Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introspective thoughts on relocation

Yoru Shakou

I believe one of the main reasons more recently as to why I've been on and off of here and on numerous other sites; as well as finding myself worrying over things in general is due to my current situation. I've reached a point where I'm 24; just about a month away from 25, with no job. Now with my parents having purchased a second home; this one located in Las Vegas, Nevada; I'm reaching a point in which a difficult decision has to be made.

My internal struggle is one of location; should I stay in my hometown in Chino, CA? Or should I relocated to my parents new home in Vegas and begin looking for a job there? I'm currently typing this up, sitting in my room at the Vegas house and honestly I'm beginning to lean more towards it. The only thing that is really holding me back from making a decision which should be easy; though it is not, is due to my ties to my home.

I have friends that I would be leaving behind. I have places and people that I would miss. Most importantly there is one person in particular that I would miss even more; being a state away from her. The decision though is one that could potentially in the long run be for the best interest. My situation as it is now prevents me from doing much and really its the Job and money that I need. Hell, even more so its the potential experience that I could gain; I just don't know why my mind is making this decision as difficult as it has come out to be.

This is a possible future, or rather it can open up a better future for me and the one person in this world that I care about more than myself or anything else that could come to me. I guess at this moment I'm looking for some help, maybe a bit of insight from others whom have had a similar situation as I find myself in at this moment. Not knowledge on what is right or wrong to do. Wisdom is what I need at this moment, along with a bit of a helping hand and push in the right direction.

When I left the Navy, after four years of being away from my friends and my home, I went back. I even had a similar situation with the "one special person" being there as well.

It wasn't worth it, and I left. All I was experiencing was nostalgia of times long past, and it seemed like my hometown had entered a period of stagnation. My friends were still doing what they had been doing when I left, and it left me again wondering if the grass was greener on the other side.

Your choices are your choices, but you're only young once. Live those years for yourself, not someone else.

I'm 26, btw, and pretty happy now.

I'm only 18, and I had to make a similar choice a few years back when looking at college prospects. I'd never lived away from my mum before, she was all I had until the age of 14, but I also knew that the colleges around my town were nothing compared to those where my Dad is. I had already tried a college near my mums and it did not work out for the best, so after a gap year and doing some volunteer work I made the biggest leap I've had to take and I moved in with my Dad. While only 30 minutes drive away, for someone who doesn't drive - and has little interest in learning - it's a huge change. I only see the other half of my family when convenient, etc. But at the same time I'm glad I did as I did. I've been much happier since moving away, home tensions etc owing to that, so in many ways it would differ from both of your situations, but also the prospects raised by the college I'm attending, the way they are with the students etc, is much more beneficial. And last year, I was extremely grateful for having made the move and changing up my life dramatically;

You never know what the future will hold. Had I not moved in with my Dad and been living at my Mum's last year for college? I don't know how I'd have coped, owing to the fact that we barely spoke following a lot of domestic issues - and they were only when I was there at the weekend.

At the end of the day the option to return will always be there, if you feel you've made a mistake; you can always visit old friends, relatives you've left behind, etc, but making a decision that will change your life for the better? Change your future prospects? Such a thing rarely comes about. Follow your heart and mind in equal measures.

We live in a wonderful age of technology and information. The people you say you’re leaving behind are just a text or phone call away. Just sometimes you need to relocate to get you job perspectives rolling.

I'll chime in with the opposite end of the spectrum on this. At 19 I left my hometown and moved a state away. I'm 28 now, still in the state I moved to. Its been hard. I miss the way my life used to be, what it was. With technology I keep up with my friends and family but it isnt the same at all. Better than nothing though, I will admit. Although moving away gave me opportunities I wouldn't have had back home, my thoughts often think of heading back. Especially after I finish up graduate school. I'm unhappy at my current location, why would I continue to stay once my education is complete? Jobs are plentiful in my former homestate and the pay is higher.

You mention moving away from a girl. Is it serious? Do you think moving to Vegas would net you a job that pays decently? If it is serious, I could certainly understand my significant other trying to better the future for himself and for the rest of our lives together.

You can always give it a go, decide how you feel about it and go from there. You dont want to be 50+ and thinking "what if I had only moved to Vegas?"

Yoru Shakou

Delila Castillon said:
You mention moving away from a girl. Is it serious? Do you think moving to Vegas would net you a job that pays decently? If it is serious, I could certainly understand my significant other trying to better the future for himself and for the rest of our lives together.
We've been together since August 2009; coming up on 5 years this summer. Sadly I do not get to see her that often, mainly because of the duo of me lacking a job; coupled with her mother's dislike for me. I am hoping that moving to Vegas and securing a job (as I do not need to worry about a car or housing) would be the best move. It would give me experience and money to create a better future.

Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me to help me through a difficult decision. At this moment I've made what I believe is the right one, which means that I will; once I return home after this trip, will be gathering a few additional dress clothes and personal affects and moving out to Vegas. I believe that at this moment it is the best decision to make.

From my own personal experience, moved away from the place I was born and raised at the age of 26... and have never looked back. Do I miss some of the people? A couple... but those few that I do, we make efforts to hang out. I did meet some incredible new people that I would have never met had I stayed with what I was familiar with.

I now have a job, a house, and what I think to be a pretty awesome life, and have no regrets about leaving the city I was born and raised in. But that's just me. If it's ONLY friends that are holding you back... you will make new ones, and keep the ones that really matter; trust me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom