Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How Does Recon Work??

Hi, all!

Okay, let me elaborate on the title. I know how it works, but now how I should write it here on Chaos. Does that make sense?

Jrurki is a SIS exologist specializing in reconnaissance and aerial photography, and often assists the GA.
If I get her into raids and/or invasions, I don't know how recon would work to be balanced and fair, I guess. I'm currently working on a Factory sub for an aerial camera that she'd have attached to a modified X-wing, but I'm asking what the limits should be.

Has this sort of "play style" already been decided upon?
Are there any rules that I should keep in mind while writing her?

Thanks for any help you can offer me! ^-^

[member="Jrurki Liz"]

I do a ton of this.

Step 1: Figure out what the other guys have there. Search the planet name in approved locations and approved companies. If there's a bunch of ambiguity, that can be resolved at...

Step 2: Reach out. First IC post, you show up in your scout ship or whatever at long range, you start scanning, you tag their faction leaders, and you see if they respond to tell you what you detected.

Step 3: Investigate based on what you get. If they don't respond, poke around a little so you know, IC, about the stuff you found in step 1. That's a small win right there, and a great way to avoid meta later on.

Step 4: This is normally when interference shows up. Run for your life. Take damage. Escape or pull a transmit-and-die or whatever. In my experience, nobody cares what you scanned if they can shoot your ship into a cheese grater.

Step 5: Figure out what actions you want to take based on what you saw IC.

I dislike coordinating things OOC - it kills spontaneity, to my mind - so I follow those steps to make sure the other side feels fairly treated all along the way. The principles are pretty easy to adapt for stuff that doesn't involve a ship, too.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
[member="Jrurki Liz"]

Always nice to see another fan of intelligence warfare. Just to give you an example of your opposition, here's a small selection of First Order recon-style ships.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

I don't typically do dedicated scouting threads, but I tend to integrate recon vessels into larger fleet engagements, largely as a way to justify the sort of meta knowledge we as writers have. I also always assume the enemy is doing the same thing.As a rule of thumb, if you assume the other side knows what they're doing and is good at their job, you won't ruffle many feathers. It also makes writing more interesting, I find. If you look at the 1v1 engagement between myself and [member="Gir Quee"] in this most recent invasion I think that's a good example of playing fair with scouting and intel collection in a big-picture thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom