Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Hoverboards & Segways

"…Really?"

"Yeah. I saw you giving CPR to the guy, too. On the club surveillance footage." Jeb cleared his throat awkwardly. "Might wanna get tested, man."

Inanna grit her teeth. "Oh, for crying out loud—"

"I'm just saying!"

"You have proof of that?"

"Of what? The dude's records are all public. You can find them with a Holonet search. Same with the other three I sent the robocop after." He rattled off their names. One definitely had to be Chiss; the other two sounded Human and Zeltron. "The first guy was a drug dealer who was trying to get little kids hooked in my neighborhood. Real scumbag. That was where the whole idea got started."

"And- hold on, you saw him killing someone before all this? Do you know who he was being used by?"

"I thought it was you two. Robocop thinks you're his owner, after all. But then you started whipping out lightsabers, and I realized I was in some deep chit." Jeb's throat bobbed as he swallowed. "No hard feelings, right?"

Inanna didn't answer him. She was studying the armless Ayreon, standing statue-still at the other end of the alleyway. "Can't you check his memory to find out?" she asked.

"He self-deleted right after I captured him. Was a total blank slate. Sort of convenient for me, actually."

"How do you even know he killed that guy over gambling debts?"

"'Cause that's what he babbled about when the giant HRD pointed a gun in his face. 'I'll get you the money, I just need a little more time'. Bang!"

"You were actually there?"

"Yeah, working night shift as a dishwasher at this restaurant. Came in while the guy was having a late night dinner alone. Robocop didn't say anything. He just blew his brains across the wall and then stood there, like he was waiting to get caught or something. Scared the chit out of all of us. But me, I'm resourceful. I took the droid before the cops came."

Cato cringed, "Chill man, it's CPR, not mouth-to-mouth," He waved a hand as if to dismiss the notion. Jeb began rattling off his tale, though his declaration of 'no hard feelings' was met with stony silence from them both. Cato's gaze shifted to Ayreon, "Owing money could mean a lot of things…" He cocked an eyebrow, almost critiquing Jeb's methods. Cato was a vigilante once himself, after all. It was starting to feel like he was back on Narsh.

"Any reason you couldn't just… turn these people in to the police?" Cato had killed criminals during his own time, but only ever when he didn't have another option. Jeb was more toeing the line of 'extrajudicial murder'.

"It kinda looked like you were breathing for him on the surveillance footage..."

Thankfully the subject changed. Cato seemed to be mulling over Jeb's vigilantism. Probably reflecting on his time as Moonlighter. Inanna, meanwhile, was getting tired of holding the rat in a headlock.

"Well, the guy had a family, and it was just money, so I consider what the HRD did to be pretty fethed," Jeb shot back. "Turn them in to the police? Oh, gee, why didn't I think of that? Hm, maybe because the dealers and predators have already been to jail. In some cases, they've been there several times. They go through rehab and get released onto the streets, then go right back to doing the same old chit. Can't keep committing crimes if they're dead."

"That's true," Inanna muttered with a sigh. Dawn was on the horizon, the sunlight making her squint. "Cato, should we... keep these guys around? I have plenty of cargo space back on my ship."

Jeb squirmed in her grip. "Hold the feth up! No way! Robocop!—“

Ayreon, don’t move,” Inanna commanded. The HRD hadn’t moved at all in the first place, remaining statuesque, but she gave the order as a preventative measure. Just in case.

Cato Harth Cato Harth

Cato stared unamusedly, his eye twitching slightly at the rat's snark, "You seem to know a lot about these guys." He finally said, then reached down to snatch Jeb by his scruff, "Until we figure out something better to do with him. Unless he'd rather get the same treatment as his targets?"

He looked at Ayreon, who remained frozen, then strolled past the machine, "So now he bothers to listen to us?" The functions didn't all piece together for Cato, but he also wasn't the owner.

Last edited:
"You seem to know a lot about these guys."

"Yeah, I know chit. It's what I do—wha—hey!" Jeb squeaked as Cato grabbed him by the scruff. He scowled. "Yeah, because killing scum makes me just as bad as them, right? Tell me another one, nerf herder. You've been reading too many comic books. This is real life!"

"Shut up, will ya?" Rubbing her tired eyes, Inanna approached Ayreon. He stared straight ahead, unmoving. "Hey, Ayreon," she said. He blinked and looked at her.

Well, did she really want the giant killing machine on her ship? She supposed it was better than bringing him to the hotel room with them. Her heart sank as she realized she couldn't go home to Serena tonight. Not as long as they were dealing with these two.

"Follow us," she finally commanded. He fell into step between her and Cato. Before heading out, Inanna stooped to pick up his severed arms, carrying them just in case.

"Well, now what?" she muttered, pacing the floor of her ship. Both Jeb and Ayreon had been secured. It was past dawn, and though she was exhausted Inanna couldn't sleep. "Do we turn them over to the police? Not the Zeltros police, but some sort of authority. Preferably one that can't be controlled by a hacker with enough skill and chutzpah to pull it off..."

And what about the man who was murdered over gambling debts? What about Bithia Grayson? What about, what about, what about? Inanna made a noise of frustration. "I feel like we're being led on a damned andesite hunt across the galaxy... and it's all my fault for not taking better care of my property."

Cato raised Jeb to eye level, and stared at him, "You're a rat guy who hacked a robot into being your personal vigilante hitman. If that's not the most comic book bullshit I ever heard…" He turned away, uninterested in arguing further. This night was already complicated enough, and now they were just adding more things to the pile. Ayreon at least wasn't being a problem, for now.

Back on the ship, Cato had drifted in and out of wakefulness. He had to call his mom again to confirm they still had more business to attend to, meaning she had to take care of Serena a while longer. Not that the elder Serena minded spending time with her granddaughter, but the situation was more complicated than anyone would have expected, "Maybe? I dunno," There was a lot still uncertain. Turning them in would certainly take them off their hands, but would it help in the long run?

Inanna was certainly feeling the frustration, it seemed. Cato, more resigned to the state of affairs, just shrugged, "Can't beat yourself up over it now. We'll deal with it," He smirked slightly, "Although I'd probably refrain from calling the guy who used to be a living, breathing person your 'property'."

"Do we have any other leads right now?"

"Although I'd probably refrain from calling the guy who used to be a living, breathing person your 'property'."

"All right, he was my responsibility," she corrected. "And, uh... Looks like we're going to see Bithia." She couldn't think of any other leads.

Cato didn't have any ideas either. They were both clueless, and would probably remain so for some time. Certainly for as long as they were sleep deprived.

"In the morning. Er, after we get some shut eye." Hard to believe it was already morning. Giving him a sidelong glance, she stopped her pacing and sat beside him. "I feel bad about our night being ruined," she said softly, wrapping her arms around him, "and I hate to leave things unfinished. If you're too tired, that's fine, but I thought maybe..." She planted a kiss just below his ear. "Maybe we could still salvage it?..."

Cato Harth Cato Harth

Last edited:
"That's better," Cato tapped his forehead, "Bithia it is then." He reclined back with a groan, running a hand down his face. Making it through to morning without any proper sleep was miserable. But on the bright side, he was tired enough that a bit of daylight wouldn't get in the way of sleeping (that, and they could just shutter all the viewports anyway). Then it was just a matter of resetting that pesky circadian rhythm once this was all said and done.

But despite Cato's weariness, he couldn't help but perk up a bit at Inanna's suggestion. Call him predictable, an open book, or just easy to please, but it didn't take much convincing. "Well… we've already stayed up this long, right?" He smirked, laying a hand on Inanna's hip and pulling her closer, "What's a little bit longer?" He kissed her, and they both fell onto the couch.

Cato had been so tuckered out but the night's (and morning's) events, that sleep came rather easily to him, right there on the couch. Wakefulness still came to him rather unpleasantly, however. He wasn't sure what time it was, or how long he'd slept. Enough to get by for now, but he felt like he could still sleep for a few more years if he tried to. Cato rubbed his eyes groggily, and looked around for Inanna.

Right. There was still the whole Ayreon situation to deal with. He grumbled.

Inanna was right in front of Cato, her back molded against his front. His movements caused her to stir. “Mmm, five more minutes…

She’d had the foresight to set a course for Coruscant before she fell asleep. The ship took care of the rest—wonders of new technology. Rolling over to face Cato, she cuddled up close to him and hooked a leg over his hip. “Takes like, thirty six hours to get there,” she murmured, nuzzling his neck. “We have plenty of time…

The peace and quiet of the ship was disrupted by a banging from within the cargo hold.

“Hellooooo? I need to use the ‘fresher!”

Inanna groaned. She had forgotten all about Jeb the Rat. Well, that certainly made those thirty-six hours seem a lot more annoying. “You should probably be the one to help him, ‘cause you’re both boys,” she mumbled. In the meantime, she’d take the opportunity to move to the bedroom. The couch was nice, but the bed was nicer…

Cato blinked, and initially sought to pry apart from Inanna, before she swung around and kept them in place. He smirked, "What are we gonna do for thirty six hours...?" The moment, of course, was rudely interrupted by the reminder of Jeb's presence on board. Inanna's comment made him scoff a chuckle, "Just how much help do you think he needs?" Still, he'd accept guard duty as his responsibility.

Cato rolled off the couch, threw on a shirt, and headed for the cargo hold. He opened it up, and rubbed his eyes, "C'mon. Fresher's this way."

"What are we gonna do for thirty six hours...?"

I dunno. Read a book?" But judging by the way she was holding onto him, she had something far more physical in mind.

The moment was ruined by Jeb, of course. Inanna reluctantly released Cato, sat up and stretched.

"Just how much help do you think he needs?"

She smirked, but her concern was serious. "He could try to hurt himself or use something in the 'fresher as a weapon. You never know. He is a little weirdo, after all."

"I heard that!" came the voice from the cargo hold.

Inanna blew Cato a kiss before disappearing into the bedroom.

The rest of the journey to Coruscant proved uneventful. Jeb was given food, water, and 'fresher breaks as needed, and Inanna made one more attempt at getting Ayreon to talk, to no avail.

Bithia's HQ was a sleek silver starscraper, indistinguishable from the other towers littering the ecumenopolis. Before stepping out of her ship and onto the landing pad, Inanna pulled Cato aside. "One of us has to stay here with Jeb," she said. They couldn't bring him in to see Bithia; there was no point to doing that, and no telling how Bithia would react to the rat who had stolen Ayreon. "It makes more sense for me to be the one who brings Ayreon to her. Which means you should probably stay here."

Last edited:
"Sounds exciting," Cato smirked, leaning a little closer.

But unfortunately Jeb could not be ignored. Both because he was too annoying and because doing so would just mean an unfortunate mess to clean up. "Well, if I go out getting stabbed by a toothbrush, then honestly that's on me for not being better." He turned towards the source of Jeb's voice, and raised an eyebrow, "What else has he heard?" He whispered, smirking again, before he got dressed and went to go deal with the problem.

The time inevitably came that they arrived on Coruscant. Cato had gotten some of his things, and began moving towards the landing pad, when Inanna pulled him aside. He was noticeably uncertain about the plan, but the truth is it was probably the most effective. He looked out towards the building, then nodded, "Alright," Cato pulled her in and kissed her, afterwards handing her a small device, "Stay safe. And keep in touch."

With a parting kiss and a whispered, “I love you,” Inanna entered the building with Ayreon in tow. Then came the waiting.

How does your girlfriend know this Bithia chick, anyway?” Jeb could be heard asking.

Had Cato thought to ask that question, Inanna would’ve been forthcoming with her answer: “She’s the ex-wife of an ex-boyfriend of mine. Kind of weird, I know, but we used to be good friends. She helped me out when I needed it most, and… well, I figured Ayreon would be better off with her. She’s something of an android herself these days…

Inanna and Ayreon were admitted to a rectangular room which was part office, part lounge. Comfortable couches and recliners were available to sit on, and the space was dominated by a wall-length window providing a magnificent view of the ecumenopolis. No sooner had Inanna dumped Ayreon’s severed arms on the table and sunk into a plush armchair to wait, a hidden panel in the wall slid open and in walked Bithia Grayson.

Similar to Ayreon, she’d undergone a cybernetic transformation, though her transfer had been a willing one. She hadn’t aged a day since then, her new body remaining youthful and beautiful. “Hello, Inanna,” she greeted, flashing perfect white teeth in a smile. “Long time no see. How have you been?”

Pretty great, actually. How about you?

“I’ve had a little trouble lately.” Bithia’s inhuman gaze flicked toward Ayreon. “But I think you may have just solved my problem. Is that who I think it is?”

Ayreon regarded her stonily, his expression unchanged. Bithia walked over to her desk and picked up his severed arms as if they weighed nothing. “Where did you find him?”

It’s kind of a long story…” While Bithia worked on repairs, Inanna quickly regaled her with the account of how they had found him, leaving out a few choice details. She made no references to Jeb the Rat, instead stating that they thought Ayreon had been stolen by a hacker who was able to reprogram him.

Bithia’s smile vanished. With his arms now reattached, she circled around Ayreon, appraising her handiwork. “And you have no idea who the culprit is?” she asked.

Inanna shrugged. “Nothing. Although we didn’t look at his memory banks or anything like that.” She paused. “Say, Bithia… You had Ayreon for almost fifteen years, right? Did he ever show any signs of regaining his… humanity?

“There was no humanity left to regain,” Bithia murmured. Returning to her desk again, she opened a drawer and took out a thin briefcase. It was full of pieces of synthetic skin. Ayreon’s original skin, Inanna realized as Bithia proceeded to peel off his Zeltron face as if it were only a mask. “A lot of people believe that the mind and the body are two distinct, dual entities which can influence each other but are fundamentally separate,” she talked as she worked. “Take it from me—that simply isn’t the case. There is no ghost in the machine, no humanity without a human body. It’s why the entechment method invented by the Ssi-ruuk caused so much suffering… and it’s why Jon Ayreon died with his human body, not when his droid memory was wiped.”

After carefully attaching the old, familiar face of the HRD to his metal skull, she began replacing the rest of the pink skin on his body. It was uncomfortable to watch even for Inanna, who stared at Bithia’s back instead. “What was he doing on Zeltros, if you don’t mind me asking?

“A routine job for one of our clients.”

Murder is routine around here?

Bithia paused. “Well, we are in the business of killing. Soldiers, bounty hunters, assassins, spies—you name it, we employ them.”

I thought you only took certain jobs, though,” Inanna pressed. Reaching up to run a hand through her hair, she flicked on the little comlink device Cato had given her. “You only went after the ones who deserved it. Nothing cold-blooded.

“Times have changed, and so have we. The war is over, but we still need to work and make a profit. Besides, how do you measure what a life is worth? Aren’t we all guilty?”

Gambling debts aren’t worth dying over.

“Maybe the target should have thought of that before he gambled his way into debt.” Bithia frowned. “How did you know about that job, anyway? You said you hadn’t looked in his databanks.”

You’re right, I haven’t.” Inanna stood up. “Ayreon, let’s go. I think I let her borrow you a little longer than I should have.

As she turned to leave, Bithia suddenly lunged forward, uppercutting Inanna with bone-breaking force. The impact sent the Shi’ido sprawling backwards on the couch. Groaning, she sat up—just in time to see Bithia standing over her, a gun in her hand. Force, she was fast.

“Normally I would just shoot you now,” Bithia said, flicking off the safety on her gun. “But for old times’ sake, I’m going to give you one last chance to leave. Go back to your family and live, Inanna.”

What the hell happened to you?” Inanna asked, trying to buy time. “You’ve changed. You used to be a good person.

“So have you,” Bithia said. “I never thought you’d start giving a chit about criminals and lowlifes. What are you, a Jedi? These aren’t good people you’re trying to protect. They’re scum. If anything, I’m doing the galaxy a favor by getting rid of them...”

"You too…" Cato let her go, and stepped back.

It wasn't long before Jeb chimed in, to which Cato slowly turned around, and relayed what she had told him, "Old friends I guess. It's complicated. And she's my wife." He clarified.

Then, it was just a matter of waiting. Cato stayed at alert, pacing the ship with the communicator in hand. Then, the other end crackled through. He froze, and listened carefully to the exchange taking place. Bithia freely admitted to the nature of her work, and the increasing flexibility of her morals. The moment it seemed she was piecing together what Inanna had said, he was on the move. What he heard after, only made him move faster. Making a beeline for the room, he burst through, and without a moments hesitation he hurled his lightsaber at the hand he saw holding the gun.

Cato burst into the room, having had to barrel through security to get there. Bithia’s lip curled in a snarl, her finger tightening on the trigger—

Bang!

The lightsaber went flying, taking Bithia’s hand with it. She turned toward Cato, lunging forward and aiming a powerful punch at his head.

Meanwhile Inanna sat up, clutching her chest. “Ah, chit!” she exclaimed. Dust and bits of shattered blue and white crystal lay upon her chest, trickling over her clothes as she rose. The Star of Atrisia had taken the shot for her—and been vaporized as a result. "Ayreon!"

The HRD blinked, then looked at her.

"Get her ass!"

Ayreon glanced toward Bithia, who was whaling on Cato, then promptly strode over and wrapped his arm around her throat, pinning her in place. Though she struggled mightily, she could not escape his headlock.

Cato rolled his head out of the way just in time, sparing himself a nasty impact. He grabbed her wrist as it passed to try and restrict her movement, but it didn't exactly stop her from continuing her assault. With her cybernetic speed, there was little he could do beyond making sure he didn't get hit as much as possible.

Luckily, Ayreon had size on his side, and was able to interrupt the brawl by seizing her into a lock. Cato brushed himself off and watched Bithia, almost mockingly despite his silence, "Thank you, Ayreon." He turned and did a double take in Inanna's direction, quickly stepping in front of her, "Are you okay? You're not hurt are you?" He looked her up and down for signs of injury. The blaster shot, at least, had missed it's mark.

"Are you okay? You're not hurt are you?"

Inanna wasn’t hurt, although she was a little stunned. Both by Bithia’s apparent heel turn, and the fact that the Star of Atrisia was just… gone. She’d carried the damned thing for so many years, using it to save the lives of others as well as her own, yet with a single shot at point blank range it had been utterly destroyed. She was still brushing powdered pieces of crystal off herself when she stood up from the couch.

Yeah,” she mumbled, rubbing her sore jaw. It was probably broken, but… well, without the Star to speed things along, it was going to take a while to heal. Looks like I’m going to have to be a lot more careful from now on…

What about you?” she asked.

And then Bithia’s security arrived, a veritable battalion of armed droids. “Nobody move!” they ordered. “Drop your weapons!”

We were just leaving,” Inanna said coldly. Talking made her jaw ache, but she managed to spit out, “Ayreon, if any of them try to attack us, rip her head off.

She grabbed Cato’s lightsaber with the Force and handed it back to him, then pushed past the droids. Ayreon followed her, a furious Bithia in tow. They were definitely going to turn her over to the authorities. Inanna had not only transmitted the conversation to Cato, she had recorded it as well. Ayreon’s memory banks could be submitted as additional evidence, and then they could all go home—

Inanna stopped just outside of the building. The landing pad was empty. Her ship was gone.

Inanna seemed more or less fine. Other than the bruising across her cheek. That didn't look very pleasant. Cato reached out, but stopped himself just short of touching it, "I'm okay. Maybe you should avoid talking for a little bit."

They didn't have long to really consider that, as Bithia's security burst in a moment later. As it was thought, they had the upper hand, with Bithia only an order away from death. Cold, but a useful deterrent. Cato took his lightsaber back from Inanna, keeping it up just in case anyone tried something funny. But they made it out with evidence to boot.

Except for the fact that the ship was completely gone. Cato deflated, "Jeb." He pinched his brow, "You're fucking with me…" It was the nice ship. And it was his fault that Jeb was left unsupervised, too. A truly wonderful way to cap off this pain in the ass of an adventure. "Sorry."

For several seconds, Inanna just stared at the empty landing pad. Then, she giggled. Though it aggravated the pain in her jaw, she couldn’t help herself. Soon she was cracking up despite the throbbing pain it caused her.

Jeb the Rat had stolen her ship. The starship had been a wedding gift. A beautiful solar yacht which Hal had loved and meticulously cared for, despite having no idea how to pilot it; where her children had played, and the family used to sail out on the Erakhian sea together. A ship so full of painful memories of the family she had lost, she sometimes had a hard time looking at it.

Not that it was all bad, of course. That was also the ship where she and Cato had their first kiss, and where Serena had recovered from the effects of Narsh’s harsh atmosphere, the clean recycled air allowing her little lungs to heal.

Having it stolen brought mixed feelings. Sadness, anger, and unexpected relief. Perhaps her laughter was simply a release valve for all that—but then again, it was also hilarious to imagine Jeb breaking free of the cargo hold and commandeering the vessel at the first opportunity. How he was even able to reach the controls, she didn’t know.

I hope you didn’t leave anything valuable on board,” she said, trying to move her jaw as little as possible. “Awwwww, I don’t mind. It’s just stuff.” All that she cared about was either standing right beside her, or hanging out with Grandma back on Zeltros. Hmmm, now that was a predicament. How were they going to get back to Zeltros with no ship? "I guess we'll have to take a shuttle."

Of all the responses, Cato was not expecting laughter to be the one Inanna settled on. He slowly craned his head towards her, a bewildered expression etched on his face. Then, he started to accept the humor in it as well. His facade cracked, giving way to a smirk, then a grin, then laughter of his own. It was a cruel twist of the knife, steeped in ironic humor. One last inconvenience to throw their way.

Cato gradually recomposed himself, and sighed with a sense of weight off his shoulders, "Nah. Not really." He hugged Inanna from the side, "We'll have to get a new ship, too." Good thing they had a nice cushion of funds to help accommodate the problem. If they were running on Cato's original funds, that wouldn't even be an option. "C'mon, let's call the cops. Maybe they can drop us off at a transit station or something." Unless they wanted to bother with transporting a criminal on the speeder bus or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom