Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hang Ten

two-surfers-sunset-photo-27976-441967.jpg
Makai sat back on his board, watching the still ocean water turn into a blood orange color. The setting sun was coloring the water with its hues, the sky looking as if someone lit it on fire. A small wave came and bobbed him slowly up and down with its passing. Iced azure eyes searched the sea for a sign of life, a wave yet to come. He would have to paddle out a little further in order to get something actually worth surfing. He was content to sit and watch others for the moment, his driftwood colored curls matted down on his head, looking more like a sleek aquatic creature.

"Uncle" Hutch had brought him out surfing for a bit of bonding or something.[member="Dirks Hutchinson"] had a new bachelor pad out on the Ceto beaches, naturally sitting near some of the best surfing the planet had to offer. Makai hadn't seen the man in awhile. Uncle Hutch had been out in the Silver Sanctum territory working for Salacia. He could understood how work drug the man away, he and Dad always seemed to get caught in some warp when visiting the salvage sites.

Off in the slight distance a wave picked up and he watched Uncle Hutch zoom towards the shore, expertly riding the surf in the golden light. He did pretty good, for a non half-Galan anyways.

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
It had been a while since Dirks had spent any quality time with his good buddy's son, [member="Makai Dashiell"]. "Uncle Hutch", as [member="Judah Dashiell"]'s Security Chief was affectionately called by the fam, had been trying to take most of the long trips concerning Salacia business for his boss since the passing of [member="Thessa Kai"]; his wife. This was the first time the Rendili had been back on Ceta in a few months, and "Squirt" had grown. The young Galan hybrid was hardly a tadpole anymore. He would soon be a teenage boy… Hopefully Makai wouldn't be as bad as him at that coming of age.

Having his new bachelor pad right on Sobek's famous south beach made a surfing date a no brainer with his young, half-aquatic friend. Dirks grew up in a seaside town on Rendili. He practically learned how to surf before walking. It was his favorite sport, well next to…chasing skirts. So far the waves had been decent, though they usually were better. When another set started to come in, Hutch readied himself and paddled hard to catch a big one.

dear-john-01.jpg

He rode it in with an expert flair the former military jock was noted for, then waited on the beach for his surfing companion to no doubt show him up; the setting orange-yellow fireball on the horizon a beautiful backdrop. It was the same with his father when they were competing for his mother's attention back in the day. Gods Thee would be missed…

Eyes tracked [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] as he caught a wave, rushing towards shore only to turn and look at him when finished. Uncle Hutch was waiting for him to drag himself to shore on the next available wave. Belly hit the board as he paddled out onto the orange tinged sea, pushing himself further out into the ocean. Feeling he was far enough out to catch something large, Makai bobbed in the water as a few waves passed....finally spotting one he wanted to tackle swelling in the distance.

He swam forward on the board to catch enough momentum, standing as he was propelled by the wave. Makai wasn't in the mood for fancy tricks or trying to show off, instead merely cutting across the wave by a slight bend of his knees.

It didn't take long for the wave to end and Makai to crash out in the water, taking a moment to resurface and grab his board on the short trip to shore. Uncle Hutch was already waiting for him as he slowly drug himself from the water, rivlets running down his scaled form.

A shake of his curly head, water droplets sprayed all over the man. An impish smirk as he looked over his Uncle.

"Not bad for not being a fish." A long pause. "Did Mom teach you a lot? Surfing. Or did you already know?"

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
"Whoa there, kiddo!" Hutch exclaimed, turning his head and closing his eyes while putting his hands up in defense as the half-Galan shook his wet curly mop. "Are you sure you're not half dog there, Squirt? I think you need a hair cut as you are one shaggy dude," he laughed while wiping the fresh water spray off his face.

With the lack luster surfing, the long pause, then the tenor of the question to follow, Dirks could tell [member="Makai Dashiell"] was still having a tough time working through his mom's passing. Hell, he was having a tough time. It must be ten-fold for the kid. And with his dad grieving too along with his grandparents as well, the boy was probably struggling to talk about the varied emotions he was feeling. The Rendili had never lost a loved one before (Well there was Dell, and now Thee, but they weren't his family family... or were they? Okay, pretty damn close if Hutch was honest with himself, maybe even more so in certain ways.) just comrades and buddies the former military jock had served with.

The dark-haired "Uncle" picked up a small, wet wooden stick that had washed up and fiddled with it in his hand for a moment, then gave it a good toss back into the foamy surf going out from the shore. If Barker was with them, Hutch's mangy dog would have swam out into the water to retrieve it. He loved playing fetch.

"Your mom? Naw, I already was a beach bum by the time I met her, but she did show me the wonders of the sea and diving. In a galaxy far far away, well it seems like it was time wise when we both served together in the Starfigher Corps, our squadron was stationed temporarily on Dac for a few months. Your mom and I dove on some of the cool ship wreaks there. Pretty neat stuff… I got some trinkets from that adventure. I can show you, if you want, after we go back up to the condo and get something to eat," he offered, pushing up from the sand and grabbing his surf board that had been laying next to him.

Laughter quickly quieted when [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] mentioned his Mom. Sandy feet toed at a seashell, flicking the white and gray colored shell towards the tide. There was a bit of uncertainty of what he waned to do. Hearing about his Mom was always interesting, especially when it was stories concerning her youth. Part of him was torn and another part of him didn't want explore the gaping hole left by her death.

A small shrug of his shoulders when his gaze finally looked back to his Uncle.

"I...I don't know. Whatever you want." Makai struggled with his words suddenly. "Dad built a house on Dac. Started before Mom.......She never told me she went there and dove in the wrecks."

"My friends.....Zak and Theo....we dove in the reefs on Dac. Surfed too...."

Feeling awkward, Makai went silent, trying to quiet his rambling as he picked up his board as well. Tucking it under one arm, he slowly started back to his Uncle's place, feeling unsure of himself all of the sudden.

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
Dirks didn't want to pressure [member="Makai Dashiell"] if he wasn't ready or even wanted to see the stuff. It probably was more for him anyways… a selfish thing; remembering the good times with the beautiful Galan before life got real and choices were made that had consequences, which changed their destinies. But funny how things work out… Hutch was here as "Uncle" to Judah and Thessa's son, and he wasn't complaining one bit. It had worked out for the best in the long run for everyone involved.

"I knew your dad had a place there, but never been to it…" Dirks said as he walked up towards the bottom level of the beach condo where he lived. "Sounds like you and your friends had a blast," he commented, then leaned his surf board up against the retainment wall and stepped under a shower head to rinse off the salt water from the ocean and any sand.

Putting in a security code on the wall panel, the door to the lower level opened, then the dark-haired Rendili walked into the rec room where there was a small gym and a work area to wax and and build surf boards. After placing his in one of the open racks, he grabbed two beach towels and tossed one to the Galan hybrid.

"So how about we rustle something up to eat. I've got makings for burgers or stir fry I think, then we can play a game on my brand new console? It came with the latest sniper game that seems to be taking the galaxy by storm."

Makai followed slightly behind [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] as they walked back to his new place. Since it wasn't even off the beach, the pair didn't have far to walk as they headed to the bachelor pad. As Uncle Hutch was showering off, Makai placed his board on the lanai, leaning it carefully against the house. He didn't see any need to bring his board in since it wasn't staying at Uncle Hutch's place.

"We had a good time." Makai had went before his Mom passed. He was fairly certain she didn't want him to go but they had been tailed by security the entire time despite being in a remote area of Dac. The boys had camped on the beach and surfed day in and out for a stretch of several days. "I have only been back with my friend Ellie since."

Toweling off his shaggy hair once inside, he gave a brief nod. Makai was used to helping cook. Dad would always say Mom didn't become a good cook until he was a few years old. Still, Dad seemed to take charge when he was home, probably because it was habit well before he was born. Makai had always wanted to help, which had led to some advanced kitchen skills compared to boys of the same age.

"I can help...I know how to do stuff around the kitchen.."

Makai briefly wondered how Uncle Hutch got his hands on the latest game. It was already sold out in some places.

"Sounds fun. I don't have that one.....Dad probably wouldn't get it for me anyways. Just means I'll have to visit you more Uncle Hutch."

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
"Ha! Well it can be our little secret then. Uncles and nephews get to have a few, right?" the dark-haired Rendili winked conspiratorially, then motioned for the kid to follow him up the stairs to the second level of the beach front condo.

Dirks truly did care for [member="Judah Dashiell"] and [member="Thessa Kai"]'s son. [member="Makai Dashiell"] was a great mix of his two friends, and well he'd do what ever to be there for him as the half-Galan grew up, especially now that his mom wasn't there anymore and his dad was so busy with work. It took a village to raise a child. Well grandparents, uncles, and close friends were a part of that said village for Makai, so that included the beach bum too.

"So let's barbecue some burgers up, hmm… Pretty easy, then we can get a game or two in before your old man picks you up," Hutch grinned at the top step, then he strolled into the gourmet kitchen that was on the back half of the condo.

"How about you ready the condiments while I get the grill going out on the deck… There should be all the mixings in the crisper drawer in the cooling unit. Oh and help yourself to a fizz pop. Why don't you grab one for me too… I'll be right back," he said, then walked out the sliding glass door to the outside where there was a Grillmaster's battle ground on the wraparound deck along with an outdoor eating area.

After the grill was prepped and the coals readied, Dirks came back inside to get the raw nerf ready for prime time to be turned into the perfect burger patties.

"So Squirt… You out of school for the hot season, or you homeschooling now?" Hutch asked curiously.

It also made him wonder what [member="Norah Kitts-Castillon"] was up to at the Voss Academy as he'd not heard from Dell's daughter in a long time. The maverick had messed up with the young girl and it still sat bad with him. But that is what one gets when a confirmed bachelor takes on being a father by himself. Dirks was surprised Little Red stuck around as long as she did with him. So like her mother...

"Sounds good, especially since the game is supposed to be our secret."

Condiments to Makai meant cutting up some things. Tomatoes. An onion. Iced azure eyes flicked around the kitchen before he experimentally opened a few drawers to find a knife. Knife found, he rummaged around for the items he wanted to find, a bit surprised Uncle Hutch actually had some fresh fruits and vegetables. Maybe it meant the man was going to be around for more than a week or so this time.

Fizz pop found it way on the counter and Makai opened his to take a sip before starting his task. Tomato went in one hand the knife in his left. Driftwood brows knit in concentration, the same intense look [member="Thessa Kai"] used to sport plastered all over his face. It took a moment for [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] 's words to register, to break through his concentration.

"Sort of both.." Makai cut another slice of tomato. "I do school on the datapad when I'm out with Dad. A lot of kids do." Another slice, the same look of concentration. "The main school is closed but I am taking the classes I missed on datapad to catch up."

After his mothers death/disappearance Makai had went on a long sabbatical with his Dad on Dac, causing him to miss a great deal of school. Being out for the 'hot season' on Ceto gave him some time to play catch up for the new school year. Much of his time was still spent surfing and being a kid though.

"How long are you going to be here?"

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
"Well that's cool you can do that, I mean make up those missed classes at your own pace," Hutch nodded in passing as he walked by with the plate of meat on the way out to the barbecue.

With the sliding glass door left open to the deck, Dirks could still hear what [member="Makai Dashiell"] was saying. It was a valid question. He hoped longer than the last time. But who knew what his dad had in store for him. The salvager was as shaker and a mover nowadays, more so than ever before. The man was throwing himself into work probably to get his mind off his broken heart. The Rendili had kinda done the same thing after his break up with Calise and Norah running off to Voss, but Judah's was a whole new level higher than his by a long shot.

"I'm hoping long enough to whip your butt solidly over and over in that new game, Squirt, and get a few more good surfing days in too," Hutch grinned, then he slapped the burgers onto the hot grill before going back inside.

"So how about you… Got any hot dates coming up?" the beach bum inquired with a playful waggle of his dark eyebrows while opening his fizz pop.

A suspicious glance was tossed in [member="Dirks Hutchinson"]'s direction. Makai wasn't sure if that was a real answer. It sounded like his Uncle Hutch would be seen for a few days before disappearing again for months on end. He could understand the work to a point. Perhaps Uncle Hutch was running from something too. It would be rude to ask. If the man wanted to share, he would share.

"So...you're saying its going to take awhile for you to learn the controls and how to beat me? I guess Dad is right, you are getting old"

A cheeky grin before a frown came to his face at the mention of 'hot dates'.

"No....Do you? I mean....Of course you do."

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
"Who's old?! Pfft… I own those controls, kid. And I'll own you too as soon as we eat," Hutch quipped matter of fact, then walked back out onto the deck to flip the big, fat juicy burgers cooking on the grill.

Yes, the Rendili was getting older, though he was by no means old… Definitely no need for those little blue pills that was for sure. The ladies man had never needed any help in that department, though at the moment Dirks was taking a break from chasing skirts as the security chief was reevaluating exactly what he wanted in life right now. Having a family is what Dirks thought he wanted, but now having gotten pretty damn close the confirmed bachelor wasn't so sure it was for him.

"Of course… A girl in every port," Hutch winked back all cocky like, then put cheese slices on top of the nearly done burgers. After giving the cheese a moment to melt, he put the fully cooked burger patties on a plate and brought them back inside.

"So I hear you and your dad are going to be calling Dac home here soon. Ceto won't be the same without you guys, but I totally understand… Isn't that Danger lady set up there as well?"

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

[member="Dirks Hutchinson"]

"Yeah, you may have bought the controller but you certainly don't own it." Makai grinned back as he finished setting the table, pulling out the condiments they would need along with his cut up onions and tomatoes. He didn't do a half-bad job either.

"A girl in every port huh? Do they have a fan page set up somewhere to track your movements? Share the most dreamiest holoimages?"

"Yeah....we're moving to Dac when I'm done with my school year. Dad says he won't sell the house here, so I'll be around to visit. Besides, you're never here. The girls in other ports would be lonely if you stayed in one spot for too long."

"No, Miss Arceneau doesn't live on Dac. She came to visit us for awhile though. Why? Do you know her too?"

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
"Oh… I never thought of that. Guess I better check into that, huh?" Hutch laughed deeply. He really didn't have a girl in every port, but the Rendili did know a few very nice ladies throughout the galaxy to call on when on their planet. No, Dirks wouldn't be settling down again… Well at least for a very long time.

"Nice job by the way with all the fix ins," the dark haired older beach bum complimented as he joined the young half-Galan at the table and began building his masterpiece. "I think I might have to come up with a more mature nickname for you, Squirt. You're getting all grown up on me too fast."

With that said, Dirks took a sip of his fizz pop and tried not to think how old that made him.

"Nope, never had the pleasure. I was just curious is all. I've heard you and your dad mention Miss Arceneau's name more often than not… and not just in a business sense either," he winked, then took a bite into his burger.

"Something up there?"

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

"Yeah, don't want any fights breaking out." Makai smirked at his own comment about Uncle Hutch's lady friends. Tomato went on top of his burger, along with a generous helping of various saucy condiments. By the time he was able to put the top bun on, it was oozing down the sides.

"I don't care. People still call me Tadpole. It won't change the fact you're getting old Uncle Hutch."

Makai was thoroughly teasing [member="Dirks Hutchinson"] every chance he got. The pair didn't get to meet up often and he was trying to get it all in on one concentrated block. It was payback for his 'Uncle' not being around often often. Sauce dripped onto his hand as he ate, listening to the concerns about [member="Danger Arceneau"] .He played back some events in his head, thinking.

Dad and Miss Arceneau were close, but were they something else? He didn't know. Maybe Miss Arceneau only liked him to be close to his Dad. Probably not....but it made him think.

"I don't know. No one tells me anything."

Alleycat

OCC Account - MTFBWYA
The Rendili slid a couple of napkins [member="Makai Dashiell"]'s way as the exuberant amount of liquify condiments were oozing all over the Galan hybrid's hands and face. Let's just say the tadpole wore his food well.

"I am not getting old.. just experienced."

Dirks dug into his burger as well, though with a little more style. The security chief hadn't realized just how hungry he was though. A home cooked meal even just a barbecued nerf burger was fantastic. Traveling often didn't allow him the luxury of such. Either auto chef meals or eating out, which got old after a while…and wasn't good for the waist line either.

"Well Squirt… My best advice is to stay young as long as you can. Adulthood is all kinds of messed up," Hutch said with a roll of his hazel brown eyes, then added. "And don't worry, no one ever tells me anything either… Why we have to stick together," he nodded with a wink, then took another big bite from his burger.

[member="Dirks Hutchinson"]

"Experienced?" Makai scoffed, his burger half gone. The half-Galan was every bit a growing boy and had the appetite to match. Napkin wiped off his mouth as he took another bite, thinking about his own dad getting older. "I'll remind Dad next time he complains, I guess."

"No one ever tells you anything 'cause you're not around to tell. That's okay, if you're not around you get in less trouble right?"

Burger was devoured, Makai sat debating if he wanted to eat a second. He probably had enough room in his stomach to....but maybe Uncle Hutch had some ice cream he needed to pace himself for.

"What does Dad got you doin' now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom