Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do Credits Work?

So, I am making a Bounty Hunter character and am looking at what sort of gear I want him to have.

I see nothing in the character creation that says you can or can't have something. Except for the off-limits technology.

But, I see we have the 'Market Place'

Is this just some sort of IC character place to help promote RP and such? Or is it actually used for people to fund armies and factions? Is there a 'limit' on what starting characters can have as far as equipment and/or credits?

Celty Ikon

Hammer-loving Scarf Pirate
[member="Alexander Jourgun"]

Credits are... a little bit subjective. They depend on who your character is. If you're living on a farm, it's basically assumed that you can't just up and buy military-grade armor. Tbh, I sometimes feel bad about using the marketplace, so I build custom stuff that I think my character would be able to theoretically make ICly...

Now, within reason, there's nothing wrong with making a seriously rich person. It's just not always appreciated by other writers.

What [member="Alexander Jourgun"] said.

Its up too you, but if you are going to play a BH that need cash it may even be more funt to RP gear gaining so to speak. Build your character up, job by job.

Sometimes BHs have come to me asking for jobs and it turns out they are richer the Sempra. I guess its fine but it makes one think why they even bother.
- yeah I know the thrill of thr hunt is a factor but still - working because it makes a living makes sense.

Just some random not entirely thought through reflections ;)

Cheers!

[member="Celty Ikon"]

As others have said, credits (and the Market Place) are mostly for RP/IC/story purposes. We don't have a system to objectively track the wealth of all characters, primarily because that'd be insane to administer. I suspect it'd make the US healthcare claim system look like kindergarten math.

In any case, give your character wealth within reason that makes sense given his/her IC financial situation. There's nothing wrong with a wealthy character, but it should make sense within the context of that character.

A novice bounty hunter just starting out isn't going to have the same wealth as Andrew Carnegie, for example.

I did some quick digging and found an approximation. This is the math, but with US inflation, thr number is closer to 1.5 credits per dollar, or a one credit is roughly 67 cents. Hope that helps

Kay-Larr

Sphaera Tea Company Owner

I often keep track on my own of how much credits I have, given the types of jobs that my character has. She's had next to nothing, to a COO's salary and back again.

As the others have said, it's all up to the writer. I love having limited funds as it creates great stories at trying to gain enough credits for particular tasks :)

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic

How do credits work... Well aside from the idea of being a universal currency it is a great means of adding a slightly more immersive part of your roleplay experience.

It can be arbitrarily said that your character has wealth or comes from wealth and thus may not have much to worry about it.

Its all up to how you much you want to involve it with your character along with the circumstances of how your character lives.
For example my character Caius Flavian is a member of a military/government organization and so a lot of things are or can be provided for him such as, weapons, armor, healthcare, shelter, clothing, food, and receives regular pay. However all of those things can just as easily be taken away. So credits play a role in my characters personal life He is member of a company, invests it into different projects that hopefully will have greater returns (he is also near broke and totally will be riding the IOU wave until he gets back to the Empire...)

You are a new bounter hunter or mercenary? Great what did you start with in terms of gear and what motivates your character to get more? Now what do you have to do to acquire these items or things? Once you get the credits do you want to keep track of them? Sure if it helps the immersion or meh I just get the stuff and say "thanks to the last mission I got enough credits to afford these things"

So yeah the market place is definitely a means of providing incentive to "spend" your credits on things, it is however Out of Character oriented more so than In Character. I've made that little snafu a few times but what is great is finding a "vendor" out of character and saying "Hey I want to get some of the gear your company sells for my character" so you set up a roleplay thread where that transaction takes place. Hell you can even write it off as a tertiary thing such as "today I'm going to submit an order for X number of plasteel armor plates cause I like to have extra gear just in case".

As [member="Celty Ikon"] stated you can go about getting gear in others way than the market place as well. Perhaps having performed a mission for another Character they give you"stuff" or maybe you want go forge your own armor and gunsmith your own blaster so you can about it that way as well! Crochet a sweater! (note you ned to buy needle and thread for that one soooo credits may be required"

You could steal a ship rather than buy a ship.

Credits just allow you to acquire things legitmately or illegitmately but are really just another optional tool in aiding your writing.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom