Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private How to Distract a Padawan

New_GA1.png

Outfit: Baggy White Pants, Black Tank Top Shirt
Tags: Vayla Mirana Vayla Mirana | Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris

div-goldiguess.png

It was a difficult leap of faith for Vemres to stay on Coruscant during the Mandalorian invasion of his home planet. Though he considered his being sent to the Jedi as a punishment, he had managed to learn quite a few things. In the process he managed to grow a healthy respect for the Jedi, and decided against pushing too hard against their philosophies. With that being the case he recognized what sort of “help” he would be on Kiffu against the Mandalorians and decided not to even request to join the group of Jedi that would defend his home planet. Just hearing of the potential of an attack made Vemres quite antsy. He could only imagine what lengths he would take if he had boots on the ground. So he stayed put.

The faith he placed in the Galactic Alliance and his fellow Jedi was warranted, even if the outcome of the battle of Kiffu did not come out in their favor. Following the events Vemres’ respect for keeping his emotions away from the situation disappeared however and he submitted a request to be sent to Kiffu, or to more directly affect any further Mandalorian infiltrations into Alliance space.

Not long after his request was made, Vemres received word that he was to be moving off of Coruscant. The destination was quite a surprise however. He was not heading home to Kiffu. That wasn’t truly a surprise, but he also was not heading to the frontlines. Instead he was to be stationed on New Cov. The jungle surroundings allowed for some good workouts, but Vemres was still thinking too much on what was happening with the Mandalorians.

Word came just the other day that he was heading out on an actual mission. Vemres was again disappointed with what the mission involved. A short trip to nearby Linuri to investigate some ruins that may or may not have anything to do with the Jedi Order. As the bigger jolt to Vemres was that he was to be accompanied by not one, but two Jedi Knights. ”At least I don’t recognize the names,” Vemres grumbled to himself as he awaited the arrival of the knights. ”And they aren’t Masters. So I guess it could be worse.”

Truthfully, with the kind of role that Vayla Mirana served, both as a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Shadow, she had heard more reports of the war than she had actually seen up close. It wasn’t that she was indifferent, just distant, off on missions that took her to the very fringes of space.

It was no coincidence, however, that Vayla’s return to the Mid Rim from the Outer Rim coincided with a Jedi Padawan who needed some assistance; a distraction, even. Though he wasn’t alone, in more than one sense.

Their experiences may differ, and they did not know each other, but alongside Knight Mirana would be Knight Eldoris, and together they could remind the younger Jedi why he chose this life. This would be as much practice as it would be an adventure.

Alongside this endeavor, Vayla could personally use some company. She wouldn’t even be breaking away from her assignment given the investigation of ruins on the planet. She just would not go alone.

Linuri had a temperate climate, moderate seasons, with this balance reflected in its mountains and oceans, forests and deserts. The former is where a starship flew toward.

The light freighter hovered above the plain, finding purchase a safe distance from the Jedi already present. After the Star’s Sanctum landed, another Jedi exited, descending the ramp.

Vayla was dressed in white robes streaked in blue, hood lowered, the garment concealing whatever was beneath, including her lightsaber. She walked with hands clasped behind her back, greeting her contemporary with a smile.

“Padawan Vemres Dav,” she tilted her head in acknowledgment. “I am Knight Vayla Mirana.” She looked about the vicinity. “Nice day. Sun’s out.” Now they’d wait for their third companion.

Vemres Dav Vemres Dav Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris

Objective: To distract both herself and a padawan from the ongoing war
Tags: Vayla Mirana Vayla Mirana | Vemres Dav Vemres Dav

When Cori had received word that she was to partake in a mission that wasn't directly related to the war, it came as a huge relief. The endless battles against the Mandalorians were slowly whittling away at her spirit, and she desperately needed a change of pace. It would be good for her this change of everything, not only scenery but also of company. As she came out of hyperspace and flew towards the planet before her, Cori wondered what her companions for this mission would be like.

Vemres Dav, she had been told through the hushed whispers of other Jedi, was a troubled teenage padawan. His home world had been attacked by the Enclave recently, and apparently it had hit him hard. Cori felt awful for him - she couldn't even begin to imagine that kind of pain. This mission serve as a chance for her to help him, and Cori swore to herself that she would do whatever she could to lift his spirits. As for Vayla Mirana, the ersansyr had never met her personally, but she had heard that she was a good person and a hard worker, and that was all she really needed to know. She'd learn the rest soon anyway, seeing as she was about to land.

Gently, the Jedi knight lowered her starship to the ground of the hangar, beside to a 3-Z light freighter. Hopping out of her ship, Cori noted two individuals nearby, who were waiting for her. She shot them a smile before walking over, careful not to let the silks of her outfit pick up dust. Was it vain for a Jedi knight to wear flowing, sheer silks around her arms and an intricately decorated top with matching makeup? Maybe. But hey, that wasn't going to stop her.

"Padawan Vemres Dav and Jedi knight Vayla Mirana," she beamed upon reaching the duo. "It's so good to finally meet you two. I'm Cordelia Eldoris, but I insist you call me Cori. Everyone does."

New_GA1.png

Tags: Vayla Mirana Vayla Mirana | Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris Cordelia 'Cori' Eldoris

div-goldiguess.png

The first of his compatriots (most likely overseers) to arrive was Vayla Mirana. A blue-skinned woman a few years older than Vemres if his judgment was correct. The way she was dressed and walked, Vemres thought she would definitely be the type that would expect him to stay in line and follow the tenants of the Order. As long as they didn’t come across any Mandalorians on this mission Vemres told himself that he’d do his best not to make Vayla’s job that hard. Of course he did keep an open mind to the possibility that she dressed as such so that she presented the correct Jedi image, and things might change once the mission began. ”Hello Knight Mirana,” Vermes said with a subtle bow of his shoulders. ”It is good to meet you. I am looking forward to giving my mind something to concentrate on other than the normal exercises that a masterless Padawan is given. Hopefully the weather will hold out for the duration of the mission.”

Not long after Vayla’s arrival the other knight arrived. Vemres wasn’t sure where Knight Eldoris came from. He hadn’t bothered to look into the history of either of the knights that were assigned to the mission. He figured it would be more fun that way. If Vayla looked like the dictionary definition of a Jedi Knight, Cordelia was the opposite. Long multi-colored hair and expressive outfit certainly caught Vermes’ attention. He had considered himself a bit of a misfit in his resistance to wear traditional Jedi garb, but Knight Eldoris outdid him by a large magnitude. ”Welcome to the team Cori,” Vemres responded, glad to ignore the formality of titles. Though he did offer Cori the same subtle bow as he had Vayla.

”So we’re heading to Linuri to investigate ruins huh?” Vemres stated with a smile that was obviously forced. ”Is that the sort of thing that you two specialize in? I’m still working on the basics, probably why no Master yet. But I’ve got my own saber, I’m in great shape and my inherent skill in psychometry is likely to be useful in searching through ruins. I know this mission is meant to keep me from charging off on a personal mission. So give me whatever work you think is needed. I will try my best to stay on course…And of course I will take any advice you have. Other than your input however, I think we’re ready to get going.”

A subtle bow from the young man, but the gesture was just as loud in its manner. Already, the Padawan struck the Knight as one who was okay with being polite. A trivial observation, maybe, save that the Knight had met more than one Padawan who was outright arrogant and discourteous.

“Hopefully,” she agreed with Vemres’ statement, gazing off into the distance, on the sunlit horizon. The weather could change in a moment, rain that may not hesitate, but Vayla came with a backpack of properly assorted equipment for whatever the climate decided.

With the arrival of their third companion, another Jedi Knight, Vayla offered no judgment to the latter’s outfit. It wasn’t her place and there was no dress code anyway as far as she knows. So Vayla did the same as Vemres had to her, offering Cordelia a simple bow.
Cori, rather, as she insisted. While Vayla had her own customs and traditions she did not seek to impose them on her team. This was no meeting of the Jedi Council, but three Jedi on a mission to explore ruins and help build up one another.

“Indeed,” Vayla agreed with Vemres’ speech. “Personally, exploring ruins and spelunking and the like is something of a pastime of mine.” They of course had no idea that she was a Jedi Shadow. Just a Knight.

“Psychometry, you say?” It was no simple ability you learned. It was a gift. Evidently this Padawan had it. Along with a lightsaber. All he needs now is a master. “There will be plenty of work, rest assured, but your skills ought to offset your experience with exploring ruins.”

Trading her smile for a look of purpose, Vayla gestured toward the mountains just beside them. “Which are said to be within. Either toward the highest peak or below the surface, in the deepest pits of darkness.” She shrugged. “Fortunately we have lightsabers and I have a flashlight. Yay?”

Objective: Ruin exploring!

”Welcome to the team Cori,” Vemres responded, glad to ignore the formality of titles. Though he did offer Cori the same subtle bow as he had Vayla.

”So we’re heading to Linuri to investigate ruins huh?” Vemres stated with a smile that was obviously forced. ”Is that the sort of thing that you two specialize in? I’m still working on the basics, probably why no Master yet. But I’ve got my own saber, I’m in great shape and my inherent skill in psychometry is likely to be useful in searching through ruins. I know this mission is meant to keep me from charging off on a personal mission. So give me whatever work you think is needed. I will try my best to stay on course…And of course I will take any advice you have. Other than your input however, I think we’re ready to get going.”

Cori grinned back at Vemres, appreciative of his willingness to abandon her title. To be honest, she was still struggling to get used to it herself, even if it had already been a few years since she was knighted. She listened curiously to what he had to say.

"Physcometry? That's an incrediably rare skill," Cori said appreciatively. "I've only ever read about it before, so I am excited to see it in person."

“Indeed,” Vayla agreed with Vemres’ speech. “Personally, exploring ruins and spelunking and the like is something of a pastime of mine.” They of course had no idea that she was a Jedi Shadow. Just a Knight.

“Psychometry, you say?” It was no simple ability you learned. It was a gift. Evidently this Padawan had it. Along with a lightsaber. All he needs now is a master. “There will be plenty of work, rest assured, but your skills ought to offset your experience with exploring ruins.”

Knight Mirana spoke next, also very clearly impressed by the padawan's ability. Cori's eyes lit up with relief as she mentioned her expertise in ruin exploration. That would be very beneficial to the Ersansyr, who had very little experience with the topic. She tended to be more on the frontlines, defending the Galactic Alliance, rather than unlocking the secrets of the past. So this would be an exciting learning curve for her.

Trading her smile for a look of purpose, Vayla gestured toward the mountains just beside them. “Which are said to be within. Either toward the highest peak or below the surface, in the deepest pits of darkness.” She shrugged. “Fortunately we have lightsabers and I have a flashlight. Yay?”

"Shall we make our way there, then?" Cori replied ecitedly. "Don't worry about flashlights. I can see in the dark, and my eyes glow. So you'll be able to find me very easily down there." She laughed a little at her own joke. "I have a feeling this is going to be fun!"

New_GA1.png

div-goldiguess.png

Vaya seemed to be the one who should probably be leading the expedition. She was an experienced explorer, especially it seemed in caves, which if Vemres understood correctly would be the environment they were heading into. Vaya shared the hope that weather would stay clear, but Vemres knew better than to do any more than hope for the best. ”I’m glad to have an expert along then. I’ve trained for such a thing, so I don’t expect to slow anyone down. At the same time I don’t have any field experience to lean on,” he said to Vaya with a smile and a nod of his head.

Both of the knights seemed impressed with Vemres’ ability in psychometry. ”I made it to my teens with my own people. It is said that psychometry is a trait that is not unheard of, but I don’t have any knowledge of anyone else that has it. Of course, I ignored it as some invasive wild thought until I was told the truth by a Jedi.” Vemres gave a bit of a shrug. There were surely some good uses for it, and it seemed someone thought it might be good for ruin exploring, but Vemres was more focused on physical things in the present than the past, so he wasn’t nearly as impressed as the knights.

Both knights seemed to be ready to be on their way and Vemres figured it was just as well to get things underway as to meander around and put it off. If he proved that he could be of value in the field perhaps the Order would send him after the Mandalorians, or home to see what he could do to help. He was about to head into the shuttle when Cori mentioned her glowing eyes and dark vision. ”I’ll just lean on you then Cori if things get too dark,” Vemres said with a chuckle. His training was sufficient enough that with his lightsaber and the Force he would be able to make due in total darkness.

”You are right. We should be on our way,” Vemres then said and started off to the shuttle. The flight from the temple to the ruins was uneventful. The Jedi were mostly quiet preparing for the adventure until they started to land. Vemres moved to get a good look out the viewport. The landscape changed several times as they descended, finally making landing at the base of a good sized mountain. ”I guess we’re here,” Vemres said, almost jumping out of his chair and heading to the exit ramp. ”The documents I saw said the caves start about a third the way up the mountain. Guess we just start hiking?” looked to the knight, especially Vaya. ”So did you volunteer for this mission for the fun?” Vemres asked Cori. ”I assume you’ve got some field experience, but you didn’t say it was in this sort of exploring.”

The mountains looked as welcoming as foreboding, with jade crown forests and rivers that sparkled like liquid sapphire—beside jagged cliffs, treacherous wind and whatever wildlife might be less than kind.

The peaks amid the range would be coldest, naturally, so it made sense why any civilization within this one mountain would have staked their claim a third of the way up it. Warmth meant everything—whereas documents were one thing. Hopefully there hasn't been an avalanche or anything to cause a cave-in.

Best way to find out for sure where these ruins were and what state they were in was to do what explorers did best: explore. “Hiking is a great start, Pad!” Could she call him Pad? His decision. No punishment but a nickname Vay gave to any Padawan under her tutelage, temporary or permanent.

At that, the Pantoran adjusted her backpack as Vemres asked Cori a question. Maybe her answer might be similar to Vayla’s: For fun as much as for progress. To the Pantoran that meant training, discovering, helping herself, her compatriots and those in her path who needed a hand.

“We can scale that wall,” Vay gestured toward a mountain face. There were steep ridges amid the incline, grooves barely accommodating fingers or boots, but they were Jedi and it was one way that might shave some time off their route.

“While our present path looks like it winds around the mountainside.” That meant it was harder to determine any obstacles that awaited them, short of the Force, though it was a safer if maybe a longer way to those caves.

“What do you two say?”

Objective: Ruin exploring!

”So did you volunteer for this mission for the fun?” Vemres asked Cori. ”I assume you’ve got some field experience, but you didn’t say it was in this sort of exploring.”

"Oh! Well, theres a whole bunch of reasons why I went on this mission," Cori replied cheerfully. "Yes, I did figure it would be fun, and a nice change of pace. You would be right to assume that I haven't really done much of this kind of thing before - my field experience mostly consists of fighting on the front lines and using my abilities as a prophet to help others. When I was a padawan, I used to do lots of diplomacy missions, because my master was really good at those. No one could solve problems like him." Cori smiled a little at the memories her words brought to mind. Maybe she should introduce Vemres to Master Adelio, he would surely be able to help him with his grief over his home planet.

“We can scale that wall,” Vay gestured toward a mountain face. There were steep ridges amid the incline, grooves barely accommodating fingers or boots, but they were Jedi and it was one way that might shave some time off their route.

“While our present path looks like it winds around the mountainside.” That meant it was harder to determine any obstacles that awaited them, short of the Force, though it was a safer if maybe a longer way to those caves.

“What do you two say?”

"Hmm," Cori hummed thoughtfully. "Both options are good. But I like the idea of scaling the wall best. I reckon with enough of a running start, and a little bit of the force, I could probably jump to about a quarter of the way up. I like acrobatics, so this would be fun for me, but if any of you are afraid of heights, then I guess we should probably take the safer route."

Cori looked to Vemres Dav to hear his opinion on the matter.

New_GA1.png

div-goldiguess.png

Vaya seemed to agree that hiking was a good start. She called him Pad, Vemres wondered for a moment if he should read into that somehow. Did she give all her comrades nicknames and nothing about Vemres struck her as interesting enough to come up with something original? That was Vemres’ paranoia speaking, and his confidence stomped that thought out pretty quickly. The most likely reason for the nickname “Pad” was because it was too hard to remember every Padawan you worked with’s name when you are a field operating Jedi Knight.

Cori asked the questions about why she was here and what her past consisted of. She was a bit more cheery than Vemres ever imagined himself being. That wasn’t necessarily a bad thing, but he would have to remind himself not to go to her if he wanted a pity party without someone trying to cheer him up. When she revealed that most of her time had been spent doing real fighting, Vemres guessed that was pretty good reason to be cheerful at getting a simple research mission, even if it meant babysitting a grumpy Padawan. ”Did you manage to pick up skills in diplomacy from your Master? I don’t think that’s something I could ever be good at. As for the fighting. I truly hope that I will get the chance to bash some Mandalorian heads sooner than later. I suppose that’s why I’m here rock climbing though huh? A little too eager to fight.”

After readying her gear and surveying the options Vaya voiced their options to move forward. At least the ones she saw. Quick and straight up, or around the way that took less talent, but had more variables. Vemres thought about it as Cori answered, noting that Vaya didn’t give her own preference.

Vemres smiled at Cori’s explanation for her preference. And the reasons to choose the “safer route”. Vemres looked up the wall that would be the more challenging route. He unconsciously flexed his right arm as he judged what would be required to make the climb. ”I’m not afraid of heights. And I pride myself on maintaining the height of physical readiness. I might not be as quick as you guys since I might fall a little bit behind on the Force powers scale. But I’ll get up there fast enough, I think we should scale the wall too.”

Cori’s enthusiasm was clearly contagious on Vayla’s face as the latter smiled in agreement with the first option. While a walk around the mountain would certainly be scenic, the adventurer and climber within her wanted to scale that wall like a ladder and she was glad that she was not alone in said notion.

When Vemres expressed his content with that same option, his flexing of the arm was met with a clap of the hands. “That's fantastic, Pad! Glad we are on the same page!” Vay hadn’t given her preference until that very moment. “I climb up the tallest towers and down the deepest dungeons as a pastime,” she winked back at Cori’s challenge about fear of heights amid acrobatics. “So both of you are speaking my language.”

The trio navigated to the foot of said wall where they would soon be negotiating their way to the top. Cori had mentioned using the Force for a running start, and Vayla might add that keeping the Force in their grips for the entire duration would be of benefit, but there was more to it. Was there? Maybe. Truthfully, Vay just liked using her tools in her backpack. They were just too cool.

“I’ve brought pitons, carabiners, rope, hexes but no portaledges, oh and a poop tube too. Kidding.” What was no joke was her equipment being fit for no picnic if worst came to worst. Her items were equally suitable for exploring a mountain’s surface as a cave either way.

“Running start, eh?”
She slapped a hand on Cori’s shoulder before flexing her own. “It isn’t a race but UP AND AWAY”

And, like that, Vayla drew the air around her and jumped. Her fingers found a crevice a distance above that would have taken an ordinary climber those many extra seconds. “Keep up, everyone!”

Objective: Lets climb this rock!

”Did you manage to pick up skills in diplomacy from your Master? I don’t think that’s something I could ever be good at. As for the fighting. I truly hope that I will get the chance to bash some Mandalorian heads sooner than later. I suppose that’s why I’m here rock climbing though huh? A little too eager to fight.”

"Hmm. Did I manage to pick up diplomacy skills? That's a good question," Cori answered, taking a moment to think about it. "I picked up his way of dealing with conflict, by treating the other party with as much respect and kindness as possible. At least that's what I try to do. It doesn't always work, though. And I...I don't always get it right either."

Cori listened as Vemres Dav explained how he felt about the Mandalorians to her. Summoning as much of her old master's wisdom as she could, she answered: "I understand your eagerness to fight, especially when it comes to defending your homeworld. I would do anything to defend mine. I don't think that the order holds that against you, I just think they want to protect you from the other side of the force. The call of the darkside is really strong on the battlefield, you know? And anyway, I wouldn't underestimate the importance of ruin exploring. We could find pretty much anything here!"

“I climb up the tallest towers and down the deepest dungeons as a pastime,” she winked back at Cori’s challenge about fear of heights amid acrobatics. “So both of you are speaking my language.”

“Running start, eh?”
She slapped a hand on Cori’s shoulder before flexing her own. “It isn’t a race but UP AND AWAY”

And, like that, Vayla drew the air around her and jumped. Her fingers found a crevice a distance above that would have taken an ordinary climber those many extra seconds. “Keep up, everyone!”

Cori grinned as the other two Jedi agreed to climb the cliff. As she took a few steps back, stretching, Vayla gave her a friendly slap before jumping up. Cori stuck her tongue out playfully at the other knight's challenge.

"We'll soon see who is keeping up with who!" She called back, before launching herself forward, using the force to double the height of her jump. As she came down for her landing, Cori caught a scraggly tree branch poking out of the mountainside and used the momentum of her jump to immediately swing on it, flinging herself up onto a small outcropping only big enough for her to tiptoe on. For one uneasy moment she felt herself wobble, but was quickly able to find her balance again. Smirking, she turned back to Vayla, who was a few inches below her. "See? I'm already above you!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom