Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Induction Point

TtL6wZs.png

Tag: Amani Serys Amani Serys
opPPEbL.png

Jayce Rotsu paced nervously within the Room of a Thousand Fountains.

He was hardly the only occupant of the massive, seven-story chamber; but in his decade of living at the Jedi Temple, it was the place he found to be the most soothing in times of uncertainty. The only difference was, this time, he was there by command. The Council had finally found him a teacher—a Master that would serve as more than a fleeting instructor. One who could at last complete his Jedi training.

Jayce struggled to remember his breathing exercises. As a Youngling at the Temple, he had been taught to calm the tides of his mind by drinking deeply from the Force and then breathing his worries out. Needless to say, he was no expert at the activity and only managed to pass those classes by the skin of his hide.

As he paced, Jayce practiced what he was going to say. "I'm Jayce — Jayce Rotsu," he mumbled; but, realizing he sounded pathetic, straightened his back and tried again with more confidence. "I am Jayce Rotsu. Padawan learner."

The Padawan who was too old.

Immediately, his confidence collapsed at the recollection of what the other Padawans called him. Most ranked out of Youngling by age fifteen and found a Master around the same time. Jayce, ever the late-bloomer, was three name days beyond that; and he sometimes worried that meant he was defective.

What would happen if he was too old? His disappointment of his clan back on Haruun Kal ten years ago was why he was on Coruscant today. If he failed here...

"What am I doing?" he grumbled to himself. "I'm not cut out for this."

Since attaining knighthood, Amani had gradually grown to become comfortable in her role as a teacher and mentor. Enjoyed it, even; Finding a sense of accomplishment in cultivating the next generation of Jedi.

Still- There was something about taking an actual apprentice under her wing that made her a little nervous. To be dedicated to and responsible for the growth of a singular student was no simple task.

Amani was not well-acquainted with Jayce, but he had been with the Order for some time, it seemed. Until now, he'd yet to have a primary master. She could sympathize with that. And if she could give a student a chance that she never got, then that alone was worth giving it a shot.

Quietly, the Chief Healer stepped into the chamber, searching for the face that matched the file, "Jayce Rotsu?" She asked, approaching the boy from behind, "Amani Serys-Organa," She dipped in a slight bow, "It seems I'm your new master."

Jayce snapped to attention as a new voice invaded his anxious pacing.

Amani Serys-Organa had snuck up on him in the haze of the moment. She was a Mirialan Jedi with flawless green skin, only a few years older than Jayce; and yet her maturity made the gap between them feel more like a chasm. He had hoped to see her coming. To have some speech prepared. Needless to say, he accomplished neither goal.

"Master Organa," he said, blanching. "Or is it Master Serys?" He shook his head, squeezing his eyes tightly shut. "I am Jayce—Jayce Rotsu. I— Thank you for taking me on as your Padawan learner."

Fresh embarrassment brought a deep blush to his face. He had only known Amani for two seconds and he was already messing everything up.

He scratched the back of his neck with a gloved hand. Then, slowly but steadily, he rallied. "I was beginning to think no one would take me on. But I can assure you I will be a dedicated pupil. I want to be a Jedi."

Whatever that meant.

Amani offered the padawan a disarming smile, "I answer to either," She chuckled. Jayce's nerves were on full display as he introduced himself, fumbling over his words. The healer dipped her head, acknowledging his thanks but waiting a moment before speaking, to give him a chance to recompose himself.

"It's alright. Believe me. I understand the feeling more than you know," It was disheartening to spend so long without being chosen by a master. It was, to some extent, why taking Jayce on had piqued her interest. But for now she left the details unsaid, turning around and gesturing for him to follow, "I hope we can come to understand each other well. Any good apprenticeship is built on mutual trust, respect, and camraderie, right?" She smiled again, both teasing and assuring him that the question was rhetorical.

The next one, however, was genuine, "How long have you been a Jedi, Jayce?" Sure, Amani could just read his file. But that was never the same as hearing the story from the one who lived it.

Jayce was grateful Amani seemed to be the kind and understanding type.

Not all Jedi were. Some of the Padawans he knew had Masters who functioned more like drill sergeants; and, while he could not be sure what kind of teacher Amani would turn out to be, he was at least certain she wasn't like that.

He followed her dutifully, careful to keep pace with her. They were not the only Jedi in the Room of a Thousand Fountains and it would be easy for him to get separated from her if he wasn't attentive. "About ten years now?" Jayce said, more a question than a straight answer. "I was taken in on my eighth name day. I was a Youngling until I was fifteen—like most of the others. And I've been like this" Masterless, without a real direction "ever since."

"Since then," he continued, because anxiety often had the effect of making him overshare, "I've been taught by a couple of the temple instructors. But nothing beyond the basics. Mostly, I just assigned patrol duty in the Coruscant under levels."

He had literally just gotten back from one such assignment the night prior. He offered her a self-deprecating smile. "Maybe the Council just really wants me to train for Sentinel."

Amani listened intently while they walked, passing through the temple's great corridors to some unannounced destination. His story was familiar to her, more than he knew. She glanced back at Jayce, and offered him an almost-playful smile, "Maybe," She wondered if he was aware she was on said Council.

"I also joined the Jedi when I was eight. A different order, and not on the actual day I turned eight, granted, but there you go,"
A simple connection, leading to one more resonant, "I never had a master of my own. Not one that lasted, anyway. Mentors and teachers sure, but I missed out on everything a true apprenticeship had to offer." Yet here she was, a knight, a council member, and the Chief Healer.

"I hope that by working together, I can give you that which I never quite had," Amani then stopped and spun around, now stood in front of a sliding door, "So, if you're willing to put in the effort, then I'm more than willing to teach you."

The door slid open, revealing a spartan room, decorated only in weathered banners displaying the Jedi symbol, and a padded mat in the center, "Please step inside, for me."

Jayce did as Amani requested of him, stepping in to the sparing room, a sight he was well-familiar with by now. The instructors at the temple had taught him to wield his lightsaber in rooms like this. Yet, now, with someone to really teach him, stepping inside felt somehow new and refreshing.

He lingered only momentarily on the other things Amani had said. 'A different Order'? Were they not the only Jedi Order in the galaxy? The Jedi had certainly undergone metamorphosis over the millennia, and sure, there were sects and splinters... But they were the Jedi Order, right?

Jayce decided his question was one that could wait for later. When Amani was ready, when they knew one another better. She seemed to have much in common with him. Their age at beginning their training, their conflicted feelings over their Masterless apprenticeships. But Amani had made herself into a great Jedi, despite the challenges she had faced. He was honored to learn from her.

Once inside, he turned and faced Amani hopefully. "I am, of course, willing to do whatever it takes, Master Organa."

I will be a Jedi.

Amani stepped in behind Jayce, letting the door close and cutting off nearly all external stimuli. The air in the room was still, almost unnaturally so. She breathed in deeply, before giving her padawan an understanding nod, "I'm glad to hear it."

The mirialan meandered towards the near wall, grazing her fingers against an ornate lightsaber hilt mounted on the surface, "Let's start simple then, hm? Tell me, what is it you hope to learn as a padawan? What interests you? What kind of Jedi would you like to be?" She smirked faintly. Not everyone would describe such life-defining questionS as simple. But it gave them a way to approach the subject of his training, and what sort of balance to strike in his lessons.

Last edited:
Asking Jayce that question was like asking him to pick his favorite planet. There were simply too many options; but he had had years to narrow his choices down.

"During my patrols to the lower levels of Coruscant," he began, "I've seen a lot of beings that have been neglected. Beings left at the mercy of criminals. Beings who call the streets their homes. Beings so drugged they can't tell you if they're on Coruscant or Taris or Nar Shaddaa." He scratched awkwardly at his harm, them thumbed the hilt of his lightsaber for courage. "I want to be the kind of Jedi who is out there helping them."

"It's not that I don't love the temple," he continued, quick to clarify his remarks. "The Archives have more volumes than anyone could read in ten lifetimes. And of course it is very beautiful here. Safe too. But my place has to be out there helping people."

Master Arglos, one of the temple instructors who had taught his classes as a Youngling, had called these sorts of Jedi 'Jedi Sentinels.'

So, Jayce hadn't been wrong about that being his path after all.

Amani posted up against one the support beams, crossing her arms as she listened to Jayce. It seemed his aspirations weren't too far off from his previous comment. The mirialan nodded, "Well, as you continue to grow, expect there to be more missions in your future. And not just patrols in the Undercity."

She pushed off the beam, and meandered the outside edge of the training mat, "Regardless of a Jedi's calling, I think all need to have experience with the greater galaxy to truly understand the importance of their duties. It wasn't until I committed myself to that very idea, that I realized just how much I was missing.," A smile, "But it seems that won't be a problem for you anyway. You already have a sense for these things. It's just a matter of putting that sense to some good use."

"…How much combat training do you have? Any field experience?"
Amani pulled out a datapad, and began tapping away.

"Aside from the Undercity? Not much," Jayce confessed, a slight flush coming up on his cheeks. "As to training, I've gone through the basics. Seven years as a Youngling, plus occasional sparing practice here at the temple in the three years since."

It sounded like so much, but he knew it wasn't. What made a Jedi Knight was their field experience. First-hand, on the ground. Compared to the Jedi who had recently fought on Exegol, or had been fighting the Maw or the Sith all these years, he was a child playing with toys.

That's why he had to get better.

He had to take everything Master Organa taught him seriously. As daunting as it was, Jayce felt thrilled. The thought of finally seeing the galaxy beyond Coruscant and Haruun Kal excited him, even though he knew the burden that would rest on his shoulder once he did would be immense.

"I see," Amani mumbled, before putting the datapad away. She smiled broadly, "Well, I'd like to find out what you can do for myself. If it wasn't already obvious, I'm a bit too pregnant to be getting involved in any sparring matches at the moment," A chuckle, "Thankfully, I just called up a volunteer."

The door to the training dojo opened once more, and a tall, humanoid droid stepped into the room. It had an expressionless face, aside from the flickering adjustments of its photoreceptors, and the NJO symbol emblazoned on its shoulder plate. It stopped opposite Jayce, and offered him a deep, perfectly 45-degree angle bow, "Jayce, this is Kayjay. Maybe you've seen others like him around here before. He'll be your partner for today. Kayjay, this is Jayce Rotsu."

"Greetings, Padawan Rotsu," Kayjay replied, and drew a training saber from his hip. The blue blade ignited, and the droid took a basic Form 1 stance, "Shall we begin?" The droid stayed unnaturally still, waiting for the padawan to make the first move. Amani watched from the sidelines, and gave Jayce and encouraging nod.

Jayce was familiar with droids like Kayjay. He had practically learned to use his lightsaber by sparring with them as a Youngling. Still, all he knew were the fundamentals of Shii-Cho. He doubted he would be showing Master Organa any special bladework today.

"Hello, Kayjay," he said regardless, and bowed. "Ready when you are."

Jayce drew his own weapon, turning the knob on it down to its training settings before activating the blade. It appeared with a snap-hiss, and was a brilliant aqua, more greenish that the other blue lightsabers commonly wielded around the temple.

He struck a pose, but the droid did not move. It was waiting for him to make an attack; and unlike an organic foe, droids could rarely be faked out. So, in the spirit of Form I, Jayce launched his attack, striking out in a sweeping motion aimed at the droid's mechanical knee joints. Shii-Cho was all about sweeping motions to deal maximum damage before recoiling back into a defensive posture for a parry or a riposte.

With that in mind, Jayce's muscles were already tensed, ready to snap back and defend himself when the droid inevitable made its move.

Kayjay was lifelessly rigid, right until Jayce made his strike. The droid sprang into motion like a statue come to life, twisting his saber to deflect the blow. His movements were methodical and minimal— Conserving energy and allowing him to strike back as quick as possible. Kayjay utilized the advantages of his mechanical discipline, but his strategy was basic. Any practiced Shii-Cho student worth their salt would be able to pick up on the bread-and-butter maneuvers he employed. Hoping to overwhelm Jayce, the droid made a series of sweeping strikes to try and prevent a proper riposte.

All the while, Amani's focus was glued on her padawan. Slowly she paced along the edge of the mat, acknowledging the nuances in Jayce's stances and attacks. The potential was there— He seemed to have a grasp on his fundamentals at least. If they could break beyond that, then Jayce might just have a future as a Jedi knight. "Good form. Don't let him break your stance," She commented idly.

Jayce's blade snapped back as he moved to defend himself from the multiple strikes the droid unleashed. It was then that he realized that this droid was not dialed down to the lower levels used to train Younglings. It had more complexities in its movements, and was aiming to overwhelm him. Form I was notoriously bad against singular opponents, yet Jayce kept true to form, taking a step forward to push the droid back.

As he made his step, he ducked under a swinging blow, and swung widely himself at the droid's knee joints. Getting the mechanical bucket of bolts to focus on defending itself rather than overwhelming him was the only way he would create an opening for riposte.

Naturally, though, he was not yet a blade expert, and being so close to the droid spiked his anxieties about getting hit. He tried to remember his breathing exercises, the kind that made it easier to pull on the Force, but he had a shaky grasp at best.

Jayce had managed to hold his own thus far. He kept the flurry of strikes from overpowering him, maintaining a sense of control over his strikes and movements. A good sign, Amani noted, even if the droid was gradually wearing him down. A problem which the padawan sought to counter by using an opening to attack. It staggered Kayjay's assault, forcing the droid to create distance and block the swing. He was quick, processing the information faster than an organic mind typically could. It kept him effective in sparring with Jedi-level reflexes. "Too loose and he'll break your guard. Too rigid and you can't react quick enough. And you become predictable."

As if on cue to test what Amani had said, the droid abruptly switched styles. He came back around with a Form II maneuver. A refined jab and swipe, trying to slip past the padawan's defense.

Jayce had not anticipated the sudden switch of style, just as Amani had predicted.

He was still crouched low when the Kayjay brought out Form II; and, though he tried to bring his blade up to block the jab, the droid was already inside his defenses, and the tip of its training saber struck his shoulder, right above his heart.

Had Kayjay been using a real lightsaber, the attack would have run him through, leaving him with a pierced lung and several cauterized arteries. But since it was a training session, he only felt an electrified jolt, shrieked, and fell backwards.

"I've never seen a droid do that," he hissed, massaging his shoulder with his free hand. The training droids he'd practiced against mostly stuck to Form I or Form II, but never switched freely between both. He had a lot to catch up on.

Jayce got back to his feet, angling his blade defensively. The spot where Kayjay had tagged him tingled, but did not hurt. However, if he took a few more of those, he knew he'd be sore for days. "Again?" he asked, looking to Amani for guidance.

The sudden Makashi maneuver seemed to get the best of the padawan, leaving him dead. At least he would be if this were a real figh. But that was the point of training after all, to overcome those mistakes in a risk-free environment. Amani showed no reaction on her face, remaining an easy presence, "Kayjay, and others of his model, can be quite impressive when they need to be," And given that even Jedi masters needed a sparring partner from time to time, that need was common.

"Again," The mirialan affirmed. The droid took a Makashi stance. Once Jayce was ready, Kayjay struck first with fluid and precise cuts. It started relatively slow, as if trying to prod the padawan's defenses rather than outright going for the kill, "You may very well face enemies who use all kinds of different Forms. You should, in time, have at least a general understanding of each."

Jayce nodded.

Of course, he couldn't pout forever. If a training droid could best him, what hope had he of vanquishing a Sith, or any other number of Dark Jedi out in the galaxy? He reassumed his stance in tandem with Kajay, and when the droid struck, this time, Jayce tightened his defensive parries as he got a feel for the rhythm of Makashi.

As the droid grew more intense, so did Jayce, until the two were practically dancing with another. He bid his time until an opening presented itself in the droid's form, then brought his blade up in a diagonal slash that was both meant to knock back its weapon and cut across its chassis.

Sweat beaded on his forehead. His body's natural fatigue was beginning to creep in. Another lesson, he thought. He could not just rely on his body. He needed to pull in the Force. The thought alone opened a door in his mind that brought the Force pouring in like a cooling breeze.

He could do this. He could win. He felt so for the first time.

The student and the droid began their duel in earnest. The intensity of which gradually strengthened until the two were at each other's throats. Jayce seemed to get a sense for Kayjay's movements, as much as Kayjay did his. Amani noted it herself, and smiled faintly. The droid was quick, but Jayce was quicker to exploit the opening he found. The diagonal cut bounced off Kayjay's saber; It wasn't enough to land a killing blow, but it caused him to stumble back, breaking his stance and guard.

The droid found purchase once more, but there was almost a delay of sorts in its movements, struggling to catch up with the padawan, who was now making use of the shift in momentum. Amani waited, knowing the droid had one more strategy up its sleeve. As a final attempt to regain the offensive, Kayjay lashed out with another Form I move. He was now dueling with a meld of both forms, utilizing the strengths of each to keep Jayce on his toes— Or tag him, and end this battle in the droid's victory. Amani watched on, silently cheering for her student's success, not wanting to risk a distraction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom