Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm Still Not Sure What I Stand For...

Well some nights, I wish that this all would end
'Cause I could use some friends for a change
And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
Some nights, I always win, I always win

But I still wake up, I still see your ghost
Oh Lord, I'm still not sure what I stand for, oh
What do I stand for? Oh what do I stand for? Most nights, I don't know

The wind whipped through the hollow alleys from building to building, somehow alive despite the tower skyscrapers far above. Down here the sound of speeders was muffled, a distant reminder of the luxurious life lived in the levels high above their own. Down here, it was more likely to catch a glimpse of a wanted criminal or crime lord as opposed to the senators and celebrities above.

Ara hugged her cloak closer, finding comfort in the rough threads of the woven fabric. The hood was pulled up high, hiding her features in shadow. She stood against the side of the building, eyeing the edge of the rooftop patio a mere 30 feet away. She'd chosen this location, above a bar she'd frequented, but away from the prying eyes of neighboring buildings. The small, three story establishment was nestled in a back corner, surrounded on two of three sides by taller buildings that went mostly unused, their windows blocked for the first few floors against break-ins and wandering eyes.

She waited for the representatives of the First Order, having been approached weeks ago by an independent agent hiding amongst Coruscant's street gangs. She'd been a fixture long enough to grab attention despite her attempts to extricate herself from her past youthful mistakes. But she was intrigued by their offer. Join the order and be one of an elite group of soldiers. She had very little other information, but it was enough to get her to agree to the meeting. Ara had been assured that there would be no more than two others meeting her. Gender, age, species, those were still to be determined.

Glancing at the door to her right that opened onto the patio, she stepped away from the wall, taking a few steps towards the short ledge that divided the patio from open edge. Halfway to the side, she could make out the sharp drop, the gap between buildings. Her pulse spiked, breathing sharpened, her hands shaked, as she clenched her fists and willed herself closer. It had been five years since she'd almost fallen from the edge of a building similar to this one, an experience that resulted in a paralyzing fear of heights. One more step, then another. Eight feet away and she could see the concrete below, the alley that was littered with trash and dead technology. She gulped and lost her nerve, a sheen of sweat blanketing her face.

Quickly she retreated back, slamming her back against the wall as if she could anchor herself there and never move. A quick swipe with the edge of her cloak removed the signs of her venture. She hoped the representatives the Order sent would attribute her faster than normal breathing and heart rate to her nervousness at the strange meeting and not so something as silly as fear. No, it wouldn't do at all.

And so she leaned back against the wall and waited.

[member="Isla Ashen"] | [member="Samka Derith"]

Coruscant Undercity​
gsQacPa.png
They were in one of the quieter parts of Coruscant's Undercity. Even here the distant thuds and beats from clubs could be heard from time to time while shifting neon lights flickered in the distance. Surely it was too early for night life? But Samka supposed it was difficult to tell night from day down here so why bother? Every so often the siren of Coruscant's Underworld Police would echo through the streets and put her on edge. Sam wasn't paranoid but she was aware that this planet was now under the jurisdiction of a galactic power which would not tolerate their presence here if it knew so being ready her fight or flight instincts were bubbling near the surface even if outwardly, she appeared an ordinary teenage girl.

Her personality of choice today? Bubbly. Not too much that it would bring the Ren unwanted attention but enough to deliberately attempt to wind up her companion. "Come ooon, sis! We're almost there! Hur-ry!" Sam was several steps in front of her 'sister', [member="Isla Ashen"], swaying her upper body clockwise then counter-clockwise over and over as a gesture of impatience. Once the elder Ren had closed the distance, Sam shot up a tiny, knowing grin. Before departure, Samka had convinced the red head that her stand choice of... fashion, if the dregs Isla usually wore could be classed as such, would simply not fly on a world as prestigious as Coruscant, even in the Undercity. So here she was, clad in something skin tight and uncomfortable that the teenager had picked out herself. Instead of boots there were heels, instead of a cloak and hood there were shorts and a vest cut just a little too low and a little too tight to be comfortable. Samka on the other hand was much too young for such a look, no, she wore a navy skirt (longer than the last skirt she'd worn around Isla which had caused a minor wardrobe incident. Lessons were learned.) and an unremarkable loose fitting shirt with a shawl around her shoulders. The teenager knew who had the better deal of the two's dress code, hence the little smile. This way however, they both blended in with the usual crop of residents and clubbers around these parts.

Turning a corner to a small ally way, Samka didn't need a map of coordinates to find this soul. She could feel them. Intentionally or not this potential recruit was calling out, begging to be found and they were just a few stories above them. Sam bounced to the entrance of the building they were directed to,a bar of some kind, they were to pass through and meet the recruit above. "Ta-da!" she said, opening the doorway but gesturing for Isla to enter first. "Lead the way, girl!"

[member="Ara Ren"]

It was quite possible that Isla Ashen had never felt so out of place in her entire life.

A girl from the farmlands of Skye, she rarely ventured into the city. That is, until she joined the fold of the Ren. Since then, she had seen many great cities. But this place was not one of them. While she was no stranger to soil, mud, and blood… she was still in awe of how dirty this place appeared. It was a dark and dank place; it seemed that even the sun did not dare to peek in, for there was only the strange illumination from artificial lights. A quick glance around quickly told the story of the colorful folk that chose to call the Undercity home.

The personality chosen for her today? Harlot, apparently. Isla scowled at [member="Samka Derith"] as they continued down the grimy sidewalk, her displeasure was apparent in the narrow-eyed stare aimed at the teen. She was lagging behind the cheerful visage of her fellow Ren, her feet stuffed awkwardly inside a pair of high heels. How did women walk in these terrible shoes? Surely they were some kind of torture device, not true footwear. Isla had immediately cursed her decision to let Samka assist with her outfit choice for this outing, but she had been convinced that the younger woman was more in tune with such things.

Isla’s hands simultaneously attempted to pull her shirt down and her low cut pants up in an effort to cover her midsection. It was no use, so she simply crossed her arms to cover the bare skin. At least her shade of paleness seemed to fit in well, for her skin was the kind that looked like it had never once seen the sun. Shuffling to catch up with Samka, she tried to ignore the feeling that prying eyes were upon her.

“Sure thing, little sis.” She said, the corner of her mouth twitched into what could have been a smile.

Indeed, the two women were not related. However, the guise of siblings had worked out for them once before. Isla passed through the doorway, immediately she squinted into the neon lights. For a moment, she let her eyes simply wander her new surroundings. The patrons of the bar were just the sort one would expect to see in a place like this, but they barely spared a glance for the Ren duo that entered. She could feel the presence of the one they were to meet; it was beckoning to them, wishing to be found. With a nod of her head, she motioned for Samka to follow along as they approached the stairs.

They were able to slip by without issue, and Isla held tight to the railing as her shoes clicked their way up. Emerging from the door at the top, Isla took in the view from the roof, her hand held the door open just until Samka had exited as well.

“Greetings.” Isla said simply, her eyes immediately found the form of [member="Ara Ren"] against the wall.

Growing up in the slums of Undercity meant that Ara was used to all manner of strange beings. Between the bars, clubs, drug dens, and docks, she was sure she'd seen everything. Until the two woman stepped onto the roof and greeted her. The woman blinked, taking in the flame red and bright purple hair. They were not what she expected at all. The younger of the two was short, barely over five feet, and sported an outfit that was simple and feminine, a long skirt, shirt, and shawl. The taller woman looked like a harlot. Or a teenager trying to be a harlot. Although she looked to be around Ara's age, the outfit was obviously picked out by someone who thought less clothing meant fitting in. Ara snorted back a small laugh, having seen many similar outfits from tourists trying to find a good time down among the lowlifes of the glittering city.

They were definitely NOT what she had expected when she'd set up this meeting. She glanced at her own outfit, resisting the urge to shift uncomfortably. Her black cloak with red lining was standard fare for outings, paired today with chunky black boots, matching tight pants, and a loose, but fine white shirt. A dark red vest hugged her ribs and shaped her torso, showing off every curve.

Ara stepped away from the wall and bowed slightly out of respect. The power she felt rolling off both women meant that they were, indeed, the ones she was here to meet, despite their unexpected appearances. She could only assume the two younger women had been sent as a way to put Ara at ease. In truth, she was slightly disappointed, men were so much easier to engage with, or at least coerce information from. She had little experience interacting closely with her own gender in the past few years, this would require some adjustment.

"Good evening. Pleasure to meet you." Her voice was soft, lilting, with a slight purr that she found she couldn't turn off if she tried, and she rarely tried. "My name is Ara." It was the name she'd been using for close to 7 years now and the only one she answered to.

The door closed behind them and Samka's body language changed immediately. An innocent smile faded, replaced by a conceited grin.

"Ara," Sam repeated and took several steps towards the woman. She hovered around, circling [member="Ara Ren"] with curious eyes while probing her with the Force. "Well aren't you a pretty little thing?" she stated. "Strong. Seemingly confident and yet..." Sam paused, stopping her movements directly in front of Ara's face. "I sense fear in you." The youngest girl chuckled slightly, "That's good. Gives us plenty to work with."

Sam moved away to sit carelessly at the edge of the rooftop, she knew even if she should slip, with the Force the teenager would land unharmed, she'd jumped further distances before.

"So tell me," Sam brushed a strand of purple hair from her face as she asked three key questions, "Why did you bring us out here? What do you know about us? And why should we take you?"

[member="Isla Ashen"]

Now that they were away from the crowds on the street, Isla relaxed just slightly – just enough for her shoulders to appear less ridged. She felt awkward without the shelter of her dark cloak, and she only hoped that this potential new recruit understood that her current outward appearance did not represent who they truly were. The flame-haired knight took a couple of steps forward, her emerald gaze swept over the young brunette that had just introduced herself as Ara. Her arms crossed in front of her, but she offered a polite nod as a greeting.

Isla aimed a sidelong glance at her Ren companion, Samka was already addressing Ara. And from what she could tell, her fellow knight seemed to be enjoying the feeling of superiority. But she knew that the lavender-haired woman was correct in her assessment of Ara. There was darkness about her, and a sense of fear that they could use to mold her into a member of the Ren. She had potential.

It was true, the Ren were far from home today. They would rarely venture into this territory without reason. Isla was interested to find out how Ara had heard about them, and to know an outsider’s perspective. They were an organization to be feared, to be sure, but they were not chaotic monsters like some of the other darksiders that roamed the galaxy. If Ara joined their numbers, she would be contributing to something great – the Supreme Leader’s vision.

“Yes, please tell us what you seek to gain.” Isla spoke simply, her tone even and neutral.

[member="Ara Ren"], [member="Samka Derith"]

Ara watched as the lavender haired girl circled her. She resisted the urge to step towards the girl in challenge when her personal space was invaded, relaxing against the wall instead. She would treat them cordially and respectfully unless they did something to warrant otherwise. After all, they might be part of the same team someday, and enemies were not the ones you wanted at your back. She smiled cockily as the girl complimented her looks, it was her best feature after all, one she played up to it's fullest potential.

Her silky smile faded slightly as she mentioned fear, her gaze cutting to the edge of the roof and back, quickly, almost unnoticeable. Her semi-relaxed stance against the wall went rigid as the young woman sat on the edge without fear of falling. In truth it was a short fall, even if one did not have the benefit of the Force to protect them, unlikely to do more than break a few bones. She swallowed and focused on the other knight on the roof, who was standing at a respectful distance from the edge.

"Why did you bring us out here? What do you know about us? And why should we take you?"

“Yes, please tell us what you seek to gain.”

Biting her bottom lip in thought, Ara decided to be honest, but cautious. "I brought you out here because I'd be a fool to travel to you without any knowledge or promises, wouldn't I? Besides, I don't exactly have my own transport." She motioned to the slums around them and laughed humorlessly. She didn't feel it was pertinent to mention that she'd never traveled on a ship or even been off of her home planet. Judging by her reaction to a simple multi-story building, it was an experience she was willing to put off for as long as humanly possible.

"My contact gave me little information past the fact that you have the ability to harness the Force, as I do, you value order, and you follow your leader with absolute certainty. I know you are members of the First Order, but work separately from them. I know that most do not even know you exist. But I do, because someone thought I should." She remembered the masked figure who first approached her in the very bar they stood above. He, and she was only assuming it was a he, had shown her a very short, obscure hologram. But it had been enough to pique her interest and agree to a meeting, on her turf.

"What do I have to gain?" That was the easier question to answer, and so she chose to. "I gain the chance to learn how to use the abilities I've avoided all my life." She motioned to the streets bellow and let a little of the frustration and loneliness that had built over years of being on the streets leak into her voice. "Spend even a month on these streets and see how much the chance to work with those who value you for your skills appeals to you. How much the simple idea of being a part of a team appeals to you. It's simple, I gain knowledge and a few who may not stab me in the back for a few credits."

The explanation felt slightly off. Not untrue exactly, but unfinished. As if Ara wasn't even fully sure herself. But something about that man and that hologram drew her in and made her want to stay.

Noticing Ara's posture change as she sat on the roof top's edge, Sam reclined slightly, further goading the girl.

She nodded along at each of Ara's answers in turn, sensing nothing but the truth coming from her. She spoke of the difficulty finding reliable team mates just as Samka cast her eyes down to a commotion on the streets finding a heated argument between a Rodian and a Besalisk bouncer which ended with the Rodian slammed face first onto the ground. "I can see that," the teenager commented. "You grow up in a place without law and it makes sense you would desire it." Already ideas on how to test the girl began to float in Sam's mind.

"The First Order stands for the good governance on behalf of the people, to create a safe and secure society," she explained, "crime, resistance, radical ideas, they must all be stamped out for the benefit of all peoples. Cesspits such as this could never exist in our territory, they would be cleansed with righteous force and we," she gestured with a nod of her head towards [member="Isla Ashen"], "would make certain of it. For all the military power in the galaxy can never compare with what people like you and I can offer, Ara." As she spoke, Samka began to summon small crackles of Force Lightning from her finger tips. It wasn't an attack, it was a display. The tiny streaks of Lightning crackled and buzzed and Sam began to play around with them, letting the electrical bolts twist between her fingers and transfer from hand to hand before crunching her fist into a ball and allowing the blue Lightning to disappear. "So," she continued, "we stay in the shadows and make certain those less gifted still stand for what is right."

Sam cast her eyes over at her companion to see if the elder Ren had anything to add, if not then they could begin to test if this girl were truly suited to walk amongst them.

[member="Ara Ren"]​

Ara’s apprehension did not go unnoticed; Isla could almost feel the jump in her own stomach. Her eyes tracked in the direction of [member="Samka Derith"], noticing how she sat perched on the ledge. Isla could sympathize with the brunette, for she had her own fear of being enclosed. It was not as crippling as it had once been; her time with the Ren had mostly cured her. Lessons had been painfully etched on her skin, the irrational fear was weakness, and it rarely touched her now. But that was not to say that there were never times when it crept to the front of her mind…

Isla’s sharp gaze came to rest on [member="Ara Ren"] as she spoke her piece. There was ambition, there was a thirst for knowledge and skill, and there was the wish to be a part of something larger – the foundations were clearly there. The camaraderie found within the ranks of the Ren had been a draw for Isla as well, no longer was she an outcast.

As Samka began to provide their new recruit with a brief outline of their ideals, Isla let her head bow forward slightly. She did not have much to add to the explanation, so she kept her words decidedly simple. “You will have all that you desire, should you decide to give your life to our cause. It is a bond that cannot be broken.”

Isla took a few steps towards Ara; any benevolence in her expression had faded. Harsh eyes bore down into Ara’s, and her head canted to the side.

“Choose your path now.” She said in a low tone, “If you join us – how will you prove your loyalty?”

It was her wish to see how Ara would react to a bit of pressure, and how far she was willing to go. Of course, if chose to remain in their company, there would certainly be more trials to overcome at the Academy on Skye. This was merely the beginning. As if to punctuate her point, Isla drew the saber that was hidden beneath what little fabric existed of her top. Her posture was neutral; she stood tall but not overly threatening. She took one step closer, watching to see if Ara would instantly submit, or if she would stand her ground.

Ara turned away from watching [member="Samka Derith"] lean further over the ledge, her stomach in her throat even though she was far from the edge. The woman was taunting her, she could feel it, but for now she'd chose to ignore it. As the sounds of a scuffle floated up from the alley above, she merely shook her head, too used to the arguments and skirmishes of the slums.

Her gaze snapped back to the purple haired girl as lightening began to dance around her fingertips. Ara's eyes widened slightly, tracking the small bolts of electricity as they passed between her hands. She's heard of the ability to control lightning but had never seen the power for herself. It was mesmerizing, the simple power available at a mere thought. As easily dismissed as it was summoned, the electricity vanished, leaving her to meet the girl's crimson gaze. Before she could be unnerved completely by the serious expression and unerringly unnatural eyes, both of their attention turned to the third member of their group.

Previously the less dominant of the two knights, she stepped up, close enough to Ara to make the woman uncomfortable. Her expression and her words left little to the imagination what would happen if Ara refused their offer. If she chose not to pledge loyalty to the shadowy knights, she had no doubt that she would be yet another casualty of war.

"My life to your cause in exchange for everything I've just asked for? Is that all?" She laughed coldly, lacking humor. Her life was a simple enough thing to give, it was worth little as it was. She was tired of coming home to an empty apartment, tired of acting and pretending just to convince someone to pay for a meal or a new outfit. She needed a place to belong, to be safe, and to be worth more than her looks.

Her expression hardened as well, pushing off the wall to stand tall. She was shorter than [member="Isla Ashen"] but met her gaze boldly, refusing to back down from the question. She'd faced far worse situations than a simple threat and this was no different. "How do you suggest I prove my loyalty? An oath? A pledge? How about I just offer to open a vein right her to prove I'm serious? My path is clear, and it is not here among the dirt and the beggars." Her cockiness overrode the anxiety and for a brief few moments even the fact that they stood forty feet above the street below disappeared from Ara's mind.

Samka smiled at Ara's sudden turn to boldness, standing strong to face her [member="Isla Ashen"]. "Good," she nodded approvingly, "But words are easy things to say, we must know your ability, not just your willingness."

Sam hopped to her feet and turned to lean over the rooftop, resting on her arm. She gazed over the horizon, through the dirty crime infested streets of the undercity. In the background she could hear the siren of one of the Coruscant underworld police speeders blaring. "If you value order," she spoke slowly, never taking her eyes back from the street. "Perhaps you should catch them. Beat the police to it and kill the perpetrator. Just a small show of power to the forces of instability."

The teenage Ren pulled her attention back from the streets and to the women next to her. "For my test I travelled to the world of Ambria, an acidic wasteland of a planet strong in the Dark Side. There I fought the Hssiss. Lizard like creatures over two meters long. Near-immune to the Force, skin able to resist a lightsaber and a ferocious temperament, naturally. Snatching a criminal from the jaws of the law sounds quite simple in comparison."

"Wouldn't you agree?" She cocked her head towards Isla.

[member="Ara Ren"]​

Isla noted the cold laughter that followed Ara’s answer. Despite the humorless chuckle, there did not seem to be any hesitation present in her tone. It was an honor to life and die for the Supreme Leader, if there if there was any doubt – she would learn to resolve it during her training. Her emerald orbs remained fixed and unflinching as [member="Ara Ren"] stepped forward, her own gaze just as harsh. Good, she was pleased to see that the young brunette did not back down.

She glanced to the side at [member="Samka Derith"], and let her fellow Knight speak. Yes, words were only part of the trial. A dark smile tugged at the corner of her lips. “Perhaps a demonstration is in order.” She nodded, and listened as the lavender-haired girl proposed a sound plan.

Catching a criminal seemed a simple task; after all, this place was crawling with them. She could easily snatch one away, the streets of the Undercity would not miss them. As if on cue, the sound of sirens echoed all around them. Reaching out, Isla could sense a swift-beating heart – there was fear. It would offer the recruit a trail to follow.

“Yes, I agree.” Isla said, turning her eyes back to Ara. “Simple, indeed.”

The redhead took a step back and tucked the saber hilt away once more. She nodded towards the streets below; there was already a pursuit in progress. This test would reveal Ara’s current skill level, her willingness to follow orders, and it would also give them a chance to glean more about the way she carried herself. Would she slip into the shadows and make a clean kill? Would she charge forth in a brazen manner and confront the criminal? Only time would tell…

“Ara – you should go now. We will follow your progress.” Isla’s emerald eyes fell across each building that lined the street, the two Knights could easily jump from one to the next.

Ara glanced out over the rooftops, listening to the sirens wailing. She had no experience accessing the Force by choice, but her hearing was excellent. A product of being all but night-blind, she knew her hearing was far better than most, depending on it alone when the lights of the city faded in the back alleys. She smiled and bowed slightly to both ladies.

"As you wish."

Without waiting, she slipped out the door and down to the main bar on the first floor. The speeder was a few streets over, heading East. She could intercept it if she ran fast enough. She'd have to be faster and smarter than she'd been before. The patrons of the bar barely looked up as she passed, the scowl on her face warning any would-be flirts to keep their distance.

A quick check of her vest reassured her that the blade she kept with her for protection was safety tucked away into it's pocket above her left rib cage. She left it where it rested, taking off into a run as soon as she crossed through the doorway onto the grimy streets of the slum district.

East. She could head south and cut over...she listened for the sirens, noting that they were closer than before, but still muffled by the buildings surrounding them. She hadn't run full out like this in years. It was harder than she remembered, her breathing labored and each fall of the foot making her legs feel twice as heavy as they had a moment before. She ignored the cat-calls and angry curses as she darted in and out of groups of tourists, residents, and night-dwellers.

She crossed one of the raised bridges, keeping her eyes straight ahead and biting her lip. She would NOT look down. Fifteen feet. Ten feet. Five feet. She was across the bridge and skidding around the corner before she could think. Skidding to a stop, she placed her hands on her knees and took a moment to breath deep and gather her bearings.

A siren sounded nearby, the energy pulsing around her reacting to another being. The energy erratic and as frantic as her own. She'd found them. Smiling softly, she slipped into the shadows and turned down an alley, searching for her prey.

Samka merely stood, hands held together, with a smile as [member="Ara Ren"] departed. Once she the door back inside was shut and Sam was certain the potential recruit was out of earshot, she turned her head to [member="Isla Ashen"].

"Well?" She asked the red head for her views. "Promising but needs just a tad of discipline, wouldn't you say?"

Sam didn't need to see Ara to know where she was, the woman had a unique Force signature and one far stronger than any other nearby. All she needed to do was walk a few steps to the edge of the rooftop and jump to the next building. This way it was relatively easy for the young gymnast to keep up with the girl dashing on the ground.

With a series of flips and leaps, Samka crossed the urban landscape, ready to jump down by Ara's side at any moment. She noted the habits of the undercity residents with disdain. Quite how anyone could live here without going mad, the teenager was unsure.

After crossing a bridge, Ara slowed. She was close so what would she do now? Was she a subtle attacker or did she prefer brute force. Either way the police wouldn't be far behind...

Alone on the rooftop with [member="Samka Derith"], the two knights had a moment to give their appraisals of [member="Ara Ren"]. Turning, she let her gaze meet Samka’s and she offered a nod of agreement.

“Yes, there is potential.” Isla started, “I sense that her force powers may still be awakening.”

Of course, there was always the chance that the young brunette was masking her true power. However, Isla did not get that distinct impression. Ara had seemed earnest in her desire to join them. In any case, her journey was only beginning… and she would have much to learn. But they all had to start somewhere.

Much like her fellow Ren, she was able to follow the presence of Ara, though she was out of sight. Isla watched as Samka gracefully crossed between buildings. The young Knight even… flipped through the air. Isla shook her head, but allowed a smirk to appear on her face. Following after the lavender-haired girl, she used the force to boost her speed and power her jumps. While she was not fancy in her approach or especially nimble, she got where she needed to go.

Her eyes pierced the distance, gazing towards the bridge where Ara had just crossed. And then, she could no longer see the brunette. It appeared that she was now waiting to make her strike. Isla raised her chin slightly, this would be interesting…

There was a figure hidden in the shadows down a ways, she could barely make out the shapes of garbage heaps, broken signs, and doorways as she slipped into the alley. Her Hapan heritage was a detriment in these situations, as the lights and sounds of the busy streets faded away, so did her ability to pick out details and colors from her surroundings. She moved slowly, feeling each step carefully to avoid tipping off her target.

She debated how to approach the figured who was desperately attempting to break a lock on a nearby building. Ara squinted, eyeing her surroundings and attempting to judge distant. If she was right, the doorway was connected to an old droid storage unit, connecting to multiple store fronts on the main thoroughfare. She shook her head silently, stupid idiot.

If he made it into the building before she reacted him, her mission would grow exponentially more intricate and difficult. She sided over and kicked a pile of discarded scrap metal over, the clamor and clang of falling metal pieces echoing down the alley. As expected, the man whirled and threatened, a blaster held in one hand.

Stumbling forward, the girl knocked into another pile of crap, letting out a hiccupping laugh, one hand raised to cover her mouth. "I'm such a-" Hiccup. "Hey, that was really LOUD." She giggled at her own raised voice and stepped forward again, doing her best to imitate a drunken girl lost in an alley. The man lowered his weapon slightly, buying the act.

"He'ya betta get outa here afore some'un gets hurt."

She couldn't place the accent, but the growl in his voice meant that he wasn't bluffing. She ducked her head and stumbled again, watching him from her long locks. Using the wall as support, she tumbled to the ground and burst out laughing. The move was used simply to hide the act of drawing a small blade from a pocket of her vest.

"Why would-" Hiccup. "-Get hurt? Ehhh, it's just-" Laugh. "Us right?" She glanced around dramatically as if there was someone waiting for them in the shadows. He was close enough now that she could make out more details, and the soft side beneath his ribcage where his jacket gaped open.

There. That would be her target. She narrowed her eyes to slits and leaned her head back, letting it loll on her shoulders as if it was too difficult to maintain. She held her left hand in front of her and smiled at the man.

"Why don'tya help me....up." Her smile widened and she was thankful for years spent frequenting bars. "I'll find some niiiiice way to say thank you." Another fit of giggles combined with a slight purr grabbed his attention. She smiled softly as he tucked the weapon into his waistband, head swinging around right and left as the sirens of the police speeder grew closer.

She assumed he was thinking about the drunk woman being a useful hostage if needed, it was what she would do in the same situation. Good, let him try. The man stepped forward and grasped her hand, pulling to tug her to her feet. She let his strength pull her up, stumbling to send her weight against his. Her blade slid easily between his ribs from beneath his jacket. Warm blood flowed over her hand as she twisted the blade.

She didn't say anything as he collapsed, her strength the only thing supporting the two of them. Letting his body drop, she pulled her blade free and used the edge of her crimson cloak to clean it. "Idiot."

The sounds of sirens grew and she glanced to the far end of the alley, wondering how best to escape without garnering her own share of police attention.

She approved. There was a similarity to her own methods in how [member="Ara Ren"] operated. They both used deception which complimented their appearances to achieve their goals. While it was one thing to fool a thug on the streets and another to deceive an Alliance Admiral or Jedi Knight, it was a promising start. Then she killed him, simply and effectively without a hint of remorse. With a nod given to [member="Isla Ashen"], Samka silently jumped down into the alleyway.

She'd approach Ara again from the shadows, a bright smile on her youthful face contrasting with the stench from the alley and, of course, the dead man at her feet.

"Good," Sam said almost skipping along to Ara's side. She kicked the corpse over to his front to better inspect the damage, noting the blood oozing from his side. "Small concealed blade, Puncture through, no, between the ribs. No screams or cries for help, you likely penetrated his lungs. Impressive if intended." She offered another small smile up at the potential recruit.

"Look at him," she said a little quieter. "Look at his eyes, now so empty. How do you feel Ara? What if you were told this man steals to feed his elderly mother? Or a sick son?" The sound of police sirens grew louder still but the teenage Ren would not shift an inch from her spot. "Would that change anything? And how would such a fact make you feel?"

Every response would be analysed carefully. Ara was indeed promising but an ideological connection had to be established before she could be brought into the fold.

Ara shrugged off the compliment, unwilling to admit that the punctured lung was a fluke, but a beneficial one. She glanced from [member="Samka Derith"] to [member="Isla Ashen"], before turning her attention to the body at her feet.

His death reverberated through the force, the warmth and power curling deep in her soul. Her mouth quirked up in a smile, her gaze never breaking from the man at her feet.

"Would it matter?"

She moved around the body, tilting her head, sending her hair cascading over one shoulder.

"He'd die anyway. His mother would die anyway. His son. He steals to delay the inevitable, but death is coming for everyone."

She raised her gaze to Samka's, no remorse, no guilt, no doubt present in her eyes.

"You ask how I feel." She flexed her hands and closed her eyes, trying to find the words to describe the feeling of peace and power flowing over her. "I feel in control. I feel powerful."

It was simple, and selfish. She killed because she'd been told to. Because it felt good. She'd never been a saint, but the power flowing through her demanded blood. She would give it what it craved, but on her terms. Her gaze returned to the two knights with her. On their terms.

Isla knelt next to the ledge; the words exchanged in the alleyway below were easily heard. From this place on high, she could see the interaction taking place, too. She immediately took note that [member="Ara Ren"] had chosen to use her wiles to lure the man into her trap. It seemed effective, even if it was not a strategy that the redhead ever sought to use herself. As Ara’s blade drew blood, not only could she see the red pool forming on the ground, she could feel it in the force – it was growing cold.

She returned the nod given to her by [member="Samka Derith"], and quickly followed suit. The two Knights stood in the alley now, the man’s body at their feet. Isla gave Ara a small nod of approval as Samka spoke up.

The answers that Ara formed were a much needed glimpse into her thoughts. Her words were honest and true, Isla did not feel the need to delve deeper for the time. She studied the brunette as she revealed that she felt powerful. Indeed, she remembered this feeling quite well. When she had first joined the Ren, she had reveled in every kill, and taken immense pleasure in knowing that her own power only grew. But now, it was different.

“Now, remember this feeling.” Isla spoke, “But know that you will no longer gain power for your sake alone, but for the First Order. You have aided the cause today, and have ridden the street of one more criminal. From this day forth, you will continue to do so – but in the name of the Supreme Leader. Let his will fuel your fight. Hail Sieger. ”

It was not her wish to be heavy-handed, but she did wish to impress the importance of their unified goal. Ara had all the makings of a fine Knight of Ren, but she needed discipline in order to truly become an instrument of the Supreme Leader.

“We should get moving,” Isla nodded to the two women, “But if you have any questions of us, please ask.” She prompted Ara.

Ara bowed in thanks and respect to both women, one last glance at the body between them curling her mouth into a sly smile. She straightened and listened to the red-head's speech with a steely gaze. She nodded once, sharply, in acknowledgement and acceptance, although she did not repeat the verbal salute, still not completely devoted to this mysterious and unknown leader the way the two knights in front of her were.

She would do as ordered and do well, because this is what she longed for, a true place to belong. To be part of a unit that valued her position and strength as much as she valued theirs. If she had to devote her life to a Supreme Leader she'd never met, she could do it. She would do it.

"Thank you..." Her eyebrows furrowed as her mouth pulled up into a sly grin as she realized that neither had revealed their names. [color-gold]"May I ask how I should address you both as currently I am lacking for names, although you know mine."[/color] Her tone was light-hearted and playful. She understood greatly the need for secrecy, especially when either woman could predict how this meeting would go when they first met.

As the taller woman referenced moving, Ara glanced back at the city she could see through the distant opening of the alleyway. They were not the type to waste time and for a moment she hesitated. Coruscant had been her home for 22 years. She'd never known anything else except the slums, the dirt, the noise, and the smells of the lower levels of the metropolis. Now, she was expected to just...leave it all behind without a moment to even collect her thoughts.

She closed her eyes and remembered the feeling of her blade sliding between the man's ribs, the connection with the Force, and the overwhelming sense of rightness their entire encounter had contained. She was on the correct path. Coruscant and the G17 district were already long gone from her thoughts.

She opened her eyes and offered a simple smile, she could collect her things later, if they even mattered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom