Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Half of What I Am

Sparring was one of Cora's favorite methods of training. Sparring with her Master was even better.

Saber handling came easily to the aristocratic Padawan, supported by her skill in fencing. Still, Valery always pushed her to her limits, always taught her something new, but never overwhelmingly so. Neither of them had wanted Cora to rest on her laurels.

Cora grunted, barely managing a two-handed block to meet Valery's swing. She'd returned from her family's Life Day celebration a week ago and found it difficult to get back into her old routine.

Probably ate too many sweets while I was home. It's made me lazy.

Something was off, that much Cora could feel. Valery wasn't pressing her as hard as usual, and Cora wasn't performing as well as she usually did. The Padawan was missing openings, reacting slowly, and all together unbalanced.

Cora pushed against her Master's blade, teeth gritting as she struggled to concentrate, struggled to pin down the flurry of thoughts distracting her focus. Using the force of her opponent's press in the saber lock, she allowed herself to stumble back several paces, putting some distance between herself and Valery.

The follow-up strike, a jab towards her midsection, should have been easy to read from Valery's body language. Intentionally so. Cora should have been able to dodge it easily, but she reacted too late. The tip of her saber caught the blade of burning purple plasma, but it wasn't enough. Master Noble's blade drove straight through, knocked just far enough off course to save Cora from a nasty saber burn.

"Oof-"

Sent sprawling, Cora landed to the ground on her bottom. Her saber had rolled from her grasp, but she was busy wincing at the impact.

Her jaw tensed in frustration. A youngling could have seen that coming.

Valery Noble Valery Noble

Oops.png

Sleheyron
div-orange.png
Appearance: Link
Weapons:
Lightsaber
Tag: Corazona von Ascania Corazona von Ascania

"What's wrong, Cora?"

Valery was fairly direct with her question but her tone was caring, and her gaze showed that she was genuinely worried. Naturally, Valery was a Master who put her students through countless hours of lightsaber drills and combat training — it's probably what excited them all the most about being her Padawan, to begin with. But through that training, she had gotten a very good idea of what Cora could handle.

Today, they had trained far below that level.

It wasn't that Valery was upset about that because, during their spar, she felt that something lingered deeper inside. An internal conflict all too familiar to her, but she couldn't quite figure out what caused it.

"You've felt very different today. You haven't been focused, you're slower and sloppier than usual, and..." she decided to stop listing the obvious, crouched down, and placed a hand on the young woman's shoulder. "You know, no matter what happens, you can always tell me if something is bothering you or if you're not feeling like yourself for some reason. It stays between us and I'll never do anything that betrays your trust." It was one promise that she'd never break with anybody. Whether they were friends, Padawans, family, or even just Jedi she barely knew.

She was always there for people who needed her, especially for her Padawans.

"If you need help, I will do anything for you."

From her makeshift seat on the ground, Cora looked up to Valery. A shade of pink dusted her cheeks when the teenager realized that she wasn't as good at hiding her emotions as she'd thought. Master Noble was astute too, able to easily sense the shift in her Padawan's demeanor.

There was a difference between having an off day, and the trouble that weighed on Cora's mind.

The comforting hand at her shoulder caused her to swallow thickly. Cora still wasn't entirely used to physical touch. A steadying breath swelled her chest, then passed her lips. She forced a smile.

"I'm just finding it a little difficult to get back into the swing of things after Life Day. I'm afraid that I perhaps overindulged during the celebration at home."

Cora chuckled shortly, then grasped Valery's hand as she rose to her feet. Bending at the waist, she bowed to the elder Jedi.

"I apologize for my poor performance, Master Noble." Hesitation creased the edge of her tone, and for a moment Cora was taken back to her father's study. She blinked away the intrusive thought. "I will spend my free time practicing to make up deficit."

Straightening, she stepped away from Valery and reached towards her water bottle which had been stashed away on the sidelines. With her back to her Master, Cora lifted the collar of her tunic and used it to wipe the sweat from her brow. The action lifted the hem of her shirt, revealing a glance of the dark bruises that bloomed across the pale skin of her lower back.

Tilting her head, Cora took a long drink.

What is wrong with me?

Oops.png

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery could feel that Cora wasn't telling her everything.

It was apparent in the forced smile, her body language, and especially the emotional shifts deeper within the young woman. Something had happened to her during her time away from Coruscant, and one way or another, Valery was going to find out what exactly it was. But she knew better than to be overly confrontational — she wanted Cora to feel comfortable talking to her, so the best way to address the situation was to ease into it.

"I think it might be better to use that free time for some extra rest, Cora," Valery said with a soft smile. As strict as she was with training and making sure her Padawans did what they were asked to do, she also recognized when it was time to rest. She didn't always allow herself that rest time, but she made sure her Padawans did.

After pulling Cora to her feet moments later, Valery turned away to collect her towel and water bottle. But when she looked back over her shoulder at Cora, her eyes drifted down quickly. Seeing the bruises, Valery's breath hitched, her eyes widened and a mixture of shock and anger traveled through her body like a tidal wave.

Now she understood.

"Cora..." Valery began with a tone that couldn't entirely hide just how shocked she was. These bruises were no battle scars, and they certainly hadn't happened during their training together either. "Your back... who did this?" Valery stepped closer but refrained from getting in her Padawan's personal space for now and looked at the young woman with a caring and protective tough to her eyes.

Whoever did this was going to be in serious trouble.

"Please, tell me what happened so I can help."

A shift occurred. Valery's concern had been understandable, but a roll of surprised anger disturbed the air around them. It was just the two of them, no distant chatter or vague presence of someone else to diffuse things.

Back still turned to her Master, Cora choked on her water. Her cheeks flushed furiously, and she thumped her chest with a fist to dislodge the liquid in her lungs. Shame radiated from the Padawan, slumping her normally perfect posture. The bruises were in a certain place for a reason.

They were meant to be hidden.

After a moment to collect herself, Cora straightened. Despite feeling vulnerable, that well practiced, refined smile returned.

"It's…nothing that you need to be concerned about, Master Noble. Really."

Her tone was careful, gentle enough to not be rude but certainly defensive. As kind as she was, Valery was still an authority figure within the NJO, and even more than that to Cora. The Jedi Master was an inspiration, a role model.

A look of hesitation shifted Cora's gaze to the side, not exactly willing to divulge more, but obedient to a fault. She found courage in a deep breath, hoping that Valery would not judge her too harshly for her misdeed.

Valery would have been aware that House Ascania had the great honor of hosting Ukatis' annual Life Day ball, given how eagerly Cora spoke of it before her departure.

"I behaved poorly during the Life Day celebration, and my father sought to discipline my foolishness."

Cora was aware that the type of discipline doled out by Viscount Ascania was not the norm for some families. For her, it was what she knew.

A hand came to rub awkwardly behind her head. "And now I'm not up to par with my Jedi training. He is correct; I need to be more focused."

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Nothing to be concerned about? Cora..." Valery frowned and looked her Padawan in the eyes almost as if she was looking at her own daughter. There was nothing but pain and deep regret that she hadn't been able to see this before and do something about it. She was Cora's Master, which meant that it was her responsibility to not only teach, but also protect her. Right now, she felt that she had failed her Padawan.

"Of course, I'm concerned when you're hurt. You're very important to me, you know that right?" She stepped just a little closer to search for that connection with the young woman.

In reality, she just wanted to hug her, find out who did it, and make sure it never happens again. But this situation was far too complex for such 'simple' solutions, so she stayed back and offered Cora the space she needed to confide in her Master about what was likely very embarrassing and immensely difficult to process.

When she finally did explain, Valery's fears were confirmed.

"No, Cora..." Valery began again, "Your father wasn't right. Your focus has been excellent since we started, and you did nothing wrong. Nothing ever justifies harming your own daughter." There was something more motherly about her tone again, but this time it was more intense. She tried to suppress it a little, but it was impossible for her to be entirely calm when someone hurt her Padawans or family.

"Please, let me help you. I won't do anything you don't want me to, but I want to make sure you're never hurt like this again."

As Valery spoke, Cora drew in a slow breath and held it. She couldn't ignore the genuine concern in her Master's tone, pervading though the Force and into her body language. Glassy blue eyes met the fiery orange gaze of the Jedi before her, and for a moment, Cora entertained the idea of crumbling right then and there.

There was something intensely comforting about the protection that Valery was offering, something she'd been denied from her own parents. She had no doubt that the woman was capable of shielding her from her father's hand, but to Cora that would necessitate turning her back on her family.

On her seven younger siblings. On her waif of a mother. On the legacy they'd worked so hard to build, to protect.

As complex as her own feelings were, Cora saw the choice in black and white.

Despite the overwhelming urge to throw herself into Valery's arms and sob through her troubles, Cora resisted. She exhaled through her nose, jaw tensing in defiant resolution.

"I respectfully disagree, Master. My father is well within his rights to discipline his family as he sees fit."

Cora struggled greatly to keep her voice even, to keep from breaking. A combination of blind obedience and a sheltered upbringing led her to see it this as normal. Normal for her, not for others.

"I'm…not sure that there's anything you can do, Master Noble."

Shoulders slumped awkwardly as she oscillated between feeling defensive and embarrassed.

"During the celebration, I was invited to dance with Prince Horace. I tripped into him, and he ended up crashing into a table. I wasn't careful, and I ended up making a grave mistake that…will reflect quite poorly on my family." Her cheeks burned while recalling the social faux pas, and she tried to swallow down her anxiety and shame. It bubbled up in the back of her throat like reflux.

"If… if I hadn't been so clumsy, this never would have happened! And you wouldn't have seen the bruises, which means that you wouldn't have to worry!"

Normally articulate and relatively composed, the young aristocrat's poise started to crack under the weight of her guilt. It was like a positive feedback loop; the more she allowed her emotions to break through, the quicker she spiraled.

"So…so just drop it already!"

Cora had never yelled at an authority figure in her life. Even as she snapped at Valery, fists clenched tightly and muscles tensed, there was a measure of regret in her eyes. She respected and revered her Master to the highest degree, and she wasn't mature enough approach this situation with fairness to Valery.

Tears spilled from her lash line, cutting small, burning paths down her heated cheeks.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery stood completely frozen when Cora resisted.

She could feel the conflict it sparked within the young woman but the feelings she had for her family prevailed despite the abuse she had to endure. Or at least, they seemed to. Now that she had a family of her own, Valery knew that they were bonds that couldn't easily be severed, even under extreme circumstances like this.

So as painful as it was to see Cora respond like this, she understood.

"There's always something that can be done. It's just never easy," Valery said softly before she allowed Cora to freely speak her mind. She didn't argue against any of it, she didn't get angry and there was no extreme emotional response. Valery remained calm despite the tight pain she felt in her chest. It was as if a hand had latched itself around her heart, and progressively tightened its grip.

"So…so just drop it already!"

Valery swallowed and silently stepped forward, now finally breaking the barrier she had raised for herself earlier. Her hand inched closer and if Cora allowed it, she'd gently wipe a tear away from her cheek. "Cora, I know how important family is," Valery began, her voice still gentle. "I understand that in your case, you feel a responsibility as well. To honor the family name and your people. But you can't live your life in fear, pain, and in involuntary service to others. Nobody has the right to force that on you." She let out a soft sigh and shifted her hand to Cora's shoulder.

"I won't force you to make any difficult decisions now, but I want you to remember this. That no matter what, I'll be here to help you and to protect you."

Last edited:
Amidst her shame and embarrassment, Cora found a new emotion swelling to the surface.

Anger.

Valery had responded to her disrespect with understanding and concern. Cora wasn't used to receiving such compassion from an authority figure,and it salted her already raw nerves. This...hadn't been written into her script.

She trembled as Valery's hand slid over the heat of her cheek, wiping away a tear. Each word was like a knife to the heart, but only because Cora found the truth in them. Years of mental gymnastics had Cora convinced that the treatment she received, that her way of life was both normal and relatively healthy. The resources to change things hadn't been available to her until now.

And now that they were, it was overwhelming. Change was terrifying, even if for the better. It was easier to uphold the status quo.

Cora sucked in a sharp breath when Valery's hand, warm and genuine, rested onto her shoulder. A mother's touch. A mother's words. A mother's concern.

A shudder wracked her body, and for a moment, Cora looked as if she were about to break.

...And she did, throwing her arms around Valery and wailing into her collar. An emotional tidal wave nearly swept her away as the tears flowed like an unsteady storm.

"Why…" She sobbed, gasping for air. "Why can't you just punish me and be done with it?"

"Why are you being nice to me?"

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

Valery was aware of every emotional shift — from deep sadness to embarrassment and even anger — but it didn't matter. Her Padawan was hurt and while the physical bruises were going to heal, she knew that the emotional scars her father caused would stay with her forever. Of everything that was said and revealed today, perhaps that was the only thing that did make her feel a flash of anger herself.

But this wasn't about her.

When her hand settled on Cora's shoulder, the barriers she had kept between herself and her Master finally broke. Two arms wrapped themselves around Valery, and she was quick to shift her own around Cora in response. Her chin lowered and while Cora cried, Valery just held her close. Her hands traced over her back, gently so it wouldn't hurt, and it was only when Cora felt ready to speak, that Valery did so herself.

"There's no reason to punish you for anything," Valery said softly as she pulled back a little and brought up a thumb to move some blonde locks out of Cora's face. "I care about you, and you deserve people being nice to you." She smiled warmly and gently placed a hand on her shoulder again.

"How do you feel about me meeting your father sometime? I can't allow you to keep getting hurt like this."

Valery had always treated her kindly. In their short time together, the Jedi Master had been nothing but understanding and encouraging.

So why was Cora trembling in her arms, overtaken by the strange sensation of being soothed yet terrified?

The Padawan's own mother had been largely absent in her life. It wasn't that the Viscountess didn't care for her children—she did—but her frail body and constant exhaustion limited the time she had to interact with Cora. They were both firmly under the patriarch's control, swiftly put in their place when they dared to step a toe out of line.

Cora was always grateful for her health in that regard. Despite her small frame, her body was taller, stronger than the waifish form of her mother. A secondary glance at her gaggle of younger siblings and she wondered, had mother always been so fragile?

It had been so long since she'd felt an inkling of anything maternal directed towards her. The hands at her back rubbing slow, gentle circles were enough to inspire a measure of warmth beneath her ribs.

"I care about you, and you deserve people being nice to you."

Lifting tear stained face, Cora regarded Valery with wide eyes. The blonde sniffled suddenly, doing her best to keep her lower lip from trembling.

"Y-you want to meet him?"

Cora looked torn. Father was a harsh man, set in his ways. Valery was more than capable of handling the Viscount by herself, but she still worried.

"I'm not sure if he'd take that conversation well. He'd…see it as a challenge. Things like this are meant to stay in the family."

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"I do want to meet him."

Both motherly protectiveness and her personal stubbornness were quite evident when she said it. Valery knew that it put Cora in a difficult position between her father and her Master, but she saw no other way to change this, so it had to be done. She'd do whatever she could to shield her Padawan, but she'd be a terrible Master if she allowed this to continue to any extent. No Padawan of hers was going to be abused.

"I also don't think he'd take it well, but I'm not going to let him turn his anger against you, Cora," Valery assured her with a frown. She had felt the emotional shifts again, and hoped to reassure her. Without Cora's assistance, it would be hard for her to find and meet her father, so she needed her to be on board.

"Will you please let me talk to him?" she then asked again. "You can be with me if that helps, but you can also stay with my husband while I visit your dad. He grew up in possibly the most difficult family in the Galaxy, so I think he can offer you some advice as well, and be a helping hand." Valery seemed to visibly brighten up a little talking about him, but now especially she really needed him.

"There's nobody in the Galaxy I trust more than him, and he will help you."

Cora watched Valery with watery eyes, a flush dusting the pale skin of her cheeks when a gentle hand came to brush some of the stray hairs from her face.

For a moment, she let herself enjoy being held like this. In Valery's arms, Cora felt safe and protected. Cared for. In the back of her mind, she knew that her own parents were not particularly affectionate, and the motherly warmth Valery showed her was almost enlightening in a sense.

The Padawan drew in a heavy breath to keep her voice from breaking, then scrubbed at her eyes with her hands in an attempt to clear them of any tears.

"If it is that important to you then...very well. I will arrange a meeting with him." Cora acquiesced, rolling her shoulders back. A meeting would be easy enough to procure; her father would likely assume that Master Noble wished to discuss his daughter's performance.

Head tilting to the side, Cora sighed heavily. Spilling her emotions had taken a lot out of her, but so had carrying them around all this time.

"Master Kahlil...is from a Sith family, correct?" Her words were careful here, probing for information but not too deeply.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"Thank you for placing your trust in me, Cora. I promise that I'll do my best for you," Valery assured her before she let the topic shift to her husband and his role in all of this. There was a very good reason she had brought him up, and Cora seemed to catch on to it pretty quickly too.

"He's the son of Carnifex, the former Sith Emperor," she said with a soft chuckle. "His past with the Sith and his father has been behind him for quite some time now, but even when we first got together, his father was the biggest threat to us both. During his youth... it really wasn't easy." She began to frown and the way she spoke made it seem as if she knew a lot more than just retold stories of his past.

"I've seen parts of it. Enough to know that very few understand difficult familial situations better than he does." His father had not just abused him, but even put alchemical marks on him. He had cloned his own children and used them as tools for his own personal gain.

In her opinion, no father could possibly be worse than him.

"But I don't want you to just talk to him because of his past. He's also a father himself and one of the better Jedi I've met. I know I'm probably a little biased, but I'm certain that you'll see it too. He's quite a pillar of support for anybody who needs him." There was almost a faint blush on her cheeks now, as she talked about him like this. Kahlil had always protected her when she needed it, and she knew he'd be there for Cora as well.

Cora sucked in a breath, giving Valery a tight nod and a muted, nervous smile. She trusted her Master, but things worked a certain way on Ukatis. The Padawan had no idea of the depth of Valery's experience, so she releted.

Her eyes widened to saucers at the mention of Carnifex. Even before joining the Jedi, Cora had heard endless stories of the fearsome Sith Emperor. She wasn't sure how many of them were true, but he'd served as a sort of boogeyman that mothers threatened their children with when they refused to sleep.

You'd best get to bed before Carnifex snatches you and gobbles you up!

She had an inkling that the tales she'd heard at home were a tad embellished.

"I can't even imagine what that must have been like." Her eyes turned to Valery, sympathetic now for what she and Kahlil must have gone through. Cora's own father may have been heavy handed, but certainly being the child of a Sith Emperor would have been far more painful.

Cora's head canted to the side, as if to get a better angle to see the flush on the taller woman's face and confirm that it was really there. Her lips quivered, trying to hold back a small smile.

"He was a big help to us on Xa Fel." She agreed, that trip having been the first time she'd met Kahlil Noble. He was as skilled and level headed as Valery, and the romantic in her had no doubt that he was a wonderful husband and father as well.

"Can I ask...how did you two meet?"

Her words were careful again, but an unmistakable thread of excitement ran through her tone.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"I can't even imagine what that must have been like."

Valery blinked, "Well, for me it got me stabbed through the gut once, and Kahlil had to fall to the Dark Side to confront his father and get an alchemical mark that could otherwise control him removed." She blinked again as she realized just how terrible it all sounded. They really had gone to hell and back, at least several times at this point.

But nothing would ever be enough to drive them apart.

"He has been a big help to a lot of people," Valery then said with a warm, loving smile. "I often get praise for my strength and leadership, but I wouldn't be half the Jedi I am now if it wasn't for him. I... often lean on him for support, and his Padawans do as well, and with how things are going now, I believe he'll be a crucial pillar of the entire Order." Perhaps she was a little biased, but every word was pure honesty from her perspective. Spoken with nothing but love and almost tangible affection for her husband.

At the topic of their first meeting, she chuckled and nodded. "Of course. We met not long after I got out of stasis. I managed to get myself a ship and traveled to New Cov because I wanted to find the remnants of my old Enclave for closure. So I could move forward in life. I met him there in the capital city, before going out into the jungles to find the Enclave."

"He wanted to learn more about being a Jedi and I was very happy to have some company..." she paused, bit her lip, and smirked faintly. "He had already caught my eye a little too, so I really wasn't complaining. But it was also one of the most difficult trips I've ever made. I found the ruins of what I once called home, and the realization that everybody I once knew was long gone really hit me hard. That's where he made a huge difference for me. The support he gave me back then helped me through it, and to this day, he has never stopped giving me that kind of support."

Her rosy cheeks returned a little as she thought about it all. How crazy their time together has been, but also just how amazing it all felt, and how incredible it still is today.

She felt lucky to have him in her life.

Cora observed Valery as she spoke of her husband, of their trials and triumphs. The mood had shifted between them, tension slowly unwinding. Cora was thoroughly distracted.

The Padawan was hanging on her Master's every word, entranced. It was like hearing a dramatic romance novel being read out loud, which happened to be one of Cora's guilty pleasures. Only this was real.

Her face ran through a gamut of expressions, from horror to appreciation to enchantment.

"W-wow that's…you were stabbed? And he confronted his father? And he did all of that for you…oh, how devoted!

Cora sighed dreamily, pressing her own hands to her blushing face as she practically swooned. Normally, her words were measured and careful, but now she was gushing like a proper teenage girl.

"He sounds like a wonderful, supportive man. I'm glad that you have eachother in your lives."

In the distant future, she too would be married. It was simply the way of her family, where arranged marriages were the norm. Often she'd imagined that her future husband would be dashing and romantic, but lately she'd been preoccupied from those thoughts for something more…realistic and present.

"Can I ask, um…when did you know that he was the one?"

Cora looked up to Valery, figuratively and now in the literal sense. Her wide blue eyes were owlishly large in wonder, complementing the flush of her cheeks.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

"This only scratches the surface. We've gone through so much these last few years together, but he has always given everything for me, and I'd like to think I offer him the same in return," Valery said with a very bright smile. She could tell that Cora was genuinely interested in hearing more about her time with Kahlil, and Valery could honestly and shamelessly ramble about it for hours. So her Padawan's encouragement sparked that excitement easily, and she began to go down memory lane all over again.

"He really is. I know it'll sound cheesy and obvious, but he really is perfect to me." She honestly didn't care how sappy it sounded, or what anybody thought of it. He had never once let her down, and while they could argue over silly little things, their bond was unique even beyond the Dyad.

If there was such a thing as a soulmate, she had found hers.

At Cora's next question, Valery grinned and seemed to instantly know, judging by the way her eyes lit up. "So, our first meeting was... passionate and we got really close, really fast. But I still wasn't doing very well, and I couldn't find my place in the Galaxy. So I decided to spend a long time alone, isolated at the Dawn Temple to center myself and figure things out. He not only respected that decision, but he waited for me."

"He turned down or ignored other women making advances, just waiting and maybe even hoping for me to come back because it wasn't a certainty. When I eventually did, and I found him in pretty bad shape, we just instantly connected again. That's when I knew that he was the one. I had never felt someone care about me that much, and I felt exactly the same way toward him."

At the mention of their first meeting being passionate, Cora's blush deepened and she averted her gaze momentarily. There were some parallels to a certain relationship in her own life there, and she figured that she could understand the feeling of Valery and Kahlil accelerating into one another.

That thought made her swallow thickly, but it didn't unfocus her from Valery's story.

"Oh, he waited for you? That's so romantic! He must have know that you were the one right away."

Still flushed, Cora idly twirled a blonde lock around her fingers. By now, the bruises had drifted from her mind and were replaced by a love story.

"You know, your story with Master Kahlil would make an excellent book. Or film, even!" Who doesn't love a good action-romance thriller?

"To have a connection like that…I can't imagine anything like it. See, I used to read these r-romance novels back at home," She admitted with a cheesy grin.

"But I didn't think that a relationship that strong existed!"

Granted, her own experience with the romantic side of things was…limited. Cora wondered what it was like to have someone care for you that deeply, to trust someone without fail.

NJO Temple
div-orange.png
Weapons:
Lightsaber

There was something really adorable but also recognizable about the way Cora blushed when she told her story. It reminded her of her own younger years when she couldn't even think about accepting her feelings and trying to let them become a reality. She could only sneakily read novels covering the more romantic aspects of life, and it created a deep longing for her.

One that was only satisfied when she met Kahlil.

"There was actually a short show about us," Valery said with a chuckle. "It focused more on my life as a Jedi, but the actor who portrayed Kahlil went the extra mile to learn about him to get him right. He wasn't really tall enough for the part, though," Valery said with a big grin.

A grin that widened very quickly when Cora mentioned her interest in romance novels.

"Really? You know, I used to get lost in them whenever I was alone in my room at night. Back when I was a Padawan about your age," she told Cora, hoping that she'd be more comfortable about sharing it if she knew that Valery was the same way. "But while much of what is written in those books is likely a little... too idealistic, you really can feel like you have that perfect connection with someone."

"I certainly feel that way, and I know that Kahlil feels exactly the same way about me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom