Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If a person can be an asset and/or a liability, why can't a person be equity?

Maybe the whole business was not over. She knew that there had to be more to offer than just hotel rooms, a pool and a formal fine-dining restaurant to entice guests to come. Currently I know the profits of 10 room bays to be ca. 2500-3000 credits/night depending on what rooms are in there, but the question is: how much extra revenue can I get out of the other rooms with the bar open? If about a quarter of the space is to be earmarked for non-revenue purposes, I may only make about half as much, having estimated that, with a 7,000-credit nightly revenue, I'm getting only ca. 1800 credits in profits. That's without adding a cluster of video-sabacc and/or a cluster of video-pazaak machines, she thought, while realizing that, even if a pazaak or sabacc table manned by a sentient would feel different and is often more desirable to a sentient guest than a video-sabacc or video-pazaak machine, it was more, much more expensive to operate than a machine. Yet she was reminded of [member="Tanaski Yumi"] having booked a table for two in the wake of Barataria: in fact, he was coming at the hotel once again.

"Welcome to the Crown Nebula Hotel: what can I do for you today?"

After the heated, well more confusing battle with the Mando Empire Tana was looking for a break, but more then that interested to see how [member="Varindar Asyt"] hotel was going. Unfortunately Zavii seemed to be absent of late, himself unsure of where the perky dark skin Zabrak had run off to, maybe a holiday or some big adventure, he just hoped she was doing well. In the mean time their was not really much for him to do, Junko his master dealing with diplomatic stiff at home, mother off on some pandemic world and Sukai preparing for her knighting ceremony. Over all Tana was left with little people to hang out with, aside from Varindar, but the woman was always away running her hotel, so what a better way to hang out, have food and get away from the Silver Rest then to get a restaurant booking "Heya Asyt, how have things been, upgraded much since I last came"? he asked in the usual peppy voice getting close to the hotel manager, this time donned in a more casual outfit, a red sweater and short black pants.

"Next items on the upgrade list: a bar and also an additional floor. Looks like most of the complaints about a lack of vacancies came from the suite sector"

So the remaining bays shall be used to cover the suite issues. And only a handful of complaints from the regular room sector: each of the four major cities have one 3-star hotel apiece and, if another 4-star or 5-star hotel ever was to be built on Trandosha in the future, Hsskhor will most likely have it, she thought, while realizing that a wall shall be hit in the long run. Trandosha was no Zeltros and she knew it. And now, she was, in fact, wearing a white lace shirt, which was, as is usual with casual shirts she wears, sleeveless. As for the confusing nature of Barataria as an engagement, while she readily acknowledged that the Mandos were caught pants down on the ground, unlike [member="Tanaski Yumi"], she fought mostly in orbit. For the sixth time (or possibly more) she actually was to eat a meal at the hotel's restaurant, and she was, in fact, a regular, eating meals in there. As with all the meals she ate at the restaurant, she flashed the loyalty card - and the majordomo hands another one for Tana, as is usual for all customers that come in at least twice in a standard year, with the first two meals punched.

"Welcome to Bumba's Eatery, and your table is a terrace table this time around"

"The upper people complaining? did not think the suites would get a whole heap of business, but I am not surprised, rich people always have something to complaining about". Such people could take a page out of Jin culture and their value of simple things, not always pinning after the best of the best, not that seeking to improve your life was wrong. Looking over [member="Varindar Asyt"] is seemed she too was wearing casual clothing, the usual white laced outfit, her shoulders showing, she seemed to like doing that didn't she, was it a swimmer thing?

Contuining fowards he was greeted with a loyaly card, himself looking over the small item, grinning to himself a little, 'I wonder how many of there I would be able to fill and cash in over 5000 years'. Placing the card in his pocket the young Jin turned attention back to the hotel owner. "Any who I know a booked a table for two but I was not able to pick anyone to come with me today, are you busy at the moment? perhaps we could have another bite to eat".

"My shift is over, so I think I can eat now"

Complaining about a lack of vacancies means that the hotel is not able to keep up with demand, she thought. As for her preferring sleeveless clothing, it's more of a convenience thing, where normal clothing her size would be very stiff at the shoulders if it actually covered the shoulders. And, because even the Ta'jars used bromine to sanitize the pool back in the day, she doesn't smell of chlorine even though she knows that it's harder to get off her skin. Plus [member="Tanaski Yumi"] would probably know about the tan on her back or her legs that is, in fact, a result of years of swimming and betrays the one-piece swimming suits she wore over the years. But she was lucky that she was never asked about it. And the main question is: exactly what is that bite about? She definitely don't want to eat the same stuff over and over, but she had to keep her eyes on the menu. There had to be at most as many items on the menu as there were customers per day on an average day and ideally seats, whichever was smaller. With that said, she'd rather wish for two items on today's meal: garlic butter snails and duck confit. And choco lava cake à la mode.

"I suppose I'll have some garlic butter snails and duck confit; then again I've never been on Barkhesh, where these two items abound - and the garlic butter snails are served with a baguette of bread"

"luvoly, it's always best to dine with someone you familiar with"

Which was actually quite a statement considering out of all the people among the Silver Jedi [member="Varindar Asyt"] was one of his closets buddies and in any situation that involved paring up she was usually first pick. Weather it be piloting, training or anything else if Zavii or elder sister was not available the young Hotel owner was a an easy pick, unless someone else tried to snag the young Jin away, or groups where pre-assigned. Walking over to the dining area the two sat down in another casual setting, the romantic lighting, private feeling that was provided last time not being carried out this time around, a little disappointing but after all this was more a restaurant occasion and not a 5 star stay. That was unless Varindar offered him to stay over for the nigh the had yet to try out the regular rooms, or the new ones that had been installed since his last stay.

"Hmmm I think I will have the Beef bourguignon, some garic bread and for desert, ill order that now.... choco lava cake sound divine".

There are simply more of the regular rooms to go around; that is why there are not as many complaints about a lack of vacancies for the regular rooms than there were for suites. There are 40 standard rooms and only 12 suites, she thought, while the waiter was quick to take their orders, and realizing that dessert was usually not ordered at the onset. Unlike [member="Tanaski Yumi"]. And yet, she never sampled two items from the same cuisine on consecutive fine dining outings. There was a wide variety of cuisines, she probably accepted as much. She knew that food wasn't instant, so she might wish to talk about another topic than hospitality, swimming, crime or whatever the engagement of the day was, realizing that her guest probably has heard enough about these topics in previous encounters to last him through this one. Perhaps... cuisine. She isn't one to be an executive chef, but maybe she could cook on the road if push came to shove and that she could have access to ingredients. Even though it may not be fresh, she knows a thing or two about bad food, being fed on a diet of horrible food when the Ta'jars ran the hotel.

"So I may be wondering whether you have a specific recipe not on this menu that you would like to have on the hotel's menu? Something that is probably eaten by your master?"

Tana perked his head up upon hearing [member="Varindar Asyt"] question, which would be a hard one to answer correctly, not so much that he did not know and more about the wide range of different foods that he could say. "Um, well my master is Junko Ike, the princess of Atrisia, so she had access to literately anything in the galaxy, but if you wanted to add a meal to the menu, perhaps something Atrisian and fancy, really high class if you wanted something that my master would eat". Was this a question for possible high class members or people from the Ike family coming over to visit? They did seem to be everywhere in the Silver Jedi and associated with Sasori, ha Varindar invited some of them to the hotel but realized she did not have a dish suited for them? "But for a specific recipe I am not quite sure, unless you wanted a personal favorite of mine".

"Your garlic butter snails, garlic butter baguette of bread" the waiter told them while the two cloches were removed in front of them.

And, of course, two more cloches containing duck confit and Bourguignon beef (these were the Barkhesh-native names for those meals) were opened afterward. She found snails a little awkward to eat, but it tasted differently from other stuff she ate as appetizers. Looks like the Barkhesh line cook is a pretty good one, she thought, realizing that said cook was orphaned when the First Order attacked Barkhesh as one of the theaters in the Mustafar campaign. Meanwhile, [member="Tanaski Yumi"] would probably wish to start digging in the food, starting with the sliced garlic bread in a basket, and she ate the first snail, tasting like mussels with garlic butter. Speaking of mussels, she had one chance to eat it prior to today: on Ceraluen, after that 1600m IM that left her pretty hungry at the time. But she quickly realizes that it would fine to eat snails or mussels once, just not all the time. And neither were the meals from that restaurant, however tasty they were. It took about nine months to get 6 meals in at this restaurant, and she still had four more meals to go before she can get a free one in there.

"Do you want some garlic snails? I'll probably take some bread afterward"

Tana gave the waiter room as his own meal was delivered after [member="Varindar Asyt"]s, a small amount of steam rising from the freshly cooked food as it was placed in front of him, the smell being quite divine, but once more, a 5 star hotel, he'd expect no less. Taking hold of the basket he broke of a part of the garlic bread, making sure to savor it's taste before the two continued their conversation. "Oh you want to swap appetizers? sure I do not mind, what are the snail like anyways"? True being a vampire certain taste where different and a snail though strange in texture was actually more appealing to him then it would a normal human, but even so it would be interesting to see how she described the taste of it. "How did these things even become food choices in the first place? it is a Trandoian thing? because you know, lizards an all". If so it would explain how it got onto a 5 star menu, or was it just one of those strange foods that got popular because of it's unorthodox origins.

"On their own, Trandoshan snails taste like mussels. It's in fact a local dish"

I'm fairly sure the snails on Barkhesh taste different from the locally-sourced snails. My long-term list of go-to places mostly have to do with learning the cuisine and the related cooking methods: Atrisia, Barkhesh, to name a few, she thought, while liking the garlic bread in use at the hotel. And also realizing that she could probably bake hers at a much lower price than the hotel is charging for personal use on the road, regardless of whether she is baking the bread proper or just preparing garlic butter. [member="Tanaski Yumi"] must have wanted those snails for a long time, especially since it seemed exotic to him. And... duck confit. Popular in fine dining joints on Barkhesh and Naboo, on Trandosha duck confit was considered a specialty food. Here the duck confit recipe comprised potato slices, nuts, cheese and salad. The girl was all too eager to dig into the duck confit, while also realizing that she is absorbing calories like a Firrerreo, and not simply under protein form. She wouldn't be surprised if a Firrerreo cook would be adding protein-rich items on the menu if that cook became a divisional chef.

"Like fish hu, was not expecting that, but sounds like it takes nice" Then again there where sea snails, perhaps that was the reason, though he would expect they taste more like shrimp then anything else, but shrimp where crustations, not... what ever snails where, slugs maybe? He offered [member="Varindar Asyt"] a some of his bread while taking a bite from a snail, the texture being soft, like chicken that had not been all the way cooked, but the flavor that was very different. The garlic and soft meaty texture blended well together, and their bite size servings where quite nice as well, the small hunter like instinct inside Tana liking the taste of the once living animal.

"Hmmmm, I like it, but I better stick to my own meal for now, woun't want to eat all your food now would we", he joked turning back to his own meal, the Beef bourguignon smelling just as divine. "So, Varindar, what do you do for fun around here when off work? besides swimming, ever thought or adding an entertainment area to the lower areas of the hotel"?

"Or rather, some more entertainment options for the bar to open up on the fourth floor. However, between my Jedi and hotel duties, and my swimming training I have very limited time left"

Actually running the hotel as an island of integrity and transparency in a sea of scum and villainy was hard work, and a five-star hotel made matters worse. Even though the biggest complaint was a lack of suite vacancies, guests were much more demanding the higher the star rating of the hotel, and the conciergerie would need to be expanded along with the floor: the kind of guests that booked suites was typically much more demanding on the conciergerie than the other guests. And yet [member="Tanaski Yumi"] finally returned to his Bourguignon beef; Varindar, on the other hand, was happy to eat that sort of item right here - she knew that not everything could lend itself to a gourmet treatment, and that posed constraints to what she could eat at the restaurant for the remaining five items on that loyalty card. For the time being she'd make a mental list of what would instead fit in a bar's food menu, knowing that the stuff that don't fit on a gourmet menu will likely go to the bar menu. Food may be a pain for a bar manager, but there definitely are some guests that wouldn't go to a bar without eating, that much she knew.

"We know Tana already ordered dessert. What will it be for you?"

"Choco Lava Cake à la mode"

"Well that work, but I am not much of a business planner, what if up there at the moment anyways? might be interesting to check out at some later point in time". Mainly being as he only booked for a restaurant stay, unless [member="Varindar Asyt"] wanted to rent a room out. "Well, seeing that you enjoy swimming quite a lot I would maybe count that as having fun, and I'd never get broad of seeing you in the water", he replied, taking part of his main meal.

Soon both had finished their respective meal, filling, yet not overly stuffy, the right amount to leave room for desert, or perhaps Tana was just hungry, either way the Choco Lava Cake was an item of anticipation, himself not being surprised that Varindar wanted the same thing. "Ehheheheh, you wanted a lava cake well? I would think that you've already taste tested everything here on the desert menu".

"That was the final item I had yet to eat from the dessert menu"

Now that the two Choco Lava Cakes à la mode were being delivered in the same cloche, apparently wide enough to fit two plates in the cloche, each plate with a separate slice and spoon, but six items on the dessert menu? True, five-star fine dining restaurants tended to feature less items than lower-rated restaurants of a similar size, but it was perhaps a function of the prices being charged, and with 40-50 items between appetizers and main courses, that was still a lot. And yet maybe [member="Tanaski Yumi"] didn't get tired of seeing her in the water in a variety of swimming suits because he knew exactly what kind of swimming champion she was. Now her thoughts drifted towards her attitude towards swimming meets. He must have watched every meet/sting operation of mine on holovid - these days I only swam meets if they doubled as sting operations, so I don't enter as many races as I used to, even though I took care to enter many different races as appropriate given my track record, when the opportunity to enter a meet on a sting operation arises. After all, more races, more opportunities to catch those we want, she thought, before digging into the cake.

"Too good to be true"

"Oh what a coincidence, how many items are on the desert menu anyways? must be a lot for a 5 star hotel, or do you put more focus on actual meals".

Over fancy people who would usually attend a 5 star hotel probably where not the types that also divulged into a huge arrange of confectionery goods, well at lest not in the same sense a person like he would. As the elaborate looking cakes where placed in font of the two Tana noticed that [member="Varindar Asyt"] gaze seemed to wander, like a person deep in thought about something. Actually thinking about it more the Jedi Padawan tended to do that a lot, regardless of if she was in a large group or single conversation, well at least from his experience more often in one on one chats. Taking the provided spoot he dug into the cakes soft brown coating, taking a bite of the sweet gooey filling of chocolate, rich and beyond tasty.

"Hmhmmm, no falt there, also what you been thinking about? I've noticed you tend to space out into a thinking like state when with others a lot, or is that just a hotel thing, constantly having extra thoughts running through your mind"

"Six items on the dessert menu. I don't come to eat here that often; I'm six meals into my first loyalty card. As for the actual meals, there are about 35-40 items on the menu, which is pretty much an all-day menu"

True, six items on a dessert menu in a five-star restaurant this size didn't seem like much, but [member="Tanaski Yumi"] may not have remembered the dessert menu in that much detail for what she knew. Just that she didn't want to abuse a fringe benefit of her job as a hotelier. Because there is one thing she knew about what it means to run this five-star hotel as an island of integrity and transparency in a sea of scum and villainy: while it was OK to eat free meals at the restaurant on occasion or to sleep with a guest for quality control, with their permission of course, she could only do it so often, even with proper disclosures. In fact Jedi were the most likely to accept Varindar to go sleep with them in the rooms, probably because Varindar was herself a Jedi, with those guests' permission usually asked for, and obtained, at check-in. So her eating at the restaurant or sleeping with guests was, in fact, mostly an exercise in quality assurance to her; there was only so much she could potentially learn from the staff or guest feedback, however valuable those are, that might have an impact on the guest experience without herself putting on the guest hat for a night in the room or a meal at the restaurant respectively.

"Also I realize that it's just that I have to think about how each guest could potentially react to a statement I might make, because I know some guests may take a statement the wrong way. As for what I was thinking about, it was about the possibility that you had recordings of every race I swam in sting operations since I started doing sting operations"

"Oh, not what I expected, but the regular menu that sure is a lot, don't think I have been to a restaurant with over 30, and that includes the desert menu, but again, 5 stars what else would you expect"

Then again he rarely dinned as a 5-star restaurant, sure he was living like royalty on Atrisia due to being the student of Junko Ike, but still coming to a place like this that is much smaller and having a menu that large, for anyone to eat, still impressive, as was this cake. In but a few minute Tana had quickly eaten most of it, but it still seemed like a lot, and the rich flavor made every bite its own little meal to savor. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end but not before [member="Varindar Asyt"] andwered his question, by also imposing another question, one that was kind of embarrassing to answer with straight face.

"Well I don't have every single one, mainly those from the sting operations, not always going to have access to those, but a lot of your public swimming I do like to watch". "What can I say, just the way you glide through the water is mesmerizing, it is similar to my use of marital arts in air and how people have likened it to me flowing like water around a battle field". "As such I do like to watch you swim... and yes I do have quite the stash of recordings from your races, also seeing you in a swim suit is not bad either". Hopefully that was not a strange response.

"Thank you. Well, I suppose it's time to say goodbye, since there are no vacancies for the night, so perhaps you would like to try your hand at the Gaslamp Hotel, even though the Gaslamp is not as luxurious"

So Varindar was just finished eating her choco lava cake with the ice cream scoop the à la mode suffix implied. With that said, the bill came and she had to bill the Order for the meal, as is usual for meals in that location. And now the truth has come out about the extent at which [member="Tanaski Yumi"] held recordings of her swimming in sting operations, plus these swims he had with her. Mesmerizing perhaps, but then again she knew that those people who knew the late stages of the school-vs-hotel dynamic would also cherish the stars of that era, especially Elianne and her, and, as such, would continue following their sting operations. Also, despite the turnover, she ought to ask more about the earlier stage of the school-vs-hotel dynamics with local fans, what it was like, because as it stands, all she knew about that was that Elianne predated her time at the hotel and the Ta'jars held numerous races held with a wide variety of entrants for the purposes of laundering money. It was just time for her to leave the premises and go back to her house somewhere else in the city.

"Would you like directions to the Gaslamp? Or a taxi taking you there?"

"Well I was not really planning on spending the night unless you asked me too, but I suppose there is no harm in having a day off here, there is some paper work I have to get through after all... so yer Ill take the other hotel".

Paper work = a message he got the other day about some new person, and a little bit more, best not to work on it when around other Jedi so a not so fancy hotel would probably do just fine. Though he was a little surprised that [member="Varindar Asyt"] had not mentioned anything about the question he answered, was she used to having people follow her racing meets? Maybe she was quite well known among the swimming community as he had seen quite a few times over during interaction together, perhaps after a while she just did not react to it anymore, or did but was good at hiding it, an interesting prospect.

"Oh yeah I would like directions, have never really explored this planet before, please lead the way".

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom