Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dune Rhur said:
I've said it before: there are a number of people around here who seem to want nothing more than to wipe out the Republic as a faction. I think that even extends into GA/SSC writers too,
Possibly the source of why the GA/SSC writers don't participate in invasions with the GR is because of this mentality. Inaction does not equal subversion. Just because the Silver Sanctum is too far away to invade the OS or be invaded does not mean they are waiting for the Galactic Republic to no longer exist in order to "inherit" things.
arjRrM.jpg
The Galactic Alliance is a brand new faction, so obviously they aren't going to sit there and hit at the biggest, almost undefeated, faction on the map. They already tried an invasion, and it was led by a group of writers that generally were seen as "the winning group" in invasions, oh but they lost.

The practice of blaming people for something that is out of their control is what causes tension, and placing any blame on another faction for this faction's successive losses only causes writers to avoid the faction and anything to do with it.

Dune Rhur said:
For those of you unaware, it was the OS who mainly caused the revisions to the invasions you now see. They'd dogpile a thread, literally overnight, because everyone and their mother joined them. They'd 'win' simply by having more writers. It didn't help that every third Jedi writer 'fell' to the Dark Side.
You probably weren't here, then, when the One Sith was somewhat new-ish and was being dogpiled by the Republic, Mandalorians, and Omega Protectorate, which prompted a firestorm of issues and ended up with rules added to the Invasion rules. I agree that various practices (like the dominion rules regarding posts per member stuff) were implemented because of various members who participated in the One Sith, but simply saying they are the root of all evil in not so few words is like the pot calling the kettle black.

Dune Rhur said:
Why are the OS writers, almost to the man, difficult like that. I don't get it, their idea of 'fun' is simply winning, no matter how well they write. They are quick to gang up on you OOC if you say anything even slightly negative about one of them, justified or no.

Dune Rhur said:
OOC, it's what turned me off wanting to write a Sith here, the people that write them. I don't care if any of them see this post, honestly. I find it sad how they're claiming a technicality as a means of victory. Petty, grasping at straws.
Cool. I'll keep that in mind, having previously written a Sith Lord prior to starting this character.

sabrina

Draco Vereen said:
The Door swingeth both ways.

I've won more duels against Sith than hits I've landed against GR. Not everything is one sided. Its normally both.
Never any point fighting someone who can't take a hit

Perhaps slandering our possible allies isn't the way to go about this in the aftermath of a disappointing invasion. Might I suggest to you all, that we set about changing/suggesting an alternative guideline that invasions could follow? Should there be any mis-worded discrepancies that pop up during the "negotiation" phase, we have something to look back on so that this issue of OoC dog-piling doesn't happen again.

It's clear to me, as a newcomer to Chaos, that the system in place doesn't really work too well. Too much bickering, and the exciting moments seen on the screen, or on the page, are lost by the Hero Complex and our inherent desire to succeed.

As to the One Sith not taking a hit, that's because you're leaving room for them to do so.I'll leave that up to each and every one of you on how to interpret as it can be applied to a case by case basis. However, I don't want to see you guys drop into the "Win No Matter" the costs OOC mindset. It isn't fun and it compromises your character. Trust me. Spent a decade getting that through my thick skull on another site, and lost out on a lot of fun moments.

Anyways, that's my two cents on this topic. Feel free to spend it as you wish.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

Please stop cherry picking. I said 'we should form a temporary coalition'. Something that's been suggested a lot IC/OOC but yet to be implemented for months and months. I'm not entirely blaming GA/SSC writers, but what I am doing is pointing out something that seems suspicious based on what I've gleaned IC/OOC.

You told me to 'get over it'. My personal criticisms aren't directed at you. You'd be surprised at what I was aware of, being as this account replaced an older one which I'm locked out of because of password issues.

I was at the invasion of Kashyyk with that old account where the OS shut down the Jedi/GR commm system in such a manner that ignored the reasonable, logical protests of GR writers. Basically the writer showed up on a battlefield, sliced the system and shut it down without allowing the GR to say boo. Being shot at? Doesn't matter, bunch of bodyguards. Counter attempts to stop him? Doesn't matter, he was the super hacker.

Then there were instances of casting Force Storms. That happened before I wrote with that account. I had several 'old school' writers of 2-3 years ago confirm that OOC plus other stuff.

One of the subaccounts of the account I regret that I cannot recover was a short-lived Sith. I had something I took to a rather uncaring faction staff who then proceeded to browbeat me over PM for what had been a simple question originally.

There there is Arisa's recent issues. Not the first instance of them doing that, trust me. I just find it strange how they complain about certain things but often do it themselves.

There are reasons for my dislike, so please don't just assume I'm being 'passive-aggressive' because we're losing. Also, I've 'gotten over it', but given what happened elsewhere and how you seem to take personal offence, I want to ask if you have.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I don't think Dune was trying to pit the blame on the GA or SSC for our misfortunes. I think he's commenting on the lack of camaraderie between the factions right now. He's not imagining it, I've seen it too. We have some individuals who aid us from time to time, but we're not coordinating on an inter-faction level like the Sith. That puts us at a real disadvantage. Someone else putting the pressure on the OS would help everyone out in the long run, rather than allowing them to take their time grounding down on one faction at a time.

I don't consider the GA a new faction. It was founded back in September of last year (seems to have gone major within the last six months), and is currently one of the largest factions on the boards in terms of membership and territory. As you said, the GA has collection of experienced writers, so it's not like they're lacking in that department either. They didn't have a problem fighting the OS earlier in their history, so I don't see a problem with it now when they're larger and more powerful. Besides expanding their territory, what actions are they taking against the OS or their allies at this time? I'd really like to know so that I can give them a hand.

The OS like power gaming, extending to use of OOC tactics to work the system. That can be extremely off-putting to people looking for a more fulfilling roleplay experience. IC, anything goes, but OOC, I just expect some more sporting conduct in order to avoid a toxic atmosphere. I thought I had a good rapport going with my opponent until they decided that they wanted to invalidate our entire roleplay in the pursuit of that all important point. They were very transparent on that fact in their post.

[member="Dallen Thayne"] Sure, count me in.

Dune Rhur said:
[member="Braith Achlys"]

I was at the invasion of Kashyyk with that old account where the OS shut down the Jedi/GR commm system in such a manner that ignored the reasonable, logical protests of GR writers. Basically the writer showed up on a battlefield, sliced the system and shut it down without allowing the GR to say boo. Being shot at? Doesn't matter, bunch of bodyguards. Counter attempts to stop him? Doesn't matter, he was the super hacker.
I was there too and seem to remember the writer was open to someone counter slicing the character in order to stop him. But it appeared the GR had no slicing characters to do this - imagine that, it's a Star Wars game set in the future with no computer hackers?

Or possibly they started the attempt late - my memory is a little fuzzy.

Or maybe glowy sticks are just more fun. :)

Also a slicer in an invasion eliminating a target is a super creative way to handle those same old battlefield objectives. The reasonable logical protest could have come in the form of an imaginative way to handle the slicer vs. protesting an OOC capacity.

[member="Dune Rhur"]

[member="Braith Achlys"]

I agree Dune worded himself too strongly, however, having been around at the time the One Sith first emerged I don't think I remember a dogpile? I remember the Mandalorians launching an Invasion after the GR once and yes the Omega attempted several invasions.I don't recall anyone had successive invasions and multiple invasions at a time against the OS then though.

Granted maybe people tried to plan some behind the scenes on the FA levels between everyone, but seeing as we aren't exactly able to gather them all up, check their testimony, and know whether everything is right. *shrugs*

Either way I don't think that has much impact on matters now.

[member="Zalaam Na"]

I was there too with a different alt, and that hacker showed up in several invasion threads. I am going with Dune 100% on this. Not only did he not know HOW to actually hack, he pretty much used Super Hacker as his response to matters. He even tried taking over MANNED GUNS for vehicles and ships that weren't droid or computer operated.

I mean I've tried explain hacking to everyone, including said person, so they can do it properly. Because its great to have people try something else, but painful to watch it done so poorly yet have them reap rewards they shouldn't.

Hey anyone remember why the Rebels didn't hack the death star and shut its weapon system down? Or why they didn't just remotely hack steal the plans in the first place? Or ANY other instance of hacking?

You need a physical link or else your gonna have a bad time. Star Wars like, like the Alien franchise and other sci fi of its time, is that Retro Sci Fi tech. Its why the Rebels, and characters in the novels, never could just remotely hack ships to shut down weapons or steal things. Hacking works in the star wars universe in 2 ways. When you have a physical link to the data/object you wish to hack or its a wireless transmission in which case you just have to rp working through encryptions.

So for the hacker who basically just SAYS he hacks into stuff without explanation, I can't accept how he's gotten away with it. Its not possible as we've seen them unable to do it on screen which is the strongest source to go from. Now if he worked to infiltrate a base and plug in then he can drop shields, open doors, take over guns, fine. But otherwise, the most a hacker can reasonably access is comms and listen in. EVEN THEN ITS QUESTIONABLE. Star Wars: REBELS they can't even do that they had to infiltrate the Imperial Comm station to run their signal, they COULDN'T REMOTELY HACK IN. They even talked about how they HAD to go in because it was impossible otherwise.

So yeah, don't like the abuse of hacking when there is canon against it.

You can complain all you want about super-hacking but if no one tried to counter-hack his attacks your point is irrelevant.

Whether he was writing it well or poorly is your subjective opinion.

[member="Dallen Thayne"]

Dune Rhur said:
You told me to 'get over it'. My personal criticisms aren't directed at you. You'd be surprised at what I was aware of, being as this account replaced an older one which I'm locked out of because of password issues.
I don't recall ever saying that in this conversation.

Dune Rhur said:
Neat. I was there too. Someone from this side brought in 100,000 NPCs in a single post. Which turned into 20,000 when they were told that was an insane number.

Dune Rhur said:
There are reasons for my dislike, so please don't just assume I'm being 'passive-aggressive' because we're losing. Also, I've 'gotten over it', but given what happened elsewhere and how you seem to take personal offence, I want to ask if you have.
No, I haven't. It's just that these kinds of discussions are the reasons why members in both factions have the same opinion of each other. Peruse the other faction's forum and you'll notice various people have the same gripes, it isn't something exclusive to them. It isn't exclusive to us, either.

I don't recall calling you passive-aggressive, either. I made counterpoints to your argument. Haven't called you any names.

Dallen Thayne said:
I agree Dune worded himself too strongly, however, having been around at the time the One Sith first emerged I don't think I remember a dogpile? I remember the Mandalorians launching an Invasion after the GR once and yes the Omega attempted several invasions.I don't recall anyone had successive invasions and multiple invasions at a time against the OS then though.
There was an instance of three simultaneous invasions both IC and OOC. There's several announcements in regards to that. Omega Protectorate Invasion of Coruscant, Galactic Republic Invasion of Alderaan (Second), and Mandalorian invasion of Empress Teta.

[member="Zalaam Na"]

No its objective. I can go see if that Rebels episode is online to link you. Or hey, you could go rewatch the movies where zero hacking happened.

He shouldn't need to be counter hacked when he can't even hack correctly. Again. ., . . HE TRIED HACKING MANNED GUNS! What? Can he hack the human brain too? Do not pull that crap here please, he has been incapable of adequately performing the task he wrote about. To simply say everyone else has no point for not counter hacking, I guess that's why at Ord Mirit he got put in his place when it came up again. There's a difference to doing something and not being addressed and doing something so unrealistic and unfair that it shouldn't have to be. Ord Mirit proved it to be the latter.

[member="Braith Achlys"]

The Omega's invasion was delayed but you're right it was planned ooc at the same time as the other two. The GR/Mando invasion was the one I mentioned in my last post so I was aware of it, but you are right I forgot that the Omega attempted to start an invasion at the same time as well.

Dallen Thayne said:
[member="Zalaam Na"]

No its objective. I can go see if that Rebels episode is online to link you. Or hey, you could go rewatch the movies where zero hacking happened.

He shouldn't need to be counter hacked when he can't even hack correctly. Again. ., . . HE TRIED HACKING MANNED GUNS! What? Can he hack the human brain too? Do not pull that crap here please, he has been incapable of adequately performing the task he wrote about. To simply say everyone else has no point for not counter hacking, I guess that's why at Ord Mirit he got put in his place when it came up again. There's a difference to doing something and not being addressed and doing something so unrealistic and unfair that it shouldn't have to be. Ord Mirit proved it to be the latter.
I'm not pulling any crap. I'm only providing a counter-point to the super-hacker argument. Again, whether it was written well or not is your subjective opinion and unless you have a degree from MIT I'm going to assume another writer on a Star Wars board is just as informed as the next one about writing prose about hacking.

It's just a game at the end of the day. No need to be so flustered by this.

[member="Dallen Thayne"]

you don't really need a degree to be good at computers.

that being said

are we really arguing something that happened a year ago now....

giphy.gif

it is over, done, move on and never bring it up if you are going to get upset about it.

I'm going back to waiting on posts now and something important like waiting for [member="Suravi Teigra"] [member="Lady Kay"] to post finally for our dev threads

Zalaam Na said:
I was there too and seem to remember the writer was open to someone counter slicing the character in order to stop him. But it appeared the GR had no slicing characters to do this - imagine that, it's a Star Wars game set in the future with no computer hackers?

Or possibly they started the attempt late - my memory is a little fuzzy.

Or maybe glowy sticks are just more fun. :)

Also a slicer in an invasion eliminating a target is a super creative way to handle those same old battlefield objectives. The reasonable logical protest could have come in the form of an imaginative way to handle the slicer vs. protesting an OOC capacity.

[member="Dune Rhur"]
I'm just trying to recall here too. You're right that it was creative and I think that deserves kudos, but it's how he did it. I remember that was part of the issue OOC. He said he was willing to be stopped but then he had multiple layers of defenses plus his argument of being more technically apt. He said, more or less, you can't stop me unless you get through my layers of defense. He stacked those so deep that it became well-nigh impossible short of a bombing run from a squadron of TIEs. Again, maybe I'm wrong, but that feels like power gaming, ya know?

During Contruum and Balmorra the GR staff called numerous members who accepted losses from their opponents Traitors among other names, and told people just not to take hits and push for draws.

But only the OS powergame. And they do it as an entire faction. All of them. Every. Single. One.

I know it may seem like I'm defending all of them, and I'm not. Not entirely. Some folks are like that, some aren't in every faction. Labeling an entire faction and pushing for this, "ALL OS IS EVIL" has been a constant in the GR, and it has won the faction exactly 1 invasion against them. Almost 18 months ago. Because OS made mistakes.

Yall want the other Factions to step up and help the GR, they can't. The SSC is too far away and would have to fight through the GR to get to the OS. Same with Mandos. I tried taking alderaan so that the Mandos could work their way to fighting OS, but that didn't happen. :( But, that is they way that goes, win some lose some.

And the GA has a large percentage of OS or former OS writers, so they can't because you hate them and call them powergamers, Godmodders, and think they are terrible people.

And the more I think about coming back and helping, and I'd really like to be able to, the more I am convinced that it would be a waste of my time, as I'd have to be cleansed of my evil from having written with OS and beg for atonement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom