Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
Naboo-Theed
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Kurt stepped off of the small Transport ship, his expression about as neutral as it could possibly get.

His right hand was still in a bacta cast, a backpack was slung over his shoulder, and although his hair had a somewhat disheveled look about it his clothes were nicer than usual. The slight stubble decorating his face spoke of the fact that he hadn't shaved for a day or two, though given his hand that wasn't too much of a surprise. He paused for a moment at the bottom of the ship's ramp, trying to get his bearings.

This was the starport he usually came through when visiting Jamie, though he still didn't exactly know his way around.

Generally he landed in one of the off-hangar bays or closer to the central terminal, but this time his shuttle had come from Tatooine. The ship wasn't any sort of official transport, but rather the vessel of a merchant that made frequent trips between the two worlds. "Thanks again Berin."

Kurt said with a small wave.

"Appreciate the ride." The merchant popped his head out of the ship and shot Kurt a smile.

"No problem, I owe your dad more than one favor."

The courier let out a chuckle and offered the man another wave before heading. Once he popped out of the hangar bay he quickly found his way. He'd of course sent Jamie a message a week or so ago telling her that he'd be visiting. She'd been quite busy as of late and he figured that popping in by surprise wasn't a good idea, especially given the security that surrounded her now.

Still, after everything that had happened with Kaile he hadn't really wanted to stay on Tatooine. The situation had been rather bleak, and even surrounded by his mom and Dad Kurt had simply felt he'd needed to go.

He flexed his hand slightly as he hailed a taxi, intending to head to the Palace in hopes of being able to meet Jamie there. The trip was a short one, and before long Kurt found himself speaking to one of the Palace Guards. Luckily the man recognized him from his visit to the Festival, and within just a few minutes Kurt found himself standing in a small room sequestered deep in the palace.

His backpack had been deposited on a nearby chair, and Kurt himself stood holding and inspecting an odd sort of glass statuette in his cast covered hand.

She hadn’t intended to keep him waiting as long as she had. It had been over thirty minutes since the aide had informed Jamie of Kurt’s arrival. That, not including the time to ensure his identity, meant he had been waiting closer to an hour to see her. With due haste, she scurried off down the main hall, took several quick turns through a number of much smaller corridors, and through a series of double doors whereby two guards stood their posts at all times. This area of the palace was largely reserved for the royal family, and other high-profile visitors, ambassadors, and delegates that were to be seen in private, out of the eye of the public.

Dressed more casually than when she last saw Kurt at the festival, save for the pale makeup adorning her face and the deep maroon lip markings she reached for the ornate handle separating the two from one another. She hesitated, instead reaching for her pocket to find a small mirror. Flipping the case open the blonde quickly studied herself, adjusting a few strands of gold, and then promptly tucked the mirror back into her pocket before pulling on the heavy door.

It croaked with defiance, opening slowly to reveal the smaller room within, and Kurt just beyond the entryway. He was studying a small figurine atop a pedestal, with his back turned to her. At first she didn’t notice the hand cast, instead rushing towards him with exuberance.

“Kurt! I’m so sorry for keeping you waiting! I didn’t mean to!”

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Kurt practically jumped when he heard Jamie's voice resounding in the small room, fumbling slightly and nearly dropping the small glass statue as he caught sight of her rushing towards him.

He took on a slightly panicked expression for half a moment before he managed to put the statue down on the cabinet in front of him. It would have been awkward if he broke it, mostly because he absolutely didn't have the money to pay for a replacement. As soon as the small decoration was secure on the wooden panel his expression changed however, a small hint of joy entering his features for the first time in what seemed like weeks.

The Courier wrapped his arms around Jamie as soon as she took the final step towards him.

He carefully and smoothly ensured his cast didn't hit her too hard, instead softly coming to rest against the small of her back. "It's alright."

Kurt assured her as he kissed her cheek and planted his face in her hair. Arms tightened around her, and for a few moments The Courier simply took her in. He had waited so long to simply hold her, and after all that he'd been through it felt more right than anything he could have put into words. A small shiver ran up his spine, goosebumps rippling his flesh as he took in her scent. The smile on his face broadened, and he slowly pulled back to look at her.

As soon as his eyes caught hers every word on his tongue died, and instead of speaking he simply smiled and took her in.

“What happened to your hand?” Azure eyes lowered towards Kurt’s casted hand as the two separated a step away from one another. It didn’t appear too serious, but an injury was still an injury, and she was curious what kind of silly thing he had done this time. “I thought surveying was supposed to be a safe, uneventful job? How do you go injuring yourself?”

Taking his still good hand, Jamie led Kurt over towards the far end of the room, pushing open a pair of doors, behind which another room, larger than the one before looked out over the countryside towards the south. This was the last room of the south wing, standing tall over the stretching horizon. Though entirely out of view and obscured by sky reaching trees, her home stood in the distance.

On the terrace outside was a small glass top table, two plush chairs, and a small, modest sized bar with a number of offerings, mostly wine. This room, though tastefully decorated, was not Jamie’s own, but a secondary room for when she needed privacy, but away from the reach of her advisors.

Bypassing the table for the moment she stopped at the railing, a light breeze catching the free flowing golden hair of hers and tugging it gently to the side, partially obstructing her vision before carrying off on its path. “I’ve missed you.”

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

He smiled as she lead the way. "It happened on Bimmsaari."

Kurt had sent her a message about what had happened there, and everything afterward of course. It had been a few weeks ago now so the injury should have healed, but of course he'd made it worse when Kaile had told him about her plan to leave. In an act of complete stupidity he'd smashed his hand against the steering wheel of the speeder they'd been in, and that had re-broken the almost healed bones. It had been foolish, but logic rarely won over emotions.

As they stepped into the room Kurt took a slight breath, the fresh air felt good.

"I've missed you too." More than he could put into words. "A lot has happened in the last few weeks."

His fingers squeezed hers. To say that Kurt had been under a lot of stress was putting it mildly. Kaile's pregnancy had been one thing, but now? Now it was all worse. The suffering his friend had endured, seeing her falling apart, and then having her leave? It was unlike anything Kurt have ever experienced before.

Kurt gently pulled Jamie towards himself, holding her in another embrace for just a moment.

Sapphire eyes widened, “Your message! I forgot to answer you!” She’d seen it come through, but had been in the middle of an incredibly important security briefing regarding the last attack by suspected anti-gungan radicals that struck at the palace, albeit unsuccessfully. However that had drawn her attention given the loss of life of a small family in a district of Theed not far from the palace. “I’m so sorry! I—I was so caught up with things here, I just never had the opportunity before it escaped me.”

Her face reddened, this was precisely why she purposefully made sure to keep a schedule of to-dos. With everything she was responsible for, if she didn’t make note of every task she was liable to forget, and forget she did.

“I heard about the Empire’s attack, word of it reached Naboo not long after the fighting began. Terrible. I’ve just had so much on my own plate that I’ve not had a moment to gather myself. We’ve been overhauling our security measures and responses here, and working with the Alliance to secure the cease fire with the First Order. They’re…A strange people.”

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

"It's alright." He told her, though there was a bit of melancholy to his voice. "There wasn't really anything you could have done, it was just...well."

Kurt knew that she was busy, it had been something they'd talked about extensively when she first took on her new position. He hadn't liked it much then, but he couldn't really blame her, nor would he ever change it. She could do good from where she was, and Kurt understood that. It pained him slightly that they had less opportunity to talk, but he knew why and was still thankful for these small moments they had together.

"I want to hear all about what you've been doing, I really do." He said with a slight smile, but there was clearly something else.

He didn't want to do what he'd done last time, what had happened before that had caused their brief time apart. He had kept everything inside until he'd told her and everything. This was different of course, this wouldn't take them apart, but it was something that weighed heavily on Kurt.

"But I have to tell you something first." No secrets, nothing hidden. "I think I said it in the message but...we got caught up in the attack, Kaile got injured and lost the baby."

Kurt trailed off taking a deep breath. "Afterward, on Tatooine...she decided she couldn't...she didn't want to...she left. Went back to the Alliance, SIS."

For a second he just took a breath, then continued to speak.

"And." He started. "I gave her The Messa."

There. That was it. Everything that had happened to him over the last few weeks, everything that was weighing on him, everything he needed to get off his chest. He knew that Jamie wouldn't be mad at him, maybe a bit bewildered, but if anything she might even feel a bit of relief. Kurt had no idea what to think about that, but in truth all he wanted right now was to sit with her, listen to her speak, and then hold her for as long as he could.

Jamie's expression went empty, ocean blue eyes staring forward in silence. When she had first received Kurt's message, she hadn't quite put that Kaile had been hurt together with losing the baby. But as Kurt continued speaking her hand raised to her mouth, covering it in horror. A deep breath pulled in, eyes falling sullen. "Oh my gosh! That is terrible!" Kaile had been the center of she and Kurt's troubles in a way, but the blonde had never wished pain or anguish on Kaile in any way, and hearing what had happened to her, and then her subsequent decision to leave Kurt and everything else behind to rejoin the fight against the galaxy only made Jamie wish she had in some way been able to offer condolence.

Her position granted her some measure of leeway when it came to connections inside the Alliance's government, but to find out where Kaile had been assigned, or where she would be was likely going to be something out of grasp. It just wasn't something the Alliance would deem necessary for her to know. From what Kurt had spoken of, Kaile was a strong woman, determined and bold. "I sincerely hope she will be okay. That--" She shook her head, allowing loose strands of gold to flow across her cheeks.

"That is a terrible tragedy. I can't imagine her pain."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

He took a breath.

"I..." Kurt didn't know what to say. There was so much, so much that had happened, so much...he frowned for a moment and then suddenly just pulled her close. There was nothing else he could do, nothing else he could think to say. "I did my best."

The Courier said quietly. "I just...don't...it wasn't enough."

He blamed himself more than a little bit. There was nothing he really could have done, there was nothing he could have changed to make the outcome any different, but what was he supposed to do? His entire body shook as he held Jamie tightly, his fingers scrunching just a little bit.

"I didn't know where else to go." Kurt didn't want to put his burdens on her, not with how much she had on her plate already, but he loved her.

"I wanted to see you." He said quietly. "Be with you."

Take some small comfort in her arms.

Jamie gave pause for a long minute, unsure of how exactly to respond. She had been through a lot in her recent life, but this was a tragedy that even on the outside looking in for the most part, she was at a loss for words. Kaile had been a point of contention for some time, but Jamie had never wished misfortune on her. Now she just felt guilty for her past actions, even if at the time she felt justified in them. But how could she possibly hope to right a situation in which she had no authority or control over?

Her arms fell around Kurt's shoulders, cheek resting in the crook of his neck. "I'm so sorry."

What else was there to say? To do?

"I'm here. Just tell me what you need."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

The words were reassuring enough. The truth of the matter was Kurt wasn't looking for Jamie to give him some comforting words. He wasn't looking for her to give him some solution or to say something that would make everything better. He was just here to spend time with her.

He didn't care how they did it. He knew that she had to work and that he couldn't just monopolize her time, but for a little while at least he wanted to be with his girlfriend. He wanted to hear her speak, smell the scent of her hair, to hold her. That was it. That was all that he wanted right now. He held his arms around her gently, his fingers lacing onto her hips and his eyes closing as he took in a deep breath. He waited for a moment, standing there in the embrace. "I just need you."

Kurt said quietly.

She was, in a way, one of the few things he had left in this galaxy.

His mother and Father would go nowhere of course, and he still had a home, but Kaile was gone. He had given her The Messa and his job as a Courier had been lost months ago when he'd become a surveyor. There were few things in the galaxy that Kurt now actually had, and now more than ever he needed Jamie. After a moment he slowly pulled away, glancing at the chairs.

"Tell me how you've been." He said with a smile, maybe it was a distraction, but he just wanted to be with her.

The blonde nodded slowly, teeth momentarily biting into the corner of her lip. "Okay." Her voice broke, an uncertain and almost shaking tone at first, though when she repeated herself sounded much more confident.

"Okay." She cracked a small smile, "I've been well. Things here have kept me quite busy. Though you'll be happy to hear I haven't needed this in some time." The smile widened as she ran her fingers along the hilt of Rominaria, the sun-soaked lightsaber at her side. "But with things between the Alliance and the First Order seeming to be drawing near to blows once more, I've signed into order the construction of recon stations within the system, to dispense probes in neighboring space. There's not expectation of an attack, at least not here, but still, it keeps the people at ease knowing we have an early detection system."

Still, every time she thought of the First Order her mind raced back to the visage of Sieger Ren and Castor Ren, during her captivity. The words they exchanged. The way the men perceived the galaxy. It was chilling.

"Best we be prepared all the same."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

He was rather happy to hear that she hadn't needed to use her lightsaber lately, a small benefit of her being so busy. Kurt always worried that she'd get herself hurt or that she'd be thrust into some conflict, at least as Queen of Naboo she had an entire security team that surrounded her and protected her. It was a small comfort that Kurt was rather happy about. Not that he’d ever admit that to Jamie, lest she thought he didn't trust her to fight.

The mention of war however turned his stomach. It seemed like every corner of the galaxy was flipping back into some conflict, dragging down Into the pits of war all over again. A frown pulled at his lips, a question driving through his mind. Would Naboo be safe?

”Well that's good.” Forward thinking.

Early defense was a good thing when it came to war and battle. He knew Naboo had it's own defensive forces, though had no idea how they would stack up against The Empire or the First Order.

”What about everything else? Kurt asked her as he gently pulled her over to one of the nearby seats. ”How does being Queen fit to your liking?

He remembered she'd had reserves about it, but she seemed to be taking to it well.

"It's still bizarre, quite frankly. All these people looking up to someone half their age for reassurance, guidance, and critical decisions." Her finger and thumb pressed against her temple, massaging for a single breath before she looked back to Kurt with ocean blue eyes that seemed to sparkle against the warm rays of daylight. "I manage though. It's all one can do, I think, when in a position like this. I think to enjoy it would signify a kind of narcissism unbecoming of a leader."

That was why she carried the lightsaber to begin with, not because it gave her power, but because it gave her the power to protect her people.

"I've come to terms with the understanding that I will never be the Jedi who brings peace to the galaxy, but I firmly believe I can maintain the long standing peace here, at home."

The galaxy was such a large place, a place she still scarcely understood, even after all the years that had passed between her first meeting Aela to becoming Queen. Perhaps something would one day bring the races of the galaxy together, but for now, if she could simply continue making the people of Naboo happy, that would be enough.

It had to be.

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

He watched her as she spoke, nodding quietly in understanding.

Politics was something Kurt knew he'd never excel in. I'm fact he was pretty sure that he'd never really understand it either. Maneuvering people about, making deals, negotiating for a hundred different things all at once seemed entirely too complex for him. Jamie however seemed to be doing good at it. She didn't love it, but he could see that she was at least enjoying the results.

Peace on her homeworld.

Briefly he wondered how she would have done in the Republics Senate. The place had been a hot bed of contention and anger, but it seemed that whatever she put her mind to she could accomplish. At least that was how Kurt saw it. ”I'm proud of you.”

Kurt said as he leaned in and gently kissed the top of her head, pulling her gently back into an embrace.

Just as he did so his stomach quietly grumbled with hunger.

"I appreciate that." A nod followed. "It hasn't been easy. And everything going on with the alliance once more sparks the rumor mill and tensions begin to rise, even this far from the fighting."

Naboo was lucky in the sense that it had thus far been on the distant side of the Alliance war front. But each passing day the news of what could be spread. And though Jamie did not believe that the First Order would venture that far across the cosmos, it did not bear any comfort to know that the Empire was growing and posed a similar, if not slightly smaller threat than what the Supreme Leader had spoken of during her time as captive on Hoth.

"But for now everything is as it were. One day at a time is how we manage."

The blonde tilted her head, hearing Kurt's stomach. "Long trip?"

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

Concern flashed across his features. He could see the worry in Jamie's eyes when she spoke about the fighting she thought was coming. The First Order, The Empire, he wondered how long it would be before they struck out once more. The Empire already gained control over Tatooine, though they mostly left it alone. It was a small thing that he was thankful for, no one wanted a ball of dirt. Kurt frowned for a moment, then looked down at his stomach.

He placed a hand on the back of his head, running it through his hair. "Yeah, I haven't eaten in a bit."

Even when he'd been back on Tatooine in fact. His thought hadn't really been on food, and although his mother had made sure he didn't starve himself it was all she could do to actually get him to feed himself. The former Courier frowned for a moment, looking towards one of the chairs on the balcony.

"Maybe after you're done for the day..." Did Queen's even have an end to their work day? He supposed the job probably wasn't a regular nine to five sort of thing. "You'll let me take you out to dinner."

It was a bit early for that yet, but he figured Jamie still had some work to do. "I don't want to brag, but the last time I was here someone showed me around a little and I think I can find a pretty good place to eat."

"I'd like that."

It had been a while since she had gone out anywhere for a meal. Aside from her family's home that is. On occasion she still visited home, though much less so than she would have liked. Mariya was getting older now as well, a teenager even. She spent a lot of time at the palace now, the library mostly. Still, she and Jamie had begun seeing more of one another than Jamie would have imagined. Quite the opposite in fact, Jamie's expectation was that she and Mariya would hardly have time to have that sort of sisterly bond, in at least a similar manner that she had shared with Aela.

"I could use some time away from this place."

A light chime rang out on the datapad atop her desk, which the blonde quickly made her way to before picking up the device. "I have a few things to take care of, but perhaps I can meet you later this evening? You're welcome to hang around my room here in the palace if you want, though you certainly don't have to feel yourself a prisoner if you want to explore Theed while I work." She eyed him for a moment, remembering the first time he made himself comfortable in her bedroom. "Just stay out of my dresser if you do decide to stay."

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Kurt Meyer

Let Me Push That Button
[member="Jamie Pyne"]

A look of pure innocents flashed across his face.

"What interest would I possibly have in your dresser?" The tone of his voice made him sound as though he had no idea what she was actually talking about, though if she looked up at him at just the right time she'd see a brief smirk flash on his face. "I don't think any of your clothes would fit me."

He smiled and followed her to the desk, taking the extra measure not to look at anything there.

Kurt didn't want to make it look like he was snooping. Jamie was Queen, and that likely meant there were dozens of reports and statements that most people wouldn't want him viewing. The last thing that Kurt wanted to do was cause some sort of incident for her, and thus he kept his eyes up and on Jamie herself. His hands slowly sliding around her from behind. He placed a quick kiss on her cheek, squeezing her lightly before he continued to speak. "I'll leave my bag in your room if that's okay."

The former Courier thought he knew Naboo well enough by now.

"Then I'll spend the day looking for a place we can eat." Wandering around for a while couldn't hurt. "Then I can pick you up tonight."

The girl glared at him, "You know what I'm talking about, and it's certainly not about fitting."

She turned as he kissed her, repaying the gesture, though placed her finger against his lips to push him back away when she had finished. "So long as you don't cause any trouble in my bedroom, or in the city." He had a tendency to find his way into mishaps, whether it be his fault or not. That, and coupled with the last time someone she knew paid her a visit things hadn't gone so well. Thankfully this wasn't Spira, so there wouldn't be any predatory feral animals on the loose or anything, but that didn't mean there wasn't anything to look out for. Every city had some measure of crime, even if it were petty. Jamie didn't want Kurt getting caught up in anything. This visit needed to go better than the last, especially for his sake.

"I'll let you know when I am nearly finished so that we can meet, how's that?"

[member="Kurt Meyer"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom