Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hekler'Kok Caseless Ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
Intent: To create a new type of bullet to make more effective slugthrowers
Development Thread: N/A
Manufacturer: Hekler'Kok Defense Industries
Model: HeklerKok Caselesss Ammunition
Affiliation: Independent
Modularity: Pistol: 9mm, 10mm and 12.7mm Rifle: 5.56mm, 7.62mm, 12.7mm, 15mm, 20mm and 25mm Heavy: 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 76mm, 88m, 100mm, 105mm, 120mm and 150mm
Production: Mass-Produced
Material: Metal (Common medals include Tungsten, Depleted Uranium and even Lead) and RDX (amounts depends on type of bullet)
Description: When it was found that sales had been down in the quarter due to the fact that Cade Lee was now making cartridges at half the price, Hekler'Kok needed a new flagship product that could be produced at the same price of normal shell-based bullets but somehow better. It was a lowly techie that came up with a idea, of course instead of being a lowly techie now, she is now Noah's right hand when it comes to new products. Her idea was to use a explosive compound called RDX in small amounts, enough to propel it at the same velocity and speed as normal cordite based bullets but it also allows to be more cheaply produced. The idea of caseless ammo poses a lot of benefits, one being the fact that more ammo can be carried and put into magazines and carried by soldiers. A downfall though is the fact that RDX leaves more residue in the barrel and action, which means that users have to be more maintenance conscious compared to other weapons. The way the bullet works is that a electric spark ignites the RDX, sending the bullet out of the barrel, after that everything else is nature. To keep the RDX from exploding on contact, the bullet is put in a special coating, the coating allows the bullet to accelerate without exploding but the coating also evaporates or disentegrates from the heat as the bullet is propelled through the barrel. To keep the powder in place, a plastic cap is put on the end of the bullet, this keeps the powder in place and is disentegrated along with the coating. Though it was found that the coating would evaporate and some of the plastic would melt into the barrel and in time this would cause a explosion in the barrel. After consulting with a few engineers, Noah came up with the idea of adding a extra layer of heat-resistant polymer, this polymer would keep the original coating and plastic cap from gumming up the barrel and action. The polymer would keep the powder, original coating and plastic cap intact until it left the barrel, at which point evaporate on its way to the target.

[member="Noah Corek"],

Can you tell me more about RDX? Any real world similarities? Are you saying this is a degradable cartridge of sorts?

Noah Corek

Cocked, Locked and a Smoking Barrel
Factory Judge
[member="Aaralyn Rekali"]
RDX is a real world explosive. Search it on wikipedia. Added a sentence at the end of the description that should clear the cartridge thing up.

[member="Noah Corek"].

I have a major issue with this design and unless you can make some edits to which counter this, I cannot approve it.

You realize upon firing this projectile that it will actually explode within the chamber? The firing pin makes contact and the whole combustion process occurs, the RDX will ignite within the chamber?

The result will be less than desirable.

If you can manage to make some changes, then we can discuss it. Please @me and we'll proceed.

[member="Noah Corek"]
I'd like to clarify one more item, when you're saying caseless, you're meaning no cartridge to put powder in? These are RDX powered bullets?

[member="Jacen Cavill"]

Thanks.

[member="Noah Corek"],

Alright, I unfortunately cannot approve this.

After much discussion, thought and review...the concept just doesn't equate to what it needs to be.

The plastic cap system would melt in the gun chamber or barrel after a short time, resulting in a jammed up system. The RDX power/explosive itself could be exposed after the coating wore off each bullet systematically. The extensive need for cleaning from residue and such, again, more jams. There is just alot of stuff working against this concept. If you could work it where these were RDX coated bullets or perhaps RDX coated slugs or like the VENOM slugs with RDX, I could see something like that. No different than an HEIAP round.

I'm sorry. Please take it to the 2nd Chance Thread if you'd like to dispute.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Noah Corek"]
How can the polymer be heat-resistant one moment and then evaporate the next? What triggers this transformation, and how does it work?

[member="Ashin Varanin"] invokes me.

[member="Noah Corek"] I implore you to go back to the drawing board and research Wookie and experimental weapons. As it is this concept won't work and it contradicts itself a little. This will have to stay denied due to a lack of dev threads and the concept not fully being plausible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom