Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Denied ID-4 "Adrestia" Class Mass Interdiction Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
ansel-hsiao-dominator31.jpg

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To sub a Jaeger brand Interdiction Drive
  • Image Source: Here.
  • Canon Link: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Primary Source: Vagaari Ship Net
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Jaeger Solutions
  • Affiliation: Closed-Market
  • Model: ID-4 "Adrestia" Class Mass Interdiction Drive
  • Modularity: N/A
  • Production: Semi-Unique
  • Material:
    • Frame: Durasteel Superstructure w/ Ferrocarbon Reinforcement
    • Core: Gravity Modulation Systems w/ Advanced Overdrive Capabilities
    • Misc: Various Computerized Components
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • System Wide Interdiction
    • Otherspace / Hyperspace Mass Interdiction
  • Real Space Slowing When Activated
  • Specialized Counter to traditional HIMS and GAMs through focused modulation.
STRENGTHS
  • A Step Above -
    • Unlike traditional interdiction systems, the Adrestia is an interdiction drive that can overcome most types of HIMS and GAMs, enact 'No Fly' Zones across entire systems, and slow most traditional real space ships to a proverbial crawl when activated. This can lead to large scale lockdowns of systems when required; allowing for equipped ships to keep rowdy or hostile areas of denial for enemy combatants, smugglers, and more.
WEAKNESSES
  • Like Glass -
    • Cumbersome and massive, the "Adrestia" is a highly technical and advanced system that required six gravity wells that can take up to the entirety of a vessel's length. This means it can only be put on battlecruisers, and even then, can be destroyed or stopped through very simple means. The primary is breaching even one of these gravity wells, forcing them to reduce their effectiveness to a more traditional Interdiction Drive; and if multiple gravity wells are breached, they are doubly less effective to almost nothing. That combined with their low production value, they are a high priority target in any fleet, and require massive protection.
  • Pacifist Headlock -
    • Due to the power requirements, and gravity modulation, the ID-4 will disable all offensive measures of a ship during its use. That means that so long as the ship has the system activated, it can not fire any of its weapons - while all other systems will be drastically reduced during operation.
  • Let God Sort Them Out -
    • Due to its undiscerning nature, the 'Adrestia' also slows friendly fleets - discerning nothing between friend or foe. This means that unless a fleet is already in an advantageous position, it can force the activator into a less than stellar position; as they too would be restricted to fall slower movement.
DESCRIPTION

After multiple rebel fleets were dealt severe blows by advanced Interdiction Drives, Jaeger realized that it wasn't touching on a market that could easily be a gold mine with the up and coming civil war between the Sith and Imperial Order. With this in mind, restricting an opponent to fight did wonders for stopping hit and run tactics; and often would allow the crippling of an entire fleet so long as they couldn't escape - and Jaeger knew that there was a certain market for such a thing.
With the ability to restrict hyperspace, other space, and real space movement in and out of a system - the "Adrestia" is capable of taking any rebellious systems and holding them down until the cancer can be cut from the flesh of Order. In doing this, the Mass Interdiction Drive is the pinnacle of Interdiction technology - and the now most sought after technology for fleets looking for exactly that; a step above and beyond traditional Predator Interdiction.
All in all, the "Adrestia" is a monster of an Interdiction Drive, and has no equal on current economic markets; allowing Jaeger another chance at cornering the markets with high end, exceptional technology built for the discerning customer - and in this case, the discerning warlord looking to hold their empire together from malcontents, smugglers, and foreign powers.

Last edited:
Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean

Good Evening,

This is quite a submission you’ve out together here, I can’t remember seeing one that is more ambitious in a while. However, there are several issues with the submission which I’d like to go through with you as [part of your second chance review.

Sector/System Wide Interdiction

One thing we often forget is how large a star system truly is, for the record, the solar system has a diameter of 287.46km. If we take our solar system as an average system then this is the size of star system which you are aiming to interdict. This is a massive area, far in excess of any previous ship-based interdictor system I have been able to find in canon.
Interdictors tend to have a much smaller range, capable of only affecting space around their ship by simulating the gravity well of a planet. While a planet is large, in terms of size and weight, a planet does not have the ability to create a gravitational mass that can lock down an entire system, let alone a sector. In order to lock down an entire system, an interdictor would have to produce a gravitational well equivalent to that of a sun. To lock down a sector would take an even more massive gravitational well.
The sheer amount of energy required to create such a gravitational well is truly mindboggling, and far far beyond the ability of a starship to reproduce. Furthermore, if it was possible to create it, then the force of gravity would ultimately have a profound impact on the star system itself, as well as destroying the ship in all likelihood.

It is for this reason that this element of the submission will need to be scaled back considerably to bring it more in line with what is feasible in a star wars setting.

Otherspace Interdiction

Can you point to any canon example of a normal real gravitational body affecting otherspace? I am curious to see your thought process on this particular ability.

Realspace slowing

Again, do you have any basis for this ability? The closest I can come to this is due to time dialation, however in order to have any significant effect the mass of the gravitational effect would have to be staggering, and well beyond the ability of star wars technology to maintain.

Counter to HIMS/GAMS

HIMS is a direct counter to gravity well projectors, and I am loathe to allow any technology which would remove that availability from roleplay. Do you have any canon basis for this ability of your gravity well generator?

Weakness

The weakness you have provided is really not a weakness, since the gravity well projectors would be protected by the defences of the ship, it’s shield and it’s armour. As such, this really isn’t a weakness of the system. Please replace it with another actual weakness that pertains to the gravity wwell projector itself.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean - I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but an administrative decision has been made in regards to system-wide interdiction from a single source. Not only is it impossible to do Lore-wise with nothing more than two additional generators and a larger power supply added to the source of the interdictor field, but like Sector-wide Interdiction, it's presently not permitted. If there were multiple starships with these additional generators in play - they'd be able to cover a good portion of a star system... but from a single source? I'm afraid that won't work.

So, if you'd like, I can leave this here for you to edit and check-in a few days from now - or I can move this to the Pre-Factory if you feel like you need more time. Lemme know what path you wanna take.

LT-137 LT-137

I would make the argument that a single interdictor blocking a system has been done in canon (lowest power setting for Centerpoint Station that while is banned in itself, was also capable of interdicting the entire galaxy which is beyond scales of what this does), and that having a single ship doing such a thing is better for story than the alternative. As of right now, there is absolutely nothing stopping someone from instead lining a system with Empion Space Mines, and doing exactly the same thing with canonized technology they need absolutely no permission to utilize.

So sure, it is system wide interdiction from multiple sources, but those multiple sources are also much harder to deal with due to being numerous.

If the Factory would prefer a thousand Empion Mines over a single interdictor to achieve the same result, I can't make an argument changing that. Since that's the heart of the submission, I'll let you bring this up as you see fit and if it is still not acceptable then I'd rather it be archived. Its much less stressful to just launch the mines, after all.

Darth Empyrean Darth Empyrean - Centerpoint Station is also Celestial-based technology, which is obviously more powerful than anything we can create within the Factory and is also banned for that reason. In addition to that, if a system only has one safe means of traversal in and out - a single interdictor could easily lock down that system. However, if there are more ways to jump into the system - as you can imagine it becomes more difficult to gatekeep any arrivals and departures. With that being said, you would need multiple interdictors, or sources of gravity well projectors to effectively seal off a system as it's impossible to do it with a single source.

The picture's I'll be linking below will showcase why it's impossible to do, and why it requires a considerable number of interdictors to lockdown a system.
As you can see, only a portion of a system can be covered by four - let alone six generators. Now, when it comes to mines, more often than not it was cheaper for planets to utilize Empion Mines or Gravity Well Stations to secure their spatial borders, simply because the cost of operating and maintaining a selection of interdictors was an expense that few outside the Galactic Empire and Rebellion could afford.

You are correct, however. Nothing is stopping anyone from seeding an entire star system with space mines - and it's not something that we restrict in any capacity through the Factory. Nor should it, as we're not the RolePlay Police. The Factory should and only cares about balance in their submissions, alongside some believability in regards to the Star Wars universe. Naturally, that's my opinion rather than a stated fact. As to what someone does outside of this Subforum - be it seeding entire starlanes with mines or glassing planets? Their actions are on them.

So, as you've stated that single-source interdiction is at the very heart of this submission and that it's something you're unwilling to change - then I'll archive this for you. Should you desire to change your mind in the future, please feel free to utilize the Second Chance functionality of the Factory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom