Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Approved Tech Heart Implant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Image Source:
Intent: To push one of Sakura's projects forward with one of its new implants
Development Thread: if needed

• Resurgence - Cynna and Morse venture into the rift to recover Sasori products stolen and find the human boit research base after fighting Nargons. Note: Not an official dev thread but citation of where the information comes from
  • Goemon - Heart development and transplant
Manufacturer: Sakura Welfare
Model: Heart biot
Affiliation: Private Market
Modularity: N/A
Production: Limited (PC players only)
Material:

• Heart Biot
Strengths:
  • Stronger cardio-vascular tissue that increases maximum heartrate to safely allow larger adrenaline flow without the risk of stroke or heart attack
Weaknesses:
  • Requires a high level of physical health
  • Vulnerable to Baffor Pollen
  • Chance of Rejection and Failure
  • Intense physical strain on a body leads to users only being capable of using two other biots
Description: Designed by Sakura using the knowledge of the human biot project from the rift, the Sakura heart is a step above their artificial heart in that it is a natural organ that would be able to work in people. The tissue is stronger and made better to be able to handle stress at higher levels. The increased flow of adrenaline allows for better performance from the implanted users while the reduced risk of stroke or a heart attack is a benefit while in the field or a high demand profession. The common risks of organ failure or rejection are there and it is recommended that recipients continue to take their anti rejection meds to prevent it. The demands of the operation also require a high level of physical health as with most of Sakura's implants. Some of the benefits of them however is with the hearts and organs growable transplanting organs to sick patients means they have virtually no list of patients in need of organs.
Primary Source:

RESEARCH REVIEW
-----
Star Wars Canon:
Pending initial review
------
Starwars Chaos:
Pending initial review
------
WITHOUT DEV THREADS
Pending initial review
------
WITH DEV THREADS
Pending Initial review
------
SUGGESTIONS
Pending Inital review

the human body is a marvelously complex system that is highly interdependent. As general advice for these recent submissions of yours, I'd recommend thinking about how changing one part of the body affects the other parts of the body.

Cathbodua said:
Stronger cardio-vascular tissue that increases maximum heartrate to safely allow larger adrenaline flow without the risk of stroke or heart attack
The cardiovascular system comprises more than just the heart, but just as importantly the veins, arteries, and capillaries. I'd think about how a stronger heart is going to effect them. For example, the heart may be able to handle a cardiac output, but in doing so may cause systemic pressure that could cause vessels to burst or cause debilitating electrolyte shifts as the capillaries become more permeable.

I'd also think about how this would interact with the lungs. If blood is moving faster through the body, your red blood cells are going to have less time to exchange carbon dioxide for oxygen, and vice versa. This could actually lead to decreased tissue perfusion, and consequently lowered physical performance. If we wanted to get even deeper, CO2 retention would eventually lead to respiratory acidosis.

I would recommend focusing the submission's intent to making a more resilient heart that is capable of withstanding a wider variety of physiological stresses, but one that does not improve physical performance. Alternatively, I'd suggest making this a part of something larger that would involve the cardiovascular and respiratory systems.

[member="Gir Quee"] the other parts are being worked on it is just well one at a time seemed proper instead of one sub only with replacement organs. Blood, nerves, heart, lung, kidney, pancreas, liver, bones, muscles, cornea are all getting something in the coming submissions.

Given that premise, please change the production level to "Limited (PC characters only)".

I'd okay with this at mass production if it was a simple organ replacement, but this appears to be enhancement.

Extensive human augmentation is pretty rare in Star Wars, partially because of the expense (for example, it costs 150,000 credits to buy and install a AJ^6 cyborg construct), and partially because of the augmentation's unintended effects on the person. Cybernetic enhancements cause a variety of mental health issues in Cracken's Rebel Field Guide depending on the enhancement, and the more enhancements they receive, the more unstable they become.

In addition, because there are concerns that this sort of technology could be used to stack a player character into being almost superhuman, I'd like to see something in the submission that states that this can only be used with two other implants/biots. I'd personally recommend pairing this with submissions dealing with the blood vessels and the lungs. This can be rationalized In-character by the complexity of altering so many different parts of the body. The more things you change, the harder it becomes to make it work with the rest of what is a very delicately balanced system.

Cathbodua said:
Intense physical strain on a body leads to recommendations of only using with two other biots
Perhaps this is a little picky, but I can see someone wiggling around with a "recommendation" later on, even though I don't think that's your intent.

I'd recommend something like "Intense physical strain on a body leads to users only being capable of using two other biots".

[member="Gir Quee"] edited and well it is a doctors warning on the label/paperwork, can't control people ignoring it. Drinking/smoking while pregnant is a simple example of ignoring doctors recommendations and warnings.

[member="Cathbodua"] [member="Gir Quee"] [member="Cira"]

Going to approve this, but if any other components are denied, I'll be pulling this and requiring that you include a response to the question about the entire cardiovascular system being strengthened somehow to be able to handle the increased strain from the artificial heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom