Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Had an Idea for an Event...

So I had an idea for an event (player run, mind you, not an official site event), that I wanted to see what the initial response would be. It'd be a while before it went live, depending on how much support and assistance I get cause there's...a few moving parts, shall we say.

So, I've been doing a lot of subs for Voph and his equipment, and during one of them (his mantle, specifically), it occured to me that under the circumstances this equipment could totally pass for "Legendary" gear (thousands of years old, belonged to an important historical figure, etc), and proceeded to get kinda sad about the rules change that forbids players from having true canon items, cause let's be real here, having Yoda's backscratcher is kinda cool.

So, here's the idea. Introduce the idea of legendary items that used to belong to player generated characters, be it NPCs or PCs that have since been killed off, died, retired, ETC. To obtain these items, I, or whoever else does the leg work to create them, would also create a story behind the original user/creator of this item, and would decide how the item enters the modern era, and create a puzzle or scavenger hunt around this idea. I'll figure out specifics if this gains enough traction to work it out, but basically the first person to figure out the clues and where the artifact item is hidden, and make an IC thread where they successfully claim the item, gets to claim their prize.

Now, the main reason I'm pitching this idea rather than just outright doing it (and the reason some of you are likely furiously clacking away to point out right now) is because without site staff authority I can't just sub up a bunch of god-tier stuff to pass off as legendary. Anyone could, the second this event goes live, just sub up something that's on par with these items and completely "invalidate" the whole thing. So, to my mind it would be interesting to have these artifacts that have survived the test of time, and are significant not because of how powerful they are, but because of the stories behind them.

But, what are your thoughts on this? Would people be interested in doing a galaxy wide scavenger hunt like this?

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Voph"] - 2 cents here. :p

One of the great things about Galactic Events is that most of the OP/God-Tier stuff doesn't make it past the ending of the thread. IE. Nobody gets to keep the cool stuff. Instead, it's yours for as long as the event is live and stays within the thread. This gives everybody the incentive to not only take part and shake history, but also that PvP isn't totally broken the moment the thread ends. Nobody keeps the "Superlaser God Space Station" or the "Ancient Staff of Magical Destruction". So while, yes. It kinda gives of that Dues Ex Machina feeling of, meh, nothing changes. It also doesn't break the game.

Now, switching gears here.

I'd like to mention too that one of the reason canon gear was finally overwritten is because people didn't actually use the stuff either. It just sort of got claimed, then thrown in a vault somewhere, and squatted upon. This eventually spawned thread like, "Hey so-and-so hasn't used that-cool-thing in months. Can I claim it and use it now?" ...Which spawned replies like, "Hey, I still own that and it's my right to squat it as long as I want, even if I'm inactive on this website, so kark off." ...Which spawned replies like, "Gay."

See where I'm going with this. So? While the idea of "Legendary" or "Canon" items seems shiny and pretty at first. It actually worked out to be more boring and broken than anything. People would rest all this time and intensity upon these "Special Snowflake" items and forget that PbP Roleplay is all about the writing. Not the "Looter-Shooter" aspect of grinding gear, farming achieve-ables, and resting their PvP laurels upon bragging rights and their "I'm OP" power levels.

Moral of the story?

Keep the God-Tier snowflake stuff inside the Event thread itself and aim to shake history. Let the horse's carrot be the exclusivity and camaraderie of the event itself. Not the broken loot you keep afterwards. :D

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]

I mean I feel like I kinda already said as much in that last paragraph. The rewards of the event wouldn't be anything special or OP, nor would I want them to be, they'd simply be tools with a unique twist that are special because of the history behind them. Like you say, the reward is not that you now have the magic beat stick of Darth Kark Off, the reward is that you were able to recover it, and in so doing forge whatever story along the way that could have a lasting impact on the character.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Voph said:
Now, the main reason I'm pitching this idea rather than just outright doing it (and the reason some of you are likely furiously clacking away to point out right now) is because without site staff authority I can't just sub up a bunch of god-tier stuff to pass off as legendary.
Let me be more specific then.

Talk to Staff. Then DO ET! :D :p

EDIT: So, after reading this thread: [Event] Soliciting Member Run Events, from March 2018. I guess that last advice was out of order. Plot and member backing first, Staff support second. Oops.

Thusly. Voph. Simply assume that Staff will let you use a "Cool Item" during the thread and pitch the community your idea in full. Then we can bandwagon and Staff will have no choice but to give you the green light for an Event. :D :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom