Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Important: Should We Merge Our Military?

Should the Republic Merge the Army & Navy Into a Single Force?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please only vote with one character on your account. Multiple votes from the same writer will be discounted.

While I enjoy the idea of having two separate entities for our military, I feel that our number of active NFU members may not warrant the two separate branches. As such, I would like to open this poll that will close in two days to get a quick idea of who believes they are active and interested in merging the two groups into one.

The breakdown would likely end being this:

The Army, given its less active nature, would be merged into the Navy. The ranks of the Navy would remain as is, and those serving in the Army would be granted their equivalent rank in the Navy. Under this merge, those currently in the Army would simply be referred to as Marines. The two boards will be combined into a single forum, labelled The Galactic Republic Military. This would allow all of our NFUs easy access to the same information, to perform missions together without looking through multiple boards, and congregate all of our current information into a single board.

I will try and answer any and all questions, if you have them.

Kiyron

K
So it would basically be how the UNSC operates in Halo, assuming I understand that franchise properly?

@Kiyron I'm not too familiar with Halo. But the idea is that the military is a single unit labeled the Navy and the marines are a separate ground division, all of which hold the same ranking structure.

[member="Kiyron "]

From the sound of it I would say that it is very similar, if not identical to the UNSC. Only real difference is that fact that we are keeping the Navy's rank structure.

I have mixed feelings about this.

From an OOC standpoint, it certainly makes some sense to streamline things.

From an IC standpoint, I think it's going to sound a bit odd to start talking to "Commodores" and "Admirals" about leading their ground units. I think it might also be awkward to explain IC why there's a sudden massive shift in organization structure (though perhaps some it could be attributed to the Netherworld event).

I have an alternate idea, and that's to combine the Galactic Army and Navy forum into the proposed "Galactic Republic Military" forum, and to label threads and things generally as "military" or something similar for any NFU military people we have. However, the IC distinction between the two groups would remain, as would their ranks. What would people think about that?

[member="Gir Quee"]

Ideally, your way was my preferred method. The issue I found was that going through and looking at our active NFU member base, we just don't have the numbers to seemingly utilize two separate branches. Meaning lots of empty ranks, positions (I couldn't find someone suited to take the Grand General role), and a dead Army board. This would also give both branches the ability to access ground and starship armaments equally. This seemed to be the quickest way to ensure our active members all interact with one another, and perhaps in the future re-split the two if activity warrants it.

I think it could work, however there might need to be a bit if distinction for the ground forces ranks. Obviously it would sound funny for a commodore to command a ground forces unit. Perhaps have an equal rank for the ground forces commander. And in space the commodore would have rank and on the ground the other commander would have rank. Allowing each to be in control of the thing that they specialize in.

for the IC point of view it would be cool to have a couple of writers assigned to the fleets that preform ground forces. It would add a new dynamic to the writing of fleet battles and ground operations when there were two distinct points of view to write from. It would allow for the naval side of things to stop being involved on the ground side and allow the ground side to get fleet support. It we look at how the modern navies work their rank structure, you can see that there are still ground commander ranks in the Marines. And in times of war, the marines become a separate entity, with full respect and rights that the other branches have, while still falling under the umbrella of the Navy.

thoughts?

[member="Kayleigh Tyven"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Slate Estrada"] @Kiyron

Ok so judging by the responses thus far it would seem that those who have responded are:

• In favor of the military merge
  • Concerned about future rank structure
Here are my two proposals to address that concern:
  • Create a new rank structure that is universally appealing to those in the Army & Navy OR
  • Maintain current rank structure (And continue with the issue at hand where we don't have the member base to fill those separate ranks)
My concern with having two separate ranks as stated in the original post was that we just don't have the membership to fill two separate entities right now. If anyone has a different suggestion as to how to appropriately address that primary concern I have with two ranking branches I am entirely open to discuss it.

I understand that it may seem strange slightly from an IC perspective if we are all under the same ranking structure, but if the military is all one branch anyway, it would seem to make sense that a a person of the commodore rank (we can change that name, again), would have the same clout both in air and ground. Ranks can be re-arranged to be universally sounding. That's not a major issue.

This is your NFU military, I am just trying to make sure we all get the most out of it. :)

Thoughts? [member="Orick T'ane"] | [member="Gir Quee"] | [member="Kiyron"] | [member="Slate Estrada"]

[member="Kayleigh Tyven"]

Do it. Simply call it the Republic Defense Force, with Marines and Naval units.

Marines would be a highly trained, diverse, and logistically advanced force capable of serving aboard ships and conducting defense or boarding operations. They would also be trained in land combat and their respective circumstances.

The Defense Fleet would be capable of maritime operations, during peace and war. However, their operations would also extend to holding superiority within air sectors on planets. While also handling spaceborne ops, they'd also coordinate Close Air Support and deployment operations with the Marines.

(I write Pappy, a member of the Dreadguard, should any of you wonder why my Jedi account is posting here.)

[member="Castiel Lennox"] has a point, it'd be easily enough to rewrite some of the rank structure and the TO&E to make it feasible. With a few tweaks it should flow rather easily.

Seems the biggest issue is the rank structure, which is easily solved. With the completion of the event you can have a very easy reason to roll everything into one place from an IC standpoint.

How will these changes happen ICly?
Will we act as if this merger has been in effect since the start of the Galatic Repulbic, or will it be implemented as a completely new thing?

Either way I do not have a problem with this, I'm just curious.

[member="Slate Estrada"]

It would be appropriate to make this an IC change handed down from the fallout of the Netherworld event. Numbers in the Republic will be diminished, and the military will have felt the effects just as well. This will give us reason to consolidate our forces, while simultaneously giving us the ability to re-branch in the future should our NFU activity warrant it.

Does that sound agreeable to everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom