Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Honor Among Thieves

Mere days had passed since returning from vacation, and already Amea had found them a new job to undertake. There was an item that the client wanted ‘acquired’, supposedly something stolen from them and had found its way to a museum. Details had been sparse, but Amea had drawn out enough to feel content this wouldn’t land them in major trouble.

They had learned that particular lesson before. A previous job that had them just about escaping a situation that would have drawn a lot of targets on their back. Though neither of them had been too daunted by it, and had bounced back shortly after.

A sense of excitement filled the ship as they began planning the mission. First order of business was researching the location. And it became immediately apparent the place was just a typical public museum. Opened up to the general populace throughout the day. But a little bit of digging and they discovered a little secret.

The city’s rich elite used the venue to gather, to show off their wealth and bid in auctions. It happened every so often, roughly once a month. Once the doors closed to the public the interior was shifted to host the wealthy, and it just so happened the next event was happening in a few days time.

It gave the pair enough time to physically scout out the building. However, Amea immediately picked up on an issue the moment she set foot inside. They had Ysalamir, or Void Stone, or something else entirely that was located on the premises. A security measure no doubt, one that pretty much took out Amea’s Mechu-deru.

Nonetheless, the couple ventured into the museum during the day. Posing as any other citizens taking in the artwork on the display. All the while discreetly taking notes of numerous other things. Cameras and their blindspots, security checkpoints, patrols, eavesdropping on conversation, the list went on. They left no stone unturned, and left the museum with a wealth of knowledge to plan against.

That same night was dedicated to figuring out a way into the premises. A rooftop break-in was the first idea, but something in Evelyn’s mind was wary about that approach. She pulled up the HoloNet and asked Amea to work her hacking magic. Cracking through various firewalls and protections to access the private site that advertised the museum to their rich clientele.

Sure enough, underneath their ‘Security’ section was images of the rooftops being heavily guarded during the event. That was immediately crossed off. However, Evelyn was soon on track of another solution.

Recalling a conversation they had overheard, the museum had a number of their cleaning staff resign out of protest. Apparently the workload had gotten increasingly busy and hectic, with no sign of a pay rise. So the museum’s curator had to rely on reaching out to any and all local services to make up for the loss of employees.

It was a perfect avenue to gain access, and after a quick mock up of credentials, Evelyn became ‘Amelia Hargrove’. All that was left was gathering the practical equipment.

The Echani felt it was the perfect opportunity to dust off her old sneaking suit, or ‘catsuit’ as Amea jokingly called it. Plenty of teasing and sassy comebacks were shared between the two as Evelyn made sure the suit still fit. Namely catching Amea a number of times getting distracted from her own preparations.

But by the time of the event was going to happen, they were ready. Evelyn had donned her suit and concealed it between a set of work overalls. Hair tucked up into a ball cap. She wheeled her janitor’s cart up and through the museum’s staff entrance. A few feet in and she was stopped by a guard with a datapad in hand.

You’re part of the cleaning staff tonight I take it?

That’s correct, my name’s Amelia Hargrove.

The guard looked at his datapad, going over the information on display. Although, he did peek back up a couple times, looking at Evelyn.

You seem very...young to be a janitor?”

She just shrugged. “Ehh, you know how it is. Gotta make some credits somehow.

Her words seemed to satisfy the guard somewhat, although he still appeared a bit wary. A few seconds later however, his commlink crackled to life.

Mhm...yes I understand si-no I understand completely I…” Evelyn guessed it was the curator on the other end, the very apparent frustration in his voice made it apparent what kind of mood the man was in. The guard sighed, and mutely signalled for her to head on in.

Evelyn waited until she was further in, out of earshot from the guard before she reached up and activated the earpiece hidden within her left ear.

Alright, we’re in.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

It had been easy to find them a new job, really. The groundwork that Amea had put down since she fell into the broker trade had been built on a solid foundation. Well, a request had gone in and the response had been something they could both enjoy. A return to basics, a smaller heist that wouldn't really pose them any greater challenge as long as they remained clever about it. Rich people doing rich things at everyone else's expense. It was like stealing milk from a baby.

Or so they had thought, as it would seem the recent uptick of known technomantic practitioners across the galaxy had caused these cretins to seek out ways to protect their palaces even from those attacks. It wasn't a luxury they seemed to extend to their external security, though. Now that was most definitely the right thread to pull to expose the emperor for his new clothes.

Although, given the nature of these things and the required overwatch and technical expertise needed to keep those inside the network from finding the intrusion, Amea was forced to take the backseat for this one. Yes, Evelyn had her suit on, and yes she made the remarks, and yes she would have been disappointed if something were to happen to it, but there was certainly no denying that the lack of actual action bothered Amea as she sat with her legs up on her desk, legs crossed with seemingly not a care in the world as she grabbed a small salted nut from a bowl in her lap and threw it up into the air and into her mouth.

"You voo vememver vat I can shee you, vight?" She remarked over the comm back to Evelyn, her voice muffled by the squished content of her mouth. "I know you're in there, Ev."

A camera on the nearby wall began to quickly twist from the left to the right and then back again as if to prove a point to Evelyn. A highly advanced filter had been installed for this one, the silhouette of Evelyn just barely there in the imagery as she made her way around the corridors. Enough to hide their presence, not enough to hide it forever, just enough to buy them the time to get in and out without anyone being any the wiser until it was too late.

"So, wanna take bets on what they will do with the money made at this auction?" Amea asked and flicked another nut into her mouth with an audible crunch over their link. "Im shinkin' they'sh probably—" Swallow. "Just gonna hoard it. Sleep on it like a dragon until someone burns their empires down."

Another nut, another crunch. "Hey, ackshully. I shink I jus' had a goo' ivea for vat we can vo affer viss."

Evelyn’s eyes twitched the moment the telltale sounds of Amea snacking filled her ears. She had often been on the other side of this, watching the brunette as she worked Overwatch for a client. It hadn’t hit her until now just how...audible it was on this side.

I know, I know.” She rolled her eyes, peeking up from the brim of her cap to glance at the twitching camera. “I’m just...living in the moment.” As a kid she always dreamt of doing something like this, sneaking into a location and trying to reach an objective without being detected. Usually with a team or partner guiding her.

Not to mention their little movie nights, whenever they had some downtime between missions. While there were very few genres they wouldn’t watch, the heist/action thriller was a frequent visit. Often just sitting down to critique how the movie depicted the elements of espionage.

Evelyn pressed on, following the path they had taken a few days before. Her first point of interest was only a couple more corners away. “If they get much sleep to begin with, considering the amount of wars that keep springing up around the galaxy.

She turned the last corner and found the door she was after, an unused storage room. A quick and easy pick of the lock, and the Echani disappeared inside. Evelyn didn’t waste time as she discarded her cap and unzipped the overalls. That was when Amea spoke up again, words mingled with the sounds of crunching.

You know ‘mea, if this is how you are with all your clients. No wonder they go nuts

Evelyn had to stifle a chuckle that immediately left her lips. She focused on getting fully kitted out, snapping numerous tools and gadgets to her belt. The last piece was her trusty stun batons, followed by the newly enhanced goggles that Amea had tinkered with. Sliding them over her head, Evelyn activated them giving Amea a much more direct viewpoint.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

Well, the 'living in the moment' remark did get Amea to pause for a moment as guilt sparked through her system. Her jaw slackened for a moment before she continued to slowly eat her nuts again. Silently this time.

"Sorry, sweetheart. Only person I want to drive nuts these days is you." She chuckled and sat up straight for a moment before she realized just how uncomfortable that was in comparison and slowly leaned back again with a groan. "After all, I quite enjoy watching you get all hot and bothered."

Gods, did she really say that? Evelyn would hear Amea laugh at herself for a moment before she let in a long inhale to calm herself down. Yeah, no, even after all this time she was inexperienced with what to say. Action still came easier than words, words that were supposed to be all 'cozy' and 'warm' when both of these things were better told through something so simple as a hug. Maybe one day Amea would be a master at smooth talking too, but today was not that day.

"I'm sorry, that was… terrible." She said and felt her cheeks flush for a moment. "But, I mean… You know what I mean. Got the, uhh… Innuendo and all that."

Petals and silk, as Evelyn had called it. Amea was more akin to spent casings and burlap in comparison.

"Anyway, back to what you were saying." She said and cleared her throat of peanut residue. "It's pretty cute that you still believe these people have trouble sleeping when they are as likely to profit off of the chaos as any other multi-millionaire is."

"Once tonight is over though, sleep will definitely be difficult for them."

"... At least until they move on to a new fancy to launder their money on."

She bit down on her tongue to stop laughing, just barely keeping it from being too audible. Although, she was sure the amount of head bobbing from the goggles’ camera gave it away. Even more so when Amea cracked up, that sent the Echani into another fit of giggles.

No no, it’s quite alright.” Evelyn chuckled, steadily calming herself down. “It’s part of your adorable charm.” She teased her girlfriend, knowing full well more was to come when she got back home.

Hearing Amea clear her throat, Evelyn knew it was back to seriousness now. As the brunette spoke, Evelyn ensured her hair was tied up properly. The Echani shrugged in response to Amea.

I dunno, I can imagine multi-millionaires losing sleep over losing said millions. Especially if the foundations that got them that money were about to crumble.” But Evelyn knew Amea had a point, that those types always had a backup plan should something fail. Most especially the ones that profited off war.

With one last check that she had everything equipped, Evelyn stepped around the janitor cart and headed to the door. She carefully opened the door, peeking her head out and looking left and right before stepping out.

Alright, first stop the Security Room.” Their preliminary scouting had noted a number of physical security checkpoints. Suitable for a little bit of ‘Force’ hacking, but the nullification put a stop to those ideas. Regular ol’ hacking was potentially on the table, but there had been concerns raised about that. If the curator had gone as far as utilizing Ysalamir or Void Stone, then it was likely the security system was rigged to an alarm for any outside intrusions.

So, the next best option was stealing the credentials required.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

"Well, I mean, you say that…" Amea's voice whined for a moment before she shook her head. "First the money, then the contacts. But I get what you mean."

"Sec is to the right, down the corridor from the janitor's room." Amea said and tapped away at her holographic interface to explore the blueprints. "Well, there are two of them, but I know a display room when I see it."

What was it with wealth and compensation? There were two rooms marked as security, one of them clearly practical and the other placed in close proximity to the main hall yet overequipped.

"You should see it up ahead. There are no cameras inside, you will have to be careful."

Evelyn’s steps were quiet as she dashed down the corridor towards her destination. Although, as she drew closer the distinct smell of smoke reached her nose. She immediately shifted into a more cautious pace as she approached the corner. Placing her back against the wall, the Echani peeked around into the next corridor.

Just a ways down was a security guard, leaning against the wall while smoking a cigarette. He was some distance away from where Evelyn was, but wasn’t quite next door to the security room either.

The Echani cursed quietly, debating what she should do. One option was sneaking up on the guy, seeing if he had his credentials on him. But that ran the risk of being caught before she could reach him. Not to mention he was likely to reach the security door before she could get close enough.

I’m going to try and tail him when he goes to return, slip into the security room before it closes.” She whispered quietly, her eyes never leaving the guard.

Another idea might’ve been to just wait for the guard to go back inside, then approach the door. But they had no eyes within the room itself. No way of knowing if anyone within would immediately pick up on the door opening seconds later.

It was a gamble, one Evelyn was hoping wasn’t going to land her straight into a hornet’s nest.

She waited patiently as the guard finished his smoke, flicking the remainder onto the ground and stomping it with his boot. The moment he turned away from her, but towards the security room, Evelyn made her move. Quietly dashing up towards him, just about managing to move out of his peripheral vision as he turned to face the door.

A couple seconds after he walked through, Evelyn slipped in just as the door closed behind her.

There was a small moment right between the fear that Evelyn would get caught in her gambit and the moment when she successfully swept into the security room in which Amea's lips had nearly been pierced by the teeth that sunk into her lower lip. As she observed her girlfriend disappear from view and into the unknowing void, Amea let in a deep breath and switched over to the somewhat more hectic camera embedded in Evelyn's goggles.

"That was amazing." She said and sucked in another deep breath.

Before them was the security hub of the entire facility, but that did not mean that the hub itself was left unguarded. Half a dozen guards sat at different stations and observed screen upon screen. The one that Evelyn snuck past took his seat at the seventh with a heavy groan as he began tapping away at the keyboard.

Occasionally, one of them stood up, walked over to a console to enter some sort of code before they went back to their station again. It was always the same system. One-Four-Six-Three-Two-Five. One-Four-Six-Three-Two-Five. The pattern repeated and so did the buttons that each guard put in.

In the far corner there was a box. Typical alarm panel with an off-site connection. That was Amea's part in all of this. In the opposite corner laid the big red button. What it did? Hard to say, but the black-yellow marking said something about its usage.

And then, finally, there was the one, the only…

The coffee machine. Full of any security henchman's favorite things; burnt coffee and crushed dreams.

"What's the plan here?" Amea whispered over the headset even though she had no real reason to. "Got any plans, hotshot?"

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

The Echani felt her heart beating against her chest, the tension of her gambit steadily setting as she found a small alcove to duck into. She took several deep, but quiet breaths until she felt her heartbeat calm.

Thank you dear, now here’s hoping the rest goes as smoothly.” Evelyn replied quietly, eyes scanning the security hub for potential opportunities. Her attention was quickly grabbed by the guards routinely getting up from their stations, and inputting a code. They didn’t miss a beat, minutes passed; the exact amount each time, as the next guard mimicked the action.

What do you think that’s about ‘mea? Isn’t that one of those…those…” The Echani drifted off as she tried to remember the technical name for that kind of security system. “You know what I mean, either way we can’t afford to knock any of these guys out, else we’ll risk breaking the chain.

Evelyn shifted her focus to across the room, where she noticed the big red button. Now that was just too tempting, who just put something like that without the intent of someone pushing it? But the Echani shook the notion away, instead she tapped the side of her goggles and began to manipulate the camera’s view. Zooming in on the black-yellow marking, before taking a snap of it.

Can you see if you can clean that image up a bit?” Rather than having to unnecessarily sneak over for potentially nothing. “Meanwhile, I’m going to cause a little bit of a distraction.

Her eyes swept over, first noting a door she imagined led to the museum’s server room. But then her gaze settled on the coffee machine. Evelyn began to slowly and carefully sneak towards it.

After all, if there was one thing that was going to cause a stir, it was a faulty coffee machine.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

"That's just cruel." Amea hummed into the headset. "Technically we could probably find a rhythm device to click that button for us. Cut the thumbs off, apply it to a metronome… But, uh, yeah… Leaving those guards unharmed might just be for the better."

Amea looked at the marked yellow-black lines.

"Looks like a remote access port. Plug me into that and I imagine I could disable any failsafes that they've got going." Her eyes squinted. "Would trigger an internal alarm though, if I remember the model correctly."

"Could be a worthwhile exit strategy. Flip all the wrong switches as we leave and create a diversion."

Sometimes necessity requires a little cruelty.

Evelyn replied quietly, making her way closer to the coffee machine. As she did, she reached into one of her pouches and pulled out a customised dart. Typically they were used if she needed a little long ranged stunning, but it would serve the purpose she needed.

The moment she was close enough, Evelyn didn’t miss a beat. She pushed the dart into the neighbouring outlet. The moment the needle made contact, an electrical charge sparked from it and fried the wiring. Fortunately, the Echani’s suit kept her safe from any potential electrocution. Quickly retracting the dart from the outlet, Evelyn slipped back into a nearby hiding spot.

It barely took a couple minutes before someone noticed the distinct smell of fried electronics. But even then, it was only when one of the guards approached to get a fresh cup.

Oh karking chit, the machine broke again!

That simple sentence sent the security hub into minor chaos. Not every guard reacted, but enough was aghast at the apparent terror of no coffee. A number of them were either out of their seats, or had turned to face the commotion.

Evelyn slipped from the shadows, elegantly moving and weaving through blindspots. She passed by one of the now unoccupied stations, of the very same guard that had been taking a smoke break minutes ago. Evelyn grabbed the security badge he had left there, and then made a beeline for the server room. A quick swipe of it against the lock, and the door slid open allowing her to pass.

Well, that wasn’t too difficult-” Evelyn let out a sigh, only to stop mid sentence when she looked down the hallway she was now in.

Where at the other end was an array of lasers zigzagging from one wall to the other.

Evelyn Shaw Evelyn Shaw

"Wasn't that what you said about those pink fuzzy—" Amea cleared her throat and clapped her hands together. "Right," They pointed at the image on her screen. "Work."

Part of this felt wrong, watching all that caf go to waste, but when put in comparison to the way this would rupture and quite possibly deflate this nobleman's entire world and reputation made it all seem so small.

"Jumko poqu, Snowbird." Amea hissed and cursed in Echani. "Ro nuxo leoveu'k e'l ue'l xoqo ti."

"What are the rules?" Amea asked over the headset and let out a deep sigh. "The rules are," She said and waited for Evelyn to begin speaking before she followed along. "Never assume the job is simple."

"Exactly." The brunette said and leaned back to rub at her eyebrows. "Can you find a pattern through the beams or do we need to find a bypass?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom