Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Homecoming | Life Day 2022

Untitled-1.png

HOMECOMING

GAPostBreaker.png

Tags: Valery Noble Valery Noble ; Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania
Soundtrack: X

D381-EDA7-9991-452-F-9476-613421-A2-C693.png

No matter how hard he tried, Cailen couldn't stop his hands from shaking. He found some solace in the distant view over the balcony railing. The familiar silhouette of Anaxes' shipyards stood tall against the setting sun. But even the nostalgia of clambering about the piles of scrap could only keep him so long.

He took in a deep breath, the familiar scents of the spaceport filling his nose. Starship fuel and the sweet scent of droid oil mixed strangely with freshly cooked foods from the carts in the square below. Most would find the combination uninviting, but to him, it meant only one thing. He was home for Life Day.

He timidly raised his hand, holding it there for a long moment as he gathered the nerves to knock on the door. On the other side, his mom and dad waited for him. It had been four long, harrowing years since he said goodbye to them. They'd kept up as best they could amidst ever-turbulent galactic events, exchanging holovids and pictures whenever they can. Sending birthday wishes and small handmade trinkets on special occasions. Anything to stay connected.

A single tear threatened to roll down his cheek as he rapped his knuckles against the durasteel door. Several moments passed, each of them feeling like an eternity, before he heard a muffled voice through the panel; "Is it him?"

"I don't know, Brenna, let me see,"
a second voice responded, growing louder as its owner approached from the other side.

It opened with a hiss, and standing on the other side were Cailen's parents.

A softspoken "Hi" was all he could manage. He couldn't help himself. The boy fell to his knees, the tears welling in his eyes. Jace and Brenna wrapped their arms around him, squeezing him tightly.

"Oh, sweetheart," Brenna said as she stroked the back of his hair.

Jace's large hands gently patted the boy's back.

"I've missed you so much, son..." he said, his voice quivering in a way Cailen had never heard before.

When they separated, the young Jedi smiled and said only two words:

"I'm home."

Last edited:

Untitled-1.png

Anaxes
div-orange.png
Appearance: Link
Tag:
Cailen Corso Cailen Corso Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

"You seem excited," Valery said as she glanced down at Vera, who was holding her mother's hand and bouncing up and down a little while they walked. Ever since they had left the spaceport, she seemed to be getting more energetic — perhaps it was because she didn't get to leave Coruscant very often, but it was more likely that she just loved getting out there with her mom and new friends.

Of course, all of Valery's Padawans had to become friends.

"Mmmm-hm!" Vera exclaimed while she looked around, "Are we almost there?" she then asked with a hint of impatience in her tone. Valery just chuckled and gestured forward with her head, towards the address that Cailen had given her in his invitation. It was very unusual for a Jedi Master to meet the parents of their Padawan. Or, at least, it used to be impossible back in the day. But a lot of things had changed, and this was something she didn't mind at all about the way the Jedi were these days.

"It's right there, and remember, be polite." For the occasion, Valery had tried her best to make sure Vera wasn't going to be... too much to handle, but it was impossible to predict — she was a little Noble after all. "I also like the dress you picked. You didn't even ask for my help with it either," Valery said, who was wearing a red dress for tonight's dinner as well.

"This one is my favorite," Vera said with a nod, and Valery knew why. It wasn't the color or anything special about it — this was a dress she had gotten on a shopping trip with both mom and dad. It wouldn't be long until she was going to be too big for it, but right now, it was important to her.

Eventually, mother and daughter reached the Corso house, and after checking on her little girl one last time, Valery knocked on the door three times and waited with a warm smile for it to open.

Plodding alongside Valery and Vera, Cora was uncharacteristically quiet. She had mixed feelings about Life Day. To her it meant a day of adhering to austere tradition, a celebration trimmed with courtly rigidity. Her responsibilities had only grown with age, as she'd been expected to maintain the appearance of a noble Lady while reining in her younger siblings at the same time.

The veritable junk yard sprawling out in all directions before her stood in stark contrast to the orderly estate where she'd been raised. Cora marveled to herself, and she nearly asked Valery if people really lived like this?

She'd known that Cailen had come from a family of scrappers, but she hadn't been able to envision something like this. Clad in her cleanest pair of formal Padawan robes, Cora clutched the bag at her side as they meandered towards the Corso home.

"It is a very pretty dress." She smiled down at Vera, who was buzzing with energy as per usual. Watching her was enough to break Cora away from bleaker thoughts. "You both look lovely. I…didn't think to wear something more appropriate for the occasion." Her smiled turned a little awkward and apologetic, recalling the numerous, intricately crafted gowns that were left behind on Ukatis. Hopefully, their hosts would not mind.

With no idea what to expect of the modest home or its occupants, Cora simply stood beside Valery and her daughter as they waited for the door to open.

Cailen Corso Cailen Corso Valery Noble Valery Noble

GAPostBreaker.png

"What do you think?" Brenna asked her boys as she pulled a steaming roast from the oven.

Both Cailen and his dad nodded, their eyes wide with excitement. Life Day was technically a few weeks out, but Jace had managed to talk his supervisor into cashing the Corso's holiday ration cards early. With it, plus a little extra the family pulled together, Brenna was able to make the single largest meal they'd eaten in one sitting all year.

She placed the golden roast on the dining table, amidst a variety of other homemade dishes; Stuffed koba, baked bread, and a variety of braised vegetables. She huffed a victorious sigh, pleased to see the final piece of the Life Day feast was ready to be served. All that remained was to pour them and their guests each a bowl of spiced eggmilk.

Three knocks on the door signaled they had arrived. Cailen nearly broke into a sprint to reach it, casting his parents a glowing smile as he raised his finger to the maglock. Jace wrapped his arm around Brenna, giving his son a gentle nod.

"Well go ahead," he encouraged. "We're ready."

Cailen pressed the button, opening the door for his friends. They would be met first by his beaming face, followed by a delicious medley of scents. Jace pulled his wife close as they laid eyes on Cailen's second family for the first time.

"Master Noble!" the boy exclaimed, offering Valery a warm hug. He turned his eyes to her daughter, greeting her with the same vigor.

"Hey, Vera! How are you?"

He'd smile as she spoke, then turn to his fellow Padawan, impressed by her fancy attire.

"Hi Cora! I like your robes," he said, a faint red tint spreading across his cheeks.

For a moment, Cailen stood in the doorway, so excited by their presence that he forgot to invite them inside. Jace spoke up from the dining room, chuckling warmly.

"Don't just stand there, son, invite them in!"

Untitled-1.png

Anaxes
div-orange.png
Tag:

"It is a very pretty dress."

"You look pretty, too!" Vera called out without any doubt in her voice, causing Valery to chuckle in response before placing a hand on the Padawan's shoulder to hopefully reassure her a little. "You look fine, Cora, and this is not a time to be worried about appearances. Just relax and enjoy yourself this evening." She gently squeezed the young woman's shoulder and glanced down at Vera, who wasn't really bouncing around anymore now that they were waiting for the doors to be opened.

She was sometimes just a little nervous about meeting new people.

Soon enough, the doors opened, revealing Cailen who immediately moved closer to hug his Master. Valery wrapped her arms around him to return the warm embrace and held him for a moment while she glanced inside to see his parents standing there already. "It's good to see you, Cailen," Valery said, and Vera was quick to chime in.

"Hello Cailen!" she exclaimed happily, "I'm doing okay!"

Valery's fiery eyes then shifted between Cora and Cailen for a moment as they greeted each other, but finally, she did reach for her daughter's hand again and stepped inside once Cailen's father had called over. "It's a pleasure to finally meet you both," Valery began as she approached his parents, dipped her head, and offered her free hand, knowing that's how most people greeted each other.

"I'm Valery, and this is my daughter Vera, and..." she trailed off, and looked at Cora so she could introduce herself.

"Hello! Nice to meet you!" Vera did call out, not wanting to just be quietly introduced.

Cora inhaled slowly as Valery squeezed her shoulder, kind words reassuring her worried mind. "You're right, Master." It would be difficult to stay anxious for long with Vera's infectious cheer dancing all around them, too.

The door to the Corso home opened, ushering the inviting scents of a well prepared holiday meal into the night air.

"Thank you, Cailen." Cora responded quietly, her awkward smile smoothing into something a little more natural.

As they stepped into the home, she was not surprised to find that it was small—nearly any abode would be compared to the Ascania estate—but she was surprised to discover how hospitable it felt. Instead of cold marble floors and opulent but sterile decorations, the Corso home looked…warm and friendly.

What struck the wide-eyed blonde the most was how Cailen's parents were behaving. They were smiling, an open display of happiness—what was more, they seemed to regard each other with affection.

She'd never see her father wrap a tender arm around her mother's dainty shoulders. The only contact between them she'd seen had been—

Vera's energetic introduction pulled her focus back to the present, and Cora found herself giggling softly. The Little Star could defuse a Dearh Star's worth of tension.

Encouraged by Valery's introduction, Cora stepped forward to offer her own greeting to Cailen's parents.

"I'm Cora. Thank you for inviting us to your home." She still bowed with a straight back, but at least she hadn't used her full title this time.

As she rose, Cora began fumbling through her bag. "Oh- I, ah. I've brought you something. A small gift, for hosting us.

Both hands wrapped around a tin, which she thrust forward with a bowed head. "It's loose leaf tea that's grown on my homeworld of Ukatis. It's not much, but it's a token of my gratitude."

Even a quick glance at the elegant script of the label would indicate the premium quality of the tea. For Cora, such a luxury product was standard.

GAPostBreaker.png

Jace’s eyes widened at the sight of Cora’s offering, a reaction Brenna must’ve anticipated judging by the firm elbow she poked into his side. She spoke for the both of them when she said, “Oh my stars, what a lovely gift!”

Her cheeks reddened in much the same way as Cailen’s when she added, “You didn’t have to bring anything, dear. You’re always welcome here.”

Jace nodded his agreement, flashing apologetic eyes at his wife and to Cora. Cailen had only briefly mentioned the girl’s background, but Jace was pretty quick to realize she came from richer blood than the Corso’s. Not that he held anything against her; Who wouldn’t choose to be born into something grander than an Alliance shipyard? The fact that Cora had joined a group as selfless and just as the New Jedi was testament enough to her virtue, and to Jace, those actions scream volumes louder than words.

“Please, sit,” he said as he slipped from Brenna’s embrace and made to pull out the dining chairs.

Cailen gave his dad a hand, pulling three chairs for his friends before finally taking a seat himself.

“Would you like to say a few words, dear?” Brenna asked as she sat.

“I would,” Jace said, reaching for a glass.

He raised it out, calling for a toast, and with a voice that seemed to waiver a bit as he spoke, he delivered.

“To family,” he said proudly, “be they blood or bond!”

His grateful eyes met Valery’s at the last bit, an infinite wealth of appreciation behind them. After a series of clinks, Jace began to slice the roast while Brenna served the side dishes. Cailen came eagerly behind them, offering refills.

Once plates were loaded and cups were filled, the humble feast would begin.

Untitled-1.png

Anaxes
div-orange.png
Tag:

Valery watched Cora offer her gift with a bright smile, and it was obviously very appreciated by Cailen's parents. It also sparked her to gently nudge Vera, who had a little something as well, but either the young Noble was too shy to offer it already, or she was just distracted by the food she smelled. Knowing there would be a Life Day feast, she had intentionally not eaten any snacks during the day, so she was hungry, and that only got her to bounce up and down a little more.

"Easy, sweetie," Valery told her after noticing Vera's energy.

"Hmm..." she whined, softly enough so that it didn't interrupt anything, but she was visibly excited when everybody sat down. But where she had hoped to already start digging in, they just had to say a few words first. Valery listened with a smile, but Vera was kicking her little legs back and forth in anticipation.

"Thank you for the kind words, and for having us here tonight," Valery said as she raised her glass as well. "It has been my pleasure to guide your son, and I'm thankful for the trust you put in me." She lowered the glass and turned her eyes to Vera, who was glaring at her mother for talking, rather than getting to noms.

But with glasses filled up and food on the table, it was time to eat, and Vera dug in like she had been starved by her mother for days. Valery smiled a little awkwardly after seeing it and nudged her daughter again, but there was no stopping the little Noble. "Vera..." Valery said softly, and only that got her to perk up, but not because she realized what she was doing.

"Hm! I got a gift too, and I made it myself." Vera hopped off her chair and walked around to offer Cailen's mother a sheet of paper. It had a drawing on it of her mother and Cailen with lightsabers and lots of slain enemies around them. The work of a child with a wild imagination, or perhaps it had been a vision that sparked it?

Cora didn't realize that she'd been holding her breath as she extended the gift forwards. Suddenly, she worried that such a small token—in her eyes—would have been insulting. Of course it would be, when the Corsos had gone through the trouble of hosting them, who would want a simple tin of tea in return? That was just poor guest behavior on Cora's part. If father were here, he'd-

"You’re always welcome here.”

Stiffening, Cora blinked. Then, the tension eased from her shoulders and she regarded Brenna and Jace with an anxious, but ultimately grateful smile. There was no hidden undertone of malice from Cailen's mother—the kind she'd been used to sensing from the women at court as they backstabbed one another through whispers.

A glance at Valery, and her heart steadied. Not only was she Cora's teacher in the way of the Jedi, but she'd become something of an anchor for the young Padawan. A source of parental guidance and affection, the sort she'd never received from the Viscount and Viscountess Ascania.

With surprise and a hint of sadness, she realized that this home was very much unlike her own.

That thought didn't linger for long as they settled around the table and Cailen's father raised a glass to toast family, both biological and found. Cora happened to be seated next to Vera, and couldn't help but grin at the girl's impatient energy. When she rose to deliver her gift to Brenna, Cora's head tilted to the side. Then her eyes widened, remembering the...vivid contents of the drawing Vera had proudly shown her earlier.

She leaned a little closer to Valery and whispered; "Is that the same drawing that she...the one with all of the…"

GAPostBreaker.png

"Oh! Oh." Brenna said as she looked over the unabashed drawing, but before she could offer a cordial 'thank you,' Jace took the paper from her hands.

"This is awesome!" he said with a huge grin, running his fingers over the depiction of his son. The glimmer of pride in his eyes was unmistakable.

"Yes, it is. Thank you very much, Vera. Maybe you and Cailen can pin it up in the workshop after dinner?"

Cailen nodded, smiling through the sigh of relief that escaped his lips. He half expected his mom to fire up on a tirade about staying safe and keeping to his studies at the Temple, but she seemed to reflect the same sense of fulfillment as his dad. They knew that the life of a Jedi was much more eventful than meditating and studying, but they trusted their son and Valery to be mindful of danger when it was unavoidable.

"That reminds me," Jace said, gesturing with Vera's drawing to the hall behind him. "We have a few gifts of our own. Would you mind grabbing them, son?"

Cailen went into the back and returned a few moments later with three small parcels, each of them wrapped in simple brown paper. He passed one each to Cora, Valery, and Vera, then took his seat as he waited eagerly for them to open their gifts.

His Master would find inside a handheld projector that depicted a hologram of she and Cailen together after their first training lesson, a memory he thought she'd enjoy fondly; Vera would receive a handmade action figure, one that Cailen had put together himself with various bits of repurposed materials - it even moved on its own, thanks to Brenna's skillful wiring; And for Cora, a handcrafted necklace that featured a breathtaking tasar crystal that Cailen acquired on Coruscant.

After they opened their gifts, Cailen looked to them with beaming eyes.

"Happy Life Day, you guys," he said softly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom