Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's been a long time

Tatooine

It had been a long time, years in fact, since Taeli had ever done any business with ATC. But here she was, diverting from her trip to meet with the premier businesswoman of the galaxy about a project that had been proposed at their last meeting. It had been a long time coming, but they had finally developed it.

Her company would be almost unrecognizable since those days, they had grown so much and gone through changes. Nubia being the latest expansion, but that was by the by. Currently, she was sitting in the lobby of ATC in an elegant dress that most certainly not Jedi-like at all and waiting for [member="Danger Arceneau"] to find the time in her busy schedule to see her. It felt strange, but right in a way.

"Miz Arceneau?" the soft spoken drawl would float over the comm. Danger would pick up her head, looking past the pair of black spectacles perched on top of the bridge of her nose. A flip of a toggle and the light would flash green to indicate transmission.

"Yes?" she would reply,

"Your appointment, Miz [member="Taeli Raaf"], has come to call." came the reply, relaying the information of Danger's subsequent guest. Both brows rose, and she gave a small nod.

"Thank you Adaessa," she would drawl out, "Please bring her into my office." Danger instructed, drawing her hand up to pull the glasses off of her face. Age had that capability of robbing one of their wits; Danger found it acceptable that instead of such she had to deal with myopia. Every year painted another streak of silver in her head and graced her with another wrinkle. Ain't too much harm, for her age, the Queen of Trade matured well.

"Of course, Miz Arceneau."

"Right this way, ma'am." the secretary would reply with a graceful smile. The Zeltron female would gesture for the business woman to follow her.

"Would you care for any refreshment?" she would ask, turning at her waist then stepping off to guide. "Something to snack on?"

[member="Danger Arceneau"]

"Oh no, I'm quite good unless you have some Bastion Black tea around," Taeli said as she was led to the meeting. "I know it's a bit hard to come by nowadays, what with the Primeval not really cultivating the tea, but it is my favorite tea." She was sure that it was common knowledge she didn't drink anything that might addle her brain, but one never knew.

Once they reached the office and she was ushered inside, Taeli smiled and came over to shake Danger's hand.

"It had been a long time, Miss Arceneau," she said. "I'm not sure if you remember me, you met me while I was going under the name of Rae and was definitely in different trappings."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I reckon I'll see what I can do," Adaessa said, her smile lingering. Once inside, Danger rose from her desk. Surprise drew within her eyes, for indeed the woman had used a different name from before. The woman had come into ownership of the station that worked along Hana in and out of Otherspace, utilizing the small fleet of ships to go in and out and bring valuable resources such as ores for Hana Station to refine.

"Well... a woman always has a different name for every occasion." she would state in mild humor.

"Miz Raaf," a hand would rise up to take Taeli's own, intending to shake it in a friendly greeting. "That it has..." she agreed, hip sway coming to a stop in front of the brunette a few feet away.

"Please, have a seat. Adaessa will bring some refreshment soon enough," a gesture would invite the Jedi Master to sit. "How may I help you?"

"Thank you," Taeli said, taking the offered and shaking it friendly, but firmly. Her father had always said a firm handshake was needed whenever one met with a peer and that lesson had been passed to his daughter ... along with the love of history. Taking her seat, she started to say, "So, I'm not sure if you remember that time from when we talked on Hana Station, but I certainly did and the project discussed then was on the back burner for a time while we expanded our operations."

Crossing her legs, she leaned back a little bit in the chair with her arms on both of the chair's arms.

"I'm sure you've been noting financial movements of Aurora Industries, especially as we just acquired Nubia Star Drives, even if just in passing ... but that fledgling little company that started as Krayt Industries has grown quite large. Maybe not as large as something like KDY, but I plan to take it there. But that is by the by, I'm here to show you the fruits of the labor of my engineers. A brand new Otherdrive, as promised if a few years later, and one that does not require a hyperdrive to be fixed after an Otherspace jump."

Danger slid into her seat, listening in as [member="Taeli Raaf"] began to detail her company, its growth, and the newest innovation the young woman had managed to bring to fruition ever since their original discussion years ago.

"Well, well..." the corner of her mouth would perk and there was a hint of seemingly growing amusement and admiration. Certainly the woman had come far. "You certainly have come far Miz Raaf. Congratulations are in order." she began, leaning back into her chair. At the mention of the otherdrive, Danger gave a cant of her head to the right in intrigue.

Now that was something interesting. Rave Merrill was the one who had pioneered that technology. Technology that had given Arceneau Trade a step forward into Otherspace prospecting.

"Is that so?" she began, then with a small wondering gesture, would ask "You happen to have a holo to go into more detail with it?"

Just how well would it compare?

"It wouldn't be a good pitch if I didn't," Taeli said, a half smile on her lips. While she might not be as wily a businesswoman as Danger, she was a great reader of body language having grown up on Lorrd. There was interest there. Reaching into her satchel, she pulled out a datapad with a built in holoprojector and activated the program so an image of the drive appeared along with the listing of its technical specs.

"I wouldn't want to bore you with the technical details of how we did it, but in a nutshell we took the arrhythmia method and tossed it out the window for a more efficient power fluctuation in the field guide. The null field quantum generator was then modified so that it kept the ship in a relatively stable corridor, but the jump can shift into an Otherspace jump. Downsides are that most ship systems get knocked out by a feedback loop for up to thirty minutes for some, others just for a few moments. Luckily shields, engines, power, life support, and navigation remain online throughout."

Smiling a bit more, she slid the pad over to Danger so she could peruse it herself.

"I think it's more than an acceptable trade-off, considering the current method makes it extremely expensive to reach Otherspace."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Uncrossing her legs, the redhead went leaning forward. Keen green eyes would drift over the design, her fingers extending out to manipulate the holoprojection. Zoom in. Zoom out. A 180 degree turn and then a ninety degree. All the while, Danger would take in the elaboration of the design and its pros and cons.

"So all vital systems remain online during those thirty minutes?" Arceneau Trade was the foremost user of Otherspace technology. Iron Crown set the standard. The question was, how well protected a convoy of such ships would hold in terms for defense. Not that it would be a large convoy by any means. When in otherspace, one made sure to keep their head low. Attacks from the Charon were still likely, and she wasn't one to send in her men without proper defense. As it was, the Pathfinder class vessels she'd outfitted for Otherspace travel did the work it required. They got in, they got out.

"How large of a space craft can these be installed in? What sort of power drain?" her eyes would flick up towards the woman.

"We designed it with ships freighter and above in mind, won't fit on something like starfighter," Taeli answered. "Power drain is negligible, but yes all vital systems remain online for those thirty minutes. If i remember my design team's report correctly, and I pride myself on a photographic memory, it takes lights five minutes, weapons twenty to thirty minutes, grav and comms four minutes, sensors take about three."

The questions were a good sign, it meant increased interest.

"I'm not sure how a ship such as a Star Destroyer size vessel would react, we never tested that, but frigates and corvettes should be able to make the jump just fine and freighters easily enough," she continued. "It could mean an expanded footprint there if that was desired, although that might attract the attention of the Charon and we don't know enough about them yet."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Hmm." her right hand rose, fingers curling to rub at her chin. Her other hand would lightly tap a beat upon the wood of her desk. "What is the production so far?' came her next query, leaning back against her chair anew as she made herself comfortable.

"How long does it take for your to produce one from start to finish?" In her mind she was comparing the supply and demand, the amount of investment versus the current cost of the small fleet of Otherspace capable ships she already had. To include the added credits required to crew them, insurance, supplies. This wasn't even including scouting ships and their own crew. Arceneau Trade prided itself on the small Otherspace capable fleet it had thanks to Rave Merrill -- and Danger wasn't one to get greedy. She made her money by smart, steady investments. The sort she gave to Iron Crown. It wasn't the high risk game she was after; it was for the assured, micro-transaction returns.

"Limited quantities and staying that way, don't want everyone getting access to Otherspace," Taeli replied. "We're looking at these Otherdrives to be on a contract basis, not something for the general public or even most galactic governments to have. As for how quickly it can take to make them, with our acquisition of Nubia and their hyperdrive experts, no more than two or three days at most. I'll admit getting the prototype working was a temperamental problem, but that's testing and designing phases for you."

She kept her legs crossed, a calm expression on her face besides the small smile on her lips. Their was assessment going on in that red head, she could tell it just by the questions. She knew ATC already had Otherdrive equipped ships, but they used the Iron Crown T-2000 Otherdrive. Costs would be outfitting those or new vessels with the new drive, replacing things, crews, supplies, etc. Taeli knew that the overhead cost of repairs being eliminated would help the assessment in Danger's mind ... and of course there was always negotiations.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Another small rap of her fingers sang against her desk. Danger was still considering things, and she wasn't one to make a decision without some proper research and numbers.

"On a contract basis?" her brow perked. Alright, she mused. "What sort of contract terms are you looking for then Miz Raaf?" she would ask. Amount of product, term of time, cost. All of those things mattered.

A small rap on the door would announce Adaessa's return.

"Come in," Danger would say, shining a smile towards Taeli as the Zeltron would enter the office with a small hover tray. In there was a fresh pot of hot water, fine Alderaanian porcelin tea service, and a small tin of the coveted Bastion Black tea.

"Your tea Miz Raaf," Adaessa would announce, setting the tea service to the right of the brunette for her pleasure.

"Thank you," Taeli said, not answering Danger just yet as she accepted the tea. It was a deliberate ploy, but Taeli wouldn't be distracted from the task at hand either.

"Terms would be ... flexible, depending on the interested company or group," Taeli stated, pouring a cup of hot water and placing a bag of the Bastion Black tea leaves into it to steep. "Of course, we wouldn't be above crafting an exclusivity contract with a group if they wanted to lock up use of this Otherdrive for themselves ... except for my company's ships of course. Jen'asha has become a bit more diverse in what we do there, new division and all that and access is required."

Swirling the tea in her cup, she used her Force abilities to chill the cup enough so the tea would be drinkable.

"All my company is looking for is access to raw materials to continue our projects," she said, taking a deliberate and slow sip of tea.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Well both ladies were well aware of the name of the game. Interest was shown, but just how far it would go and how profitable of a contract was the subject of debate. Either way, amusement shone in Danger's eyes.

She a a choice to make. She could make an offer of exclusivity, but honestly, that would only likely subject her to a higher investment of money from the get go. And to say she wasn't interested would be rubbish indeed. No, the best thing to do would be to find a happy medium. Trial, test and error so to speak.

"In that case, I can offer you a contract with Mara Tibx & Fuels along with Arceneau Trade for enough drives a small merchant fleet." she would offer the CEO of Aurora Industries. Something small, nothing beyond the standard five to show a measure of good faith. She couldn't know how well these would compare, but to make nice one had to show some measure of ensuring networking.

"If matters go well without complications, I am open to expand on the amount and breadth of the contract within six months time."

A pause.

"How does that sound?"

Taeli thought it over for a moment, mulling it over. Instant acceptance showed ... desperation might be a good word. Not something any person wanted to show in negotiations, even if they were amiable enough. But outright refusal could shut doors, an equally bad prospect. It was a fair deal ... but she might add a little cherry on top. She knew the current model of vessel that ATC and its subsidiaries used was the Pathfinder ... perhaps they might be open to something else as well.

"I accept the terms you offered, but I would add this little cherry on top," Taeli said, taking another sip of tea. "We, meaning Aurora, will be designing a brand new exploration and freighter vessel now that we have this Otherdrive finished. I'd be willing to cut ATC in on say three of these eventual ships as a trial model, free of charge."

There was the other project that she was beginning, something that could change the landscape of the galaxy as they knew it if it grew big enough. But she would hold off mention on it for now, she needed to gauge reactions right now.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Pique rose but settled within Danger's gaze. Well done, she would muse to herself, aware that the additional offer of the three exploration freighters gave the 'client' the sensation that they had not only struck a deal, but come out on top with something for nothing as well. Oh it was all part of business, Danger was well aware of it, but the ease and method that Taeli would express in her offer made it clear that the brunette had indeed come a long way since their original meeting.

"Well, with an offer like that, it is enough to make one feel giddy," she would chuckle out, but appearing grateful nonetheless. All seemingly well humored. "And a frequent customer."

"Then we have an accord Miz. Raaf," an incline of her head and a gesture would follow to shake her hand. They could get all the paperwork and documents sign thereafter, but for the now, the verbal agreement had been made.

"Indeed we do," Taeli said, smiling a bit. She felt this entire meeting had gone rather well, for both of them. She was also certain that Danger would find the product useful for her companies ... but that didn't mean Taeli was above dropping a hint.

"I hope you find everything to your liking once the shipment arrives," Taeli said, sipping her tea. "I have to say I'm glad Aurora got this project done when it did. We just began the beginning steps for a brand new project ... something that promises to change and shape the galaxy. I know you probably hear that a lot from other company owners, but as a student of history, I assure you that one of the secrets of the past is coming back."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

To say that Taeli had piqued her interest was putting it mildly, but one didn't do this type of business for decades without perfecting one's Sabaac face. The corner of her mouth would perk, and the Queen of Trade would produce an appropriate amount of curiosity.

"Is that so?" her query lingered for a moment, rising to shake the hand of the woman as they sealed their agreement. "Well, you've a way of baiting hooks well Miz Raaf." her throaty chuckle would bubble in a compliment.

"Considerin' your new Otherdrive..." she drawled out, giving a slight pause, "One wonders what other marvels you've cooked up. If it is anything like you've shown today...well... you'll be bound to be the talk of the Expo."

"When the time comes," Taeli said, smiling a bit more now. "I won't say anymore about it now, as many things still need to take place between now and then, particularly finding ... appropriate sites for material, creating secure lines of transport, areas of research. It's quite the undertaking."

It was vague and meant to seize attention, but she had no plans on revealing this project until they had a working process and production prototypes. A teaser was always good though, and someone like Danger could appreciate the little teasers that led to the big reveal.

"We have developed some new droids though, phrik armored, evolutions of the old YVH droids ... quite impressive really," Taeli said offhandedly. "Work progresses on our next Star Destroyer line, massive project that one is too. Sort of the umbrella project for our current ship dev teams."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I can imagine," a girl always needs her secrets.... and knows exactly when to drop the bait. An internal chuckle would ensue for the redheaded woman, drawing her hand back as she set to lean herself against her wooden desk. Right ankle would cross over left, and her arms would cross just under her breasts.

"Evolutions of the YVH droids?" another quirk of the brow. "Laminanium included?" came her query, wondering if this advancement on the old Yuuzhan Vong era technology had also followed suit. The YVH-Droid series back then had been considered to be an even match for most Jedi in single combat, with the Jedi's odds of winning decreasing the longer the battle raged. They had been specifically constructed to fight against the Yuuzhan vong. Seeing how things were going with the One Sith - and how she herself and Alric had also taken things into their own hands - it was not surprising that another company would vet their own method of combating the Vong for those who were interested.

Granted, no one outside of Alric and she and Vanir Technologies knew of the developments in Alpha red, the vaccine, and cure they had accomplished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom