Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private In the Shadow of Demise

In the Shadow of Demise

Tags: Iris Arani Iris Arani

B1ojkOj.png

The tall trees of Kashyyyk towered over the shoreline in the distance. The immediate vicinity of the temple grounds were relatively clear and ships coming and going made for a steady flow in the skies. Mathieu took a deep breath - it was good to finally be back on Kashyyyk, a planet where he had not been for some time. It was rare for a Padawan to stay away from the temple for the lengthy times that he had - but war had kept him occupied, for not only was he a Padawan, but also a seasoned warrior who had by this point seen many battles, both before and after joining the ranks of the Jedi. Perhaps it is why he often wore his armour despite being in a safe environment - regardless, the heavy plates didn't do much to wind him at this point.

Although he had expected to be familiar with all the inns and outs of the temple by now, the Padawan found himself on a path which he had not yet walked. It was no wonder, considering the size of the complex and that he rarely had reason to visit the area in which he had just been. The new experience was a welcome one - for it offered a nice view over the shore and seemed relatively secluded.

Concerning news from across the galaxy had been trickling in. The large Padawan usually kept up with the major happenings around the galaxy but for the past while, he had been all too busy with whatever was in immediate need of doing. Still, he remembered the Admiral saying something about a potential shift in focus, hinting at the possibility of a mission on the near future. A soft smile spread across his lips as he found himself once more thinking about conflict - a topic which he would have preferred to liberate himself from, at least for the time being. If he did not allow himself to recuperate and find peace and harmony, he would soon be walking down a dangerous path.

For a moment, the Padawan stopped and turned, letting his back face the temple wall as he gazed out over the aquamarine sea. It was a beautiful sight for a needed pause.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

toppng.com-color-splash-png-1169x587.png

There was a time in the temple where everything was new and wonderful. The bright, beautiful color that came from those who called themselves Jedi made it so easy for Iris to zone out and relax in the usual swirl of colors. Her paintings were few and inbetween, her mind able to focus elsewhere and enjoy what the world had to offer. She'd even taken up a sketch pad to start drawing the various and beautiful views of Kashyyyk. She knew no one, but that had been fine. She could make friends soon enough. There was no hurry.

Then the light was suddenly overwhelmed. All at once a mix of colors flooded her mind. Red, yellow, black. Rage, sorrow, death. It was overwhelming, blocking out her sight of anything but it. What it was, she had no idea. The only thing she knew was that she needed to paint.

Iris hung upside down from the roof of the Kashyyyk temple, her arms and hands covered in streaks of black, red, and orange. She drew what she saw in a fanatical frenzy, for hours non stop. She couldn't stop, not until her vision was finally on something for her to see. And finally she finished it. She let her arms dangle as she stayed how she was, staring over the image.

"What.. Happened..?"

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

The the soothing sounds of the distant waves wouldn't carry all the way to where he was. Still, just standing there and taking them in from afar made a difference. It made him feel more at peace than before making it easier to think of other things than war and conflict. There would be no sudden shift in pace as he slowly turned to continue down the path which he had been walking.

Rounding a corner, the large Padawan suddenly felt an odd sensation of dread. It was an odd feeling that simmered in his core but refused to make itself all too noticeable. It was a feeling he had felt a number of times during the day - it was enough to make him slow down a little subconsciously, but not enough to make him change his course. It was only when he rounded the corner that he quickly picked up the pace - for it was only then that he saw the girl hanging upside-down from the temple roof ahead, seemingly drenched in a sea of reds and oranges.

Worried that she might fall, Mathieu threw his arms open as he rushed to close the distance between them, ultimately ending up somewhere underneath her. "Hello?" he called out with the concern in his voice rather obvious for anyone to hear "I'll catch you if you fall" For a brief moment, his attention shifted, making the girl fade into the back of his mind as it was drawn to the painting behind her. It seemed like a relatively abstract piece - one which the Padawan didn't enjoy all that much, for it reminded him of that odd dreadful sensation he had been feeling. But this was hardly the time to play art critic. He forced his mind to return to the present "Got any plans on how to get down?" he asked, still worried that she'd fall and get injured.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

toppng.com-color-splash-png-1169x587_1.png

There it was. The feelings, the color. It was horrible. Paint dripped from her fingers as she stayed where she was. Trying her best to make sense of what it was. Never in her life had she felt such a massive loss of life. She didn't understand the Force to begin with, and to have this was.. Just overwhelming. She didn't notice Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion walking over. She didn't even hear him at first. Too lost in a sorrow she didn't know.

When his voice did reach her ears she looked down. Blue eyes filled with an uncertain pain watched him for a moment. Then she blinked, and such pain was gone. Instead, curiosity filled them. How long had she been painting? She got lost in it again. A soft pout spread over Iris's features. The whole reason the young woman was here was to learn how not to drift off.

Then the reality of her orientation hit. She was upside down. How..? Her gaze glanced up to the rope she used to tie off her leg so she could hang and finish the piece. Huh. "Oh. I don't think I have a way down." Her tone was complete surprise, as if she hadn't realized the predicament she put herself in until just then. She looked back down with a smile, shrugging.

"I'll figure something out."

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

Seeing the girl return to the present was interesting to say the least. Slowly, but surely, she navigated back to what was happening with her eyes going form spot to spot and finally up to her leg and then back down at him. The Padawan produced an amused smirk as she revealed that she truly was a bit unsure of the circumstances she was in. "Welcome back" he said, carrying a friendly and somewhat sarcastic tone.

He looked to her with a bit of uncertainty but ultimately, the decision to stay was an easy one. Even if he had something scheduled after, avoiding letting her get injured was probably more important. But now that his schedule was free, there wasn't even a question on what the right thing to do was. "I'll stay put until you've figured it out then".

A soft breeze brushed through his hair as he waited "I hope aren't getting cold up there" he noted casually before letting his gaze shift to the painting, not having failed to notice the colour still dripping off of her fingers. "It looks pretty grim" he commented whilst maintaining his normally rather positive attitude. It was a curious comment, rather than a critical one.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

"Alright. Hmm.." Once again she zoned back out, looking up to her foot. She could just untie herself. The reality that doing so would have her drop immediately didn't even cross her mind. Instead, she leaned up, idly working on the knot that kept her from falling. "Cold?" She paused, blinking again. Was she cold? She hadn't thought about that. Sure enough, she felt plenty cold now that she was.

Then the knot gave way. She fell without a sound, obviously too surprised by the sudden change in her reality. The only thing that kept her from actually freaking out was the fact he'd catch her. She blinked, glancing around the now correctly oriented landscape. "Oh. I'm down." Then she remembered a question. Just before she fell. Not about her being cold. Her eyes drifted low as the saddened, almost painful look returned.

"The colors are all so harsh and sad today. Something terrible happened."

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

Letting his gaze shift to the painting had been a mistake. For while Mathieu studied it, the girl he was there to help took the most direct possible route towards returning to the ground, namely untying herself for a freefall. His idea was just to be there as a precaution for if she'd fall by accident - the girl obviously had something different in mind.

Still, he would act fast and raised his arms to receive her as she tumbled down. It was with a gracious motion that he managed to get one arm by her back and another by her legs - thus allowing him to catch her before a hard fall. His muscled arms covered by the occasional armour plate were a far from soft but undeniably, they were a better alternative than the ground.

His eyes revealed the rather bewildered state he found himself in as he looked down to the girl, still not uttering a word. Holding her, Mathieu listened to her surprised declaration that she was down but it didn't process their meaning. The continued words that followed slowly started making some sense as he started returning to the present. The Padawan's odd sensation of dread from before made sense if she was right but at this moment, he didn't feel it at all. Completely having forget to let her down onto the ground, Mathieu held on to her - for some reason feeling a sense of excitement and curiosity. "Hi" he said, after a brief pause. His voice now calmer and lower than before whilst still letting traces of his bewilderment linger. "I'm Mathieu"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

The quiet lingered for her. Iris was focused on that feeling. The horror from before. She couldn't make sense of it, and the question was practically raging in her mind as she tried to figure out why the colors were so harsh. The young Jedi didn't seem to either notice or care that she hadn't been set down. It took a moment after he spoke, as if there was a delay between his words being said and her ears actually picking up the sound. When they did, she blinked and looked to him.

"Oh. I'm Iris. Hello."

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

His eyes studied her with interest as he awaited a response. Mathieu didn't feel like he was in any rush in letting her reply and was more curious than anything. The girl appeared to be too lost in her own thoughts to answer but when she finally did, a smile appeared on his lips. "Iris" he whispered, more for himself than her whilst getting a feel for her name. He then spoke to her, letting out a soft "Hello" repeating the greeting she extended to him, not thinking of himself already having said 'hi'.

Mathieu barely even thought of it as he took a couple steps back, moving from the immediate vicinity of the wall back onto the pathway he had been following earlier. Even then, his eyes only left her for a few brief moments whilst moving. Now having reclaimed some of the presence from before and having been able to fully process her words, Mathieu spoke "I've been feeling all weird and stuff today. But it's gotten better-..." he said, letting the sentence fade out and adding "I hope that, whatever happened wasn't too bad." Looking down to her, not showing any signs of being close to tiring, he asked "How are you feeling?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

While Iris was looking at Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion technically, her eyes were never actually on him. Instead, she was studying the colors around him. As ever, there was that.. Light. Pure, simple. And the other colors she was so used to seeing. Idly she started to swing her legs to and fro. Really, she hadn't noticed he was still holding her, but at the same time she did what she always did when she was sitting.

So he did feel it too. Iris closed her eyes and let out a breath of relief. She wasn't alone here. Right. Other Jedi could feel things too. "I'm okay. Better now." Her eyes opened again as she actually looked directly at him. She was quiet for a moment, then tilted her head.

"Your colors are pretty. But.. Different from the other Jedi. Like me. You didn't start as a Jedi, right?"

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

"That's good to hear" he said, looking to her, still with interest. For some reason, her presence felt so strong - yet her personality seemed so hard to truly grasp. She was right there in his arms, yet it felt like her mind was at a completely different point. But then, she looked him in the eyes - truly looked him in the eyes. A genuine smile grew on his lips without him even noticing it. It was something special with it but pinpointing what it was seemed to be a rather impossible task.

Although he was quite clueless as to what she meant, Mathieu still slipped in a "Thanks" to what appeared to be a compliment. Iris continued, speaking of him being different until she pointed at what she thought it was. His eyesbrows rose in surprise "That's right" he said, his mind immediately venturing to his time as a Mercenary - a part of his life which he wasn't proud of. He diverted his gaze, momentarily looking to the painting "I tried to do what was right, I really did." The Padawan spoke with innocence before shrugging. As his shoulders rose, so did his arms and consequently also the girl who rested on them.

Mathieu didn't spend much time on the question and instead looked back down to the girl "You're new? What did you do before?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

It was the movement that brought her attention to where exactly she was. She blinked slowly, turning her gaze from him to look at the ground below them. Huh. He was really tall, given how far the floor seemed to be. That however was the only thought that crossed her mind before she once again focused on the fellow padawan before her. She smiled softly, nodding. For whatever reason, she fully believed him. It was just how she was. And often why she got into a lot of trouble back home. Or, ex home? Hmm. Something to ask one of the masters.

"I lived in a slum and painted, mostly. The color I see others don't, and I wanted them to see the beauty that was there." If she were actually to think about it, the reason she even had enough money to live in the poor apartment she did was because of those who appreciated her art. But it wasn't a thought that ever crossed her mind, even now. "I arrived a couple weeks ago."

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

She didn't question him on his statement that he tried to do what was right. Few people did, thankfully, but it was always good to be trusted. To have others think that he wasn't really a bad person. And it felt good, that she was one of them. Or, at least appeared to be.

His mind went to the slums of Nar Shaddaa and Commenor. He remembered how he and Caden had been exposed to a robbery attempt there during the early days. Mathieu's eyes studied the girl, her features were so soft, her eyes so innocent. A subtle look of concern could be seen spreading across his eyes as he wondered what kind of environment she had been exposed to in the past. For he couldn't imagine how she'd fare in an environment far more predatorial and hostile than that which could be found at the Silver Rest. He didn't say anything, however, for she continued speaking of colours which only she could see and how she liked painting so that others could see the beauty too. "That's nice. Although, you'll have to tell me about those colours sometime."

"So, you're new then?" Mathieu wasn't very surprised. She felt new - like someone who had not yet been listening to boring lectures and instructed by wise masters. "Have you been to the eastern courtyard? It's just around the corner, right ov-" his sentence cut short as he was about to raise an arm to point in the direction of the courtyard - an area where he and his friends had spent many hours practicing and sparring. Of course, raising his arm to point out the direction wasn't as simple with Iris still laying on top of it. The large Morellian produced a few heavy blinks as his mind processed what was and had been happening. Had he really been so absent or lost in his thoughts that he hadn't thought about this rather odd position they were in? Mathieu's blue eyes scanned her face, looking expressions pertaining to the situation but found none "I'm so sorry. I, uh.. I should let you down" he stuttered before committing to the action.

Living In Color
Codex Judge

"Mm. They're hard to describe, really. I can try, some time!" She actually seemed quite excited about the idea. In truth, there hadn't been anyone she could share her gift with, at least not without painting. If someone could see what she saw, maybe they'd understand more than just the art she drew? It was the idea of not being alone that seemed to have her quite thrilled. Iris nodded once. She was pretty new, that was true. Well. A couple weeks really was as new as it could get.

Unless it was less than two weeks. Maybe she wasn't that new, then? Her gaze drifted off as she started to debate the intricacies of what it meant to be new or not in her mind. She'd come to a conclusion that there simply wasn't any way to really figure it out when he started stuttering. Why was he stuttering? Blue eyes watched with curiosity as the colors around him shifted. Before she knew it she was on her feet again. And having to look up at him. Really look up at him. She craned her head back none the less, though it'd likely get uncomfortable if she had to stay like this.

"Why are you sorry? You caught me, right?"

Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

It was quite the awkward spot he was in. Thoughts rushed through his mind as he was putting her back down onto the ground. The idea of becoming friends seemed rather distant as the behaviour he had displayed was odd to say the least. His eyebrows formed weary lines as he stood back up to his full height and looked to her, still seeking a reaction. Unexpectedly, Iris appeared to be alright - it seemed as if she didn't mind. The Padawan's worried expression was replaced by a hopeful, yet confused one. An unsure "Uhm" escaped him. It was hard to really assign words to his misdeed, something which manifested itself in a barely voiced sentence: "I-..."

Mathieu shook his head lightly whilst giving her a confused look, wondering if she was aware of what he had been so oblivious about until just a few moments ago. A smile careful, "I did catch you, I'm glad I did. I just think, uhm..." he trailed off once more and ended up completing the sentence as a question "I think that maybe I should've let you go a little sooner?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

"Should you have?" It was a genuine question, with an even more genuine expression of curiosity behind it. Not only was she not bothered, but it seemed she had little understanding of what exactly was wrong with it in the first place. After a moment she just smiled and shrugged. Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion seemed bothered by the idea, so she wasn't going to press the issue. Last thing she wanted to do was make a new friend uncomfortable. She turned her gaze in the direction he had looked earlier.

"So what's special about the eastern courtyard?"

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

The puzzled look remained as she still seemed to be unaware of what he was thinking of. Two blinks were followed by a slow nod "Yeah" he said with a tone verging on amusement. It was not an expected reaction but certainly a welcome one. His shoulders fell upon receiving the smile and shurg, both gestures allowing him to relax and let out a breath of relief. He offered a nod and a low "Thanks" in appreciation.

Her mind returned to the eastern courtyard, the point of the conversation where they'd left off. "It's just nice" he said idly before raising his arm and pointing to it "It's that way. Loads of Padawans, Knights and even Masters go there to practice" he said with enthusiasm clear in his voice. "It's a nice place to spend some time if you're feeling restless." The Morellian paused for a bit as he looked to Iris and then up to the wall behind her. "Not so sure if it's a good spot to paint though"

The eerie sensation of dread seemed to return, although, now, it felt more distant, less prominent. It was as if her presence helped him manage it - or at least cover the bad up with some good. The concern about what it might be was pushed to the back of his mind as he took a step along the path he had been walking before meeting her. "What were you doing anyways? You haven't got any masters nagging you to go to lectures or practice meditation or something?"

Living In Color
Codex Judge

"Anywhere's a good place to paint. You just need to be creative." That was that on that matter. Iris was a firm believer that art, painting and otherwise, was a way to bring joy and emotion into the world. Without it, well. She'd never of been able to show the slums what it was she saw. And she still wanted to show more people. The feeling of dread though was a wash of the same colors that she'd put up on the wall. Her gaze lingered on it for too long. In truth, she hated that drawing. But she needed to make it real.

".. Huh?" Again in her own head she'd only caught half the conversation with Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion . She gave a sheepish smile before shrugging. "Nothing really. They wanted me to get used to this place first. Try meditating. Though, even when my eyes close I can still see all the colors, so meditation isn't as.. Meditating I guess? It's better if I'm painting, I think."

In the Shadow of Demise

B1ojkOj.png

He shrugged. Many of the courtyard walls primarily consisted of glass with the occasional pillar here and there. But then, maybe she could paint the pillars, or perhaps the floor. It didn't make much of a difference to him - if he stayed around her for long enough, chances were that he'd find out how she approached these things anyways. Although, why the Temple keepers allowed her to paint so freely was quite the mystery to him.

His eyes rested on her as she took in his question. He didn't rush to rephrase and it seemed to pay off as she soon answered. "Everyone learns differently" he said with a smile growing on his lips "Your way certainly seems more positive than some" His mind went to his own ways, well aware of his affinity towards exercise and practice. Maybe painting was a better outlet - at least it wouldn't lead towards combat.

Iris hadn't shown any signs towards following when he took his first step along the path - an indication that he was ready to move on. But then, Mathieu wasn't truly all that eager to leave - they had only just met. "Show me" he said, seemingly out of the blue. "Show me another one of your paintings."

Living In Color
Codex Judge

"Does it? Are there more negative ways?" She hummed the question out, watching him. Oh, wait, were they supposed to go to the eastern courtyard? Iris watched him as he stepped back over. Maybe they weren't? Now she was just confused, but at least he was asking about her art. Oh! Her art! She smiled wide at this, though how was she supposed to show him? Most of her art was back home. Off world, really. No, wait! The thought process was clear in her eyes as she tried to figure out where to go from here.

There was only one natural conclusion.

"I have my sketch pad in my room. C'mon." She smiled brightly for a moment before turning to head back into the temple. With or without Mathieu Brion Mathieu Brion it seemed. She was again in her own head as she thought about the various things she'd drawn. Which would be best to show him first?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom