Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing...Flashpoints!

I do feel like this would have been better served for dominions per the old direction of Flashpoints.

Because, yeah, invasions are already stressful and have large potential to be a salt-bombs? This... isn't gonna make that better. Whereas dominions could use some variety and excitement.

Though there would need to be way more modifiers, positive as well as negative ones to have any real effect on it.

That's just my two cents though.

Nyx

Insert Hilarious Title Here
This is possibly the greatest thing to happen to invasions in the three years I’ve been writing here. Random elements are excellent. Love it, love it, love it!

I've been apart of too many communities that tried to introduce dice rolling. I've been apart of too many communities that tried something like this and witnessed it killed them.

Like, everything I'm about to say is purely my opinion but it just seems like the staff team are trying to control invasions too much with this. Not every staff member is a member of a major faction, not every staff member knows how every major faction operates and so giving them such a large involvement with a major faction where they can forcefully take hexes away that a major faction has earned through pure dedication is just wrong. I can understand losing one hex in an invasion, that comes from a story but losing two other hexes?

This is gonna be the death of some major factions, especially brand new major factions.

I can't get behind this. It's rare chaos does something I don't like but yeah, I don't like this.

I have to agree with some sentiment I've seen on the thread already and say that this honestly seems like something that would be much better served as something for Dominions rather than Invasions. Invasions are already highly stressful and adding mechanics (albeit random, but mechanics all the same) which can massively benefit an offensive party while offering pretty much no defensive bonus seems unfair, to say the least.

I definitely agree with [member="Itash Mecetti"] in thinking this would be way, way better for dominions to make them interesting, the stakes and possible stress is much lower there, and it's much less likely to cause as much drama as it's bound to.

Allana Mazhar

A
Valiens Nantaris said:
If a 1 is rolled, the Rebellion is immediately crushed and the Flashpoint is to be treated as a successful Dominion.
I love everything except this one. It's inconsistent with the rest of the possibilities. Everything changes some rule in order to alter the dynamic of the Faction v. Faction thread, usually upping the stakes, but this one just eliminates the thread entirely. While powering through odd or difficult restrictions could easily make for some fun IC scenarios and bolster a Faction together, I can easily see a minor faction getting frustrated in "Oh, that rebellion we planned just doesn't happen?".

I've noticed over the years that Staff usually doesn't like blanket points of criticism without suggestions to fix them, so here are some potential alternatives.

• If a 1 is rolled than the Rebellion occurs too quickly for reinforcements to be called. Only characters who participated in the initial dominion can defend in the Rebellion
  • If a 1 is rolled than the Victor of the Rebellion may add a free restricted material to their earned SSD/Dreadnought without submitting an additional dev thread.
  • If a 1 is rolled a Netherworld Fluctuation occurs, and neither side can use the Force for the duration of the Rebellion.

Stephanie Swail said:
Staff roll a dice we will never see to determine how something changes
To clarify, no, this will not be done secretly. It is done via the discord server, in the #dice_rolls channel.

Flashpoints are a 10% chance to happen, further added by a 25% chance for double stakes invasion.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
this could be different and interesting. Don't know if a drag or fun time yet. Still work went into it and some thought so why not see what happens. I mean it could go the way or the original rebellion rules. Where no one used them and they went away then came back reworked with new ideas

[member="Aryn Teth"] & [member="Itash Mecetti"] said everything I could really say on this; Dominions could definitely benefit from these rules more, and I'm not really a fan of how the modifiers don't seem to offer much in the way of helping defenders of invasions who already have to deal with the invasion in the first place -- To be perfectly honest it would be entirely demoralizing to defend on a Flashpoint despite what modifier is rolled. Though to be fair, the chances of a Flashpoint occurring are low enough to where there's a definite chance we might not see one for months. So I'm open to seeing what happens when and if it occurs, but at the moment I do think they need tweaking; how much tweaking is up in the air right now, in my opinion.

Personally, I see these modifiers acting as a foil to the various mandates that are already influencing our Invasions. While, yes, they do have a small chance of happening now and again, it definitely adds a fresh, and exciting mechanic to the fold.

For example, a Faction that has the Defensive Stronghold mandate can have unlimited allies, against the attacking major faction - who only has the five friendly accounts it can bring with them. You could literally have over 3/4 (More or less, and Faction depending) of this site's population arrayed against the attacking Faction, and as it stands - there's nothing that can be done about it. If the attacking faction manages to win against such a stacked deck, they get One hex on the map and have to do it all over again. Yes, there are inherent weaknesses with having so many warm bodies to throw at the opposition, but there's little reward for those that manage to triumph over such unbelievable odds.

Having the chance to nab Two extra hexes, when pitted against so many people? Makes that whole stressful ordeal feel like it was worth the hair-pulling, at least from the attacker's perspective. Heck, if that's too much for some folks - why not alter it so only One extra hex is gained, instead of the two?

- - -​

With that being said, I do echo some points that were brought up previously and would like to see some modifiers tossed at the Dominions as well; adding some extra flavour, rules-wise, onto what each and every Major Faction's already able to come up with. I can't think of any right now, but perhaps something that's in line with the Rebellion and Invasion modifiers would do.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Valiens Nantaris said:
The following rules are being implemented on a trial basis. We will carefully monitor the impacts and effects of this ruleset and make edits as required.
Sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom