Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Heart of the Universe

Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

Slip followed Nimdok back inside, where there stood Bithia. She seemingly knew something was up. Nimdok tried explaining it to her. Then he started asking her questions about their life back then. Slip saw what he was doing, the cheeky bastard. Slip would have to mention this "Elise" character to Red when he got back from whatever it was he was doing. Seemed like Nimdok has gotten yet another girlfriend. This guy had way too confusing of a life.

Then, Nimdok told her to get a glass, fill it with water, and then drink it. Surprisingly, she obeyed, except for that last part.

“I can’t,” she replied. “It will damage my insides.”

Interesting. So water was one of her weaknesses. That could be useful in the future. Slip made a mental note of that. Nimdok told her to pour out the water and then crush the glass in her hand. Once again, she obeyed, crushing it in her bare hand. So, she was programmed to follow his every order.

Nimdok told Slip to come over to him and Bithia, who was sitting down in an arm chair. Slip came over, but the shadow man stayed where he was. The shadow man looked mildly peeved whenever the automatic vacuum zoomed right through him.

“Slip, do you have a programming needle?”

Slip pulled a programming needle out of his pocket. "Hey! I might not be like Red, but I was still trained like him! You know, always prepared for anything? Or, in my case, mostly everything." He shrugged.

Then Bithia seemingly had a panic attack, jumping up and holding up her fists. No amount of pleading from Nimdok would stop her.

"Those visions of yours didn't reveal any of the biot's weaknesses, did they?"

Slip looked at him. "Which part? You mean the one where Red brought an actual flamethrower and sonic weaponry, which had a massive effect on his biot? Or the part where Inanna, not as well equipped as Red, barely escaped with her life?" He replied sarcastically. "If you're asking, no, I didn't bring anything that has an effect on her. Who do you think I am, Red? That guy's crazy! One time I saw him beat up five pirates with some electrical wire and a chair! I most definitely do not own a flamethrower!" He said. Slip sighed. "Remember what she said earlier? That water will damage her? Know any good lakes or ponds nearby?" Slip asked him, using his knowledge from earlier.

Slip pulled out his lightsaber, igniting it, the green blade matching his hair color. "Just point me in the direction of a body of water, and I'll do the rest. This shouldn't be too hard, at least it isn't the one that Red was fighting." He said.

Subject 648 Slipknot Subject 648 Slipknot

Bithia’s reaction to Slip drawing and igniting his lightsaber was swift and immediate. Reaching for the armchair between them, she lifted it off the floor and over her head with ease, brandishing it threateningly. “Don’t come any closer!”

“Hey, hey!” Nimdok exclaimed, holding out his arms. “Slip, turn your lightsaber off. Bithia, put the chair down. We’ll talk this over.”

“There’s nothing to talk about!” Bithia snapped—though her protests were undercut by her obediently following his orders and putting the armchair back. “I’m fine the way I am! I can still function like this.” She shook her head. “Please, I don’t want to wind up trapped in a broken body. Don’t do this. I’m begging you.”

Nimdok grimaced. The idea of dooming his ex-wife to such a fate was something he didn’t like considering, but he had to acknowledge that it was a very real possibility. Wracking his brain for something to reassure her with, he weighed their options. “If Slip can’t fix you, you might as well be trapped,” he replied. “I can’t let you stay with us as long as you’re like this. I can’t trust you around Miri. Do you want to be able to see her, be with her?”

“Yes,” Bithia whispered. “More than anything.”

“Then you have to let us try to help you.” He clenched his fists at his sides. “If we screw it up, I promise I won’t let you remain a prisoner inside this body. I’ll find a way to free you, no matter what it takes. All right?”

Slowly, she tried to nod her head—only to be stopped short by a violent shudder that warped her expression. She fought the self-preservation programming as best she could, but it was no use. “Hurry up and do it!” she ground out between her teeth. “I can only defy it for so long.”

Nimdok wrapped his arms around her in what looked like a tender embrace, but was really only for the purpose of pinning her arms down so she couldn’t fight them off while Slip put the programming needle in her neck. He wasn’t sure of how strong she was; he might not be able to hold her. “Slip, get to work,” he said, his tone urgent.

Slip watched as Bithia raised the arm chair, holding it menacingly. Slip was ready to attack her whenever Nimdok told Slip to turn off his lightsaber and for Bithia to lower the chair. Bithia complied, despite her obviously wanting to argue against it. "I never get to have any fun." Slip complained, but he reluctantly turned off his lightsaber and clipped it to his utility belt.

Nimdok spoke with Bithia, trying to calm her down and explain it to her. After a quick conversation Bithia sat down, allowing them to do it, but still said that she wouldn't be able to resist for long. Nimdok went over and put his arms around her. It would have looked like a sweet embrace, if Slip didn't know that he was obviously trying to pin her down. Slip wasn't sure how effective that would be, as she easily picked up that chair, so she obviously had quite a bit of strength.

Nimdok told Slip to get to work, and Slip nodded and quickly moved towards Bithia. He pulled out the programming needle and a datapad. He inserted the programming needle, and the datapad booted to life. "Alright, I'm in and- Whoa! This is, some seriously complex stuff. It might take me a bit just to get through the security protocols, and override the fail safes, all will keeping her systems from overheating, and if she overheats then she will most likely explode and kill us all." Slip said, shrugging. "Technology is a fickle thing. Especially this complex of technology. I've never seen anything like this. Removing the programming and protocols that force her to listen to your every command and that keep her trapped and unable to defy the programming and that keeps her obedient will be even more difficult and strenuous." Then, Slip noticed something strange in her programming. "Wait... What the hell is that? Some of this code is... altering, shifting seemingly randomly in real time. I can't make sense of any of it, I can't find any pattern in the shifts whatsoever. It's a bunch of commands and... something I don't recognize. I've never seen any sort of programming like this and... Holy chit I know what it is!" Slip exclaimed. "So, if your soul is binded in there to the machine and to the code, then this programming would essentially be the communication center between your soul and the machine. The shifts remind me of patterns in the brain, like electrons firing between each other, but in code form. Passing on information and thoughts and feelings and all of the other things you're thinking of. Then there's this empty spot as a rotating polynomial variable, and the code binds to it. That must be where the information from your spirit comes from." Slip said in amazement, mostly to himself. He could do this. All he needed to do was to unbind the protocols dictating her obedience. But Slip had to be careful, or he might damage something important.

"Alright, I've started the process of bypassing your security protocols. I'm using a root hexadecimal cipher to bypass them. If you feel a small twinge, that's good! It means it's working. Also, don't... Ah... Don't think about following your programming, please. Touching this far into your back-brain, if you suddenly decide to switch sides and think about your programming while under stress, well, let's just say that it will vitrify your brain and might begin an information overload, which will signal in your security protocols that a DDoS attack is happening, which will then effectively give you the mental capacity of a slug, and your entire code that replicates your frontal lobe will then go static. And that, we do not want. And don't visualize that, either. Just thinking about it under stress will trigger the reaction." He told Bithia.

As he worked, sweat dripped down him onto the floor. This was intense, and one wrong step could be devastating. Slip worked slowly but carefully, making sure that he didn't mess up anywhere.

“Real smooth, Slip,” Nimdok muttered. “You could’ve just said ‘don’t think about it’ and left it at that, you know.”

Luckily for both of them, Bithia’s concentration was focused on fighting her programming, and she seemed unaware of the worrisome words coming out of the green-haired boy’s mouth. As Slip began his work, however, Nimdok began to feel Bithia squirming, her arms straining against his grip. Was she weakening already? Obviously her strength and willpower wasn’t completely gone, or else she would’ve already thrown him off her and torn out the programming needle. Nimdok’s own resolve wavered as he mulled over Slip’s gruesome warnings. To distract them both, he did what he did best—he started talking, though he kept his voice low so that Slip wouldn't be disturbed.

“I’m sorry I left you alone,” he said softly. “I'm sorry I didn't come find you as soon as I came back. But we were on the run, and I had to be careful for Miri’s sake...” He hesitated. “The Jedi and the Sith think that it’s only possible for them to defy the will of the Force, and then only for so long. And yet here I am, an ordinary man living again in defiance of my fate. It definitely won’t last forever, though. It can’t. Part of the arrangement between Arimanes and I is that I’ll only stay until Miri grows up. That’s another ten years away, but I can feel the Force tugging on me even now, trying to call me home. The pull is always there, like my shadow haunts my steps. You get used to it, but it never goes away altogether.”

She shuddered in his arms, flesh warping strangely. For a moment Nimdok was afraid she would eject the programming needle from her body, but the instrument remained stubbornly in place.

“My point is, I’m not so sure I can stay here much longer,” he whispered. “If it turns out I have no choice but to go back to the Netherworld—back to being well and truly dead—then it’ll be up to Arimanes, Inanna, Red and all their friends and allies. I believe they can stop Messala, with a little luck. But I’m not so sure they can take good care of Miri. So maybe it's a good thing you're here, even if Messala didn't intend it that way.”

Bithia had been listening. Now she struggled to reply, grinding each word out. “You… told me. Before… I remember. You would go… I would stay… with Miri.” Her eyes stared straight ahead, gazing with open hatred and grief upon something—or rather someone—who wasn’t truly there. “He… made me leave… my baby… alone…

She went limp, collapsing with her eyes closed as if she had fainted. Nimdok managed to catch her upper body as she fell. He tried to shake her awake, but she remained slumped in his arms. “Slip!” he hissed, whirling around to face the boy. “Did you do something? Why did she—”

He was silenced by the sound of the front door sliding open. His heart sank. Miri was already home from school. Had that much time passed while Slip was working? He looked up in time to glimpse Miri pulling off her backpack, setting it on a chair by the door, opening it to rifle through the contents. But before he could say anything to her, he felt Bithia’s hand close around his neck—albeit not with enough force to cut off his air supply. Not sure what was going to happen now, he stood very still and waited to see what else she would do.

Last edited:

“Real smooth, Slip,” Nimdok muttered. “You could’ve just said ‘don’t think about it’ and left it at that, you know.”

"Does a doctor tell their patient when they've contracted a possibly deadly virus? Yes, now quiet, I'm trying to work." He told Nimdok without looking up from his datapad.

Nimdok started speaking with Bithia, but kept it so low that Slip wasn't even bothered by it, and could barely hear it at all. He kept on working, trying to unbind her protocols and programming, and also trying to piece some other pieces of code together, which would make her life in this body much smoother. She was right, The Lord of Doubt definitely had little idea what he was doing when he made her. Luckily, Slip would be able to patch together areas of the broken code, and still unbind her security protocols and obedience programming.

As he worked, Bithia went limp, and slumped. The programming needle nearly fell out, but Slip managed to hold it in place. That was a close one. If that came out, the code would have become even more broken than before. Slip breathed a sigh of relief.

“Slip! Did you do something? Why did she—”

"No! I honestly have no idea what happened! She should still be-" But then, Slip was interrupted when he heard a voice in his head. A warning.

Someone's at the door. The voice said.

Then, as if on cue, the door opened. Slip turned, and saw her. Miri. She looked exactly like how Red had described her. He watched as she set her bag down on a chair, and started looking through it. Then, another voice came to him.

Behind you

Slip turned his head, and saw Bithia's hand around Nimdok's neck. It didn't seem like he was choking, in fact he was still breathing. Her grip didn't have the force to cut off his air supply, at least. That was a relief. But her holding him in such a threatening position definitely alarmed Slip. Slip looked over at the shadow man, who looked right back at him. They nodded at each other, in understanding. Since the shadow man didn't have the technological know-how how of Slip, Slip would continue working on Bithia, as stopping now could trigger catastrophe, while the shadow man would attempt to deal with Miri. As for NImdok, well, he wasn't in any immediate danger, not yet, and there wasn't much they could really do about that, so seeing as how he wasn't in danger for the time being, they would have to let him be for a moment. Like Nimdok had said, they could not trust Bithia around Miri.

The shadow man walked over to Miri. To her surprise, she would be able to see him, but fully, not like the glimpses that Nimdok had earlier. She was getting the full package, like Slip. Nimdok, once again, would see flashes of the shadow man, and might possibly hear flashes of him speaking.

"Hi, Miri." The shadow man said calmly, approaching her. "Don't be alarmed. I'm friendly. I'm a friend of Red." He told her. "Well, more like I'm attached to someone who knows Red personally, basically like his little brother. His name is Slip." He continued. "Now, you're going to need to wait. You can't go into that room, alright? Don't worry, your father and Slip are both here, and they're in the room behind me, but they are doing something incredibly important. So you can't go in there, not yet. It's too dangerous to go in there. Do you understand me?" He asked her. The shadow man understood what might go down if Miri entered the room. She would see her deceased mother, holding her deceased father by the throat, and a green-haired boy doing something strange she didn't understand. She might have a straight up breakdown. And Bithia might go ballistic once again, which would be dangerous for everyone, forcing Slip to act, and it would be incredibly traumatic for Miri watching Slip slice her returned mother in half, and then drowning her in water.

Slip, meanwhile, managed to break through another protocol and unbinded another string of obedience programming. Instead of discarding the string of programming, he binded it to the section that allowed her control over her body and mind. This would allow Bithia to have complete control over her own body and mind, and to allow her to make her own decisions without orders. This would make her decision-making skills better ten-fold, and allow for better computation and response time. But if she saw Miri during this process, well, the warning that Slip gave earlier, about the vitrification of her brain, the information overload, and the static effect of the programming for her frontal lobe would most likely happen as she lost control. Well, probably. What Slip wa doing was both an art and a science, so it could be hard to tell what would happen.

As neither Nimdok nor Bithia tried to call out for Miri, everything should be fine.

He hoped.

Bithia stirred. The first thing she saw was her hand around Nimdok’s neck, and Nimdok himself looking at her with wide eyes.

The last thing she remembered—and even then, the memory was indistinct—was being trapped in darkness and silence. Now her mind and sense of consciousness seemed to be floating, fluid, quite unlike the claustrophobia and sensory deprivation she had experienced before this moment. Where once she had been crammed in a tiny space, now she was unsure of the boundaries of her being.

Returning to that final memory of the dark place, she lingered upon it. Yes, she had been blinded and deafened, but… there had been a face in the shadows, a hideous, deformed visage that hovered above her. And along with the face, there had been a voice...

“I told you I would make you a goddess,” the face had said. His voice reminded her of a spice dealer, scratchy and ratlike and crooning, ugly and yet still able to seduce the curious and soothe the addict. “You will still be Bithia, the wife and mother. But you will also be so much more.”

Unable to move or speak, but knowing the intentions of the monster, she had burned internally with rage and sorrow and frustration, her impotent hatred directed toward the figure that owned the face. But she had been helpless and powerless as clay in the hands of the sculptor. He had twisted and molded her as he saw fit, changing her into a new shape. A strange, unfamiliar, alien form…

“This is not an act of cruelty or malice,” the voice continued, gentle yet insistent. “It is an act of mercy. I will restore you to your family. You will live again, in a body which can survive nearly anything. You can protect your child as even your husband cannot. You will make him obsolete. He can continue with his work, unhindered by the distractions of fatherhood…" The voice chuckled. "Yes, I know firsthand how difficult it is. I understand. But everything will be all right once you reach them. Waste no time, spare no expense—circumvent or destroy any obstacles you encounter. No matter what it takes, you must find them.”

Then the strangling, lifeless womb which had contained her had vomited her up, and now she was here.

Which was…?

Nimdok continued to stare at her, unable to tear his eyes away. Also in the room—the apartment, she realized—was a teenage boy with wild green hair stuck to his forehead with sweat. His gawky hands clutched a datapad, fingers flying furiously across the screen, a pale pink tongue sticking out of the corner of his mouth as he worked. A wire coiled from the device, slithering up and around her shoulder.

She could neither feel Nimdok’s throat bobbing under her hand nor the pinprick of the programming needle at the nape of her neck, but she knew both were there. Her more recent memories returned in a rush. Awakening in a cavernous cargo hold, seeing two others like her already getting dressed and arming themselves. Her sisters had nodded at her as they each left in turn, exiting the ship into the winter smog on Nar Shaddaa. One of them had gone with a blonde-haired woman. The other had disappeared into the fog. Bithia found herself on her own, but she knew where she needed to go, what she had to do.

Find them.

She chased Nimdok and Miri across the stars, tracking them first to Lao-mon, then to Coruscant, then finally to Thustra. The programming which held her as if in a spider’s web dulled her notions of right and wrong. She thought she was seeking them out for a good reason. That she was simply coming home to her family. That the monster had indeed been merciful by stealing her soul and placing it in this new and wonderful vessel. It pained her when Nimdok didn’t understand this. Wasn’t he glad to see her, even with all the time that had passed, and the complications that had arisen? Couldn’t they overcome these obstacles together? For Force’s sake, she was not only alive and free again, she was better than ever!

But if she couldn’t… if all hope of salvaging the situation was lost…

She released Nimdok, who breathed an audible sigh of relief. But then her hand reached back behind her head, manicured fingers closing around the needle, intent on pulling it out.

Still standing by the front door, Miri glanced up sharply as she sensed the presence of the shadow man. By now eight years old, she gave him a suspicious glance-over with eyes that were nearly identical to her father’s, then quickly reached into the collar of her school uniform, pulling out a pendant shaped like a dragon which hung on a chain around her neck. Nimdok had forbidden her from wearing it to school, but she often snuck it under her blouse and wore it openly at recess to frighten away bullies.

Continuing to rummage around in her backpack, she pulled out a child’s datapad and began to play a game, completely ignoring the shadow man. She knew her father was alive and in the next room, as she could sense him through the Force. She also could detect his agitated state, and the presence of another individual. It wasn’t Red, so she supposed it was this Slip person they mentioned. Even if he was lying to her about the reason they were there and what was going on in the next room, there wasn’t much she could do. If the shadow man tried to attack her, he would find a nasty surprise waiting for him courtesy of her deceptively cheap-looking necklace.

Last edited:
Ishani Dinn Ishani Dinn Jacen Nimdok Jacen Nimdok

The shadow man sighed as Miri just pulled out a datapad and a pendant, which she put around her neck. She could obviously see and hear him, which kind of surprised him. Usually, only Slip could interact with him, but now Miri could as well. Whatever the case, the shadow man was just glad that she had listened to him and decided to wait there. The shadow man gave a thumbs up, and in the other room, Slip gave a small thumbs up. The shadow man leaned against the wall, watching Miri play her game. A set of instructions feeded to him from Slip.

Ease her into it

The shadow man looked at her intently. "Miri, what do you remember of your mother?" He asked her, mouth never opening, and yet the words still came from him. It was more than likely that she remembered nothing of her mother, but there could still be bits and pieces that she remembered.

Meanwhile, Slip furiously typed on the datapad. He was on the final leg of the reprogramming. All he needed to do was to break through the last security protocol, and then string together the final piece of code. All he needed was a little bit more time. Once he finished, Bithia would require a "hard reset", which would allow for the changes to finalize and take allow your system and her spirit to accept the changes. The only problem was, it would require more energy than Bithia currently had stored up. What was the way that they said was the way that she nourished herself? It was... some sort of vampire like thing, if he remembered correctly. Though what she feed off of, Slip couldn't remember. All he knew was that she would require at least some extra charge before doing the reset, otherwise it wouldn't work all the way.

Then, Bithia released Nimdok from her grasp. Looking at the code, something had... Changed inside of her. Slip had no idea what, if only he could touch her soul through the Force, if only he could see what was going on in her mind, on the other side of his work, then he would have a better idea on what was happening inside there.

But then, she reached back, obviously intent on pulling out the programming needle. Slip needed to act fast, or she might damage her core processes if she pulled Slip out of her backbrain right now, as he was very deep within her systems. Her hand closed around the needle, and Slip reacted accordingly. He grabbed her hand, holding the programming needle in place.

"Bithia, please, don't. I can make you be with Nimdok and Miri, once again. I can fix you. But if you remove it, I won't be able to reunite you with your family." He told her.

"I know what it's like to be alone, to be forced to be something you wish you weren't, to be broken. I never had someone there to fix me, to try to make me better, to just have someone there for me. I never had anyone to look out for me." He told her. "But you do. You have Nimdok, and Miri. I never was able to escape my cage, but you can. The Lord of Doubt gave you a second chance, but ripped you from your son. Only you can decide how you want to go forward." Slip continued, trying to reach her.

"Please, I can fix-" But then Slip stopped, mid-sentence, gasping. He had finally managed to connect with her spirit through the Force. Slip had no idea how, because she was completely void in the Force, which he guessed had to do with some sort of Force cancelling thing she had inside of her. But she obviously wasn't completely immune against the Force.

He could see into her mind. All the memories buzzing past her. He could feel the suffocating darkness and repressive silence she had been trapped in. But then, the hideous and terrifying face emerged from the darkness, speaking to her in a gravelly, scratchy voice, that was both painful to listen to and strangely addicting and soothing. He felt all of the emotions she had felt towards the face, feeling them flow through him. And suddenly, he found himself hating the person who's face it belonged to, feeling her pain and hatred for the man pulling her out.

Then, she was spat out into existence. More memories flooded him. The two other biots preparing to head off for their missions, with one going with another woman, who Slip presumed was the one Red named Thetis. He saw her journey across the stars, tracking down Nimdok and Miri. He could see that something was preventing her from having any sort of conception of right and wrong. That was it; that was what he needed to change. He needed to break that sequence of code, and then restring it to make it to where she could understand what sort of consequences her actions had.

But then, more hit him, her current emotions, her want to be with Nimdok and Miri, and her need to, being ordered by The Lord of Doubt. He saw that she didn't hate The Lord of Doubt, but was in fact grateful for a second chance, another chance to be with her family, but she still felt like Arrius Messala deserves a horrible punishment, which he truly did.. He could feel how it was to be trapped in an unfeeling body. It was... a strange feeling. But he could tell that she still had emotions. He felt... sympathy, for her.

But the connection was two-way. Bithia could see into his mind, too. She would see a flash of bright light, feel burning pain, like everything was on fire, a sudden burst of energy, and then... Life. She would see the shattered pods, the scorch marks of an electrical fire, the burned walls that had once been immaculate and clean, but now scarred from an explosion. But what she would see most importantly, were the bodies of the other experiments. She would hear the screams of pain of the dying, the alarms going off, a soft, red light bathing the room. Next thing she knew, people in immaculate lab coats would rush into the room from some unseen, hidden room behind a splintered one-way transparisteel window. Their words were strange, but she would be able to pick up their tone of voices, as Slip had back then.

He shouldn't be alive.

The other experiments from his batch had died, Slip was the only survivor. He wasn't even made like the other experiments, either being created while still an embryo in the womb, or taken at a young age and experimented on. No, he had been made completely artificially, completely made from scratch, to create a perfect genetic code, but there had been many, many mistakes. He might be very powerful, yes, but he was extraordinarily unstable, and he could barely use most of that power and strength. Slip had always been different from the other experiments, in many, many ways.

Bithia would see Slip, alone in multiple environments, deserts, arctic regions, mountains, rainforests, even out in the middle of the ocean, by himself, being forced to survive with no outside help, being left on his own to see how well he could survive in a dire survival situation. Being out there, alone, with no one but his own broken mind, it did things to him. He could feel his mind slowly but surely falling faster and faster to the depths, driving him ever closer to madness.

Then, she would see small flickers of the battle between the experiments and the criminal syndicate that tried to pillage the labs. Death was everywhere, blaster bolts flew everywhere, explosions could be heard happening all around, and the fighting seemed to happen in every corridor, in every hallway.

Then would come the visions of after the battle. Bithia would be in Slip's perspective. They were huddled in a corner, bodies surrounding him, both pirate and experiment. He/She looked at their hands, which were shaking, unable to be stopped, they were covered in blood. A bloodied vibroblade lay near them. A dead pirate, with a look of shock still plastered on his face, looked at Slip through his dead, lifeless eyes. Sounds and voices echoed through his head. The voices spoke rapidly, overlapping each other, trying to convince him to cause more pain and death. The death cries of the pirates he had slaughtered still ringing in his mind. He just wanted to fall, deeper and deeper into the abyss, perhaps finding peace at the dead bottom... Perhaps if he were to die, then he might finally have peace...

Then, someone approached Slip, and helped him up. Bithia/Slip looked up at the person as they helped him walk down the hallway. A familiar mess of red hair matched the gaze of the piercing red eyes of the experiment. It was Red. Red merely gave Slip a small, reassuring smile.

"I might be injured, but that doesn't mean I can't help others." Red had told him when Slip asked why Red had helped him, despite showing multiple injuries. Red had always known who he was, someone that would help others, no matter the cost to himself. But Slip had never known who he was. He had never known what he was supposed to be.

Who was he?

"Bithia... I'm... I'm sorry. I didn't know." He told her, aloud, his voice strangely raspy and dry. "We're not all that different. We're both not supposed to exist. Our very existence is an affront to nature. We should not be alive, at all. I understand. Do you... Do you want me to pull out the needle?" He asked her, tasting blood in his mouth. Connected with her through the Force had taken a toll on him. He felt woozy, his head swimming. He could taste blood in his mouth. He could barely hold himself up, feeling like he was about to pass out.

And because Slip had connected with Bithia through the Force, since Miri could sense him through the Force, she would now be able to sense the presence of another person in the room, one she wouldn't be able to recognize, as they had died before Miri gained her Force powers, but one that was vaguely familiar to her.

This was a weird day, even for Slip's standards. He saw what Red had meant when Red said to expect something entirely unexpected to happen, and Nimdok's dead wife returning from the grave in an indestructible droid body was definitely something he didn't expect.

Nimdok's life was way too complex and confusing. Seriously, how many people have both Arimanes and Nimdok had a romantic relationship with?!

"Miri, what do you remember of your mother?"

Miri shrugged at the shadow man’s question. “I dunno. She died when I was little.”

Not long after she replied, she abruptly looked up from her screen and at the door to the other room, her expression troubled. She sensed the third presence now, or rather the presence surrounded by a strange void in the Force which seemed familiar and yet not...

Inside the room, Nimdok had just barely recovered from the terror he had (admittedly) experienced while Bithia’s hand was gripping his throat. He rubbed his neck as he looked between her and Slip, not sure what exactly was going on between them.

Then Bithia suddenly let go of the programming needle and instead took hold of the boy’s arm, pulling it toward her mouth. Nimdok reacted just in time to stop her, placing one hand on Slip’s arm and pushing it away while his other took hold of Bithia’s hair, yanking it back. “Slip, I strongly suggest you finish,” he said, annoyance undercutting the urgency of his tone. He didn't understand why the boy had allowed himself to get caught up in his sympathies for the biot. Offering to stop the operation and let her go before they finished fixing her seemed like an extremely dangerous and foolish mistake. “Don’t forget that she’s been programmed. She can’t truly make any decisions on her own, not until you get rid of it, all of it!”

He turned back to Bithia, his voice pleading. “Listen to me. I’m willing to let you stay with us. I want you to be there for Miri, if that’s what you want. But even if you decide to go your own way, you have to let us finish this. It’s the only way you can have that choice.”

Bithia looked up at him. Her mouth was agape, revealing sharp metallic fangs which had descended when she tried to bite Slip. “I need to feed,” she rasped, her voice barely above a whisper. "That way I'll have enough energy to reboot..."

In spite of everything, Nimdok breathed a sigh of relief. “Well, do me a favor and don’t snack on my guests,” he replied with dry humor. Still holding her by the hair, Nimdok studied her face, his brow furrowed. He noticed there was a slight pinkish glow emanating from the center of her pupils—and it reminded him of someone else. Years ago on the planet Samovar, he had encountered a mysterious woman who called herself “Lorna”. She too had pink glowing eyes, along with an eerie inhumanity that he hadn’t been able to figure out. Shaking his head, Nimdok filed away the strange connection for later. There were more immediate problems to deal with now.

He supposed he was going to have to be Bithia’s next meal, seeing as Slip was still working on erasing her programming and Miri was out of the question. Coincidentally (or maybe not so coincidentally), Elise Ike Elise Ike also fed on thoughts and memories. She was from an infamous family of energy vampires native to Atrisia. Though she had never fed off of Nimdok, what Bithia had said earlier was true. He was willing to do it—hell, he had an almost academic curiosity about the experience. His only concerns lay in what he might lose.

“You said you feed on thoughts and memories, yes?” he asked. “How much do you need?”

She licked her lips. “I can get by on the memory of what someone had for breakfast this morning, or their ride to work. But… to do this, I'll need more than that.” After a moment’s hesitation, she admitted, “A month’s worth of memories.”

Nimdok winced. A month wasn’t extreme, but it was still a lot to ask for. “And what will happen afterwards?”

“You’ll be paralyzed, but only for a few minutes,” she replied, already guessing what he was planning. “You may feel a little bit disoriented, but it won’t harm you.”

“I consider removing an entire month from my memory pretty harmful,” he pointed out, but he let the matter go. There was nothing they could do about the less-than-ideal circumstances they were in except go along with it. “...just try not to consume anything important, all right?”

She nodded. “Slip,” he said, getting the boy’s attention. “Whatever happens, finish what you started.” With that, he held out his free hand to Bithia, who promptly seized it and bit down on the inside of his wrist.

Nimdok stiffened, a gasp escaping him. The sensation of her fangs penetrating his flesh was... deeply unpleasant, to be blunt. He felt dizzy, and there was pain in his wrist where she had bitten him. But the initial discomfort soon faded, replaced by a chilling numbness that spread rapidly throughout his body. A few seconds after it started, he found that he couldn’t move. His senses dulled, putting him in a state similar to sleep, though the paralysis locked his joints and muscles in place, preventing him from collapsing.

In the other room, Miri sensed her father’s consciousness slipping away. The abruptness of it frightened her. Turning to the shadow man, she pointed to the door and asked, “What’s going on in there now?”

Last edited:

The shadow man sighed at Miri's stubbornness. Why did children have to be so difficult?! "Fine, forget I asked." He replied. Of course, the shadow man was also somewhat stubborn, so two could play at that game.

Back in the room, Slip felt Bithia grab his arm and move it towards her mouth. He didn't even try to stop her, or even resist. They had said that she was a memory vampire, right? Maybe she would be able to remove his memories, remove his pain. Maybe then it would finally all be over...

But then suddenly, Nimdok managed to barely stop it from happening, grabbing and pushing Slip's arm away from Bithia.

“Slip, I strongly suggest you finish, Don’t forget that she’s been programmed. She can’t truly make any decisions on her own, not until you get rid of it, all of it!”

Slip looked at Nimdok, blankly, still in shock from going into Bithia's mind and memories. He slowly started to come back to reality. Slip blinked. "I... Sorry, I don't know what came over me. I... I'll finish the job." Slip said, now intent on finishing what he started, and freeing Bithia from her robotic prison.

Nimdok and Bithia talked back and forth for a minute, and Slip struggled to keep up with the conversation, still trying to pull himself back together from his trip down Bithia's mind. Nimdok pleaded with Bithia, and Bithia replied in saying that she didn't have enough energy to reboot. When Nimdok asked how much, Bithia had said a month's worth. A month?! A month was quite a lot in terms of memory wise. Slip was going to protest, but then suddenly, Nimdok turned to Slip.

“Slip, whatever happens, finish what you started.”

Slip nodded to Nimdok, then watched as Bithia took his hand and bit down. Nimdok froze, not moving, or falling. Now was Slip's chance. He pressed a few more buttons on the datapad, then unstrung the last security protocol. Pressing down on a button, he sent Bithia into a reboot to accept the changes and t update her firmware. Finally, it was complete.

Slip crashed down into a seat, exhausted from what just happened. Honestly, Red should pay him for all the work he did for Red and his stuff.

Back with Miri, the shadow man just stood around, watching Miri play her game. Then, suddenly, both Miri and the shadow man could feel that something had happened in the room.

“What’s going on in there now?”

The shadow man looked at her. "I am... not sure. I think they've finished up. I'd say it's safe to enter now." The shadow man told her, and then he promptly entered the room, letting Miri enter if she wished.

The past month, in Nimdok’s memory, didn’t amount to much. He spent most of his time in the apartment or the museum, keeping a daily routine of sending Miri off to school, reading and studying his small collection of artifacts. Especially the lightsabers he had obtained on Coruscant recently…

Bithia released her hold on him. Carefully, she eased his paralyzed body onto the rug, for the exhausted Slip had already taken the cleared-off armchair for himself. Then, remembering the programming needle, she reached behind her head and slowly eased it out of the back of her neck, staring at it.

Though Slip had fixed her programming, she didn’t trust herself to be around Nimdok and Miri. Not as long as she was still trapped inside this body that Messala had made. Though she wanted more than anything to be with them, it was too dangerous. She couldn’t bring herself to take any risks with what freedom she had obtained.

“Daddy?”

The sound of Miri’s voice made her freeze. Her fingers closed around the needle, her other hand still resting on Nimdok’s shoulder. She turned to find the doorway open, and her daughter standing there in a darling school uniform, her dark hair spilling down her back. Bithia gazed at the child’s face for several seconds, utterly speechless.

“Is he sick?” Miri pressed, taking a few steps forward into the living room.

“No, little gem,” Bithia replied softly. “He’ll be alright. It only lasts for a few minutes, and then he’ll wake up.”

Miri’s gaze darted from her father’s supine body to Bithia’s face. “Mommy?”

Should she tell her the truth? Would Miri believe her? Was it even a good idea—was it even right to tell her who she really was, given what she intended to do?

Bithia opened her mouth to speak, hesitated, then replied, “My name is Lydia. I’m a friend of your father’s. I only look like your mother sometimes.” With that, she made her decision, though it tore her up inside. It wouldn’t be fair to Miri, to tell her her mother had returned only to leave her again. “I seem strange to you, don’t I? You can’t sense my presence, can’t feel my emotions or hear my thoughts. That’s because I’m immune to the Force. Partially, anyway. But it’s okay. I’m a friend, and I’m here to help you.”

“To help with Daddy’s work?” Miri asked, her brow furrowed in confusion.

“I’m not sure. I’ll have to ask him when he wakes up.”

Still a little cautious, Miri approached them and knelt down next to her father. Bithia’s hand moved from his shoulder to his wrist, hiding the bite marks from view. She held out the programming needle to Slip. “I assume you want this back. And thank you.” The words didn’t seem good enough to properly express her gratitude toward the green-haired boy.

After Slip had taken the needle, Bithia stood up. She didn’t know what to do or where to go from here. Might as well start with collecting her hidden caches of weapons, armor, and other tools, she supposed. But after that, who knew? She had incredible abilities and resources at her disposal. The IDs, passports, and citizenship papers she carried with her would allow her to travel throughout the galaxy, regardless of faction territory. She could go anywhere, do anything, be anyone but herself.

Could she work to defeat Messala, in her own way?

It seemed like an ideal choice. He didn’t know she had been freed from his programming, and was no longer under any obligation to follow his orders. She could use that to her advantage. At the same time, Messala knew all her weaknesses. He could perhaps even exorcise her soul from this body if she moved against him. After all, he was the one who had put her there in the first place. She’d have to be very careful with how she proceeded…

Nimdok was beginning to wake up. His whole body twitched in a momentary spasm of movement, then he opened his eyes, blinking as he emerged from the fog of paralysis. Groaning, he rubbed his face. “What happened? Where am I?”

“In your apartment,” Bithia answered. “You saved me.”

As she spoke, Miri flung herself into Nimdok’s lap, clutching him tightly. Nimdok wrapped his arms protectively around the girl, then looked at Bithia with a furrowed brow. “Did you...?” His eyes darted from her to Slip.

“It worked, as far as I can tell,” she said. “But I’d want to be completely sure before I go making any plans for the future.”

“You’re not sure? How can you be made sure?”

She shrugged. “I can’t. So I guess I can’t stay here. Besides, I’d only disrupt the life you two have built.”

“Why did you pass out?” Miri asked suddenly. “She said you weren’t sick, and that she needed to talk to you when you woke up.”

Nimdok’s eyes searched her face, guessing what this meant. “Miri, I need to talk to her in private,” he said, disentangling himself from the girl. “Uh, Slip—thanks. You can go ahead and tell Red everything is fine here.”

Standing up, he led Bithia into the bedroom and shut the door. “Does Miri know?”

Bithia shook her head. “I’m not going to tell her, and I suggest you don’t either. Like I said, I don’t intend to stay here.”

His face flushed, Nimdok ran a hand through his hair. “Look, the thing with Elise Ike, that’s not me. It’s Arimanes. I mean, she’s a vampiress, and a former Sith Lord—definitely not my thing, but who am I to tell him what to do with his body?...”

“Nim—” Bithia tried to interrupt, but Nimdok wasn’t done wringing himself out.

“I want you to stay. Really, I do. I’ve missed you so badly, and I’m happy to see you again, even if it’s under lousy circumstances.”

Seeing her look away and shake her head, he took a step toward her and clasped her shoulders. She didn’t react to his touch. He gave her shoulders a squeeze, then sighed. “I’d kiss you if I thought it’d make a difference.”

“I couldn’t feel it,” she murmured.

Still, he pulled her into his arms. “I love you, Bithia. Please.”

Knowing that he could feel it, she returned the embrace. “I love you too. But it has to be tough love for now.” Pulling away from him, she added, “Think about it. Messala’s brought us all together. Why?”

“I thought he sent you in order to get to me,” Nimdok said. “To gain my trust, however strange it sounds.”

“That’s probably part of it. But he could’ve just as easily created a copy of Elise Ike, or someone else that you already trust. Sending me just looks suspicious, unless he’s got something else in mind.”

“Like what?”

“I’m not sure.” She crossed her arms over her chest, deep in thought. “But whatever it is, it can’t be good. Someone needs to stop him.”

“Inanna has been trying to do just that for the past year, without much luck. She hired Red to help, but he’s apparently gone missing.” He spread his hands. “I’m at a loss. Just trying to keep Miri safe is difficult enough. I have a plan for that, though.”

“Oooh, a plan?” She raised an eyebrow. “Better not tell me anything. Messala might have me bugged. Or he’s somehow reading my thoughts as we speak.”

The pained look on his face made her wish she hadn’t said anything. “I’m so sorry, Bithia,” he whispered.

“It’s not your fault. None of it is your fault,” she reassured him. “It was all just a stroke of bad luck that we got caught up in this.”

“It was all Arimanes’ fault,” he growled. “If he hadn’t stolen my identity in the first place—”

“He’s done some good with it,” Bithia interrupted gently. “And I’m sure he’ll do plenty good with it yet. Pointing fingers and laying blame isn’t going to help with anything.” Cupping his face in her hands, she leaned forward and kissed him. “I have some money, if you need it. Otherwise…” She kissed him again. “... I’m going to need a ship of my own.”

“I, uh, I’ve been meaning to get a personal ship, too,” he mumbled dreamily. “Only, all the nice ones are too expensive—”

She kissed him a third time, the longest yet. When she pulled away, it was to blurt out, “Oh, by the way—in the past month, you estimated the date of that Forcesaber to be around ten thousand years old, most likely constructed by a Force Hound. Darth Simi was a Zabrak Sith Priestess who killed children and consumed their Force energies to extend her lifespan… and Miri keeps dropping hints that she wants a bottle of perfume for Life Day.”

“Well, she can’t have one. She’s not old enough.”

“Oh, come on, babe. Like mother, like daughter.” She started to lean in again, only to halt mere inches away from his lips, leaving him in anticipation. “Maybe I will stay here for a little while. A few days, at least. Enough time to prepare, get my affairs in order...”

“A few days,” he echoed, shivering. “Funny you should mention that… I’ve felt like something was going to happen for a while now. I still do.”

“You feel like something’s gonna happen? As in, through the Force?”

“Mmmhmmm,” he rumbled against her neck. “Arimanes can feel it, anyway. He thinks it has something to do with Inanna… like she’s in trouble…”

“I see.” She rolled her eyes. “Is this just a ploy to get me to stay?”

“No. He’s really worried about her. Keeps having visions of her in pain…” He raised his head and sighed. “We’re probably going to have to rescue her from the Sith. Would you like to come?”

“Sure.” She adjusted the strap of her dress. “We should probably explain a few things to Miri, and make sure Slip got out okay.”

Hand in hand, they walked out the door together.

/end thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom