Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Reply Independent Study - Coruscant

MOSHED-2022-8-18-23-58-27.jpg

Independent Study
Coruscant, Library of the Republic
Tags: Open | First Reply (or dm to request admission)

Loomi_divider.png

"This is stupid," Loomi muttered silently as she as she made her way down the shelved corridors of the Galactic Alliance's largest library, a remnant of Coruscant's past as the capital of the Republic. "I should be training to fight pirates and stuff, not... read."

"Being able to comprehend the texts you are assigned is integral to your Jedi training," her droid companion Yogurt insisted. "It's important that you practice. Your recent aptitude test was... less than ideal."

The Godoan became red in the face, adverting her gaze. She had taken a reading comprehension exam after struggling to read one of the philosophical texts she had been assigned to read. based upon the results, she had a reading comprehension on-par with individuals seven years younger than her. It was embarrassing how terrible her reading comprehension was. Loomi really just wanted to ignore it and pretend that it wasn't important, but every advisor ever insisted that it was important she be brought up to speed. So, despite her protests, she had been sent to the Library of the Republic to start improving her reading.

"I know," she frowned, crossing her arms. "It's just embarrassing, y'know? I bet all my peers can read just fine... Probably."

"Well, you'll catch up with them soon enough," Yogurt whirred. "How about you start in the teen section? Simple. Most of those are dumbed down to keep the attention of youths, or at least that's what a guide on the holonet informed me."

The little droid had gone out of his way to research genres prior to their expedition to better support her learning efforts. It was very enduring, enough to motivate Loomi to grab a holobook from the shelf...

"What's this..."

Love is Blind for a Miraluka... Lady Velvet. Miraluka, that was a species. Perhaps it was educational. Loomi didn't read on her off-time, of course, so she had no real concept of what a genre even was. Books just held knowledge.

But, as the Godoan turned on the book and began to flip through the digital pages, she found herself gazing at words that didn't seem very educational. They were simple enough for her to understand, but full of dialogue that was swimming with tension. With each flipped page, Loomi's face grew redder and redder. She could barely process what she was reading. It all seemed so unrealistic, but her eyes remained glued to the page. Was this...

"Loomi?" Yogurt piped up, hovering over her shoulder. "What's wrong?"

"N-nothing!" the Godoan insisted, slamming the holobook's metal casing closed. "I-it's just... hot in here."

"Okay," the droid buzzed. "I'm gonna go see if I can download the library's catalogue so you can read more back at the Temple. I'll be back."

As the spark drifted off, Loomi let out a sigh. She waited a few moments for Yogurt to vanish from the site of her singular eye before flipping the holobook back open...

Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania thank you for the inspiration for this one lol.

Wearing: Interceptor Gear

Armed With: Nathan's Saberstaff

A figure in black biker gear cut through the Library.

He remembered visiting this place in the Gulag Era. It had been majestic even in its ruin.

The Gulag Virus had not left room for such luxury as a library. It was one of his rare indulgences.

The grim faced Jedi, seemingly nigh mechanical in his movements had needed to get his mind of discovering that Jedi Necropolis, and had decided to try the novelty of reading a book in a library. He picked something strange. The history of the Rakata.

He spotted a Jedi Padawan busily flipping through a holobook with a conspiratorial gaze to her and Nathan raised an eyebrow. Lots of Padawan in this era, he found, hadn't had the Naive shaken out of them yet. Plague forced you to grow up fething quick.

Nathan walked over.

"If you're reading something you should not be, the least you could do is not be quite so obvious about it." he said stoically. Nathan had only become slightly more well known in Coruscant, cleaning out swarms of violent gangmembers from the Underworks, donating Bacta to injured war Veterans. But he still wasn't a blip on anyone's radar and preferred it that way.

"If you want a tip, I'd start reading up on first aid." he said to Loomi Loomi . "Real easy to get hurt in this business. I'd also start learning about languages."

MOSHED-2022-8-18-23-58-27.jpg

Coruscant, Library of the Republic
Tags: Nathan Bloodscrawl Nathan Bloodscrawl

Loomi_divider.png

"If you're reading something you should not be, the least you could do is not be quite so obvious about it."

"EEP!"

Loomi jumped, slamming the holobook shut and clutching it to her chest.

"G-golly, don't sneak up on people," she scowled, bright red in the face. "You're gonna give someone a heart attack..."

The Godoan assessed the man who had approached her with her singular eye. He was gruff, definately scruffy, and looked like the type who was either too hardcore or thought he was hard core. His suggestion for what she should be reading definately made her lean towards the former.

Business. In what business? She wasn't in a business, as far as she was concerned at least. It was probably some weird human thing. She'd address that later.

"I'm already learning that stuff elsewhere," she frowned. "Besides, it's my time. I'll read recreationally if I want to, thank you very much."

Curiosity crept in. What was his deal? It didn't seem like a normal thing to wander up to strangers.

"You... enjoy being nosey or something?"

Nathan, greatly unfamiliar with the ins and outs of maneuvering socially in an era not dominated by rampant disease, soul crushing madness, and general anarchy, struggled to explain his position in a coherent way.

"A Padawan learning to be subtle when going about their business can be a good thing. For example, would you have drawn any attention at all had you not gone out of your way to hide what you were reading from the Droid? Do you really think you have dissuaded the machine from whatever artificial curiosity it may now be harboring?" Nathan asked.

"I have no clue what you're reading of course. It makes no difference to me. I don't even know what genres are popular these days. But acting as casually as possible can go a long way in not just accomplishing a goal, but affect what you learn and how you learn it. It..."

He paused. Collected himself.

"It...was something my own Master stressed to me. Then again, I learned to hide my presence as a survival skill..."

Loomi Loomi

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom