Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Species Hypermorphs

Status
Not open for further replies.
pascal-harter-arteas.jpg

A Hypermorph as it appears in Hyperspace.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
  • Intent: To provide a unique species to the Codex which will appear in future RPs.
  • Image Credit: Here
  • Canon: N/A
  • Permissions: N/A
  • Links: N/A
GENERAL INFORMATION
  • Name: Hypermorphs
  • Designation: Sentient, but with extremely strange minds compared to most sentient species.
  • Origins: Hyperspace
  • Average Lifespan: Up to 2500 years
  • Estimated Population: Rare
  • Description: Hypermorphs are not a very well known species to the inhabitants of Reality as most know it. This is due to the fact that they exist only within Hyperspace. Despite only existing within hyperspace, Hypermorphs are capable of existing in normal space, but simply lack the ability to access it. Within their native realm, they appear as large, pulsating waves of something somewhere in between matter and energy which can change direction at will. At their center, they possess a “core” which stores all memories and controls emotions.
PHYSICAL INFORMATION
  • Breathes: Hypermorphs do not breathe.
  • Average Height of Adults: Varies
  • Average Length of Adults: Varies
  • Skin color: Usually either iridescent or completely colorless, but more comprehensible colors are not uncommon.
  • Hair color: N/A
  • Distinctions: Hypermorphs exist exclusively within Hyperspace, and are made of something somewhere in between matter and energy. They are capable of flashing light in various colors at will, and use this as a form of communication. They grow larger throughout their lives using the energy they consume. Once they grow to a certain size, they reproduce by splitting in half, with one half distinctly being the original, and the other (usually smaller half) forming a new core and becoming a new Hypermorph.
  • Races: N/A
  • Force Sensitivity: Non-Force Sensitive
Strengths:
  • Long Lifespan: Hypermorphs are capable of living much longer than most sentient species.
  • Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches (except if these attacks are directed at the core). In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms.
    • Hypermorphs would also be capable of releasing dangerous amounts of cosmic radiation in all directions within a 50 meter radius. This radiation would affect all individuals differently. The affects would almost always be negative, but rarely ever deadly in the short term.
    • Finally, Hypermorphs would be capable of creating large quantities of red orbs capable of twisting and distorting space. In total, around 20-25 small orbs could be fired at once, or one large one. Explaining what these red orbs even are is difficult, but the best analogy would be a less potent form of antimatter. These orbs would move relatively slowly, but contact with one would most likely melt and distort any solid object, including living creatures. However, they do dissipate overtime. Smaller orbs would dissipate after 2 minutes, and larger ones would dissipate after 15 minutes.
  • Intelligent: Hypermorphs are extremely intelligent and are capable of performing difficult mathematical equations and forming complex plans at the same time. They are also capable of learning new things quickly compared to most sentient species.
Weaknesses:
  • Weak to The Force: The Force is a foreign concept to the Hypermorphs, and they have no biological resistance or control over it. The Force terrifies them, and they only know about it thanks to force users who travel through Hyperspace.
  • Can be confused by bright lights: Bright lights produced by things like EMP bombs and Pulsars confuse Hypermorphs greatly, as they are essentially the equivalent of random gibberish to them.
  • Vulnerable Core: Attacking a Hypermorph’s core is an easy way to incapacitate one. The core is usually protected, but a well aimed laser blast at the right time can hit it. While attacking the core once will not kill a Hypermorph, it will stun the Hypermorph long enough to attack a second time.
CULTURE
  • Diet: Carnivore: A Hypermorph’s diet mostly consists of Purrgil and other animals capable of traveling through Hyperspace. However, some individuals develop a taste for starships. To consume prey, Hypermorphs envelop them and quickly leech their energy. This process converts the matter into energy with 99.9% efficiency, which means Hypermorphs only need to eat once every month.
  • Communication: Hypermorphs communicate by flashing different colored lights at each other.
  • Technology level: N/A
  • Religion/Beliefs: Hypermorphs believe that their species must “Ascend”. What exactly this means varies quite a bit from Hypermorph to Hypermorph, but most agree that Ascension might found in another plane of existence.
  • General behavior: Hypermorphs spend their time catching food, communicating with each other, and trying to figure out how to Ascend. They are capable of feeling some emotions, but not others. For example, they can feel happiness, fear, curiosity, and confusion, but anger, love, boredom, and humor are completely foreign to them.
HISTORICAL INFORMATION
Hypermorphs are a very old species, likely dating back at least 5 billion years. They emerged from naturally occurring phenomena in Hyperspace, and eventually became a viable species. They gradually learned to hunt Purrgils and other Hyperspace traveling creatures. However, Purrgils are very clever creatures, so the Hypermorphs needed to become more intelligent to properly hunt them. This evolutionary race continued, and eventually the Hypermorphs not only became sentient, but far smarter than most sentient species. The Hypermorphs created their own language using their natural ability to flash in various different colors. Using this language, they started organizing hunting groups to more effectively catch Purrgils. Eventually, the Hypermorphs had streamlined Purrgil catching down to a science. This gave them more time to think about other things. A question that had existed for a long time in the Hypermorphs’ minds was “Where do the Purrgils come from?”. After a great deal of thought, a group of philosophers decided that the Purrgils must come from a location outside of Hyperspace. From then onwards, the Hypermorphs have dedicated themselves to the goal of ascending to this new universe.

Last edited:
Ham Salad Ham Salad

This is a really creative take on a hyperspace-bound creature. I like it!

My only note is for this Strength:

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. While it is not clear, they would likely be very powerful in normal space as well.

This should be elaborated on because it isn't exactly clear "how" they're powerful and what abilities they have that might place them in a "powerful" category. Is it their ability to absorb energy mentioned below? If so, I would add that here too so that other players might know what to expect.

Just give me a tag when you're ready for me to look again. Thanks!

Ham Salad Ham Salad

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches. In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms, such as absorbing energy, releasing dangerous quantities of cosmic radiation, and creating large quantities of red orbs capable of twisting and distorting space.

This is much better! In regards to the cosmic radiation that gets released, is it a cloud (sort of like when a squid "inks" when they run away?), a targeted beam, etc? Can they absorb all forms of energy and what happens to the energy they absorb? Are the "red orbs" creating singularities of some kind? Just looking for a little more clarification on these parts, though, I definitely think you're headed in the right direction. As anyone can choose to write any species that has been submitted to the Codex unless it is unique it is important to remember to describe potential effects so it may be portrayed properly.

I would also remind you that these creatures seem to read extremely powerful with these additions. We don't necessarily judge for balance but I would be remiss not to suggest that you review the weaknesses and ensure that there is at least one that is equally important. As they are now they will need to be used very, very carefully as they could be easily reported.

I apologize for all the questions. Pls tag me if I can be of assistance, or, when you're ready for me to take another peek.

Ham Salad Ham Salad

I do understand, however, any species submitted to the Codex may also be utilized freely by other members unless the species is Unique. So while you may have the knowledge behind the scenes as to how these creatures work, other writers won't have that. They may also not have your restraint. That's why I seek greater clarification in regards to capability and what others may expect.

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches. In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms, such as absorbing energy from nearby objects and firing it back in the form of Ω beams capable of following their targets. These beams would be able to follow their targets for around 5 seconds before dissipating. Hypermorphs would also be capable of releasing dangerous amounts of cosmic radiation in all directions. This radiation would affect all individuals differently. The affects would almost always be negative, but rarely ever deadly in the short term. Finally, Hypermorphs would be capable of creating large quantities of red orbs capable of twisting and distorting space. These orbs would move relatively slowly, but contact with one would badly melt and distort any solid object.

1.) Ω beams: What is this? I'm not familiar with it in Star Wars. In fact, I've only ever heard of it in reference to DC comics where it could do about a dozen different things from disintegration to teleportation. If we don't know what the beam is we don't know how it will affect characters or their environment. Try finding a SW equivalent.

2.) Cosmic Radiation: If this is what you're referring to I would link it. What would be the field it can exude the radiation. 1m-10m, etc.

3.) Red Orbs: My question still went a little bit unanswered with these. What are they? Singularities? Gravity Wells? Can they be produced endlessly? When you say "melt" would it actually destroy solid matter?

Think about what limits you can impose that would keep these from turning into possible planet killers. I can see that this is going to be the tricky part. You want to do your best to have adequate strengths and weaknesses. Right now - Your strengths vastly outweigh your weaknesses in a combat scenario. Please, review that and adjust accordingly.

Easy Helpful Examples/Ideas:

Perhaps they can only produce one orb at a time. Introduce a time delay on how often they can attack with radiation, or, the energy beams. Perhaps they can only fire with as much energy as they've taken in. Or - Perhaps they're vulnerable to their own attacks. If they get too close to the Red Orbs that could negatively affect them too. They also get confused by bright lights...Do they get confused by their own energy attacks?

Always keep in mind that submissions should conform to the general feel of Star Wars. I do like your Hypermorphs. I think they're definitely doable - But anytime we want to introduce a species that double as a sort of organic weapon that holds the potential to destroy star-ships (or more in normal space) we do need to take a closer look.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have (Even if they're small, I 100% don't mind) - I'm happy to help with anything you need.

Last edited:
Srina Talon Srina Talon
Yes, I am still working on this submission.

Edit: I have made some new changes, including replacing the Ω beams with eclipse beams, linking cosmic radiation, explaining the red orbs more, and adding a new weakness.

Last edited:
Ham Salad Ham Salad

No problem - There was no rush on my end I was just checking in :)

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches. In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms.
  • Hypermorphs would be capable of absorbing energy from nearby objects and firing it back in the form of purple “eclipse beams” capable of following their targets. These beams would be able to follow their targets for around 5 seconds before dissipating. Upon hitting an object, these beams would cause the object to implode, unless the object is protected by either shielding technology, or The Force.
  • Hypermorphs would also be capable of releasing dangerous amounts of cosmic radiation in all directions within a 50 meter radius. This radiation would affect all individuals differently. The affects would almost always be negative, but rarely ever deadly in the short term.
  • Finally, Hypermorphs would be capable of creating large quantities of red orbs capable of twisting and distorting space. Explaining what these red orbs even are is difficult, but the best analogy would be a less potent form of antimatter. These orbs would move relatively slowly, but contact with one would badly melt and distort any solid object, including living creatures.

1.) Eclipse Beams: I'm running into a very similar problem as the "Ω Beams" - They appear to be more or less the same, just, with a different name. What you've described (the tracking, specifically) doesn't seem to exist with laser weapons in Star Wars. Is there an equivalent you can present? (Ex. My suggestion would be to use this Scythe Weapon as a basis. It also has the advantage of being on an organic ship already so there's some good precedent there. You can still keep the beam color any shade you want :).)

We need to avoid this sounding like it has the power of superlaser at all costs. It's meant to be a species, a creature, more than a weapon so we need to make sure to stay in the Codex Lane, not the Factory Lane.

2.) Cosmic Radiation: This is good to go now - Nice work.

3.) Red Orbs: This is much better. I still have some reservations about the "damage" that could be inflicted by just one of them. Do they dissipate with time? How many can be released at once? In all honestly, I would 100% suggest that these do fade with time and that their strength lessens the further they get from the Hypermorph to a point where they dissipate.

Weaknesses:
  • Vulnerable Core: Attacking a Hypermorph’s core is an easy way to incapacitate one. The core is usually protected, but a well aimed laser blast at the right time can hit it. While attacking the core once will not kill a Hypermorph, it will stun the Hypermorph long enough to attack a second time.

This is a fantastic adjustment! The only thing I need to point out is that in Strengths you state they can "easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches" and this weakness contradicts that. I would remove that part from the strengths and keep the weakness. This helps, a lot.

My only other overall suggestion would be to remember to phrase explaining damage carefully. You did perfectly for the Cosmic Radiation but you want to make sure the submission reads like it isn't calling a hit. Simple tense changes can fix that easily!

Example A: Upon hitting an object, these beams would cause the object to implode, unless the object is protected by either shielding technology, or The Force.

Example B: Upon hitting an object, these beams
could cause the object to implode, unless the object is protected by either shielding technology, or The Force.

It's a subtle change, but, very helpful.

My main concern right now is the "Eclipse Beams" and nailing them down. Again, I apologize for the lengthy responses. Please feel free to ask me anything you need to and we can brainstorm to iron everything out. Here to help :)

Thank you!

Ham Salad Ham Salad

Sorry for the late reply, friend. I've been in the Annihilation bunker. (Send help!)

Those changes eliminate the concerns I brought up above - Thank you kindly. The only thing left is to take a look at you Strengths and Weaknesses because they still actually contradict each other.

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches (except if these attacks are directed at the core). In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms.

In that first Strengths Section you state they can easily survive blasts from advanced laser weaponry, but...

Vulnerable Core: Attacking a Hypermorph’s core is an easy way to incapacitate one. The core is usually protected, but a well aimed laser blast at the right time can hit it. While attacking the core once will not kill a Hypermorph, it will stun the Hypermorph long enough to attack a second time.

But, beneath Weaknesses, they're actually vulnerable to laser blasts.

You'll just need to clear that up and I can get you on your way :)

Srina Talon Srina Talon

Could you explain what you mean a bit more please?

Powerful: Hypermorphs are very powerful in Hyperspace, and are capable of regularly catching and consuming Purrgils. In normal space, they would be capable of easily surviving blasts from advanced laser weaponry and anti-spacecraft missile launches (except if these attacks are directed at the core). In return, they could use a wide variety of defense mechanisms.

I have a sentence there that says that the core is vulnerable to laser blasts, so are you saying I should clarify it further?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom