated” again the wheels turned as she awaited her reply for a Jedi to submit to nightsister training would likely be considered to be corrupted by the Jedi but she cared not what mattered to her was understanding, knowledge of the force itself to gain that one must be willing to walk where others will not.

Vytal extended both hands out toward Taiia, palms up. "I would enjoy sharing knowledge with you, Taiia. Much of our personal and cultural growth comes from sharing." Perhaps she could help this Jedi learn how not to be consumed by the 'Dark Side' Jedi so often shunned. Something about Taiia's demeanor and eagerness belied a future delving into such dark matters. It would be a sordid affair if she became consumed with hatred or obsessed with power as a result.

"Have you already made arrangements where you will stay? You could stay at our Castle for however long you desire." Even if Taiia explored other schools of thought, the Mandragora would house the woman. They were not shallow or conniving in their means of 'encouraging' membership. Information alone was worth room and board so long as their guest did not intend to use what they learned for nefarious purposes.

Taiia looked genuinely happy at Vytal’s acceptance and shook her head slightly “No I have not been here long enough to really do any sort of planning so I would gratefully accept your hospitality and that of the Mandragora” In the back of her mind she could hear Jedi preaching caution and how dangerous this was but she pushed it all away, she was done being told what to do instead she quieted her mind and a new phrase began to form in her mind something old she felt and smiled a bit now she knew she was in the right place. “I have no immediate plans to go anywhere, though one day I do intend to visit Tython but even that will not be a permanent event” She turned the words over in her mind ‘In balance with chaos and harmony’.

Last edited:
Vytal was happy the woman accepted the offer. What was more, she did so without considerable hesitation or worrying of the lip. Not that she would have minded really; Nightsisters like herself were 'of' the Dark Side of the Force. Some apprehension would be natural especially after Jedi Masters had no doubt drilled in the danger of the opposing philosophy. Even so, Taiia's ease of adaption bode well in terms of knowledge transfer. There should be fewer barriers to overcome in terms of comfort or in establishing trust.

"Tython?" A moment passed before Vytal nodded slightly. "The Je'daii. The Mandragora and Knights Obsidian could provide you transportation and supplies needed to explore Tyhon, should you need them. As well as Sisters or Brothers if you require any assistance." Perhaps Taiia intended it to be a personal matter, however. One best done alone to uncover some secret truth or understanding. Vytal would not force her to accept unwanted aid. Though the Nightmother would obviously be interested in whatever was found.

"Would you desire to return to the Castle by traditional means, or something more... unique?" Seeing how curious Taiia was, Vytal would offer an experience few outside of the coven experienced.

Taiia shook her head a bit “It will be some time before I visit Tython I believe that lies somewhere toward the end of my journey I think, but yes you are correct it is the Je’daii of what I speak. I feel a call though it is not yet time” the mysteries of Tython were deep she was sure even Vytal knew that. Many have walked that world in the intervening centuries, but she had not it was she who needed to go at the right time, and she believed Vytal was a key component to her success there. “Thank you for the offer of support, when I do go to Tython it would be appreciated but ultimately what I do there I believe must be on my own. For now lets focus on the immediate” she smiled Then her last comment made her curious “Unique in what way?”

A call? Vytal knew some Jedi and Sith felt 'calls' from or through the Force to places, people, or objects. It was something of a curiosity; like what they had discussed not long ago. A brush with the infinite reaches of existence that even the Mandragora had only scratched the surface of -- such was the depth of potential at their fingertips. That said, she wondered why Tython called out to Taiia in particular. Usually there was some pre-existing connection, or a unique characteristic of a person that resonated with them. Perhaps a compatibility in philosophy? Were their Je'daii spirits lingering on Tython?

"In every way." The Nightmother's right hand extended out toward an alleyway nearby. Between the buildings a window literally to another world opened up there. Through the portal stood a Castle in the near distance with its central tower stretching high into the sky that was surrounded by many other towers. "Ryloth," she announced, anticipating Taiia would wonder where the passage led. "My business here is concluded, so I am free to escort you to the Castle if you are prepared."

Tag:

Taiia stood there looking at what Vytal had indicated a portal? A doorway? Her mind reeled with even more questions, but she spared Vytal for now. Ryloth, so far away from them to be able to move she paused “How?” she shook her head as if to say nevermind and nodded. “We can go, surely I can come back for my ship another time if needed” unbidden she walked toward the window and studied it closely something the likes of which she had never heard of. She wondered how much of the Nightsisters way of things would fit that description., She peered around it, utterly fascinated she tried to hide the wonder on her face when she looked back at Vytal. “This is one I really would be interested in learning” she grinned.

A smile spread across the Nightmother's dark lips. "Only time will tell what powers you may learn," Vytal replied as she strode toward the threshold separating two worlds. In truth, she seriously doubted it would be one learned as one might levitate a stone. There were reasons of which Vytal had imparted with none that made this power so. That said, there was no said to douse the young woman's enthusiasm; and outright rejection might cool inspiration of new ideas.

"Always remember that your abilities are limited only but your own preconceptions." While that might not be entirely true, if enough Witches were gathered and a Circle formed Vytal was confident it was true. With sufficient power and a unified will the Nightmother saw no reason reality itself could not be reshaped. Unsurprisingly, given the pursuit of the Mandragora, she had not actually attempted this, however. Rewriting the Laws of Nature did not preserve the Balance.

With that, Vytal strode through the portal and set foot on the other side as easily as if she'd entered the alleyway. A light breeze on Ryloth's side fanned Vytal's hair out behind her before she turned her eyes back to Taiia. Time to see what this curious creature would discover.

Taiia listened to Vytal as she spoke, nodding and then she watched as she stepped through the window to Ryloth, there she was gone from where Taiia was standing and instead she was now in the image of Ryloth, she marveled at it and gingerly walked through as if fearing being consumed by it but in the same manner as Vytal she stepped through and looked around it was indeed another world and immediately her red hair was caught up in the wind as well and her eyes adjusted to the different light and she could smell the moisture in the air.. “This is Incredible” she looked over at Vytal she remarked as she saw the castle the flowing waters around it and the high mountain ranges, just what one would expect for reclusive witches.

Last edited:
"Welcome home," Vytal announced before the way back closed behind them. Despite how the Nightmother made it seem, connecting two distance locations was quite taxing. "You'll find the Castle is quite different from the rest of galactic 'civilization.' We do not shun technology altogether, but that which distracts from communing with the world around us is kept at bay. Though you'll still find some Sisters and Brothers doing the laundry or scrubbing pots -- especially the young ones." A smile spread across her lips for a moment. Surely even the Jedi had disobedient padawans in need of a little punitive correction.

"If you ever need a change in scenery, there is a Ryloth village not far from here. Mostly Twi'lek population. Very polite. Though if you have a craving for city-planets, I'm afraid you'll need to use one of our ships to get there." The Nightmother was not a taxi service, after all. In fact, she tried keeping this power's use to a minimum; but the spirits would understand bringing a new Sister or Brother back to the Castle. Even some spirits liked to show off every now and then.

Vytal led the way toward the Castle surround. "There are ritualistic halls, meditation chambers, an endless library, gardens... You'll find countless opportunities to study the Force, magick, or whatever other term is thrown about by some cultures. We even have a diverse array of sentients here whose views may vary based on their own research or preferences. I never said finding the truth would be easy." If it were truly obtainable. Perhaps only a god -- a genuine spirit of such power and reach -- could truly comprehend the larger picture.

Taiia watched as the window closed behind them before turning her attention back toward Vytal she chuckled a bit “In that regard it does not sound that different than a Jedi Enclave or Temple technology exists but its more to facilitate learning than anything else” her eyes wandered around again “Ryloth, I have always wanted to visit it I guess now I can say I have. I will have to be sure and visit the village at some point.”

As Vytal discussed travel arrangements she confirmed her thoughts, the portal they passed through was likely not commonplace. “I am quite fine with not being on an overly crowded world. As for travel I will have to retrieve my ship at some point and it bring it here then, that way I don’t inconvenience anyone” as Vytal started walking again Taiia followed close at her side listening to her. “I look forward to talking with them all, hopefully they will be as open with me as you have been Nightmother” she let her eyes wander some more. “I feel I will be learning plenty here, though truth isn’t the word I would use. I would say understanding. A complete understanding is impossible true, but truth is also at times subjective.” she looked back to Vytal and she grinned "Sorry if I sounded a bit much like a Jedi there"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom