Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech HL-7 Xaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
In Umbris Potestas Est
Subach.gif

OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION

PRODUCTION INFORMATION
  • Manufacturer: Defiance Consolidated Multipurpose Manufacturing
  • Model: HL-7 Xaser
  • Affiliation: Open-Market
  • Modularity: Yes(Can be fitted on starships, starfighters, and vehicles)
  • Production:
    Mass-Produced
  • Material: X-Ray tubes, diatium, duranium, agrinium
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Xaser
  • Size: Very Large
  • Weight:
    Very Heavy​
  • Ammunition Type: Starship/Vehicle Reactor
  • Ammunition Capacity: Unlimited
  • Reload Speed: Very Low
  • Effective Range:
    Average​
  • Rate of Fire:
    High​
  • Stopping Power:
    High​
  • Recoil:
    None
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Weapon can damage enemy ship subsystems
Strengths:​
  • Higher rate of fire than a standard laser cannon
  • More damage done to shields than a standard laser cannon
  • Can damage ship subsystems, though nowhere as effectively as an ion cannon
Weaknesses:​
  • Decreased range compared to a standard laser cannon
  • Less effective against enemy ship hulls than a comparable laser cannon
  • Decreased visibility of the bolts makes it more difficult to gauge shots
DESCRIPTION
The HL-7 Xaser is the result of DCMM experimentation with the concept of x-ray-based weaponry. It utilizes tubes to generate the necessary x-rays necessary to coalesce with plasma and form a wispy purple bolt of energy. These bolts are slung from the weapon at a higher rate of fire than a standard laser cannon, but dissipate their energy significantly faster, leading to decreased range when compared to standard laser cannons - though well within normal combat range. Upon impact with an enemy starfighter, the plasma bolt loses cohesion, releasing the intensity of the x-rays stored within as they assault the shields of the target, whittling them down at a rate almost comparable to that of an ion cannon. Once the shields are down, the Xaser can penetrate the target's hull, though it does so with more difficulty due to an increased speed of plasma disintegration in each bolt. One minor boon of the use of x-ray technology is that the radiation emitted upon the bolt's contact with the enemy ship can penetrate beneath the surface layer of the target, damaging ship subsystems, though not with the efficacy or reliability of an ion cannon - and this of course requires penetration of the hull first.​

Vanessa Vantai said:
One minor boon of the use of x-ray technology is that the radiation emitted upon the bolt's contact with the enemy ship can penetrate beneath the surface layer of the target, damaging ship subsystems, though not with the efficacy or reliability of an ion cannon - and this of course requires penetration of the hull first.
Can you provide me with a source for this?

In Umbris Potestas Est
Per the wiki page on ionizing radiation, the conductivity of the materials in electronics causes potentially lethal levels of current to run through them, resulting in them destroying themselves. Given that the radiation generated as x-rays is roughly analogous to long wavelength gamma rays, and given that most if not all fighters and warships lack some sort of lead or other shielding designed to protect against gamma radiation, it would penetrate through their hull to the subsystems. That said, given that x-rays are a form of energy being released, they would not be able to penetrate into ship subsystems for as long as the target's shields were up.

Vanessa Vantai said:
Given that the radiation generated as x-rays is roughly analogous to long wavelength gamma rays, and given that most if not all fighters and warships lack some sort of lead or other shielding designed to protect against gamma radiation
I don't believe I've ever seen anything, either in canon or otherwise, to indicate this is the case, which was more of what I meant by a source regarding the ability for an X-ray weapon to cause ion cannon-like effects on starships.

In Umbris Potestas Est
That's likely because there are no fighter-mounted weapons in canon that I know of that utilize any sort of radiation. Intense radiation in the X- and gamma spectrum has proven capable of harming electronics in real life - the dead cleaning robots of Chernobyl and Fukushima are a testament to that. I can gladly provide real life sources for this if such is required.

Vanessa Vantai said:
That's likely because there are no fighter-mounted weapons in canon that I know of that utilize any sort of radiation. Intense radiation in the X- and gamma spectrum has proven capable of harming electronics in real life - the dead cleaning robots of Chernobyl and Fukushima are a testament to that. I can gladly provide real life sources for this if such is required.
Would you say that its effects are similar to the Booma and/or the Electromagnetic plasma cannon?

In Umbris Potestas Est
Its effects are nowhere near as pronounced as the booma, and the Wookiee page doesn't really say much about the electromagnetic plasma cannon's effects, so can't say on that one. Its subsystem-damaging capabilities were intended to be much weaker than that of an ion cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom