Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

[Interest Check] Galactic Empire

Tanomas Graf

T
Do you guys ever just want a Galactic Empire again?

The Empire that was shown in the movies; With massive Star Destroyers, gargantuan AT-ATs, and millions of stormtroopers.

The Empire that didn't have force sensitives EVERYWHERE trying to power-play the entire system so much it makes Game of Thrones jealous, where you open your cupboard and a force-sensitive evil character trying to be Darth Whatshisface Executor-DarkLord-Emperor of Tea-town is crouching there, plotting in his blog post.

No, instead we have soldiers, admirals, and officers + bureaucrats.

Valessia Brentioch

V
Empire, you say?

tumblr_mejs78FQ5X1ql2gms.gif

[member="Darth Vornskr"] [member="Tanomas Graf"] [member="Valessia Brentioch"] [member="Krayzen Dratos"]

*Has been reading through RPs, Factions, and Characters*

*Finds the One Sith*

Eh, I'm a GA Jedi-to-be, but hey! A good ol' fashion gung-ho military sounds more fun than MOAR DURTH EDGE!

[member="Sezathi"]

Every Faction has a Military, every Faction has Force Users. What [member="Darth Vornskr"] is saying without saying it is the fact that creating "Galactic Empire" again will be the 4th one in as many months.

With a side of what plan do you have to make it succeed when the rest failed.

Don't worry he did the same when Vaildra pitched the Sith Empire idea.

Tanomas Graf

T
Vengeance said:
[member="Sezathi"]

Every Faction has a Military, every Faction has Force Users. What [member="Darth Vornskr"] is saying without saying it is the fact that creating "Galactic Empire" again will be the 4th one in as many months.

With a side of what plan do you have to make it succeed when the rest failed.

Don't worry he did the same when Vaildra pitched the Sith Empire idea.
The rest failed because they expected the faction to jump star immediately, mostly sith flooded in to try to be the new DV, and the same old people were recruited even though some of them actually caused the Remnant to collapse.

The only issue I see is...
The First Order
The One Sith
The Sith Triumvirate
These are all essentially the Galactic Empire just with different spins.

It's a novel idea and yes will get some steamroll around the time of Rogue One but essentially it has too many similar factions to compete with for members.

In honest opinion...your part of the First Order...try and get the idea through that maybe a shift towards the galactic empire would be a case for them? While I was FO over there it was an idea, I just didn't have the time or will to implement.
[member="Tanomas Graf"]

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Lets see if this is all of them.

Imperial Remnant - Merged with the Sith Empire prior to my joining the board.
Galactic Imperium - Started strong, then irl complications meant FO had to step down, faction disbanded.
Atrisian Empire - Had a solid core of members, misjudged the climate of the time and suffered as a result. Limited appeal to the vast majority of writers.
Fel Empire - Sort fits the bill, but was defeated ICly by the GR (start of the GR Golden Age of Expansion).
Empire of the Hand - So much promise but never even got off the ground. IRL commitments and all.
Imperial Remnant (Mark 2) - Less than stellar starting position (bum rushed by both the OS and GR) followed by some weird shit internally. Sub faction of the GR now, I think?
The Imperium - ???
The First Order - Still around and kicking, which is promising.

Not to mention the dozens of would be 'Empires' that don't even get a functioning faction forum put together before they disappear.

So there's definitely grounds for people to be skeptical. This is all part of a larger issue though, of which FU vs. NFU is only part of the equation. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is assuming it even makes sense for Palpatine's Empire to suddenly be reborn. That doesn't mean there isn't room for 'Imperial' faction, but it can't be simply another carbon copy of the New Order. Account for force users, account for the fact that even in the GR the senators and soldiers and spies are the MINORITY of the characters. Acknowledge the fact that the aspects of the Empire that most people like/think are cool (aka Stormtroopers, jackboots, snazzy uniforms, and Star Destroyers) literally EVERY Sith Empire has, with the added benefit of having... Sith.

That's what you're up against. I've got some ideas, but I've neither the time nor the inclination to try and start a major faction, and anyway the One Sith have pretty ships. I mean good luck and all, but I think [member="Kira Vaal"] has the right of it, at least for now (or unless you've got something really clever cooked up).

Tanomas Graf

T
Cyrus Tregessar said:
Lets see if this is all of them.

Imperial Remnant - Merged with the Sith Empire prior to my joining the board.
Galactic Imperium - Started strong, then irl complications meant FO had to step down, faction disbanded.
Atrisian Empire - Had a solid core of members, misjudged the climate of the time and suffered as a result. Limited appeal to the vast majority of writers.
Fel Empire - Sort fits the bill, but was defeated ICly by the GR (start of the GR Golden Age of Expansion).
Empire of the Hand - So much promise but never even got off the ground. IRL commitments and all.
Imperial Remnant (Mark 2) - Less than stellar starting position (bum rushed by both the OS and GR) followed by some weird poodoo internally. Sub faction of the GR now, I think?
The Imperium - ???
The First Order - Still around and kicking, which is promising.

Not to mention the dozens of would be 'Empires' that don't even get a functioning faction forum put together before they disappear.

So there's definitely grounds for people to be skeptical. This is all part of a larger issue though, of which FU vs. NFU is only part of the equation. I think one of the biggest mistakes people make is assuming it even makes sense for Palpatine's Empire to suddenly be reborn. That doesn't mean there isn't room for 'Imperial' faction, but it can't be simply another carbon copy of the New Order. Account for force users, account for the fact that even in the GR the senators and soldiers and spies are the MINORITY of the characters. Acknowledge the fact that the aspects of the Empire that most people like/think are cool (aka Stormtroopers, jackboots, snazzy uniforms, and Star Destroyers) literally EVERY Sith Empire has, with the added benefit of having... Sith.

That's what you're up against. I've got some ideas, but I've neither the time nor the inclination to try and start a major faction, and anyway the One Sith have pretty ships. I mean good luck and all, but I think [member="Kira Vaal"] has the right of it, at least for now (or unless you've got something really clever cooked up).
FYI, The 2nd Imperial Remnant was messed with by the FAs, everyone got kicked, as for the Imperium it's inactive as hell.

I see your points, but I just really wish everything wasn't based around Force-sensitives sometimes, it makes us who aren't feel small and insignificant next to the power of the Force!. But I suppose that's what the Mandalorians are for.

[member="Tanomas Graf"]
In the defence of the First Order, when we started there was two FU's within the entire faction. It was definitely pushed forward by NFUs.
I'm not sure how it runs now, haven't really looked into it too much, but the Knight's of Ren really had no say in anything the actual faction did, in fact they were more a shadowy background story to the whole faction that was very stormtrooper centric.

I understand what you are saying in terms of wanting a faction that isn't so Force dominated, but it is what it is these days. To get numbers you need to play the 'we will accept your force using pilot super commando exiled Queen.'

Now if you could go with the angle of here is the faction...we rely on soldiers and only have the Force Users as part of a small group which garners interest then you are in on something. For example (forbid me using the FO again, I did make the faction...) The First Order are led by the Supreme Leader, he is an NPC force user akin to the Emperor, he has his Knights of Ren who literally are a handful of individuals who are dispatched to do his will. They sometimes accompany the actual First Order military sometimes don't but in the grand scheme of things they are barely the do all and end all of the faction, it is just that most PLAYERS want to play a FU so they jump into the Knights, which suddenly despite the initial design makes them seem more important then they are. It happens with every faction. Basically the factions are what you make of them.

Be a part of the GR and basically run the idea that the Jedi are slowly dying off in a galaxy full of dark side power, or say that every soldier is a Jedi. Completely your choice.

[member="Tanomas Graf"][member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Tanomas Graf"]

I absolutely agree, but you can't make a faction on this board (given both IC and OOC reasoning) without integrating Force Users to some degree. I've seen the old 'well we just won't make any establishment for them' tried and it's failed just as well.

An idea I've played with before is to make a 'special' class/subfaction/whatever that has three ranks, just like force users, and consists of both NFU's and FU's. Essentially your top tier agents who get shit done, whether that method is via force powers, high technology, subterfuge, or whatever. In the unlikely event I ever try and start a major faction, that's the approach I would go with.

Tanomas Graf said:
FYI, The 2nd Imperial Remnant was messed with by the FAs, everyone got kicked, as for the Imperium it's inactive as hell.

I see your points, but I just really wish everything wasn't based around Force-sensitives sometimes, it makes us who aren't feel small and insignificant next to the power of the Force!. But I suppose that's what the Mandalorians are for.
Actually it died long before that. It was initially created and had only 2 FUs in the entire faction, I wrote one of them. The underlying issue was trying to sprint to Major status a faction that had no clear goals or structure outside of a "Imperial Faction."

It went from no FUs allowed at all, to ok FUs allowed but only if they are Neutral/gray, to hey look that hardcore Sith wants to join and we need FUs so come on over.

Then the endless philosophical debates, debates on what is cannon, and what is not cannon. Mind you this all occurred before Disney acquired Star Wars. Sure there was a small measure of success before it got plowed over by the big boys.

I guess in the end if you really want to try and make a successful faction then I wish you the best of luck. However I would greatly suggest I little more research into what has been tried before and why it did or did not succeed and have a clear plan before you pull the trigger so to speak.

The Imperium is quiet, but it's not dead. At least not as far as [member="Joran Greth"] and I are concerned. It too started with a no FU stance and that gradually unraveled so now it is our little pet project but considering he just got elected as the FO of the Republic on his main, and I am busy with other projects, the Imperium remains our little side project until we decide what to do with it.

Ideally, we would focus more on an organization akin to the GE in later years of the Empire where there was an Inquisitorius, and a strong Moff-ship. When and if our schedules and the stars align, we might try to breathe some new life in the Imperium. For now, we jump into a rebellion here and there if it suits us.

[member="Tanomas Graf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom