Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having an exotic muse?

Hey look, it's the guy who randomly rolls in every now and then to raise one of his issues and see what all the other fine folk think.

So, after being on Chaos for a reasonable amount of time I realized I have a more "exotic" muse for writing, so to speak. Falling more so into niches that aren't widely supported or I simply cannot seem to actually scratch. And I'm curious if there are other writers who've ever encountered this same issue of an all but unreachable muse? Are there any particular ways you fixed it if so? Or is it a case of trying to find enjoyment in the more "generic" elements of things?

Oh sure, I have that issue, too, although my muse often revolves around specific professions instead. Accounting (this character), ergonomic assessment (Klesta), innkeeping (Varindar).

Also my dark-sider uses Memory Rub regularly, and typically have students learn Drain Knowledge by using it on her.

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
For an exotic tasting muse, I read a lot of old pulp scifi and I got lucky to find a fewother writers who know what I am referencing. If you want to keep your muse though see what kind of character you made and look for media relating to that type or inspiration.

​I totally understand where you're coming from.

​I write a niche of niches, a culture entirely alien to most human facets of life. For the longest time, I've found myself bored with human characters or even good/evil characters. So, I tried to find what excites me - doing something different and unique. A group composed of an entirely homebrew species is pretty hard to get traction.

​I've spent two years trying to work on this species to make it 'shine' and its only been a very recent period of time that it has begun to. You really have to do some self discovery, I've found. its just a mixture of hard work and luck that makes something work.

Find something that pushes you that extra mile. Surround yourself with individuals that are likeminded and that you can enjoy a mutual respect with and it becomes even more enjoyable. Niches are difficult, but have their own benefits as they drawn in people who have that same passion you do.

​On the note of enjoying 'generic elements' what makes a niche or something alien/different interesting is how they interact with what could be considered generic things, and by combining those things you make them unique through your own writing and nothing is generic anymore.

​Got to stop myself from rambling. That's just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom