Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Intrepid Class - Solar energy cannon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenous

R
d82ceea93da0c3761961f7f8a8e973c040660490v2_00.jpg

OOC Information
  • Intent: To create a weapon Intrepid Inc may use in battle as well as sell to any buyer willing to pay
  • Image Credit: Right here fam
  • Cannon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: N/A
Production Information
  • Manufacturer: Intrepid Inc
  • Affiliation: Intrepid Inc
  • Model: Intrepid Class - Solar energy cannon
  • Modularity: Yes, the type of magnifying lens can be swapped out for ones with greater or lesser intensity
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material: Beskar Alloy to help the cannon better conduct heat
Technical Specifications
  • Classification: Solar amplifier
  • Size: Extremely Large
  • Weight: Extremely Heavy
  • Ammunition: Amplified solar rays
  • Ammunition Capacity: Extremely Large
  • Effective range: Battlefield
  • Rate of fire: Very low
  • Stopping power: Extreme
  • Recoil: None
Special Features
  • The Intrepid class- Solar energy cannon uses an array of high powered magnifying lenses to amplify the heat from the sun turning it into a weapon with great destructive potential. While the destructive potential is extremely high the cannon cannot simply destroy targets in one sitting rather it relies on the intense fire that follows it around to destroy targets. (I.E it cannot blow up an entire base in a single shot but the fire that follows can finish it off) Granted to keep the intensity of the fire at maximum the cannon must cool down before firing once more to keep the flame going.
Strengths
  • Highly destructive: The cannon is very destructive
  • Unrelenting: The cannon can fire for long periods of time before the lenses risk being destroyed by the heat
  • Nowhere to run: Trying to find a place where the sun doesn't touch is hard and the range on the cannon makes it even harder to escape its wrath, sturdy hard to reach shelter is the best defense against the cannon
  • Range: The extreme amount of energy being concentrated gives the cannon a large distance and radius of fire
  • Eco-friendly: It's good for the environment! (until its the thing getting burned down)
Weaknesses
  • Slow: The cannon is cumbersome and difficult to move
  • Mirrors: Any mirror or object powerful enough to reflect the cannon's energy suddenly becomes a dangerous adversary
  • Bad weather: If the sun isn't out the weapon is pretty useless
  • The lens flare from the cannon makes it impossible to hide
  • Progressive destruction: The cannon is powerful but requires a lot of time to finally wear down a target
  • Delicate: If the lenses inside the cannon are not aligned properly the cannon can destroy itself.
Description
  • The Intrepid class - Solar energy cannon is for use in situations where an enemy fortification is shielded or heavy fortified and cannot be destroyed without a massive loss of life. The cannon is capable of both hammering down on an installation or setting an area ablaze inflicting damage over time. The cannon itself is vulnerable and must be guarded if it is to survive long. One of its greatest advantages is that its high concentration of heat allows it to destroy targets a massive distance away. One of the cannon's greatest drawbacks, however, is that its power is progressive and actually takes time to wither down a target until it is eventually destroyed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravenous

First of all, thank you for taking the time to use the factory. I will be reviewing your submission alongside Ravenfire Ravenfire .

I will be straightforward here; this appears to be an attempt to make Starkiller Base which in itself would be against the rules, namely superweapons. If this is not your intent behind this weapon, please elaborate as to how this does not meet the classification of a superweapon. As it stands right now, I cannot approve this submission.

Please tag myself and Ravenfire Ravenfire with any clarifications or edits made to this submission.

Ravenous

R
I've explained further in the submission how this does not meet the criteria of a superweapon but to summarize...
  • The cannon's destructive power is progressive (I.E it can destroy a base but not as soon as it hits rather it takes time to wither down the base and mostly uses the fire that ensues to finish the job
  • The scale of the cannon simply isn't big enough to inflict the damage of a superweapon
  • The cannon uses power from the sun not the power of the sun, its only using a fraction of its power, unlike Starkiller which uses all of it
Jorik Valnora Jorik Valnora Ravenfire Ravenfire

Ravenous

With the way this sub is currently worded, though it may not be your intention, it still reads as though it is a Superweapon.

The Intrepid class- Solar energy cannon uses an array of high powered magnifying lenses to amplify the heat from the sun and turn it into a highly destructive ray of solar energy capable of setting anything it touches on fire or when at max power nearly vaporizing targets. While the destructive potential is extremely high the cannon cannot simply destroy targets just based on its own power rather it relies on the intense fire that follows it around to destroy targets. (I.E it cannot blow up an entire base in a single shot but the fire that follows can finish it off)
The way this is written, even with your bit saying it "cannot blow up an entire base in a single shot", the but that follows still indicates the base/target will be destroyed by the effects of that single shot.

• Highly destructive: Once the ray is at full power almost nothing can withstand its fury
  • Unrelenting: The cannon doesn't need to reload and the material its made of practically stops it from burning out, so the ray can wear down fortresses, shields, forests, pretty much anything that gets in its path
The way things are worded here, it suggests that it is basically impossible to impede and never has any down time to reload/recharge it's highly devastating effect. A ray that never stops and cannot be impeded

Nowhere to run: It's hard to stop the cannon from getting sunlight and it's even harder to find a place the sun or the cannon can't touch. I.E A cave is safe from the sun but the cannon can simply shoot the cave and bring it crashing down
With this, you have stated it is impossible to escape the destructive potential of this weapon.

The cannon is capable of both hammering down on an installation or setting an area ablaze in a matter of seconds.
Seconds may not technically classify as instantaneous, however, the verbiage here doesn't exactly reflect how you are trying to classify this.

The biggest issue here is that with its current verbiage, this very well reads as a superweapon, even if that is not the intent. I'd suggest here that the wording across this entire sub is tuned down. If this cannot be done without completely altering what your desired result is for this sub, I am going to be forced to deny this and you will have to submit for a second chance.

Ravenfire Ravenfire

Ravenous

The wording of this is greatly improved now as to reflect that this is not a superweapon! And it's a cool concept at that too! The biggest enemy for a lot of people trying to make big, scary, and powerful weapons is the verbiage they use in describing it.

Looking at you ratings now, I have just a couple things I'd like to point out. Nothing too big, but needs to be pointed out for sure.

• Classification: Solar amplifier
  • Size: Extremely Large
  • Weight: Extremely Heavy
  • Ammunition: Amplified solar rays
  • Ammunition Capacity: N/A It works until the lenses inside the cannon become too heated and risk being broken
  • Effective range: Battlefield
  • Rate of fire: Very low
  • Stopping power: Very High
  • Recoil: N/A the weapon's lenses can be overheated though
For the 2 parts I have highlighted, please be sure you're using the ratings listed in the template. When I run the numbers using Extreme for Ammunition Capacity and None for Reoil, you actually come up with 1 point still left over that you can throw somewhere. I chose Extreme for ammunition capacity because in my interpretation of this, that is the closest I could get to the way this weapon would theoretically operate. And I chose None for recoil, because that effectively the same thing you have here, just without the rating listed.
Production: Semi-Unique (+3)
Size:
Extremely Large (+3)
Weight: Extremely Heavy (+3)
Ammunition Capacity:
Extremely Large (-3)
Effective Range:
Battlefield (-2)
Rate of Fire:
Very Low (+2)
Stopping Power:
Very High (-2)
Recoil:
None (-3)
---------------
Total: +1 (goal is "0" and this puts you with one point left to spare)

Please tag myself and Ravenfire Ravenfire with any edits made to this submission, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom