Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Groaning steel, trinkets and baubles.

Alndys

Mercenary, Artist.
There'd been a few battles along the outer rim lately. Force users, blasters, people fighting for liberty or justice or conquest or whatever the flavor of the week might be. The intentions behind the battle changed as often as the flagship model of a Hekler'Kok carbine, and Alna cared about as much about either. Wars were exhausting, good people died or became terrible people, and resources were squandered in the pursuit of flying flags over some transient bit of space that nobody cared about. No, thank you. The only virtue to be had in a war was in that they tended to make a huge mess, and those messes were little troves of treasure waiting to be snapped up.

Every wreck a story. Sonnets in blaster-scorched durasteel, epics penned across the pocked face of a free-floating bulkhead, and crashing crescendos to be read from overdrawn batteries and shattered hyperdrives. And the best part of it all was, when you were done with it? You could sell the pieces off to somebody else for a tidy profit.

Alna's tired old Pathfinder wove deftly through a cloud of shrapnel and garbage, her shields managing to send off the larger chunks before they hit anything valuable. The old ship wasn't happy, to be sure - never was - but she'd managed the engines long enough that they were more familiar to her than the back of her hands. The bits and stuff was only an obstacle; at the heart of the debris cloud lay the blasted-apart ruin of some massive capital ship, possibly from the recent fight over Utapau - but maybe older. Along her starboard side, the ship had been pierced by what looked like a Mandalorian cruiser. The pointed vessel had speared the larger ship in the belly, spilling the guts of the stately old dreadnaught like a harpoon in a purrgil.

Which led to the second most interesting part of this literal mess. The engines on that cruiser were still firing, albeit at a ponderous sublight speed. They'd carried the capital ship some distance, judging by the debris trail that had led her to the scene. Alna reflected that, perhaps, the cruiser had come upon the jet-black ship by unhappy accident and collided in a mundane fashion. It was entirely possible that it had been the desperate last strike of some ancient battle. She briefly wondered if they'd beat the impossible, incomprehensible odds and somehow collided in hyperspace - and wouldn't that be a find? Not that anyone would believe such an absurd tale.

The Pathfinder's feet made contact with the hull of the captial ship, near the breach in her hull, and a low humm confirmed that the maglocks had fired up properly. With haste that betrayed how eager she was, Alna Merrill pulled her suit on, strapped on a belt of tools, and grabbed a slightly bent crobar she kept by the cargo hatch. Airlocks hissed, warning lights came on, and in short order, she was out in the black once again. Svivren floating far below her, with her single cruel sun ever further away, and the gigantic wall of a city-sized ship providing ample horizon for a single salvager looking to make a quick buck in neutral space.

[member="Alna Merrill"]

From a certain point of view, Mara could appreciate all the things she'd lost in the past year or so. The Force? Deeply overrated. Fortunes? Better off without them. A private war? Abandoned, and not remotely soon enough. Her ship? Well, no, losing the ship was just plain sad, but she'd needed the money and used it well. And sure, she'd picked up new scars on Utapau and Coruscant, but Hylo liked them well enough.

No, the only loss she really regretted was a chunk of her soul. She'd killed a prisoner of war -- a Mando shapeshifter -- and framed the Sith for it, trying to keep the Mandalorian Empire from following up on Utapau. Nobody knew, just her co-conspirator, not even Dad. Mom knew, though. Mom always knew. Lorrdian-raised or not, empath or not, Mara never could hide her feelings from her mother.

The ship parts business was doing well, so was her brand-new marriage to her oldest friend, and all manner of traumas and sins were in the rearview for now. What better time to get back to basics with a salvage op, reconnect with family, get some good components, and maybe even snag herself a better ship?

Her rickety shuttle slid up beside the derelict, and Mara floated out.

"Hi, Mom. Mind if I jump your claim a little?"

The young man was grateful for all things he had. A wife who knew that every time he compared her brown eyes to soil he meant he loved her, a father in law that was accepting despite his lack of technical knowledge... although he was attempting to broaden his horizons in that regard, and of course for the wealth he had from his various farming and medical enterprises along with partial ownership in a fashion company.

Hylo knew what he was, an accessory to Mara, and that made him happy as any married man could be. Even happier then rolling around in rich soil, something his wife never really understood by his estimation. Then again, she is meat. And Hylo loved her. Loved her enough to be reading through a pile of technical schematics and manuals.

It was tough going and often dull but he was learning. Although not as interested in his latest botanical endeavors, a hyper efficient oxygen providing plant, they were something he was determined to learn in order to better help Mara with her components company.

But today was different, even special. Today Hylo was meeting Mara's mother. Hylo hardly floated along next to his wife sheepishly peering around from behind her and waving meekly in the general direction of his mother in law. Damian had told him horror stories about mothers in laws. "Hi," he said, his voice cracking. Well at least he didn't grow a flower. That would have been truly embarrassing.

[member="Alna Merrill"] [member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"]

Alndys

Mercenary, Artist.
Wreck this size? Two, two dozen, even two hundred of Mara wouldn't have made any impact on Alna's claim - not that she would have denied her daughter if it would've. Odd though it might be to see her out here, she wasn't going to look that gift in the mouth. "Plenty to go around, Mara." Alna's voice crackled cheerfully through the static. The proximity to her maglocks was playing merry havoc on the radio. "Can't think of anyone I'd rather rip this beast apart with." Save Jorus, maybe, but Mara was also wonderful company.

And she'd brought company. A willowy whip of a man with a green voice and a familiar, odd set to his movements. Even in space, he had a slightly boneless quality that tickled the back of her memory somehow. As much as Alna questioned her own memory failing to provide the detail of who this fellow was, she questioned how very nervous he looked. Nerves? Hands. Ah. Alna surmised that only the dangers of the void were keeping the man from holding Mara's hand, and that would likely be the ulterior motive at play. Interesting.

Not her type, honestly. But Mara's tastes were her own, and always had been. Alna smiled sweetly, and knowing that it'd be hard to pick up through the bulk of a space suit, added an extra bump to her hips and a non-threatening slant to her shoulders to better convey how jovial she felt. "Now, I think I know that voice!" Alndys mused aloud. "Hylocerus, as I live - you've grown like a weed!" The salvager realized, laughing aloud. "I hardly recognized you!" Not that Alna had much room to talk - she and Jorus had shaved off about two-thirds of their age not too long ago, and when she'd last met Hylo in the parlor of a Sith investor, Alna had been about half a foot taller and much closer to the shade of premium engine oil. Odd, where life had taken her.

[member="Hylocereus"] [member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"]

@Hylocereus @Alna Merrill

The life of a space nomad didn't allow for much in the way of connection. Relationships, family and otherwise, took more work when you lacked real roots. When an opportunity came along -- a familiar telesponder on the comscan, for example -- you took it, or you let bonds fade away into the ether. And letting go was always going to be easier.

"You think he grows like a weed, you should-"

She closed her mouth, tweaked the space suit's maneuvering jets, and drifted toward the derelict. Her mag-boots clung just fine: good.

"Excellent. Last ship I salvaged had a titanium hull, couldn't get a maglock worth crap. Good old durasteel."

She hadn't brought a cutter; that wasn't the kind of salvage she was after. A ship like this had a fortune in circuitry near the surface, some of it toasted, some of it not. She looped her multitool's lanyard around her wrist so it wouldn't drift off, and started unbolting panels.

Hylo wrinkled his nose suddenly excited that Alna had remembered him. "Yes Ma'am," Hylo said a giant smile forming on his face as he moved about with in his spacesuit. The jets took him over to the ships hull where he placed his feet firmly against it bending his knees to lessen the impact. With a press of a button his feet clamped in good order next to Mara. "It's been awhile since we've last met."

As his wife talked to her mother his face grew a little green as chlorophyll rushed to his head. "Mara," he said in a whisper as she began to cut into the salvage vessel looking for... well salvage. He examined the area and assumed she was after energy conduit relays or else the circuits related to the shield that might be here. Referring back to his manuals mentally would have only taken a moment but there was something far more important on his mind. "Have you not told her yet? I almost called her mom...."

[member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"] [member="Alna Merrill"]

Alndys

Mercenary, Artist.
With a hearty laugh, Alna buried the tip of her crobar into a pressure gap formed in the hull. As far as she was concerned, Mara must be pretty satisfied with the turn her life had taken if she was cracking ribald jokes so casually - the girl had the same sort of driven, serious streak to her that her father did, after all. Not to say that Jorus was humorless, far from it. But his jokes were a great deal like his work, utilized efficiently and where they'd have the most impact, rather than bandied about at a whim in hopes of getting a result.

Grinning, the neo-ginger took a half-step to lock her left boot to the hull, and landed a solid kick on her bar with the other. It loosened the panel just a little bit more, and the second hit was enough to spring the durasteel free of a few stressed rivets. "Oh, there's something to be said for the classics, alright." Alndys chuckled merrily, retrieving her tool before it could spin off into the black. "On a ship this size? Using anything but durasteel is just asking for your accountants to have a seizure. Cheap metal never goes out of style." As though Mara didn't already know that.

Dropping to a crouch, Alndys clipped her crobar to her belt and withdrew a few diagnostic tools. She set a tap to an external power conduit to test for auxiliary power, which was nominal enough to present no threat. The fluctuations suggested some major short somewhere inside the shiip - meaning that retrieving any paydata from the mainframe would likely be a waste of time. "Never figured you one to get your hands dirty, Hylo!" Alna chirped, tap-tapping away on a datapad. "If you need any tips, I'm full of 'em - but it might be more fun to learn from Mara. Hear she's got a flair for instruction."

[member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"][member="Hylocereus"]

[member="Alna Merrill"] // [member="Hylocereus"] // [member="Mara Merrill-Valkner"]​

Salvage was the ultimate form of recycling, wasn’t it? It was to take all these resources that just floated around in space to be forgotten and repurpose them into something else. Some people went for the hardware, some people went for the hulls, but once you stripped a ship what more was there to it if not the raw materials themselves? Amea had found contract work under a company that specialized not in the retrieval of ship components or tech but rather the materials that made the ship the metallic container that it was.

Durasteel was cheap to make, but that didn’t mean there wasn’t a market for reused durasteel. Some collectors went absolutely nuts knowing they had a kitchen knife made from the same steel that once housed ancient Sith Lords or Jedi in their space travels while some others simply did it out of environmental concerns. The moral concern there being that it was a horrible waste to simply leave all the materials out there in space, floating for all eternity when the materials used were made by exploiting the surface of one planet or the other.

Granted, the moral choice really wasn’t as popular as the materialistic and vain one, but the thought still mattered. Amea was here to not really salvage the piece herself but rather to speed up the process for those that would. She was a scout of sorts to prospect the ship and report back for a tiny (but certainly not tidy) paycheck that varied depending on the work they imagined she had put in. More often than not, it would most likely end up being ‘incomplete’ since it made the paycheck far smaller for the work that Amea did, but she could live with that. There were always more fish in the sea so to speak.

So her magboots locked onto the surface of the ship, but something didn’t feel quite right. The weightlessness of space was something she was used to, yet that weird feeling in her stomach seemed to be present as if she wasn’t alone here. The beacon in her hand shimmered from the light that emitted from her flashlight. She hadn’t put anything down yet to mark the ship. Something held her back as if she knew that she wasn’t supposed to just yet.

It would either be a mistake or a great move then. Her hand moved to activate an open channel on the comms. A hesitant breath calling out into the ether before the simplest of questions broadcast for anyone in range to hear.

“Anyone out there?” The subtle drawl of Amea Virou seemingly echoed through the nothingness of space. “I get the distinct feelin’ I ain’t alone here. Just wanted to make sure I ain’t disturbin' anyone’s claim before I get myself to work. So, if anyone is out there, now would be a good time to tell me so.”

[member="Hylocereus"] [member="Alna Merrill"] [member="Amea Virou"]

"I mean, I told her we got married and all - but I still wouldn't call her Mom. Well, actually..." The panel popped free, revealing beautiful undamaged components. Mara repositioned herself and switched out multitool configs so she could tease circuit boards free of their mounts. "...know what, she'd probably live."

She switched back to the public channel. "Hylo loves getting his hands dirty, long as it's real dirt. He's been studying hard, though - I think he owns more ship manuals than I do. Definitely teachable."

A new voice crackled over the subspace comm, drawling, female, a little tentative.

"Yeah, there's a couple crews of us, but there's plenty for all. I'm just pickin' circuit boards over here." Never hurt to oversell your numbers. Staked claims could get vicious once in a while, out here between the stars where there wasn't a law to be seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom