Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heart to Heart Conversations

A day after Awkward Meetings
Geonosis​

Red.png

Gerwald’s ship had become their new home. While it was certainly not bigger than the cottage they had lived on when they were on Stewjon, Alwine would not have changed it for anything else that she knew of. It was one thing to have a house, it was another when the house could fly through space and take you to places without you needing to pack or wonder where you’d be staying. And even if technical comforts were placed aside, this ship was their home. It felt more like a home than the house she’d been born in. Certainly, there was still work to do here, time that needed to pass, problems and conflicts that had to be resolved.

But here, unlike on Stewjon, they actually had the opportunity to do all of that and more. Of course, matters between the siblings were not entirely right. There was still anger, there was still the refusal to accept certain things. But they were the Lechner siblings, and they were united. Alwine could wish to claw either of her brother’s faces out for eternity and she would still love them, would still do what she could to remain close to both of them. Her brothers could do all the wrongs in the galaxy, and they would still be her pack. She had not endured months of torture that followed years of hiding and shame to let them go, even if they sometimes more than deserved to be beaten with a spatula.

It was her first day off in weeks. Ever since she had taken up training with Caid Centurion, had arranged with him for her brothers to be trained as well, and had taken some minor mission with the Knights Obsidian, Alwine was left with very little time for herself. She had enjoyed it in the morning, stretching her paws lazily as she enjoyed the sunlight that dawn had to offer, but had then run back inside to the cool temperatures as the arid air of Geonosis threatened to make her unhappy again. She longed for cool breezes and cold lakes, but she was also learning how to be patient when not immediately threatened if she was not so. It was… An interesting lesson.

Eventually though, idleness had begun to bore her. By midday, she had shifted back into the woman, and had chosen clothes. What a strange new life this was, where she could freely wear pants! Long dark pants, a soft brown tunic with a belt at the waist, and… Well, she didn’t want the boots. The metallic floor of the ship was a comfort to her bare feet. Once dressed, she headed for the main area of the ship, bringing a bunch of papers and pens with her.

Alwine had always known she was under-educated. On Stewjon though, that had been all right, since the other girls and women around her were equally so. With the Confederacy, however, her inability to read and write without trouble was a hindrance, and she intended to solve this as quickly as she could. It was taking hours of gruel work out of her time, hours in which she should probably have been resting. Instead though, she worked with no end, trying to teach her fingers to handle the gentle mechanics of creating a readable hand script, worked with a droid that pushed words out and had her read them in a timely manner. Next to her lay a pile of children’s books, and next to them, a list of words she intended to look up so she could expand her vocabulary.

None of this was fun work. Alwine’s arm cramped more often than it did not, and a single page of a children’s book was enough to solicit a violent reaction from her. And still, she trudged on. It wasn’t as fun as learning how to fight and use the Force. But it was a basic requirement, and she would plow through, until it was perfectly done.

Alwine expected no less of herself.

[member="Gerwald Lechner"]

Relationship Status: It's Complicated
Gerwalds mood was not pleasant. The encounter with Scherezade had left him emotionally drained, and to be honest, he was pretty certain he did not want to see her again. He understood her logic, even why she was so upset, but what she didn't see was that she was unwilling to meet in the middle. There was going to be no hope of ever healing and mending things if that couldn't happen. Gerwald had chosen Katrine, and he wasn't about to break her to fix Scherezade. Gerwald was beginning to think the only way she would ever listen to him was if he returned to her as her love, loved her in a way that would almost certainly destroy Katrine. Gerwald was done destroying people. He didn't have it in him to break anyone else.

He could sense Alwine in the main gathering area of the ship. She was sitting, trying to catch up on the lack of education she had compared to the men on Stewjon, and those around the galaxy. Gerwald was not as literate as others he met either, and as the look of frustration took over, he simple placed a hand on her shoulder.

"It takes time to get better. I'm still not at the same level as my peers, and I have been at this for months. You're determined enough, you will learn, dear one."

Despite the heaviness around his heart and mind, Gerwald could never take it out on his sister. She was precious to him, and his biggest regret in life to date was leaving her behind. Varick could have managed, but Alwine... he should have never even allowed her to be in that position. Even the pain he had cause Scherezade, to him, paled in comparison to what he had done to his sister. Although she had forgiven him, Gerwald still felt the need to pay penance.

"Galactic Basic is confusing... so don't get frustrated with yourself. It doesn't make sense."

[member="Alwine Lechner"]

So focused had she been on spelling out a word that she could not even pronounce. Convalescence. What did that even mean? There was a sentence attached to it that explained it, but she was too tired by now to read it and try to understand. Besides, she already knew how stupid she would come off, trying to say a word but pronouncing it wrong around other people, even if she used it correctly.

C-O-N-V... Her hand throbbed, already tired after having sat there for over an hour. A-L-E... So far, simple. Slow, but simple. And then came all the S's and C's and they began to mix together, and why did that word need to have three different E's anyway?

Alwine was focusing so hard that she didn't even pick up on Gerwald's scent when he entered the ship. When his hand was suddenly on his shoulder, she jumped in surprised, looking back. Though her vision was slightly blurred after so long of just staring at her pages, her mouth stretched into a smile almost immediately. She let the pen roll out of her hand, the papers drop, and rose to hug him.

Hugging any of her brothers was like trying to hug a stone pillar. They both were giant men, not only tall but wide too, with muscles that rippled beneath their skin when they were in their human shape. Alwine herself was a half-person by comparison, needing to stand straight to reach her full five feet in height. And still she would hug them as though they were of the same size, never shrinking away. She was small in size, yes, but she was a giant when she raged, and they had all seen it on more than one occasion.

When Gerwald finished speaking, Alwine looked up into her brother's face, her smile slowly disappearing. There were things she could see, things she could feel now. Her training had ensured she would be more attuned with the Force, but the expression on his face was one she did not need the Force to know to understand.

"Your heart is heavy, ussta dalninuk," she said carefully, taking a step away to take him in with her gaze. They had not had sufficient chance to speak properly since he had come to Stewjon. He had his own life, one that he was giving away all too easily to the auflaque, but even when not with her, he still had more than enough responsibilities elsewhere. But that pain... She had noticed glimpses of it. She had probably caused some of it herself, with her own words that she would never apologize for. But the depth of it now, the way it reflected from his eyes... Her hand reached to him, taking his own. "What ails you?"

Heavy... of course she picked up on his emotional state. As his sister and another Lupine, she could sniff it out of him, no matter if was trying to hide it or not. There was no reason to hide it. Whatever anyone saw they would know why or they wouldn't. Katrine would, considering that he didn't keep anything a secret from her anymore. Despite how much it might have hurt to hear about the encounter, he knew that he couldn't keep it hidden away.

She wanted to know what caused his pain. A soft sigh left his lips. She was going to find out one way or another, and it needed to come from him.

"I have caused more than my fair share of messes since leaving Stewjon. One of them I do not think I am ever going to be able to clear up, not without causing more pain than what I already have. Katrine is not the only one I have been with since leaving you. I was also with her sister..."

Gerwald purposefully left the feelings out of it, because they were written on his face and in his eyes. It was a mix of pain, anger, and loss. He still did not know what to make of it, but Gerwald did not want to visit the subject for long. He knew Alwine would have plenty to say on the matter, and he did not want this to be just another thing they had to deal with in order to be close again. They had other things they needed to discuss, and Gerwald's love life was not among them... yet.

Chocolate brown eyes narrowed as her brother made mention of another mess he had created. Alwine had figured he had made a bunch of them, and also knew who to blame, but for now, she said nothing, keeping her mouth shut and her opinion on the matter close to herself. It took her a moment though, to understand what her brother meant by not the only one he had been with. Both he and Alwine had been untouched on Stewjon, each for their own reason. She knew Gerwald was made afraid of any liaisons by their mother, whereas she… Well, for her, their mother had the Stewjoni culture to support her cause.

But something inside of her was not all too surprised. Oh, she wanted to claw his face out for a multitude of reasons, one of them being that he had just now confirmed that he had not told her and Varick everting. Another reason was for doing anything of the sort with sisters. Were they still on Stewjon, she probably would have. She’d been much more prone to giving into her rage back at home, which was where her share of the blame was in matters that had happened.

And yet, she had not asked him what lay on his heart merely so she could punish him. She could see the pain on her brother’s face, hear it in his voice. The anger was there too, though that one she ignored for now. And… What was that other emotion? Longing? Loss? She wasn’t certain.

With a sigh, Alwine pulled on her brother’s hand and she guided him to the couch before going off to the kitchen. She came back almost immediately later, carrying a mug of her brother’ favorite tea for him, and coffee for herself.

Momentarily, she just looked at her brother. Her anger had dissolved, making way for care and concern, and he let him see it all. At worst, she could always demand to shave his fur later. But there were more pressing things to discuss now, and one of them was not only what had happened, but also why he had kept it a secret until now. They should have been done with secrets, done with them since they were united.

“A simple fornication with anyone would not leave you this distressed,” she said softly, still holding her hand out for him to take again if he so wished, “Tell me everything, dalninuk.”

"I do not want to," Gerwald stated simply.

It wasn't that he did not want to tell his sister the truth of the matter, but he did not want to give her any cause to find one more reason that things with Katrine should not be as they were. Gerwald had made a decision, and he refused to hurt one in favor for the other ever again. In truth, Gerwald would rather lose them both then ever be in that position ever again. He had learned his lesson the hard way, and now the man was paying for it emotionally. It seemed the only that supported his decision was the woman who benefited from it, but that was because his world was so small.

"Fornication you make it sound so dirty. It was anything but. The only thing I did wrong was fall in love with them both and then keep it a secret from the other. This was not just some affair Alwine, but it was something much deeper. While I do not ever expect her to forgive me, I do not see why she must insist on making her sister pay for what I did. It seems wrong. It feels wrong. It is wrong."

That was all Gerwald managed to say. It was enough for Alwine to know that what he was referring to was one hot and complicated mess, that at the core, was typical Gerwald it seemed.

"You tell me why I am not myself, dear sister? How can I make her see that the one who should be paying for this... the only one that should be, is me."

Alwine raised a brow as Gerwald responded with his childish I do not want to. He was being overly silly, of course. Even if he thought he did not wish to tell her everything, for whatever the reason may be, she could feel the need of it coming out in one form of another within him. Keeping things bottled up, keeping the secrets, that was what they had been taught on Stewjon. That was something they would all have to unlearn, at least with each other. Secrets between the siblings could devastate their relationship, regardless of how much each of them wanted to be a united pack.

And then there was that mention of love. Now Alwine was silent not merely to give Gerwald the space to speak, but because she truly was stunned. The idea of him loving the auflaque always made her want to vomit, but the idea of there being someone else… She would have been glad for him, had his kernel of a tail not been accompanied by his grief and pain. But then her mind snapped back to attention. Sisters.

“Have you fornicated with every female Lupine that came across your way?” she asked, looking directly at Gerwald’s face. He had told her and Varick that there were others, but a moment ago was the first time of a sister to the auflaque that he was involved with in any way. And yes, she was using that word on purpose; fornicated.

“Well then, brother. If you tell me that you do not wish to tell me, but then give me tiny kernels, I can do little but jump to conclusions. How is this other Lupine making the auflaque pay, and for what?” she asked then, “and if you are the one who should be paying for anything, why are you not?”

Straight. Direct. To the point. She took a sip from her coffee, letting its bitter warmth caress her insides. This really would be much simpler if he’d just tell her everything. But if Gerwald wasn’t going to, she was going to collect all the possible kernels to put the quilt together.

And she was definitely going to have to do something about an inner metaphor world that relied so heavily on what she had been taught on Stewjon. Quilt… Ugh.

Besides, there was little to nothing Gerwald could say that would make her think worse of the auflaque. She hated her for reasons that Gerwald was blind to see had nothing to do with him. She was a Breaker of Packs, and that alone was reason enough for her to want to see her head on a spike. There were other things, of course, but… that was not for now. For now, she wanted the whole story.

"This was not another Lupine," Gerwald said bluntly still hating the use of the word that Alwine was using to describe Katrine. "And you should stop talking about Katrine in that tone. I know you do not like her, hate her even, but I have made my choice, and you can at least respect it, even if you do not agree."

Gerwald snapped at her with a bit more bite to his voice than he intended, however it should have gone without saying. Alwine didn't have to like her, she didn't have to like the fact Gerwald was with her. Alwine did have to respect it though.

"I cannot tell you why I am not paying as I should. Neither of them should have forgiven me for what I did. And yes, if you must know I have slept with them both, and I have loved them both. I just didn't tell either of them what was going on, partly because I was foolish enough to think that they were close enough to share with each other about who was in their lives. The other though. She had gotten lost and put in observation because of a virus and I did not visit her. Instead I was having sex with Katrine. She ran off and got hurt, badly, and that was when everything came out. I told the truth, and I think she was more angry with Katrine than me. She didn't know anymore than Katrine had, and I have tried to get them to forgive each other for things that were said, and in all of it... it seems as though I am the least burned in all of this."

He sighed, and before Alwine could say anything.

"I do not need a lecture or judgement. I need my sister right now. So before you start by telling me what I did wrong, I already know."

“No,” came the swift response to her brother’s first demand. She would not change her tone about the auflaque, she would not cease to call her the auflaque, and she would never respect her brother’s choice regarding the matter, just as she did not respect a bunch of other choices her brother had made. She loved him dearly and she usually respected him as a person, but there were things that he could ask of her that she would never be willing or able to provide, even if he snapped at her.

As the conversation returned to normal, Alwine put her coffee down, staring intently at her brother. Too much did not make sense. “If the other one was not a Lupine, how were they sisters?” she asked. A half-sister who shared a parent that did not carry the gene? Was what her mother had told them about the Lupine gene wrong and it was possible to mate with a Lupine without producing other Lupines?

But… But Gerwald had claimed that when he saw the auflaque, he saw his future (the mere thought of it made her want to spit and hiss). So why had he done anything at all with her sister? Were both sisters sluts? The more she thought about it, the more questions she had. Such as, if one was a Lupine and the other was not, how did the Lupine sister never smell the other on him, since he claimed they did not know? And how could he dare be wetting his prick in anyone, if someone that he cared for was in danger? Why had the non-Lupine gotten angry with the Lupine? Too many questions, there were too many questions in Alwine’s mind. And where was this other one now? She had a very hard time imagining her brother demanding anything from the auflaque.

But while Alwine knew that she was not adept in any way in fighting or technology, there were things she knew very well. She knew people. While in servitude, she had not been idle. She had watched keenly, from beneath the mask of a meek servant girl, had watched and had learned. She understood behavior patterns, she understood what caused people to be more likely to do things. And what she knew for certainty now, was that her brother was keeping large chunks of the story untold for the moment.

“You probably have no clue what you did wrong,” she pointed out, her gaze focused on him. But there was nothing mean or angry about her expression. “I will always judge you, Gerwald Lechner. Fear the day that I do not, as that will be the day that we are no longer the Lechner siblings, or at least one of us is dead.”

Still, her tone was pleasant, light. She was not going to fight with him now. She was not going to lecture him… Just yet.

Alwine moved on the couch, closing the distance between her and Gerwald, and leaned against him. “I am here to help and support you through your woes, dalninuk. Now let’s start at the beginning. How is that other one her sister, and how did you end up doing things with her that no one should ever do with their paramour’s sibling?”

Her how was emphasized. Alwine wanted the story told as it ought to be, from the beginning, and chronologically. She had no interest in the explanations as of yet.

"That's a longer story that I want to tell, but think of it like adopted sisters. They were not sisters by blood, but they adopted each other," Gerwald replied trying to stay as far away from explaining how Scherezade had been trapped in a pebble.

Ger simply shook his head when she mentioned that he likely did not know what he did wrong. If only that were the truth. The long and short of it was that Gerwald behaved like other Lupine men before him. He could not keep his pants zipped. His other mistake had been refusing to guard the future he had seen when he met Katrine. There had never been a vision, but rather a knowing. While he had made a complicated mess, the truth was actually rather simple.

"Fine... but then you must also fear the day that I do not overcompensate for abandoning you. I was not there to protect you, and while you clearly have shown you do not need, I am going to be here for you all the same."

At the next question Gerwald sighed. It was a story he did not want to tell, and even with that, Alwine was only going to get the male version of it. That meant it would be void of details and feelings.

"We met when I was chasing Katrine in the woods. Scherezade followed, and when we shifted back, Katrine had taken my clothes. I had to walk back to the ship naked, and considering what the woman told us, I was ashamed. I ran into her again a few nights later at a bonfire where she decided to teach me to dance, and tried stabbing me in the process. That's when we decided to hunt. The beast was killed, and she offered me the heart. I had no idea it was a big deal, so I took one of her knives and halved it. I took a half and let her have the other. Things just kind of progressed from there I guess... the flirting and the games. Before I knew it I was carrying her off to my bed, and well... don't use that word."

Sisters by adoption then, though Alwine did not understand how one could adopt another and vice versa at the same time. That was not the shape of adoption that she knew of, but then again, there were many things about this galaxy outside of Stewjon that she did not know about, so she decided to just let that one go.

When Gerwald said he would never stop overcompensating for abandoning her, Alwine offered her brother a smile. They were almost of the same mind regarding that particular subject. While she had no intention of squeezing it for a forever, she'd certainly planned on taking her sweet time with it. There were things one charged an interest on, after all. And eventually, she would let it go, even if he would not.

Quietly, she listened as her brother began to lay the tale out. The sister had interfered while- No, shifted back. Lupines were being Lupines. But then why had a non-Lupine interfered? Alwine let a little giggle out a Gerwald mentioned being ashamed of walking naked. She'd had to do that several times by now, ever since leaving Stewjon, but she had never been ashamed of her nude form, even in its human shape. She always held her chin up and dared anyone who had a problem with it to try to do something about it. No one, thus, had.

Wait, teach him how to dance? Did that mean now both of her brothers could dance now? Alwine looked at Gerwald with curiosity. How di one get from dancing to stabbing? Heart were a big deal?

Alwine sighed. Questions were piling up.

"It seems you enjoy jumping over parts of the tale, Gerwald," she said quietly, "you were a virgin when you left Stewjon, yet trying to stab you somehow led to you bedding the woman who did?" she grinned then, like a kitten finding its saucer. "Something else happened there. Start with the heart. How is offering the heart a big deal, and what did you halfing it mean? And were the flirting and the games by the prey's carcass?"

No, it could not have been. Her brother sometimes had a lot of unpleasant surprise him, but this was not the case. This case sounded like a tale that perhaps he himself needed to hear again. Fully. Her opinion and her judgment though, she would keep for later. Now, Alwine merely wanted to hear this tale of things that happened.

Though, she had to admit, that somewhere in the back of her mind, she cursed, knowing she could not spell or write such a name. Scherezade.

"Come now, Gerwald," she said, taking her brother's hand, chocolate eyes returning to the sky's blue, "tell me everything, please. I want to see this through your own eyes, by your own words. From the hunt to the bed, and after."

Gerwald wasn't skipping over parts of the story, he was leaving out details that Alwine did not need to know. She did not need to know they had spent a full day or more together after the hunt which led to them sleeping together. It wasn't about those details, they were highly irrelevant to what Gerwald was feeling now. It was not about he and Scherezade, this was about Scherezade and Katrine. Gerwald had made his choice, and he was not about to hurt the other to mend the other, not again. Gerwald was in a position where he knew that if he was going to walk away from all of it, then it would be ALL of it. There were moments he wondered if that was what he should have done in the first place. Gerwald should have just left them both. With him out of the way, the two could repair their relationship.

"No," he simply replied. "This is not about that night, it is about the mistake I made in not being honest with both women, and myself from the start. Rehashing details of a night that bears no consequence on my failure to be true will not solve the matter at hand. It is a moot point anyway, because as long as I am in the life of either woman, they will not be able to repair their relationship. That much seems to be evident to me.

It was not the answer Alwine wanted to hear, Gerwald knew it. However, it was the answer she was going to receive, and no matter how much she pressed on the matter, Gerwald would not budge. Most of this was not her business anyway, but she wanted to help him, and Gerwald loved her for it. This was not the help he needed though. Yes, family needed to tell each other when they were being dumb, but they also needed to know when the other needed time to just ignore the obvious. He didn't know where he was in that mess, but Ger knew that reliving that night was not going to solve his current dilemma.

"I love you for wanting to help, dear sister, but this is not going to help. You should know by know it is fruitless to get a man to talk about his feelings, especially when that man is a Lechner."

Actually, Alwine did need to know it. She needed to know all of it. The list of ever growing questions in her head did not revolve simply around this Scherezade, she had every intention of asking about the auflaque and her time with Gerwald as well.

"No," she agreed, "it is not about the night you spent with one of them. But I need the full story, dalninuk. You give me little tidbits and leave me needing to hear more."

Alwine sighed and rose from the couch, taking the now empty mugs back to the kitchen, her mind was reeling over how she would explain this to her brother. She loved him in all the spaces her heart possessed, but she was not blind to his faults, one of them being the way he was raised. He had rarely had to think things deeply. Like most men who were raised like him, he clung to the surface, and had a hard time even realizing that he needed to consider deeper meanings and explanations of things that happened, even to himself.

Returning to the couch, she gave him a soft and reassuring smile.

"Not being honest with them was a mistake, dalninuk," she finally said after a short silence, taking her seat back on the couch, "but knowing you as well as I do, I have cause to believe that it is not the mistake. There were… And are, other things at play here. And I will be frank, I do not care for the relationship of those two. One I cannot even stand the scent of, and the other one I do not now. What I care about is you, and how this affects your life, because it is obviously far from ceasing to do so."

With a sigh, she leaned her side against the back of the couch.

"I am not asking you to talk about your feelings. I am asking you about the order of events that happened. Your feelings are plastered all over your face as it is and do not require explanations at the moment."

And he would not like what she had to say about his feelings. But that was better left for another time. Alwine wanted to hear her brother's tale and of what had happened, but she did not wish to pick a fight with him or tell him things that he would have a hard time hearing. She would, of course, with time. There would be no secrets between the siblings, and she would grant him the same she demanded of him; open and complete honesty about her life as well.

"Now, unless you are off to train," which she already knew he was not, "please tell me."

"Right so we are agreed. This is not about who I have or have not slept with. There is no need for the story. And if you really want the whole story it starts on Stewjon."

His eyes bore into hers, defiant as ever, but she was as insatiable as their mother sometimes, and now that she was latched onto this, Gerwald knew that she would never let it go. Alwine had way more stubborn patience than he did when it came to things like this, and the sudden need to leave and actually train was an option that Gerwald would gladly take.

He already knew what the problem was, and that was Gerwald spent most of his decisions as of late avoiding the difficult truth. Once he stepped into a mess, he avoided it as much as possible, to the point that others got hurt because of it. He simply sighed as they both knew he was going to the one who gave in.

"It starts from the moment I bumped into another drunk Lupine. Everything changed in that moment, and for the first time in my life I had a future, so I followed it. It was selfish, but there it was, and I have been making one selfish decision after the other, and for the first time... when I try to do something for them... You may not care about them, but I do. I love them, Alwine. I'm not about to repeat an entire story to you just to get to the heart of what you want... and there it is... my mistake.

Gerwald was still being stubborn about telling the entire story. He still did not see the need to do that. They were going to have to find some kind of compromise on this conversation fast, otherwise it was going to devolve into a power struggle, or one of them was just going to walk away.

Alwine's nostrils flared. She had promised herself she would not get angry and not start a fight with Gerwald, but he was truly trying her patience. If he dared think he could look at her with that defiant look and win, he was sorely mistaken. Among the Lechner siblings, Alwine was the one to have survived months without shifting. She was strong, and she had her proof regarding that. She would not back down.

Damn. It was a fight. But of a different kind. Not one that included breaking furniture and a sword pressed to the throat, not one that included snarling and growling.

"You are a fool, Gerwald," she shot at him, "the story does matter, or I would not be wasting time on it. I could be practicing my writing and reading or go back to the training halls, yet here we are."

Moving over on the couch in a fluid motion, Alwine straddled her brother's lap, their height differences making her seem more like a child than someone not that far from him in age. She'd pin him down if she had to, but she was going to know the entire story.

"I had intended to wait until you finished your entire story," she began, "but you force this out of me. Know that when I am done I expect your story in full, or you will find your tail and ears shaved next you shift."

She stared at her brother, chocolate brown drilling into sky blue.

"The story does not start the moment you bump into another drunk Lupine on Stewjon," she began, "the story begins when you are born to a Lupine who should have been executed the moment she ceased bringing forth children. And this woman, she tells you, 'there are no more Lupines. Other Lupines do not exist. You are among the last of the Lupines, and your family is the last of them.' And so you grow up with two siblings, believing that other Lupines are a myth, something with a smaller chance of existing than the Gods you are raised to worship, even though you and your siblings all know they do not exist, do not believe in their existent, and inwardly mock those who do believe."

To say that it was all their mother's fault would have been so easy, and Alwine desperately wanted to throw the entire blame on that wicked woman. But no. Gerwald was in his mid-twenties. Varick was older. Alwine was younger, but old enough already. No, there was a point during their life, a point that came by long before the Confederacy set foot on Stewjon, that they had all become adults, and all their choices and responsibilities had become their own, not to be blamed on their parents, even if their childhoods had all ended that first night each of them shifted, when secrecy and silence became their life.

"And then, lo and behold, another Lupine appears! And you, dear brother, are so blinded by seeing this mythical creature, that you not only go after this or other future you claim that you've seen when your eyes set on her, but you abandon your siblings because of it as well, leaving them on Stewjon knowing fully well what they would suffer without you there."

She glared at him. That was not going to be something she would easily forgive, even though while not-forgiving she still fought tooth and nail to keep the siblings united.

"And what's this? You go with her, but you do nothing with her. You go with her sister instead, all while knowing that she is the sister, and not because you are spreading your seed around or randomly fornicating with any filly who bats her eyelashes at you.

You refuse to tell me? I will tell you. You developed feelings for her somewhere between the dance with the knives and the actual fornication. Maybe even before that. Not love, not in love yet, but something. And all this while not doing anything about this stupid future that you saw that caused you to abandon your siblings on Stewjon."

She raised an eyebrow at her brother, daring him to tell her she was wrong about any of this so far.

"Now tell me how this continues."

"I did not know you would suffer with me gone, and I certainly did not know you were going to set fire to the village. My leaving may have prompted it, but there was no way I could have known your reaction would have been... uncharacteristically you."

It was Gerwald's only retort. He could not and would not blame her for what happened, but it was also unfair for her to hang this solely on his shoulders as well. There were many things he could be blamed for entirely, and he would shoulder all the blame for it. Gerwald had learned in his absence to stand on his own two feet. Katrine had taught him, Scherezade had as well. Everyone that had invested in him from the Confederacy thus far had given him the same message. Gerwald had to learn to stand for himself and who he was, without apology. If that meant he learned that he was different than the rest of his family, then so be it. Ger happened to think it could bring them closer though.

"It's a little obvious I developed feelings for the girl Alwine. If you have been listening to me I told you that I loved her, both of them. I do not know why I have to tell you the story so you can figure out the moment when that happened. I swear I am not being stubborn on purpose. And it was not while doing nothing with the other Lupine. I met Scherezade because she ran with us in the forest. I may not have been sleeping with Katrine, but there was not nothing."

Gerwald sighed.

"After that I went to get my shirt back from Katrine because she had taken after a run. I was left to walk naked back to the ship,,, that's how I met Scherezade by the way., that same run. That's when Katrine first told me that I was the one she wanted, and my only hesitation was I did not know what she meant by claiming, something that was going to cause a lot of trouble later. I told her she could have me if she caught me, and we went for another run, stayed out all night and slept under the stars after a hunt. The next morning we washed under a waterfall, which... well you can likely guess what happened with that. It was the first time we were together, when we made love."

"Scherezade took me to Coruscant after, and I said nothing to her... even when she told me that she loved me, I was not honest with her. I made far too many assumptions, and yet... there was this nagging thought that being honest was going to hurt her, and I did not want to do that. Which I ended up doing anyway. She got infected with a virus and quarantined, and I ran into Katrine while I was getting ready to see her. Something happened on the ship and we all started singing, and it was weird. I never went to see her though. I stayed with Katrine, more details you don't want to know. That was when she left for Coruscant on her own, and the next thing I knew we were rushing to save her because something had happened. Katrine felt it, and found me. It was through all of that the truth finally came out, and Scherezade disowned us both, but especially Katrine."

"There were a few moments where we saw her again. She was in desperate need of help, but she warned us that she would kill us if she saw us again. I didn't try until this time when I ran into her. I tried to get them both to reconcile, but they won't. I really do not care what happens to me in this anymore. If being in the middle of all this is what is causing this much conflict, than maybe I should not be in the middle of it.... Alwine the bottom line is, I made my choice, and I will not hurt the one to heal the other anymore. And I will not have you convincing me to do that either. I do not need your help in fixing this... I just need you to understand and support me, even if you think I am making a mistake."

Gerwald shrugged and he looked at his sister.

"That's what you're going to get from me. That's what you have to work with. I don't need you trying to fix the mess that is my love life... or the mess that I made of what it was."

Alwine rolled her eyes. Gerwald had known well enough that she would continue to suffer if left behind on Stewjon. She would have continued to suffer there even if she had never lit the food stores on fire. Stewjon had never been safe, not for her and not for Varick. Gerwald had it the easiest of the three, as his tastes in paramours was not considered unnatural and because he was not a woman, but even he had suffered on Stewjon, and there were no words that he could offer to change any of these written in stone facts.

She was also about to give him harsher words than before, but Gerwald began to speak then. In honest. Giving her the story. Oh, there were still plenty of important details missing, but he was speaking.

And she wanted to shave his fur throughout so many moments of the story, but Alwine forced herself to remain quiet, forced herself not to say a word. Not yet. She wanted him to speak freely, to tell her everything he could. She knew he was leaving out entire portions, and she would get for that, but for now she only had a small smile to offer to him as the words continued to flow out of him. She was almost certain that was the longest she’d ever heard him speaking on his own in their entire life.

Dalninuk,” she said quietly a few breaths after he had stopped speaking, “You cannot ask for my support and deny it in the same breath. There is a difference between support and blindly enabling you to continue to be a fool. Never doubt that I support you, even if you cannot understand how it is that I am doing so at the moment. But I promise you, you will understand. Just trust me a little bit.”

And there was the truth of it. If she did not support her brother as a person, she would have left the moment she could walk and shift on her own. Naturally, there were more reasons than that, but if that specific thing had been lacking, they would not be here right now. She would not be living in accommodation that he had provided her and their brother, and they would not be speaking about such heavy subjects.

“You must understand, Gerwald,” Alwine continued, “a choice is not something you make once. To repeatedly say that you’ve made your choice is a foolish thing to do. If choices were to be made once, you would never had returned to Stewjon. I do not bring this up now to repeat the subject, but because I believe this is how you will understand what I am trying to convey. When you left Stewjon, you were not a pauper. You had the means to return almost immediately. But you chose, again and again and again, not to do so. It was not one choice, it was not one moment that you can blame on weakness. It was a continuous thing.”

And then Alwine did something she very rarely did. She allowed Gerwald to see the pain of it. Not the physical one, which he had seen with his own eyes, but the emotional one, that she always kept under lock and key as she hid most of her emotions. She permitted her brother a glance at her vulnerability. Only two people in the entire galaxy had the power to put that expression on her face – Gerwald and Varick, and even with them she rarely allowed weakness to show. And there was much pain in her gaze now, as she explained to Gerwald that not only had he left her on Stewjon, but he chose day after day not to come back. The first few days, had he returned, she would have laughed at it and it would have easily been put behind. But with every passing day after that, it became harder to do so.

A few moments later though, Alwine’s expressions returned to their usual state. Enough was enough, even for her, even if she let Gerwald comprehend just how deeply his actions… Alwine sighed, and hoped that moment had not been wasted.

“If there was not-nothing going between you and the auflaque before that night with Scherezade, why did that night with Scherezade happen?” she began with her questions, hoping that since she covered the other things first, he would resume the conversation, “When your dearest future told you that you were the man she wanted, what did she know of you? Besides your name, you being a Lupine of Stewjon, and what your prick looked like, did she know you?” Alwine put her hand over her brother’s heart, her earlier scoff at the use of the word man hard to miss, “did she know anything of you as a person at all, or just that you were good looking and your Lupine parts were in order?”

Alwine had a nagging sensation that she knew the answer to that, but some things were better left for Gerwald to answer. Besides, there was the slightest chance that she was wrong.

“And then after the auflaque told you that she wanted you, you returned to her sister again. Why?” she asked, truly confused about that part. After all, the auflaque had told him she wanted him, he claimed that when he saw her on Stewjon he saw his future, and yet… He kept going back to Scherezade. Did he himself even comprehend the depth of what that meant?

But after that… After that, Scherezade had told him that she loved him. But with Scherezade, while spread more thinly, he had alluded to there being more than a single meeting, a single deed. “What was your time with Scherezade like before she told you that she loved you?” Alwine asked, “Did you two speak much? Did she take you to places other than Coruscant? Aside for the lack of honesty regarding her sister, was she learning you better as a person? When you were not honest with her, did you go immediately back home or did other things happen?”

Alwine sighed again. It was not a simple story. There were many details to it, and more that she needed to know if her brother wanted true and real support from her. No, she certainly did not want to know about his fornications with the auflaque. The thought of that alone was disgusting.

“You mentioned the virus earlier,” she continued, “but why did you not go and see her? Why did you not conclude your fornications, take a shower, and then go see her? If everyone was singing… What did you sing to the auflaque?”

And then came the last few parts, that only raised more questions. How did the truth come out?” she asked, squinting her eyes. There were so many ways to tell such a complicated tale, and she was certain that it had not happened in any gentle manner. “Did the auflaque know what had happened between the two of you by then? Why did you not give her the help she so desperately needed, even if she said she would kill you if she saw you again? You obviously knew she would not, or you would not have spoken with her yesterday at all.”

And then the sisters’ relationship… That sounded like another bad mess on its own. “How much did you actually see them together before she disowned the auflaque? How much do you know of what their relationship was? And how much exactly have you tried to invest in your future to go reconcile with her sister? Because my guess is you gave up after the first time.” There was no reason to assume otherwise. Gerwald would leave almost anything alone after the first attempt if he was not pushed and prodded into trying again. He gave up much too soon when it did not come to his Warrior training… And even with that, Alwine had her own worries, because he had all but given up on that as well. Was it because of the events with the sisters? She would ask him later about that.

“And what do you mean by ‘anymore’? Did you hurt Scherezade to heal the auflaque?” that bit she was completely confused over, since there had not been a grain of it before.

A third sigh, and Alwine took her brother’s hand in hers. His hand was so big compared to her own, she almost looked like a child’s in his. Her brother certainly had made a mess of everything, and Alwine certainly had no intention of fixing everything. Simply the important bits that dealt with her brother directly. Auflaque or no auflaque, her brother was in a deep mess made by his own doing, and she had every intention of supporting him as he cleaned the mess up and grew out of it as a person. Not for an auflaque, not for a Scherezade, not even for herself. But for him.

Her questions came at him in a rapid fire succession, one after the other after the other. They were too much and a clear sign that she was not going to respect his wish that she not get involved. This wasn't about support in the sense of offering her advice, but support in the sense that he needed her to hold him up until this washed over. The older they grew the more their function as siblings would change. What she was trying to offer him was something that he now looked to Katrine for, a betrayal to what Alwine and Gerwald had been at one point, or a growth into something new. Either way this was stepping into a place that perhaps was closely leaving the realm of what hers to do.

He sighed as he shook his head.

"I'm not denying your support, sister. I'm limiting the reach of how deep I am willing to let you prod at the moment. There is a significant difference. I am not asking you to fix this. I am not even asking you to understand it. I get that you want to, but don't you think there are certain details, certain feelings, that being about the pain and reopen wounds that are not fully healed. You are not offering support, you are demanding that tear open wounds that are not yet fully healed. I don't want you to tell me anything right now, as much as you think it is needed. I just want you to be there as I deal with the things I have done."

Each question pushed him away further. Every time she asked for another detail the more closed off to her he wanted to become. What Alwine may have thought was a display of strength, support, or whatever it was she had in her mind, Gerwald was now at a loss on how to communicate to her that this was not what he needed right now. How had it gotten to the place where she no longer understood that all he wanted, and needed, was the same sister that commiserated with him during the nights they were allowed to hunt and be free from their mother? Advice was not what he needed, but rather it was emotional support as he put the pieces of his own brokenness from his mistakes back together.

"I did not choose to hurt Scherezade to heal Katrine. I chose Katrine because I wanted to. I wanted to be her mate. I wanted to claim her. I want to be her king. The lupines will be rebuilt and reborn, and I will see to it. We will be strong once again. Katrine and I will make that happen, together. The families must come together, not breed, because we will only kill the gene pool, but the fighting it has to stop. I have learned so much even after my choice, dear sister, about the history of why we wound up on Stewjon, why mother taught us as she did. It must end. Our families must be allies again. This is more than just a simple choice. It is more than the fact I love Katrine. This is also about our species. And before you dare say it... no... I did not reject Scherezade because she is not a Lupine. As much as it sounds that I did."

"I made my choice, and no amount of details that I can tell you will change that, and I'm not going to go back on it. I would rather have neither of them than be put in the situation to choose again... and if you want to support me as you truly say, then leave my choice alone and be with me as I live through it, and all the choices that I will make after. I promise that when I need your advice I will come to you for it, I will give you all the details that you need to help me come to a good sense of what to do. This isn't one of those times... because right now... she does not need to see me again, and I do not need to see her again, so I don't need this fixed... I just need to get through it. I don't have to understand it to do that."

No, these were not things he would be going to Katrine for. Alwine did not need to know his inner thoughts in order to be able to respond to such nonsense. Both she and Gerwald knew that he would not be going to the auflaque to discuss Scherezade. If she had to guess, she would’ve wagered that the subject had come up a single time, and then either Gerwald waved it away, or the auflaque did. And the other either did not bring it up again, or waved it away every time it did.

“Your wounds are not healing, dalninuk,” Alwine replied calmly, “you did not see your face as you walked on the ship tonight. You do not see your face as you speak and as you mention name. You tell me I am ripping wounds, I am telling you – they are wide open and bleeding. I will not let you ignore the blood loss of them just because you are too much of a stubborn fool to treat them properly, and this is part of it. You are correct that I am trying to fix a situation, but that situation is not the auflaque and that situation is not Scherezade. That situation is you, and I will not let you allow yourself to continue to bleed and fall. You are my brother and I love you too much to let you do such a thing.”

She understood well enough what he wanted. He wanted to deal with the situation in the only way he knew; ignore it until enough time had passed so that he could claim it no longer mattered. But that was not how things worked. Gerwald had swept so much under the carpet and continued to do so. Was he even aware of it? The sister that had hunted with him to be free of their mother was sitting atop of him right now, her resolve as strong as it had ever been, but no longer confined and hidden, no more words in hushed tones due to fear of being overheard by their mother. Alwine was not the memories of Gerwald’s sister; Alwine was his sister.

And then…

Alwine became a still statue atop of her brother as soon as the word king was uttered. King? Was that what it had taken to blind him to things he admitted on his own only to ignore it a moment later? Everything inside of Alwine wanted to rise up and scream, wanted to hurt her brother for not even listening to himself. Did he not realize the amount of poodoo that was coming out of his mouth?

“You… Want to be king over the ten or so Lupines that exist, all of whom being either family or soon to be family?” she asked quietly, so very quietly once she had a moment to get over the shock of the information that Gerwald had dumped on her. The thought of being related to the auflaque made her sick to her stomach. What nonsense had the auflaque filled her brother’s mind with?! “You intend on being the mate of someone you will not breed with and you try to mask it as an attempt to save our species?” That... Did not even begin to make sense. The anger now flashed in her eyes. Silent anger, the cold one. She had promised herself she would not start a fight, had promised herself she would not anger Gerwald in this conversation by her own rage, but it was becoming harder to keep that promise now with every breath.

“Our history does not matter. Our history does not change a thing regarding what we have been through,” she said as she finally left her brother’s lap, needing to stand a few feet away and keep him for the moment out of the reach of her fists. “What matters is our present and our future, and you are working very hard on ruining it. How exactly does you becoming the auflaque’s mate save it? Because you will wear a crown? Did she even see you leading men in battle or deal with harsh tactic situations before she offered it or is the idea of a crown so blinding to you that you never thought to question what caused her to offer it at all?”

No. Absolutely not. There had been no mentions of that even happening at all, not around the auflaque and not in the CIS in general. And still she needed her answers from before, though every second now threatened to cloud that need. Alwine was seething.

“I understand nothing of it,” she at last admitted, turning to look at her brother again, “I am asking you because I need to understand why you would do this. Why you would end up with her even though you did so many things to take you away from what you described as your future. I do not understand why you think you are doing the right thing. And I do not understand why you are so willfully blind that you insist on being with a woman who would happily destroy Lupines while claiming to want to save our species. I do not care about you choosing one of the sisters, Gerwald. I care that you are with the auflaque and cannot see what a bad place you have put yourself in and insist on clinging to.”

“Because I had a choice to make, and I made it. It is that simple. I was not going to be with both women in the way both of them wanted. I chose, and I continue to choose Katrine.”

It was as simple as that, and he could understand why it wasn’t to Alwine. Gerwald thought he did at least. How could he choose someone when he was in love with another, and yes, there was no sugarcoating his thoughts or feelings. Gerwald has loved Scherezade, and he loved Katrine. Those feelings would always be there, but one always had the pull.

“I chose where the wolf pulled me. I can’t expect you to understand that, but the more you are in this galaxy you will realize that the wolf is who we are. This human form is just that, and at the same time there are also wants and desires that sometimes conflict.”

With that, Gerwald set to correct her misunderstanding on some things.

“I didn’t say I will not mate with her. I said our families need to come together but not for the purpose of mating. There is a difference there. Lupine’s will always be dominant and any child you have or I have will always be a Lupine. I also haven’t said that we are going to rule over 10 or so Lupines. There are more than that easily just with how many children her grandfather had alone.”

”I am happy and miserable at the same time, and it’s because I wasn’t faithful, nor did tell either of them anything. My selfishness got me here, and it isn’t going to get it me out of this. If you want to know what’s truly bothering me, it’s the fact that I thought I could fix something, but I can’t even do that right it seems.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom