Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech ISH Adegan-class Maser Weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image: NA
Image Source: NA
Intent: To create custom weapons using Chiss Technology for use on a future Chiss-based Starship Submission

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Imperial State Hypernautics
Model: Adegan-class Maser Weapon
Affiliation: Restricted Sales to Imperial Factions
Modularity: Can accommodate any standard weapon modifier
Production: Mass
Material: Alusteel, Mirkanite, and other common energy weapon construction materials

Description:
Cut off and isolated from their home world of Csilla for hundreds of years, the Chiss native to Golgatha Alpha in the Sirat Wen system have long struggled to maintain their cultural and technological heritage. An inherent part of that heritage are the charric and maser weapons that their people have long been infamous for using. Strait from the brilliant minds of these Sirat Wen native Chiss, the Adegan-class Maser Weapon is but the latest generation of such weapon designs.

The weapon fires a large bolt of super-heated plasma peppered with crystal shards at a target. Utilizing Agrocite enhanced Tibanna Gas as a fuel source and mixing in shards of ground up Adegan Crystals, the maser weapon propels this volatile mix of super-heated plasma and crystal shards at great speeds towards a target. Though the weapon uses significantly more fuel than a typical laser cannon, adding agrocite to the fuel mixture allows the weapon a considerable greater damage to fuel ratio, as the weapon pumps a considerable amount of energy into a single, very powerful shot that is almost twenty times as damaging as a single laser cannon blast.

More so, the intense speed and heat of the energy, combined with the crystal shards mixed into the plasma, causes the energy bolt to cause just as much kinetic damage to the target as it does thermal damage. The amount of damage the weapon is capable of causing in but a single bolt enables the weapon to have superior armor penetration than a comparable number of laser impacts. Likewise, because the weapon causes simultaneous kinetic and thermal damage to a target, it is disproportionately damaging to Deflector Shields as opposed to a ship with dual Ray and Particle Shielding.

However, the weapon is not without its flaws. The weapon has an exceptionally slow rate of fire. Each weapon only firing one powerful blast roughly every two minutes. It also has a lower range due to the high-yield plasma and crystalline shards losing beam coherence over long distances. The weapon also has a lower overall damage output compared to other, similar laser cannons over a protracted engagement, though this is considered an acceptable trade-off for the vastly superior capability to penetrate thick armor and do significant damage to deflector shields.

Classification: Maser (Laser/Kinetic) Weapon
Size: Starfighter and Capital Ship Weapon
Length: 1.8x Laser Cannon Length
Weight: 2x Laser Cannon Weight
Ammunition: Agrocite Enhanced Tibanna Gas + ground up Adegan Crystals
Ammunition Capacity: Standard Capital Ship Capacity
Rate of Fire: Slow
Effective Range: Short Range (~2/3rds Standard Laser Cannon Ranges)
Special Features:
  • Does both Kinetic and Thermal Damage
  • High Armor Penetration Capabilities
  • Highly Effective against Deflector Shields
  • Consumes twice as much fuel as a standard laser cannon
  • Counts as 6x Laser Cannons for purposes of gun consolidation
Primary Source: Maser, Charric,

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

[member="T'yr Dellos"], please arrange this submission to fit the current ranged weapons template. While most of the fields are here, this seems to be missing the "Rate of Fire" field.

T'yr Dellos said:
The amount of damage the weapon is capable of causing in but a single bolt enables the weapon to have superior armor penetration than a comparable number of laser impacts.

So this weapon has better anti-armor performance than 6 laser cannons over a comparable amount of time? Or the single bolt of the maser has more anti-armor performance than a six laser cannon bolts? Or does this mean something else?

T'yr Dellos said:
Likewise, because the weapon causes simultaneous kinetic and thermal damage to a target, it is disproportionately damaging to Deflector Shields as opposed to a ship with dual Ray and Particle Shielding. In practice, the weapon performs approximately 1.5 times the damage to Deflector Shields as it does to a ship with separated Ray and Particle Shielding.

As far as I have been able to gather, deflector shielding is a catch-all term that encompasses both standard Ray and Particle shielding. In other words, I do not think that a ship listing both separate particle and ray shield generators would functionally be different than a ship using just "deflector shields". If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

If this is indeed the case (and it could well be), there will need to be a corresponding weakness to account for this weapon's unusual effectiveness against Deflector shields. Given that Chiss charric weaponry is generally shorter-ranged than corresponding blaster weapons, I might suggest a shorter range. If charrics are indeed maser-guided particle weaponry as suggested by Wookieepedia, this would fit in with standard particle cannons being powerful but having shorter ranges than conventional blaster artillery of comparable size.

EDIT:
Deflector shields surround craft in two protective force fields: ray shielding and particle shielding.
~NEGVV, page XIII

Gir Quee said:
As far as I have been able to gather, deflector shielding is a catch-all term that encompasses both standard Ray and Particle shielding. In other words, I do not think that a ship listing both separate particle and ray shield generators would functionally be different than a ship using just "deflector shields". If you have any evidence to the contrary, I'd like to see it.

If this is indeed the case (and it could well be), there will need to be a corresponding weakness to account for this weapon's unusual effectiveness against Deflector shields. Given that Chiss charric weaponry is generally shorter-ranged than corresponding blaster weapons, I might suggest a shorter range. If charrics are indeed maser-guided particle weaponry as suggested by Wookieepedia, this would fit in with standard particle cannons being powerful but having shorter ranges than conventional blaster artillery of comparable size.
Deflector Shielding is a type of shielding that provides both energy and kinetic protection. Ray Shielding protects only against energy and Particle Shielding protects only against kinetic weapons.
There are a number of ships that specify themselves as having a dual ray/particle shield instead of a deflector shield, and there are a number of dual-shielded ships that specifically state ray shielding, deflector shielding, or particle shielding for each given shield.

The benefit to having a separated Ray and Particle shielding system is that, should one be compromised, the other remains. Such as, for instance, turbolasers bringing down a ship's Ray Shielding, but the Particle Shields are still online and protecting the ship from incoming Missiles and Mass-Drivers. A split Ray/Particle shield system is... interesting. There are a number of pros and cons involved. Deflector Shielding simplifies everything into a single shield... any attack hits the shield and it is weakened as a whole. And you're always applying your full shielding capabilities into defending against all attacks. The down side, is that the Deflector Shielding is particularly vulnerable to an Ion Cannon / Mass-Driver combo attack. The Ion Cannon weakens the shield and the Mass-Driver round punches through. A Ray/Particle shield does not have that weakness. Though, you run the risk of running into an opponent that only uses mass-drivers or only uses energy weapons. In such cases, half of your shield strength isn't getting used. Then there's the actual strength of the shielding involved. If a Deflector Shield is 100%, then a Ray/Particle shield system would (in my eyes anyway) be roughly 75% and 75%. Meaning that each shield is only 3/4ths as strong as a full-on Deflector Shield, but that there is a combined effectiveness of 150%... so... if you are facing an enemy with a mixed arsenal, you effectively have more shielding than if you had simply had a Deflector Shield. And if you face an enemy with only kinetic or energy weapons? Well... that's the risk you took. You're only getting about 75% of the protection a Deflector Shield would have provided.

Gir Quee said:
So this weapon has better anti-armor performance than 6 laser cannons over a comparable amount of time? Or the single bolt of the maser has more anti-armor performance than a six laser cannon bolts? Or does this mean something else?

T'yr Dellos said:
This bolt is roughly three times as large as a comparable laser cannon bolt and is accompanied by a cooldown period between shots that is roughly four times that of a comparable laser cannon.

I'm using this, roughly, to figure out the math behind this. If you had a standard laser cannon that did 6x laser cannon damage, this weapon would fire at 1/4th the speed of that weapon. But, the damage per shot from this weapon is superior. Three times as much. That's where the extra armor penetration is coming from. The overall damage this weapon does to the hull of a ship is roughly the same as 6 laser cannons or a single... "heavy+heavy+(half-heavy) laser cannon". But because it's lumping more power into a single large bolt hitting at a single point, it's more likely to punch through heavy armor plating to REACH the hull and do damage. (Assuming that it's Shields, then Armor, then Hull that takes damage, with hull damage effecting the frame/spine of the ship and random components)

That... and because of the space-magic of charric weapons, it also does Kinetic damage. But... the only details I could find on the weapons were fairly sparse. Popo says they do kinetic damage because the plasma is just moving really, really fast. I opted to mix crystal shards into the plasma as justification for the kinetic damage value.

Adding in a RoF now.

[member="T'yr Dellos"], I made an edit to my original post while you were replying.
Deflector Shielding is a type of shielding that provides both energy and kinetic protection. Ray Shielding protects only against energy and Particle Shielding protects only against kinetic weapons.

"Deflector shields surround craft in two protective force fields: ray shielding and particle shielding".
~New Essential guide to Vehicles and Vessels, page XIII

Based on that quote, it would seem that a ship that has deflector shield generator has both types of shielding. It doesn't seem to be a separate type of shielding in any source that I know of.

There are a number of ships that specify themselves as having a dual ray/particle shield instead of a deflector shield, and there are a number of dual-shielded ships that specifically state ray shielding, deflector shielding, or particle shielding for each given shield.
Can you link me to some of these examples? I'm particularly interested in seeing a canon craft that has both deflector shields and an explicitly different ray or particle shield. It's worth noting that according to EGWT, "particle shields are standard equipment on all starships" (pg. 82).

T'yr Dellos said:
I'm using this, roughly, to figure out the math behind this. 3x4=12. If you had a standard laser cannon that did 6x laser cannon damage, this weapon would fire at half the speed of that weapon. But, the damage per shot from this weapon is superior. That's where the extra armor penetration is coming from. The overall damage this weapon does to the hull of a ship is roughly the same as 6 laser cannons or a single... "heavy+heavy+(half-heavy) laser cannon". But because it's lumping more power into a single large bolt hitting at a single point, it's more likely to punch through heavy armor plating to REACH the hull and do damage. (Assuming that it's Shields, then Armor, then Hull that takes damage, with hull damage effecting the frame/spine of the ship and random components) That... and because of the space-magic of charric weapons, it also does Kinetic damage. But... the only details I could find on the weapons were fairly sparse. Popo says they do kinetic damage because the plasma is just moving really, really fast. I opted to mix crystal shards into the plasma as justification for the kinetic damage value.
I'm good with this. Much like blaster mechanics, there seems to be some gaps to fill in with the actual mechanics of how they work. I'm not fully certain about the exact nature of how a particle weapon would work...unless it's exactly like a real-life particle cannon, which doesn't seem to be the case given that they have "bolts".

Gir Quee said:
Can you link me to some of these examples? I'm particularly interested in seeing a canon craft that has both deflector shields and an explicitly different ray or particle shield. It's worth noting that according to EGWT, "particle shields are standard equipment on all starships" (pg. 82).

I'm not sure about Canon sources, but pretty much every warship made by Mandal Hypernautics has a dual-shield design. Even from my earliest designs, I always separated Ray and Particle shields as two entirely different systems on my ships. Though my three most recent ships utilize a stacked Deflector/Ray shield... and my Beskad trades its Ray shield for extra strength Particle Shields.... And I have a few civilian ships that simply have Deflector Shields...

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/79095-alor-class-dreadnought/

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/78181-roche-class-light-corvette/

​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/72904-rekali-class-space-superiority-fighter/

Primary Retribution Ray Shielding
Secondary Thermal Deflector Shielding

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/27453-concordia-class-dreadnought/

Compartmentalized Particle Shield Generator
Compartmentalized Ray Shield Generator
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/39653-kandosii-type-dreadnaught/

Ray Shielding
Particle Shielding
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19390-skira-class-heavy-cruiser/

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/26561-type-2-kyramund-class-battleship/

Ray Shielding
Deflector Shielding
​
http://starwarsrp.net/topic/26560-type-2-keldabe-class-battleship/

Ray Shielding
Deflector Shielding
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19138-nexus-class-cruiser/

• Standard Particle Shield Generator
  • Standard Ray Shield Generator
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/27082-krayt-class-light-cruiser/

Ray Shielding
Particle Shielding
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/17796-nynir-class-heavy-frigate/

Ray Shields
Particle Shields
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/21848-haranuliik-class-light-frigate/

Ray Shielding
Deflector Shielding
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19137-nebula-class-corvette/

• Standard Particle Shield Generator
  • Standard Ray Shield Generator
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19908-yaivhey-class-corvette/

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19136-buitsad-class-corvette/

• Ray Shielding
  • Particle Shielding
​

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19140-beskad-class-starfighter/

Extra Strength Particle Shields (no ray shielding, beskar plating supplements this)

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/60019-mkii-cabur-class-starfighter/

Ray Shielding
Particle Shielding

http://starwarsrp.net/topic/19139-cabur-class-starfighter/

Ray Shielding
Particle Shielding

[member="T'yr Dellos"], I don't see any issue with listing ray and particle shields as separate systems. It certainly does give people some extra flexibility in properties with different specific types of shielding. The power draw for listing ray and particle shields separately should be the same as for deflector shield generators, since they're exactly the same systems.

However, I'm not inclined to penalize people for listing them as one system rather than two.

Please remove the reference to its effectiveness against deflector shields compared to other types of shielding.

T'yr Dellos said:
[member="Gir Quee"]

How many posts of development would be required to retain the feature?
To clarify, since there isn't any differentiation aside from nomenclature between deflector shields and normal ray and particle shields, we're looking at weapon that does 1.5x damage to shields?

This is doable, but it's going to require a commensurate weakness to go with it at mass production. Obviously there will be a bit more leeway in the weakness department if the production is lowered.

[member="Gir Quee"]

I understand that you do not see the difference between a ship with deflector shielding and a ship that has seperate ray and particle shielding, but I do. I can clarify in the submission that the weapon does not gain the 1.5x damage bonus against ships with seperated ray and partical shield systems in its submission... if that would help at all, let me know.

I wouldn't mind lowering the production to minor. But for now, lets see what the development thread requirements come upto at mass production. Likewise, I could shorten the range to 2/3rds that of a standard laser cannon.

I'd like to see the dev thread requirements for "as is" and have clarification for which edits will result in what sort of reduction in dev thread requirements.

*Clarify Deflector Shields as different from individual Ray/Particle shielding
*Reduce range to 2/3rds standard laser cannon ranges
*Reduce to Minor Production
*Reduce to Limited Production

T'yr Dellos said:
[member="Gir Quee"]

I understand that you do not see the difference between a ship with deflector shielding and a ship that has seperate ray and particle shielding, but I do. I can clarify in the submission that the weapon does not gain the 1.5x damage bonus against ships with seperated ray and partical shield systems in its submission... if that would help at all, let me know.
I generally don't mind people expanding into a gray area with their own idea when fleshing out ideas of their own tech. I do take issue with people expanding past a gray area to define what other people's technology is and isn't capable of doing, especially when it seems that canon material seems to be pretty explicitly say otherwise.

Every source I've been able to find so far explicitly defines or implicitly suggests that deflector shield generators covers both ray and particle shielding for a given ship.

If this differentiation is key to your concept of this weapon, I'm inclined to deny it.

However, I've been wrong before, and I'd like to bring in [member="Raziel"] to get his opinion on this before proceeding.

[member="Gir Quee"]

I'm not defining what other people's technology is or isn't capable of. I'm defining how this submission would interact with Technology A as opposed to how it interacts with Technology B.

[member="T'yr Dellos"]

From wookiepedia:

There were two distinct types of deflector shield: ray shields, also known as energy shields, and particle shields. The former protected against energy-based attacks, such as blaster or laser cannon fire, while the latter was developed in response to physical attacks, ranging from projectile missiles and incoming vehicles to asteroids and meteors.

T'yr Dellos said:
In practice, the weapon performs approximately 1.5 times the damage to Deflector Shields as it does to a ship with separated Ray and Particle Shielding.
This line doesn't really make any sense, so please remove it.

The submission currently is a little confusing to follow and could do with clearing up. It would make it much easier for me to follow.

At the moment I read this and I go:

1/4th the RoF of any similar laser cannon with a damage modifier of 6x

Ok so that's 6/4 so about 50% more damage over time compared to getting hit from normal weapons.

Then I also see high armour penetration, and and statements about shields.

To make life easier for everyone please could you make a nice simple statement along the lines of:

Over time a barrage from this weapon is around [insert here] more effective against shields than a typical laser cannon (and more or less against shields or armour as required)

I just want this so that anyone could have a quick skim of the sub and understand what they need to write out in a roleplay setting. (You may keep all the individual details that lead to this statement)

Raziel said:
There were two distinct types of deflector shield: ray shields, also known as energy shields, and particle shields. The former protected against energy-based attacks, such as blaster or laser cannon fire, while the latter was developed in response to physical attacks, ranging from projectile missiles and incoming vehicles to asteroids and meteors.

In practice, the weapon performs approximately 1.5 times the damage to Deflector Shields as it does to a ship with separated Ray and Particle Shielding.
This line doesn't really make any sense, so please remove it.

Why?

I don't see why it does not make sense. For instance, this weapon was slated to be approved pending a development thread (another back-burner project) and the Factory Admin at the time saw no issues with a weapon that differentiated between Deflector Shields being different from individual Ray and Particle Shields.

More over, the weapon appears to have no special effect against a ship which utilize separate ray and particle shields instead of unified deflector shielding, as the ion charge and solid slug impact the respective shield systems separately.
Then there's this approved weapon.
Vulcan Mass-Driver Flak Cannon
  • High damage to Particle and Deflector Shielding
And this.
MH-EW17 Active Camouflage
Due to the nature of the holographic projections, the ship cannot be cloaked without first disabling ray and deflector shielding.
And this.
Alor-class Dreadnought
The Alor-class Dreadnought utilizes top of the line modern shielding. A double layered shielding system protects the dreadnought, utilizing Retribution Ray Shielding as the initial layer and Thermal Deflector Shielding as the secondary layer. The first layer of shielding is capable of reflecting a portion of of incoming energy attacks back at the firing ship, but offers no protection against kinetic weapons or missiles. The second layer of shielding was fairly strong, even for a ship the size of the Alor-class. This secondary layer of shielding was capable of protecting against energy, kinetic, and missile weapons but also prevented the Alor-class from firing its own weapons. To work around this, the various shield emitters of the ship were tied into the weapons control systems. Every time an individual turret or missile tube fired, a small hole in the ship's shielding opened up directly over the firing weapon. Unless the firing weapon happened to be an energy based weapon, this opening in the ship's shields did not also extend to the ray shielding.

Then there's the actual Deflector Shield Legends page on Wookieepedia which indicates that Deflector Shields combine Ray and Particle shielding effects into a single shield.
Deflector shields were first developed during the early years of space exploration, designed to absorb heat and radiation encountered in space and within a planetary atmosphere. Before the introduction of deflector shields, pilots had to rely solely on thick, armored hulls and panels of reflective armor for protection against meteors and laser attacks. More advanced versions of the energy shield were developed centuries later, until eventually modern shielding was able to combine ray and particle protection. Eventually, shield technology improved enough to allow some ground vehicles to have dedicated shield generators.
Deflector shields worked in a layered defense fashion: A volumetric field effect extended out from the surface of the shield projector, attempting to reduce the coherency of any beam attacks and deflect physical objects. The shield itself behaved in a manner similar to that of a thermally conductive material—energy applied was quickly diffused and re-radiated back into the environment, but the shield itself could also absorb some of the energy.
Ray Shields

A ray shield was a specialized type of deflector shield employed in both the time of the Galactic Republic and the Galactic Empire.
Particle Shields
A particle shield was a type of deflector shield used to deflect physical projectiles or space debris. The shield had to be deactivated to launch spacecraft such as shuttles or starfighters, or if a starship wished to fire its own projectiles.
And again on the Deflector Shield page.
There were two distinct types of deflector shield: ray shields, also known as energy shields, and particle shields. The former protected against energy-based attacks, such as blaster or laser cannon fire, while the latter was developed in response to physical attacks, ranging from projectile missiles and incoming vehicles to asteroids and meteors. Commonly, larger ships and structures were protected by both types of shield, though starfighters often only projected ray shields.
Every source I find shows that while Deflector Shields are capable of providing energy and kinetic protection, that individual Ray Shields and Particle Shields are a separate and unique form of shielding. Classified as a unique type of deflector shielding. The existing uses of these shield systems on the board and in already approved or pending development submissions concers with this status. That Ray Shielding, Particle Shielding, and Deflector Shielding are three unique and separate forms of shielding that behave in different manners to one another.

Even the Wookieepedia page on Shield lists Deflector, Ray, and Particle shield systems as three entirely different forms of shielding.
There are several different type of shields:

Deflector shield
Particle shield
Ray shield
Shield (Defender-class assault carrier)
Shield (physical armor)
Shift shield
Personal energy shield
Apparently, the only source of material that conflicts with this is a single line from a page in this book.

And by the way, according to the Wookieepedia page...
There were, however, some glaring errors throughout the book.

So again... Why is there an issue with this technology differentiating between the way it interacts with Deflector Shields as opposed to individual Ray and Particle Shields?

Raziel said:
At the moment I read this and I go:

1/4th the RoF of any similar laser cannon with a damage modifier of 6x

Ok so that's 6/4 so about 50% more damage over time compared to getting hit from normal weapons.

Then I also see high armour penetration, and and statements about shields.

To make life easier for everyone please could you make a nice simple statement along the lines of:

Over time a barrage from this weapon is around [insert here] more effective against shields than a typical laser cannon (and more or less against shields or armour as required)

I just want this so that anyone could have a quick skim of the sub and understand what they need to write out in a roleplay setting. (You may keep all the individual details that lead to this statement)

T'yr Dellos said:
This bolt is roughly three times as large as a comparable laser cannon bolt and is accompanied by a cooldown period between shots that is roughly four times that of a comparable laser cannon.
"Comparable" meaning a standard laser cannon with a gun consolidation of 6x.

The individual bolt is three times larger than the bolt of a 6x laser cannon, so it punches at an 18 (thus the enhanced armor penetration), and then has an extended cooldown period that is longer than the cooldown period of a 6x laser cannon would be.

So if, for instance...
Lets say that a standard laser cannon fires a 1 second beam of energy and then has a 4 second cooldown period. It would fire 1 shot every 5 seconds.
From that, a 6x laser cannon would fire... lets say a 6 second beam of energy followed by a 24 second cooldown period. It would fire 1 shot every 25 seconds.
Compared to that standard, this weapon would fire a 18 second beam of energy and then have a 96 second cooldown period. It would fire 1 shot every 114 seconds.
In that same 114 seconds, a 6x laser cannon would fire 4.5 shots. And a standard laser cannon would fire 22.8 shots.
The benefit is that this weapon is pumping 18 shots worth of energy/kinetic damage into a single point all at once. Thus, you end up with greater armor penetration, but it balances out at 6x points of weapon consolidation due to the cooldown and because, over an extended battle, you end up with a lower overall damage output traded off for a superior capability to penetrate thick armor and (hopefully) a greater effect against deflector shields. Even with adding 1.5x damage to deflector shields on top of the 18 shot value, you end up with a 27 shot value vs Deflector Shields as opposed to a standard laser cannon doing 22.8 shots of damage over a 114 second period. Vs Ray Shields and Particle Shields, the weapon would do 9 damage to one and 9 damage to the other and gain no bonus.

I see that as a valid trade-off of strengths and weaknesses. And I've already volunteered to drop the range of these weapons to 2/3rds standard laser cannon ranges if they really need balanced out any further.

(Again, this is all comparative... and isn't... exact. Because we don't have an exact RoF for standard weapons like the Laser Cannon.)

[member="T'yr Dellos"]

Right, I've given this another good look over. As it stands the submission is still just a bit confusing. All I really want to do is ensure it's easy to read, approachable and balanced. As most people don't differentiate between listing shields separately I'm adding in your 2/3rds range to ensure they're not overly punished for this.

I've attempted below to try and abstract from the numbers game a bit and make it easy to follow using your summary at the end of the tl;dr. Suggested additions in red, strike through removals (took out tl dr spoiler). This, or something near it will suffice.

[SIZE=12pt]Image[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: NA
Image Source: NA
Intent: To create custom weapons using Chiss Technology for use on a future Chiss-based Starship Submission

Development Thread: NA
Manufacturer: Imperial State Hypernautics

Model: Adegan-class Maser Weapon
Affiliation: Restricted Sales to Imperial Factions
Modularity: Can accommodate any standard weapon modifier
Production: Mass
Material: Alusteel, Mirkanite[/SIZE], and other common energy weapon construction materials

Description:
Cut off and isolated from their home world of Csilla for hundreds of years, the Chiss native to Golgatha Alpha in the Sirat Wen system have long struggled to maintain their cultural and technological heritage. An inherent part of that heritage are the charric and maser weapons that their people have long been infamous for using. Strait from the brilliant minds of these Sirat Wen native Chiss, the Adegan-class Maser Weapon is but the latest generation of such weapon designs.

The weapon fires a large bolt of super-heated plasma peppered with crystal shards at a target. Utilizing Agrocite enhanced Tibanna Gas as a fuel source and mixing in shards of ground up Adegan Crystals, the maser weapon propels this volatile mix of super-heated plasma and crystal shards at great speeds towards a target. This bolt is roughly three times as large as a comparable laser cannon bolt and is accompanied by a cooldown period between shots that is roughly four times that of a comparable laser cannon. The weapon uses twice as much fuel and power as a standard laser cannon would require, but produces a damaging effect roughly six times as devastating as a similar laser cannon.

[SIZE=12pt]The Maser uses significantly more fuel than a typical laser cannon. However it pumps the energy into one very powerful shot, which is almost twenty times as damaging as a single laser cannon blast. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]More so, the intense speed and heat of the energy, combined with the crystal shards mixed into the plasma, causes the energy bolt to cause just as much kinetic damage to the target as it does thermal damage. The amount of damage the weapon is capable of causing in but a single bolt enables the weapon to have superior armor penetration than a comparable number of laser impacts. Likewise, because the weapon causes simultaneous kinetic and thermal damage to a target, it is disproportionately damaging to Deflector Shields as opposed to a ship with dual Ray and Particle Shielding.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]The downside of this weapon is an exceptionally slow rate of fire. Each weapon only firing every two minutes. It also has a lower range due to the energy and kinetic components losing coherence over distance. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This means that over time the weapon the weapon has a shorter range and lower overall damage output when compared to six laser cannons, but this is traded off for a superior capability to penetrate thick armor and a greater effect against deflector shields. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Classification: Maser (Laser/Kinetic) Weapon
Size: Starfighter and Capital Ship Weapon
Length: 1.8x Laser Cannon Length
Weight: 2x Laser Cannon Weight
Ammunition: Agrocite
Enhanced Tibanna Gas[/SIZE] + ground up Adegan Crystals
Ammunition Capacity: Standard Capital Ship Capacity
Rate of Fire: Slow
Effective Range: Low Range (~2/3 Standard Laser Canon Ranges)
Special Features
:
  • [SIZE=12pt]Does both Kinetic and Thermal Damage[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]High Armor Penetration Capabilities[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Highly Effective against Deflector Shields[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Consumes twice as much fuel as a standard laser cannon[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]Counts as 6x Laser Cannons for purposes of gun consolidation[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Primary Source[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]: Maser, Charric[/SIZE],

[member="Raziel"]

Not the formatting that I like to do, but I can work with it.

Is there a dev thread requirement for this? If I do standard Laser Cannon ranges instead of 2/3rds range, what sort of Dev Thread requirements would I be looking at?

Is the production level acceptable?

If I drop it to Minor or Limited, what would that do to the dev thread requirements? If there are no dev thread requirements, could I drop to limited or minor production and increase the range to standard laser cannon ranges?

[member="Raziel"]

Updated the submission with the requested edits (formatted the phrasing a bit differently).

When you get a chance, I'd like to hear my options in regards to dev thread requirements and the trade-offs and balancing options I can work with before this is finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom