Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Hunting History

aeddfae89686296142f31c2c47ff9509.jpg

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

He had carved a path to his destination. The wristband blade cut through the dense growth with ease, thick branches falling to the ground with dull thuds, bushes and ferns making way for the armored individual. Booted footfalls crushed the grass underfoot, as the helmet saw itself ducking beneath a low outcropping with his hands brushing past vines that threatened to twist and entrap him should he not pay attention to his steps. Far-off calls of braying animals and the buzzing of insects were teeming in the lush, overgrown forest that blotted out the system’s sun. The equipment brought along was not as 'destructive' as it usually was, but he still deemed to bring enough for self-protection - his Carbine was slung around his shoulder, pistols holstered at his hips. Not to mention whatever other armament embedded into his frame, as his paranoid self so often deemed necessary.

It was a unique job. One that the Bounty Hunter could not recall ever taking part of before - the retrieval of history. Certainly, far different from his usual ‘retrievals’ of persons of interest on behalf of governments and the occasional crime lord. Unlike what he has usually heard of, however, this artifact was not of your typical lost treasure, or some forbidden knowledge that those treading in the Dark would relish getting their hands on. Rather, what he was after was something of much more value to a historian.

The planet was old. Untouched by civilization - at least, from what he could tell so far, it was never inhabited, though the group that sent him here told him otherwise. A long while ago, the Confederacy of Independent Systems held control over it, tried to bring it out of its time as a blip in the map. When that fell, it returned to its status, once-again overlooked and forgotten. Yet, further than that, even longer ago, it served as a beacon of Hope. Once home to an old Rebellion of a time past, and an even older civilization; one that may well have never existed, if you let the HoloNet’s empty searches guide your decision. Today, he was sent here to investigate the traces of those long-gone groups. An Archaeological Society that resided near the Core Worlds had put out a contract for this one; seeking ‘experienced’ individuals to retrieve evidence, artifacts, knowledge; practically whatever one could find that could serve sufficiently enough for archaeological discovery. Apparently, place was dangerous enough to warrant folk such as himself, along with a payday to match (although, it certainly took some convincing and many reminders to try not to damage anything). Exactly what was the danger, he wasn’t told - but it seemed a normal expedition was considered too risky, and too costly for ‘normal’ individuals. Hence, he was hired to do it instead.

For Samuel Exel, that suited him just fine. His movement continued onwards, as wood and dirt began to give way to old stone intermingled with moss and roots of the ruins he was sent for.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Outfit: Factory Link
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsabers
Tag: Samuel Exel Samuel Exel

Almost without interference from local fauna and flora, Valery elegantly jumped between trees to continue her path toward the ancient structure she was looking for. It wasn't a common kind of assignment for her to take on, but she had promised her husband and daughter to take it easier after long times away at the front. So what better way to do that than to replace heavy combat and dangerous investigations with a dive deep into the past?

Valery's interest in history had never outweighed her excitement for using her combative prowess to protect others and fight back the Dark Side. But there was a time long ago when she had worked as a Lorekeeper. It happened right after she sustained serious injuries in the ancient wars of the Old Republic, so it was meant to give her time off without her just sitting still and feeling helpless. Her focus had merely shifted from war to retrieval of ancient artifacts.

Paired with the fact that she had grown up in one of the Galaxy's most dangerous jungles, this mission just seemed too perfect for her to ignore.

But after passing through long stretches of jungle, Valery felt a presence in the Force that seemed... familiar. She couldn't quite place it yet but she immediately understood that she wasn't alone. This planet had no population currently either, so the most reasonable assumption was that someone else was responding to the contract as well. Valery wasn't doing it for credits, but if they were, they could definitely make things more difficult than she hoped.

So rather than heading for the ruins, she altered her path to intercept the man she felt. Her speed was beyond supernatural and she remained high up in the trees, hoping to reach them undisturbed and before it was too late.

Last edited:

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

He’ll admit, he wasn’t used to forest environments. But he was nothing if not adaptable. He had to be, in this line of work - it was that or death. He had felt his hairs stand on end within the helmet, as if he was being watched by someone, or something. Or perhaps it was just his accursed nerves, playing tricks on him with a sense of paranoia that he never seemed to have kicked. Still, he had learned to trust it over the years, for it had so often gotten out of nasty scrapes. With that, he unshouldered the Carbine, merely holding it in his hand as he continued to swipe away the overgrowth with the other. His systems were ready, for whatever this planet had to throw at him.

Even as he was approaching the ruins, there was no reprieve from the dense forest. Seemed as if it was built with the intention of mingling the design, in fact. It was the first bit of light he had seen in a bit, at least, streaming in from small holes in the leaves of overhanging trees. Stony pathing had begun to creep in, visible against the ground’s shrubbery. Seems he had reached his destination.

It was then there was a subtle rustle of leaves overhead, somewhere. Helmet snaps upwards, angling the Carbine to where he heard it as the armor begins to dull and subdue with green and brown color; like a chameleon attempting to get away from danger. If that chameleon had a gun, at least. There were no words; merely readiness - after all, best not to attract too much attention to himself, if there was anything about.

Tentative steps circle the area as his unseen features peered upwards from behind the helmet. The humidity of the planet made it difficult to scan for thermal signatures. Hadn’t loosed shots yet; even with his paranoia harrying him, he had a good trigger finger. One he so often needed to exercise, these days. Part of the reason he took this assignment was because it had less confusing politics and chit that he needed to sort through.

Yet still, he would be ready the moment what he believed was danger entered his crosshairs.

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

With a final grand leap, Valery landed on top of a thick branch high above the ground. She looked down at the man in armor carrying a weapon and dipped her head. Ideally, he wasn't going to shoot just because of her sudden appearance, but Valery kept the possibility in the back of her mind and readied herself to get moving again as well. Up here, she had more of an advantage than most would be able to imagine.

She was fast, had cover from the trees, and she could quickly get out as well.

"Well, can't say I was expecting to find people all the way out here," Valery said as she took a moment to study him more closely. His presence felt familiar and after a moment, she realized exactly why. It didn't really change anything for her because he hadn't made any threatening moves back on Denon, but it was still a peculiar coincidence.

But if she continued to feel no hostile intent, Valery would drop all the way down to land as if she was completely weightless. The Force had cushioned the fall for her, allowing her to stand tall and bow her head swiftly. "I assume you're also heading for the ruins up ahead? There's not exactly much more out here."

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

The woman had a rather fancy appearance. It wasn’t difficult to recognize who it was. Certainly, an interesting coincidence, this situation was. Nerves kept the weapon up for a tad longer, but he restrained the paranoid instinct from pulling the trigger. No point in starting a fight over nothing. Scanners made the bio-match, and with a silent huff, his mindset had to adjust to that of a repetitive firing range once more. He didn’t like being around Force Sensitives, with the implication of sensing minds. He preferred to keep his to himself.

“If it isn’t the woman who almost cost me my payday.” Came the modulated voice, head tilting some with the carbine remained trained for a moment longer. “...That is a jest,” Tentatively lowering his weapon slowly. “Hello again, Miss Noble. I cannot say I was expecting folk out here either, let alone our paths crossing once again. It’s good to see I was correct in assuming those were your friends who came to ferry you away after that mess.”

She made her descent, with the Hunter hefting the Carbine to rest on his shoulder as she bowed her head. His helmet tilted some, but he dipped his head in response before he could think to do otherwise; perhaps it was a fine-tuned instinct from his time as a Bartender. It was usually polite to return such gestures. “By that question, am I to assume you are as well?” Adjustment, confirming it somewhat while also querying her in term.

“You’re correct. There isn’t much else out here.” Could’ve sworn he felt the eyes of something else, earlier. “I wasn’t aware that Jedi were archaeologists.” In idle comment, as he turned and stepped further along. On the clock, as it were - he disliked the forest planet, would rather be off of it sooner. Much preferred sandy dunes; though, he wondered if another would like to see such a place? Soft hum to himself, as the thought was tucked away for later.

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"It was my own Padawan and a close friend," Valery said with a slight dip of her head. "Apologies for not trusting you back then, but I assume you do understand? It was a very chaotic situation and I had no time to think." She had gone with the safest option, and ultimately, it had been a good call. Any other decision would have introduced some kind of risk, and she was in no position to allow that.

After making her way down, she dipped her head in response to his assumption. "That's right, so it seems we're both after the same thing." Or well, at least the same location. There was likely quite a lot to see there, so it was possible they didn't have exactly the same task. It was more likely that he'd be looking for valuable items, whereas Valery was purely interested in items with historical value.

Of course, those two things could overlap.

"The Jedi have had a branch called the Lorekeepers for thousands of years. Studying ancient cultures, artifacts, or well... just about anything, is what they do," she explained while she started to follow him. "I want to visit to learn of this place's history, and perhaps retrieve what is worth studying."

Her fiery eyes shifted to him after a moment. "Why are you interested in this place?"

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

“I understand.”
Came the man’s simple reply through the modulation, as his wrist whisked through the air to cut a final few branches in his way. “It was the smart thing to do. I don’t hold grudges over jobs.” Stated this rather matter-of-factly, “I just make sure they get done.” Such was the case for any mercenary that wanted to survive in the world. It was a truth, a necessity he knew was his case as well. He couldn’t really afford to be picky, when it came down to it. “A shame the Terrorist got away. Perhaps another time.” He offhandedly commented, “I dislike the politics of that world, but CorpSec pays well.” As his footfalls made their way, it became against stone. Pillars rose high into the air, with cracked and worn stone steeped in plantlife. His visor scanned across - looking for what could be potential entryways, or some manner of crevice that was obscured from sight. Thought he was getting closer, anyways; but he was by no means an experienced archaeologist. And usually an ancient city was kept out of sight fairly well. He still could not fight off the nagging feeling he was being watched by the trees, even after the appearance of the woman.

Upon listening to her reply, a brief explanation of the Lorekeepers, a brow raised beneath the helmet, his head tilting back over his shoulder some amount. “I see.” Was all that was uttered in reply before his gaze centered once more. He felt her gaze on the back of his head when she posed her next question. “The same reason as you. By proxy, anyway.” Another simple response. “Some folk want what’s inside, who research things like this. Probably put it in a museum or something for the public, once they're through with their studies. They’re paying for it, I’m getting it. The history of this place is not mine, so it is not my place to care for it unless I am paid to.”

The visor turned again, flashing across to her fiery gaze. Bluntly, he would go on to state, “Pardon my saying, but if you’ve an issue with my reasons, I’d prefer to settle it now. If not, then we’ve no reason to quarrel. I'd prefer the latter.” His mannerisms and modulated tone were not exactly hostile - almost formal in presentation, but they were not exactly the most hospitable either. Then again, he was specializing in a rather inhospitable profession; bluntness was to be expected. Perhaps it was nerves, paired with a certain familiarity with competition in Bounty Hunting. He attempted to uphold a fair balance of kind and unkind, all things considered.

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

His answer was hardly surprising.

Back on Denon, she had gotten a decent impression of what kind of work he did, so the fact he was here to earn his credits was something she expected. Luckily, though, he wasn't paid to destroy them, or perhaps worse, deliver these historic artifacts to the wrong type of people. She could live with them being properly researched by someone else, or even for them to be stored in a museum.

Either way, ancient knowledge would be made accessible to everybody.

"I don't have a problem with it but I'd like to make a request. If I help you find them, I can take a few scans and images of the artifacts. You can bring them with you and deliver them for study so you get paid." It was a win-win scenario as far as she was concerned because she doubted that he'd be opposed to her just taking some pictures.

A Jedi's word was also far more easily trusted than most.

"If some of the artifacts are particularly fragile, I'm also able to move them much more carefully than any device or machine ever could. I wouldn't mind helping you bring them back to your ship."

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

His head tilts upon her response. It was an opportunity to learn more of her order, if anything. Admittedly, he was largely unexposed to other cultures, except through fighting. “I see no issues with your proposition. You may take your pictures.” And while he was used to competition, of having to fight over specific targets, he himself was not the most competitive. He felt no need to hoard this; it was likely being given to the public anyways, and there were no contract parameters that he couldn’t let anyone else do something like this.

“I wasn’t aware history of seemingly useless import was of that much value to the Jedi.” After her next words. It was not framed in the manner of an insult, but could’ve come off as one. “I doubt the Force is as precise as you claim.” An idle comment as she referred to the Force as being more precise than machinery. Before adding, “You do not need to render further aid. I do not wish to burden someone else’s time when they are already offering assistance. Though, I am unopposed to it if you insist.” Continuing on. More vines that hung low, as if creeping in from every which way, were pushed aside.

“Besides, it gives me a moment to inquire of a certain occurrence involving you I’ve heard from a,” Slight pause as he searched for the word for a moment. “Friend. Of mine. By how he was acting, it seemed like it turned sour, from what he mentioned.” Head tilts as the light of the area dimmed the further they forayed into the ruins. The clearing they passed was seemingly some entry-point, like a staging ground of sorts - now long since overgrown and forgotten. “...Mmh. Though, perhaps I am prying too much. I merely wished to give thanks. You may have been the reason someone I know avoided an unseemly path and fate.” For the moment, he left it at that, as his head tilted upwards. There was barely anything left of the light, the leaves and branches growing thicker and obscuring evermore. He pressed a hand against his helmet, and on came a torch attached to the side of it, just for this occasion. He usually used alternative visor modes for this, but seeing as there was now someone else…well, it was a good thing he came prepared. He didn’t think a lightsaber would be a sufficient lightsource.

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"What's useless to one person can be a treasure to another," Valery said with a soft smile. "Through objects, some Jedi are able to see glimpses of its history, and that can teach us a lot about the past. Studying different cultures through what they left behind can also be used to instruct, and some are just naturally curious about these things." She turned her gaze away from Samuel for a moment to look at the environment instead.

From the vines, trees, and other plants, to the structure they were about to enter. It could end up being tricky to find a safe passage inside ruins this old, but between his gadgets and her use of the Force, they probably had the best shot at finding a way. On the topic of the Force's precision, she turned back to him and chuckled. "It depends on the context. Lightsabers are always assembled using the Force because no machine can align the components perfectly. Through Telekinesis, I can lift a fragile object without any pressure being applied to it at all, which machines or objects can't do either."

"But tools have their uses as well. I just wouldn't underestimate what the Force can do when you know very little about it." With that, she passed through a dense group of vines and began looking for an entryway. It wasn't immediately obvious, so she remained close and kept looking.

"Besides, it gives me a moment to inquire of a certain occurrence involving you I've heard from a," Slight pause as he searched for the word for a moment. "Friend. Of mine. By how he was acting, it seemed like it turned sour, from what he mentioned."

Valery paused and looked over her shoulder with a brow raised, "Well, you can ask me anything you'd like but there are topics I might not get into. Not here." And probably not with someone she didn't know too well. The two then finally got so deep into it all that very little light remained. Her Keshian eyes began to adjust immediately but before they could, he turned on a torch attached to his helmet. "The light is useful but if you need to kill it for some reason, don't be worried. I can actually see in the dark quite well." She grinned and looked back at the path ahead.

"I think I see something up there. Looks like a hatch of some kind?"

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

“I suppose. Being able to see something like that would certainly make it more useful than the conjecture.”
He left his unease regarding the matter unspoken. She also shared a curious detail about lightsabers. Now he knew why they were worth so much on the Black Market - Previously, it felt like you could get them anywhere if you knew where to look at times. She went on to describe Telekinesis, and how she could move objects without pressure. “We’ll see. Hopefully if there was something that fragile, it is well-preserved enough to bring back in the first place.” That was part of the ‘risk’ of assignments like these; you don’t know if you’ll actually find something until you get there.

“I know that the Force can be used to harm, in ways no weapon could.” He said in a bland reply, upon her comment of him knowing little of it. He hasn't need to know much about it, just how to combat against it. “I’ve yet to see many of its other applications. The chance is usually subsumed by conflict. But there are tools to do such a thing you speak of without pressure. Regardless, we’ll have to see what is needed when we get there.”

Upon her reply to his inquiry, his head turned away once more. “Very well. I will give my thanks later.” The visor tilted from side to side a moment, as the light lit the way. When she commented on her eyes, his helmet turned back some - not fully, of course, because he’d rather not blind her. “Curious. Is that species-related, or Force-related?” He posed in a small muse. He did think her eyes were rather unique, but there were plenty of oddities in the galaxy.

Then she pointed out something that almost slipped his notice, gaze centering once again. Helmet tilts, “I believe so. We passed the original staging ground not long ago, so if there was an entrance, it would be around here.” Continuing on to the designated spot.

She was correct, the hatch was almost completely covered and overgrown by thick shrubbery; difficult to notice unless you were perceptive. More of those vines creeped across it, as he adjusted. “Have to cut away some of it,” Samuel would state, as the wrist blade would slide out from its hidden slot. Shouldering the carbine, his free-hand would trace across the edge of it. “I do not want to damage it. Allow me a moment-” Affirming where the vines were holding the hatch down, he would make small cuts across. Could hear them snapping, like ropes, as they came undone. “There.” He adjusted, pulling on the newly-unearth metal hatch. Behind it, lay a staircase of stone, leading deeper into the depths.

“Shall we?”

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

For now, Valery let the topic of what the Force could do versus technology slide. Both had their advantages and disadvantages, so they'd be better off assessing each situation separately and deciding what would be best to handle it. Instead, she turned her gaze to him when he asked about her eyesight. "Species-related. I'm a Keshian and our eyes can see from Infrared to Ultraviolet," she explained.

"So it does require certain wavelengths of light but I can generally see decently at night."

Following her explanation, her Keshian eyes were able to spot a hatch covered in vines and other plants. Samuel was quick to confirm what she believed and crouched down to carefully remove the flora around it. She could have likely done it with her lightsaber too, but the chances of damaging the hatch would be much higher.

Every part of this mission would be about remaining extremely careful. Both to preserve as much as they could of the environment, but it was also for their own safety. Old ruins were not exactly the most stable structurally.

"Hmm, I don't see anything down there yet, but the air feels... old." She chuckled and began to walk down the stone staircase. Inside, the air felt colder and the moisture made it somewhat uncomfortable too. But Valery pushed through it and kept walking until they reached the floor below — a small chamber with a stone archway leading into a much larger chamber.

"It's... quite fascinating, hm?"

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

“Curious. I don’t believe I’ve ever heard of that species before. It certainly cuts down on equipment costs, I would suppose.”
He would give a mild hum of amusement. Despite the outward appearance and icy temperament, he seemed to genuinely enjoy idle talk - at least, from the scant signs one may be able to discern.

Boots against stone made their echoing sounds, reverberating in the dark, damp place they had found themselves in. He counted himself lucky for his armor even more so than usual - it was likely obnoxiously wet, especially for an individual who was used to scorching sands. Once they finally reached the bottom, they found themselves in an antechamber of sorts. Samuel’s helmet tilted upwards, beholden to the grand stone archway, and a larger chamber from the looks of it. At the end of that, it led elsewhere - a faint glimmer of light visible.

“I don’t have equipment with me to measure how ‘old,’ air would be. I imagine it is.” In affirmation to Valery. “Good thing, too - folk wouldn’t want it if it wasn’t.” His gaze returned to forwards, and he moved onwards. Indeed, the place was old. Perhaps a few signs it was used, from ages past.

“In what manner?” He queried, head tilting some as she mentioned it being fascinating. His visor trailed off some from the main path, to the walls - devoid of carvings or anything of the sort, but nonetheless shaped at one point or another. “I think your definition will be different from mine.” Perhaps a jest, or just a statement of fact. “I can’t care for history of this ilk in the same way as the people who hired me. I do not typically educate myself on such matters unless, it’s work-related. I think it’s rather unfortunate, all this. So obscure it was left to rot and be forgotten, rather than continue to be used.”

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"This is likely thousands of years old," Valery confirmed with a dip of her head. Not that she could see it somehow or feel it through the Force, but civilizations didn't just disappear overnight. This place had largely been erased from history, and for something like that to happen, a lot of time needed to have passed.

On the topic, Samuel asked in what way this place was fascinating, and Valery raised an eyebrow in response at first. To her, the answer seemed self-explanatory — this was ancient history they were looking at. But she supposed that not everybody was interested in these things. He came here to do a job, to earn credits, and not get into the history of it.

She was very different in her opinion.

"Well, don't you feel anything when you think about where you're standing? Thousands of years ago, people walked through these halls and ultimately left it all behind. Somehow, it was preserved and the memories now remain stored in the walls, the artifacts we find, and probably in the Force too." She let her hand graze along the wall, but decided against trying to tap into the past through the Force.

It was always a risky thing.

"It's also possible that it wasn't a choice. I doubt it was left intentionally to rot, But that begs the question... what made them disappear?"

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

Samuel’s gaze watched with mild curiosity as she touched her hand upon the walls. He wondered if there was some sort of ability associated with such a thing? Reading minds was one thing, but that was something entirely different. Then again, if foresight - that accursed reason so many blaster shots go to waste - existed, then would the opposite of it exist? He wouldn’t know; the topic of the Force was a mostly incomprehensible annoyance to him.

She gave it a sense of grandeur with her explanation, as if trying to get him to see things from that other perspective. He knew it was there, he just did not care for it that much. “I don’t feel anything in particular. Perhaps if the individuals behind this had made a mark on the Galaxy that was significant, something that affected even my life to this day, or something that would have inspired me to do something, I would have cared more for it, Miss Noble.”

Though she mentioned something in her small explanation, that did give way to a comment in return. “Memories are a different matter. Some are important. Be it as lessons, or some significant thing that spans lives. But this place has none; none of which can be held with those qualities, more than likely. Only the echoes of them that I’ve been sent to retrieve.”

The helmet tilted upwards some, as the possibility of a forced exit was brought up. Cobwebs and the like (though, upon closer inspection he would not notice for the moment, some appeared a tad more organized) strewn across large arches and pillars that held up the ceiling above their heads. Upon her mention of not have willingly left it behind, “I suppose that’s a possibility. It would be more plausible than it being left behind when in seemingly good condition.” The Bounty Hunter would affirm in return.

The deeper they went, oddly enough, the more it deteriorated. More cracks would make themselves apparent in the walls, spanning greater heights and widths. The shadows continue to obscure those dark abscesses, the only visible light being that faint glimmer at that far end of the corridor.

And yet, if one listened incredibly closely, one may be able to hear a faint ‘chittering’ that slowly grew more apparent with each step.

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"That's fair, I suppose," Valery said with a soft smile. Ancient history definitely wasn't for everybody, and Samuel seemed like he couldn't care less about where he stood. This was just another job for him, and she didn't really blame him for it either. Similarly, there were things others were heavily invested in that she knew nothing about, and had no desire to really investigate either. But what did stick out to her was what he said about memories.

And how this place had none.

"It has more than you think. You just need to know where to look," Valery said with a chuckle. "Historians have pieced together the way ancient organizations lived just from ordinary objects and old texts they somehow were able to decipher. But in a more literal sense, memories can also be retained through the Force." She gestured at the walls around them. "If I tap into it, sometimes I can see memories of the past, and even feel emotions of those who were there."

"It can help Jedi learn a lot, but it has risks as well."

On the topic of why these people no longer lived here, Valery nodded with a frown. "Which means we should be careful," she warned him before her fiery gaze shifted around, as she picked up on some movement somewhere. It was small and likely just rodents or other small creatures, but their body heat was easy for her to see.

There was, however, something else too, and the second she felt it, Valery stopped.

"You hear that? We're not alone in here, and I'm not talking about critters," she whispered. No, something bigger was within these ruins, and with every step, they took, the feeling that something or someone was watching them began to grow.

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

“...That may be so,”
He offered in acknowledgement when she spoke of how this place could contain memories he did not think of. “But the memories and lives of others may have varying values from person to person. To others, this has value. To me, I doubt it. The philosophy of a Bounty Hunter is not an advisable one to listen to, regardless.” Accompanied by a dry chuckle. “I am blunted to much of the cultural significance of these. This I know. Might even be a shame, from a perspective. I’ve never been one for culture, save perhaps the Mandalorians, once.” He saw barely any harm from sharing inconsequential details. The armor and equipment's inspiration was obvious.

Though, there came a definite pause when she mentioned memories were retained in the force. He wasn't sure whether the fact that one with The Force could see memories made him impressed, or only further agitated at just how far it eluded him. An odd mixture of both, was more than likely. “This is not the first time I’ve heard of The Force being a tool that would sooner cause detriment to its user when they are not paying attention to it. I dislike it.” Bland, with the statement. “You are one of few Force-Sensitives I’ve encountered that are more reserved with it. And I rarely hear of its other applications asides from death-dealing. It is mildly refreshing, though nonetheless disappointing I've not seen more of it.”

“We should be.”
Followed his agreement with her on being cautious. Then he heard the noises as well. Audio sensors adjusted, and honed in. “I hear.” Samuel would respond with equally soft, yet nonetheless grim words. Underneath the helmet, his face scrunched, preemptively unshouldering his carbine and angling it upwards. “I would prepare yourself.” When their steps came to a stop, the noise only grew louder, multiplied by a few others, echoing from the tall-standing, ominous walls and abscesses within them. Moments later, it became apparent as to the exact reason why.

“...I’m getting motion readings from the w-” A pounce of movement sprung from one of the larger cracks in the wall - an oversized, yet nonetheless agile Ambush Spider bore directly down onto Valery with a screech, eager for what appeared to be succulent prey that wandered right into its den. Unfortunately, it was not alone; the opposite side held a similar occurrence, with another of these beasts springing its deadly trap by going directly for the Bounty Hunter. Apparently, the armor did little to deter its appetite, for it deemed it would try to peel him out like a canned good if it was successful.

Worse yet, there were a few more to follow, if the noises were not deceiving them. Instinct, and a flurry of honed movements took over on Samuel’s end, with his carbine letting loose only a couple of shots that hit it square in the carapace, only for it to power through with a pained squeal and knock him down anyways. “Feth’s sake-! With a desperate movement, his wrist blade slid out once more, and slashed across whatever joint he could reach in a bid to get it off of him. It jerked aback with yet another horrid shriek, giving him just enough space to angle the carbine to blast its underbelly to the Nether, sending it careening towards the wall as it barely clung to life. One, or two more on each side encroached still, biding their time to join the fray.

Surrounded on both sides, it would seem.

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

His comment about her use of the Force got her to chuckle, "I started my training in a very different time when the Jedi were fare more traditional and reserved about their use of the Force. That always stayed with me," she explained. In other ways, she believed the traditional Jedi had been somewhat flawed, and her perspective on certain subjects had definitely changed quite a lot. But the Force will always remain an ally to her that should not be abused or viewed as a simple tool.

She tapped into it when it was needed, and always remained careful not to push it too far.

The hint of danger she had felt then suddenly made the hairs on her neck rise, and when he suggested that she'd ready herself, Valery had already slipped the hilt of her lightsaber into the palm of her hand. Just in time, as rather suddenly a huge spider jumped out at her from a crack in the wall. Valery's eyes widened a tad, but the violet blade of her lightsaber ignited swiftly and swept in to take one of the spider's legs, while she sidestepped to avoid its body colliding with her.

The spider screeched in pain and anger and was joined by several others that attacked the pair. Once again, the spider charged in, but this time Valery decided to tap into the Force. With an outstretched hand, she channeled a telekinetic burst to lash out at the beast, sending it flying into the wall.

It offered very relief, as another immediately charged in to attack.

"Stand close!" Valery called out, as she backed up practically into him. Then, seemingly out of nowhere, a ring of fire formed around the two, and Valery's eyes seemed to have a strange glow to them. She was manipulating the fire not to expand or consume anything, but it seemed to deter the spiders. For now.

"Any ideas?" she asked, as she looked at the beasts that were circling them now.

Ancient Ruins, Arbra

More reserved with their usage of the Force. If only that were the truth these days. Feels like every other individual he has encountered has been endowed with that unknowable thing. All the same, it did not stop him from persevering in the face of adversity brought from it. Beasts would not be the death of him, he had faced far worse.

He had come to a stand, pulling the trigger to unleash a volley of golden bolts, the setting kicked up a notch higher with a nonchalant flick of a thumb. His aim was true, as the next one that charged forth at him was riddled with searingly hot plasma that cooked it within its carapace, that horrendous shrieking echo’ing through the halls all the while. His unoccupied arm extended, sending a gout of flames to keep another pair at bay. His motions leading him to place more distance between their adversaries, he too found himself back-to-back with the Jedi. It was then the gout of flames seemed to spring off to the sides, and curl around as if with a mind of its own as the protective ring formed around them. Curious - that was not his work. But it was not difficult to presume who’s it was. The force can control fire? The elements? He had seen the manipulation of ice; perhaps he should not be so surprised the opposite was possible. “Clever.” Samuel would offer in an offhand comment. Now was no time to agonize over specifics.

“Divide and conquer. The fires won’t hold them long when eagerness gets the better of them.” He was used to hunting people. But beasts, he could do in equal measure - perhaps easier, given there are fewer moral qualms to have. Even still his finger pulled the trigger in rhythmic, well-placed shots from beyond the small plumes of smoke and embers that rose from around them. One, two more fell to a clean shot to the head, the other finished by the burning plasma, only to be replaced. “Let some cross a-time, section off the rest. Kill enough of them, they’ll prioritize their own survival over territory.” The modulated voice was fraught with an unwavering calmness as this was stated.

As if to demonstrate, his wrist swiveled off towards his right, spewing more flames forth to drive one group further back from the edge of the ring with a hurried skitter, only to allow his left hand to continue firing the carbine as if a sidearm. Indicator was getting lower, but ammo conservation was of little concern for the moment.

Last edited:

Arbra
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsabers

"Sounds like a plan," Valery said, her voice calm and far more serious than it was earlier. Whenever it wasn't necessary, Valery enjoyed joking around and keeping the atmosphere relaxed. But the second she was in a serious situation, that fiery intensity came out, and she would make sure that safety and mission success were prioritized over anything. She wasn't going to let some beasts cause any harm to them, and Samuel had that mindset as well.

So while the fire continued to burn around them, Valery would tap into the Force to help manipulate the fire he turned against the creatures. It helped section them off into groups, and with careful weapons fire, Samuel would easily be able to take them down. At the same time, Valery kept her blade drawn and focused on those trying to cross the barrier of fire.

His ranged skills and her melee abilities worked perfectly in tandem.

"I think that should do it!" Valery soon called out, as several spiders were starting to retreat. Too many had fallen, and for them to keep fighting would now be considered suicide.

Once enough of them had departed, Valery exhaled slowly and killed the ring of fire in an instant, leaving the two in just a room filled with some smoke. Not enough to be a hazard, but it was far hotter and it showed as beats of sweat began to run down her face. "Well, seems it has turned into a trip to the sauna, hm?" she chuckled and glanced around at the tunnels they had used to escape.

"I doubt we'll be seeing those again unless we get in trouble."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom