Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private In my Family's Name

She did not live on Alderaan, her mother did, her Aunt did, her cousins even did but she did not. When the request came from Faith to bring medical supplies from MandalMedical she hesitated. She knew in her heart she should say yes without question, but it was the Mandalorian Civil War that had killed her father. It was the result of that same war that exiled her mother from her home, taken her husband, and a people who forgot what good works her mother and father had done on behalf of the Vod.

Should she help? She had taken an oath ...as much as she felt....an anger she could not ignore the need for help.

She packed the Dancing Thranta with everything she could think of sent a message to Faith she was going, and then sent a message to Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida that she would be arriving within a few days with the supplies. She looked forward to meeting her.

Please help me forget my anger, my pain....please

The Mandokarla were not bereft of technology, though someone visiting Resa might think otherwise. Runi received the message of the coming shipment as Faith had generously arranged previously. The Shaman acknowledged the message and provided a place where the vessels could arrive at Hefi to unload the shipment; as well as a note that Runi would be there in person to welcome them.

When the time came, Runi strode out toward the landing zone where the vessels parked to unload their cargo. Several workers accompanied her ready to assist or at least direct any of Faith's -- or Maeve's -- own people in where to store the material pending transport. All of them drew up short until word was received by the arriving vessels how they wanted to proceed with the unloading, of course.

Under the circumstances, Runi removed and handed her helmet over to a Pathfinder that had accompanied the Speaker to this meeting. They were not enemies so revealing her face to their honored guests was not inappropriate. If anything, they deserved to see Runi's face for their generosity and the lives it would help save in worlds overseen by the Enclave's interplanetary government.

Maeve Ar'klim Maeve Ar'klim

Maeve only brought a couple of droids to help unload no one else. She kept very little company with others anymore Ayda Elisantra Ayda Elisantra was off on a mission for Doctors without Borders and promised to contact her once she was back. Ayda was probably her only friend outside of family.

Here she was now walking out to meet Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida . For a moment Maeve studied the woman coming towards her, she came without the buy'ce which meant a show of trust.

"Greetings are you Runi Kuryida?" She hoped she said the name correctly, "if so I am Maeve Ar'klim" she almost said of Clan Ordo but didn't add it. She wasn't sure she should given that she did not act or keep the traditions of the mandalorians. "My Cousin Faith said you need medical supplies. I have brought them"

She sounded choppy and unsure in her speech what else should she say?

Runi stopped and listened as Maeve introduced herself. The Shaman nodded when asked if she were in fact Runi. "May the Light of the Manda illuminate your Path, Maeve Ar'klim. I am Runi Kuryida, and you do our people great honor in providing medical supplies. We will be there should any raise their hand against you. Until then, I hope our worlds can share knowledge, wisdom, and good company."

"Shall we speak while the cargo is loaded? It would be rude only to take from such generous hospitality."
Runi turned her head aside with a slight nod for an attendent to step forward with a bottle cradled in both hands. "A drink from Wild Space. It is young, but even the very young bring pleasant surprises." Their farms and vinyards had not had long to form, of course. To say nothing of many worlds so far out being less hospitable than Alderaan and other bountiful planets.

Maeve listened with caution to Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida she understood enough to know that this was a formal greeting and promise since she had come to help. "I hope that Alderaan and Hefi can become great friends." That wasn't quite what she wanted to say, "No. It is my wish that my family and the people of the clans become great friends again."

She nodded her gaze dropped to the ground for a moment she felt awkward and unsure. She looked up when something familiar was mentioned, "Yes let's talk about what I have brought, and perhaps you can tell me more about yourself."

Oh a drink, She couldn't help but grin, "I don't mind something young, thank you it is most welcome" yes anything that would help her feel more centered. "My mother is working on something to send for your farms to help with increasing productions or something like that. She muttered when she said it, she does that when she's deep in thought."

Maeve held up the bottle, "I look forward to opening it. I have the traditional Alderaan gift basket as well. Wine, cheese, crackers, sample of moss art...all the things Alderaan likes to show off. So Ms. Kruyida are you an alor?"

Last edited:
Runi bowed her head as Maeve's kind words. "It is that which each of us strives for." Greatness meant many things to many people, but such was to be the case when they walked their own Paths through life. It was not whether the goal was greater than other, but that it was vigorously pursued.

"The people of the Wild Region will benefit greatly from any material or products that can bolster the production of food," Runi acknowledged. "The Tributary Council will seek to elevate the quality of life in that region; and women like us will ensure they do not lose their way." Starvation and dehydration -- the absolute control of food and water -- were often used to keep a population in line by gangs, dictators, and war lords. People became so desperate and powerless they had no choice but to beg for scraps. A deplorable state for any people, and one the Enclave will address as quickly as possible. Maeve and Faith's supplies will go a long way toward that aim.

"I look forward to sampling this gift basket; but not more than your company." Material appreciation was nice, but unnecessary. An exchange of gifts was a demonstration more of respect than a desire to be treated.

Maeve then had an interesting, but not unreasonable question in turn. "Yes. Not of a Clan as most come to know them, however. I am the Alor of the Mandokarla, an organization devoted to the betterment of the Mandalorian people and society. I do not claim to lead any Clan so that I may represent all vod, and show none favor."

"And you, Miss Ar'klim, what is it you strive toward in this life?"
Runi smiled as she watched the other woman with a small smile.

For a moment Maeve reflected on the time Faith asked her to do this for her, for the people even then inside Maeve wondered what did she want from going to Hefi. Did she want something? Now here was Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida asking her what she was striving for in this life.

Mandokarla it was a word she was not familiar with but understanding the position Runi had represent all equally show no favor to one. Not one that she remembered her family using. Maybe Arla would know. She'd ask her sister when she got back.

"My goals for this life to help as many as I can and try to find some peace along the way. " Maeve had questions that had nothing to do with the medical supplies but now was not the time really.

"If you can tell me what else you need I'll be sure to see if we have it. Either that or I will put it into production so you can have it." She smiled at Runi, "It would seem things have changed among the clans from what I can vaguely remember."

A few more steps, "most people wants possessions, the Galaxy seems to be focused on what it can control the people just want to get through another day, have something to eat, and someone to share it with. Least that's what see. Is it what you see?"

"Yes." Runi nodded. "Material distractions provide a false sense of security, belongings, and comfort. They are all too often sought after as a means of displaying one's success as though it may be carried into the next life. They are a thing we encourage visitors to Resa to abandon while they are in our care." Though they didn't encouraging abandoning having someone to share things with, of course, as long as those things were life, companionship, and happiness to some degree.

"While the Mandalorian Way has not changed, it would be foolish for the Clans to neglect their Soul in favor of material gains or imposing a sense of justice. That is the purpose of the Mandokarla -- to see to the daily needs of the people rather than to the hunt or battle. Many support us in our cause, but this is something we focus on for the betterment of all."
Their small number weren't the only ones striving toward fulfilling the needs of the people; but while others might be divided in attention or zealously pursuing agendas, the Shaman and Pathfinders simply desired a strong foundation for all vod to return to between conflicts or jobs.

"Food, water, farm supplies, medicine, educational material, and lasting sources of energy are all in great need among the worlds of 'Wild Space.' Many of the worlds have been on the rim neglected by the galactic community long enough they have little infrastructure or development. Stabilizing their societies and organizing them in such a way they grow sustainably is crucial to the success of the Enclave's purpose in that region," Runi explained.

She listened, the great skill of her family listen and then speak.

What she heard was a people in need but could she do it without bring up the anger that so often finds it way out. She to Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida , "The way has not changed you say." She exhaled slowly feeling the emotion turn over inside.

"I can get you things to help with the outer rim. Mobile hospitals that can be set up near clans in need. " One more time she heard the words in her head and one more time she pushed that little demon back into the hiding place.

"Can I question you about the ways now?" Should she say something now...no she would wait to hear the answer.

Runi regarded Maeve for a moment as the woman mulled over what the Shaman had said. Given this encounter had been arranged by Faith it was expected Maeve would not be a "warmonger" (as some put it) and appreciate the lifestyle of the Mandalorian. Though the Enclave was not interested in galactic expansion as so many others were. It was not, however, full of pacifists either. If there was a battle to be had to purge the galaxy of the Sith then their people would be there. Nonetheless, that was not all they did, and so Runi hoped engagements like the one presently occurring would continue.

"That would be most welcome." Runi nodded slightly with the offer of mobile hospitals.

"Please, ask any question you desire. I will answer what I can." Obviously Runi would not divulge any inner workings of government, defensive placements, or personnel movements; but such things were usually a given.

There was permission for her to ask but now Maeve realized she shouldn't jump into this thing with two feet and then run down the path wildly, no she needed to word her questions right and wait for answers.

"Thank you for indulging me" She had gone to her sister Ginnie for answers but that visit had not come off as she had hoped and Maeve left still unsure of what to think.

"How do the clans feel about those touched by the force?" Both of her parents had been touched by it willingly and unwillingly. But what did it mean today, was it welcome was it taboo, was it............anything? She just did not know.

Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida

A patient chuckle followed Maeve's first question. "Many Mandalorians -- and their clans -- view it with suspicion at best even though it is a blessing of the Manda. Whether one says they are of the Light, the Dark, or otherwise. It is not an ability they feel exemplifies the spirit of the Mandalore. It is with that understanding that among the Mandokarla that Shaman, like myself, do not use this gift unless it is necessary. We do not seek to shield the galaxy nor add to its woes; but we will protect our own if those with this power seeks to do them harm."

"The Mandokarla is a small organization within the Enclave. Our focus is on empowering the power and seeing to their needs. As for combat and hunting such things are left to the Clan Alor and Enclave government."
Runi knew well enough about the Art of War, but it was as little their charge to lead on the frontline as it was to command 'the Force' to sweep away all foes without any effort at all.

"If you indulge me, how do you feel about 'the Force?'"

The Force, "an invisible hand that is used by the design of the wielder." the words just fell out of her mouth, "My mother is a Jedi, a Healer.....but my father was possessed by a Sith spirit which cost him everything. My mother's knowledge of the force saved him, sorta...in the end it was a brother that killed him in Civil War. Mandalorians broke my family because of the force, because of our beliefs. I respect it the force, but I hate it too....it seems to ask a lot of those who can touch it."

She didn't mention that she had the gift her mother taught her, but it frightened her to use it and it worried her of how others would react.

That was the most she had spoken about her family in a long time. Why did she just tell Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida ?

For every answer, Maeve seemed to conjure up a new question in Runi's mind. "It is... a gift. But it is not without danger. When you are able to perform feats others once thought impossible, and have it within your grasp to reshape the world to your whim, the temptations swiftly multiply. A haughty, disdainful attitude is the most common affliction -- the belief you are better than those around you."

"As for what it asks,"
Runi paused to smile, "I will only say this, you are who you choose to be in the end. Even if another possesses you and draws the ire of the masses, how you respond once free of those chains is what matters." The Shaman shrugged slightly. "I strive to find such corruption and root it out before too much damage is done, as I can."

With regard to Maeve's history, Runi added, "I will see that the Enclave does not persecute families such as yours. As they would then quite to persecute me in turn, and I doubt the Manda would approve of that very much."

Maeve stood in silence. The answer given was not really what she had expected and now she wasn't sure how to react. She looked at Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida Maeve believed her mother and father good people. They had built hospitals across the Mandalorian Empire as it was, helping where they could when they could. Was it really so simple now that the clans would look upon them and accept them back?

Did she want to go back? Was Clan Ordo ready for her? Did she want that life?

"I need to think on all of that what you say. For now I just want to help where I can, MandalMedical will continue to bring supplies no matter what the Clans status with the Alliance is. What worlds, or clans need the most help, I'll make a list and start putting together a schedule to get them what they need" She then half smiled no one should be without medicine.

"I wish you had a chance to meet my father, he...was a great man, great Dad. So do you consider yourself a diplomat?"

"We all walk our own Paths," Runi acknowledged.

"The Rim worlds will be grateful of whatever aid you bring. They have been neglected far too long and become victims of criminals and war lords." The Shaman slipped a small data card from a pocket and extended it toward the other woman. "The worlds in need of assistance and a brief description of their plights." While a cunning mind could make use of even this much, care had been taken not to broadcast which world might be considered 'ripe for conquest.' As much as Runi believed in what Maeve said, the Enclave was still young to the galactic stage. Even if Maeve herself had no ulterior motive, could either speak of every assistance or attendant in their charge?

"A Diplomat?" Runi's chin lifted in thought. "It may be appropriate at times. I am less brusque than most, but my spirituality may be equally unsettling." The Shaman chuckled. People were as they were; she took no offense if they found her ways 'strange' or even 'quaint.' "I will do what needs done for my people."

Naturally, Runi's gaze lingered on Maeve in turn. "And you? Following in your Father's footsteps?"

Maeve to the card, "Thank you this will make it easier to know where to go" then the subject that twisted her heart and spirit so much came up again, her father.

It was a nervous laugh that escaped from Maeve, "me like my Dad, my Dad was a warrior, yhe Alor of Clan Ordo, a leader of warriors, he adopted everyone who needed a home, a family, he always tried to do the right thing....I'm not a warrior like him. He had big pawlike hands that made you feel like you could be squashed at any moment, he had a laugh that infected everyone, he lived a life he didn't just have life." She suddenly realized she was going on and on as she tended to do when it came to her Dad.

"My Buir could have been so many things but all he wanted was to farm a land that hated the plow, sing bawdy songs to my mother, and love all of us as much as he could. And of course he liked a good fight. No...I'm not my Dad."

There it was again that sinking feeling, "The same people that sang his praises, killed him. While I try to understand civil war and its purpose I have a hard time forgetting it was a brother in arms that took my Dad from me. My mother forgave Preliat Mantis Preliat Mantis she is that person that could. I find it hard to move forward as old as I am I still miss him."

She looked away, "Maybe one day I can honor him by learning the ways he held so dear. Part of me really wants to, maybe that's one reason coming was so easy because it gives me that chance to see a piece of it." She half smiled again.

"I'm sorry Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida I didn't mean to unload all of this on you."

Runi stared at the woman for a moment. An effort to explain the purpose of a civil war would go poorly, the Shaman wagered. It was a thing she could understand in a fashion, but would never advocate herself. Mandalorian should not fight Mandalorian -- but if one sought to kill you, you struck back.

Preliat Mantis. Clan Ordo. Names to remember conversing with Maeve Ar'klim.

"We all walk our own Paths," she echoed, "but we do not always need to walk them alone." it didn't offend Runi to hear more of Maeve and her family, or what might interest such a woman. "There are few Mandalorian that would not be willing to speak of our ways to someone eager to learn. Yet, do not trust one that does not understand the meaning of honor." Not that honor was a foolproof quality of a good soul. Plenty of honorable warriors had slain one another in the civil war. It was, at least, a barrier to guard against the thieves and liars that claimed to honor the Manda.

"You are always welcome to visit Resa, of course. The Mandokarla do not turn away those that seek to understand their self. Or their past." Often the past gave insight as to the present, which shaped the future. "You have the strength to move forward. When the time comes."

"What you do today honors his memory,"
the Shaman added with a nod, "tending to those in need, including vod that work to build a home for us all." Though Runi would want to be sure the woman would practice her combat skills to ensure her physical body was as strong as her heart. There was no need to rush such things.

Maeve nodded, she had certainly gotten more than she had though of when she accepted coming here. "Thank you, I will consider it. It would be difficult while I carry around this stone of sadness on my heart, but perhaps one day when I'm ready to have the stone removed I will come."

She smiled, "Let's get these goods off and to the people who need them"

It was a good visit, a good trip and it would be worth it if it helped anyone who needed it. There would be other times, and Maeve was certain she would seek them out in time. But she had to be ready.

Runi Kuryida Runi Kuryida

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom