Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Denied Grand Captain Kyros

Status
Not open for further replies.
e6pZQQy.jpg

Name: Cei Kyros
Loyalties: Merchant Fleet, Galactic Alliance
Role: Grand Captain (self-styled), Legitimate Businessman, Civilian head of the GA Merchant Fleet, reformed crime lord and smuggler with a heart of gold
Species: Duros

Force Sensitivity: Non-Force User
Weapon of Choice: Wits, Planning, Bodyguards, and if all else fails an almost inconvenient amount of concealed holdout blasters.

Skills: Not even possessing much in the way of an education, Kyros nonetheless has a keen natural intelligence and insight as well as a shrewd mind for numbers insofar as they relate to profit. Cei fought his way from the bottom to the top on his wits, decent reflexes with a blaster, and an uncanny amount of luck.

Wealth: Once possessing a fortune large enough to buy a small moon for himself, Kyros lost the vast majority of his finances when his former partners double crossed him for standing by his principles and left him for dead. Deciding to go (fairly) legitimate after the betrayal, Cei has nonetheless reacquired a modest amount of wealth due to the finders' fee he takes when setting up jobs for freelancers as well as a decent salary consulting with the Alliance concerning trade logistics. Kyros also runs his own side business owning a small fleet of bulk transports and freighters that work directly for him full time.

Appearance: For all his efforts to go straight, Kyros still can't help but play the part of the dashing rogue to an almost theatrical degree. Never found anywhere without his wide brimmed hat, Cei wears age beyond his years in his face but not in his expressions, which are just as vibrant and prone to rapid changes as in his youth.

Personality: The Grand Captain is exactly as eccentric as you'd expect for someone in his position, and his comfort with working on the edges and sometimes even outside the law earn him few friends or allies within the Alliance bureaucracy. But as he has gotten older more and more Cei has had the annoying urge to do the right thing, to a point, leading him to his current position as the main contact and organizer for the Merchant Fleet. An ardent supporter of self-governance and of the belief that Sith are generally bad for business, Kyros believes in the Alliance as much as someone like him can believe in anything, and if his time in their employ earns him more credits then all the better.

Combat Function: Still physically fit with keen aim and good reflexes on the draw, Kyros would nonetheless not be much of a match for even a nominally well trained Force User. The Grand Captain's strengths, however, lie in being cunning enough not to end up in such a desperate situation, or at the very least enter it with the deck stacked in his favor.

+ Magnetic Personality
+ Cunning
- Too Much of a Heart
- Self-Destructive
- Starting to Lose It

Notable Possessions: Interceptor-class frigate The Idiot's Array, Kyros Shipping Consortium

History:

On the edges of Alliance space, Grand Captain Cei Kyros is sometimes known as the 'fourth member of the triumvirate'. Apart from being grammatically troublesome, its not exactly true, but still the de facto leader and civilian representative of the Merchant Fleet possesses an amount of influence within the hierarchy of the Federation leadership that would surprise most people. While since the liberation of Coruscant and the relative stability that followed the Alliance has grown in territory and infrastructure, becoming less reliant on independent traders and other freelancers to keep their supply lines intact, the self-styled Grand Captain has gone to great lengths to ensure that the people of the Galactic Federation do not forget the contributions of the Fleet during the war, and due to popular support the merchants enjoy an ongoing relationship with the Defense Force offering freelance contracts on the edge of Alliance territorial expansion, helping to secure and strengthen recently established trade routes and taking on other odd jobs, under Cei's leadership the Merchant Fleet has been known as a place to come to find semi-legitimate work without being asked too many questions.

Born of humble beginnings on the impoverished decks of Bburru Station in orbit over Duro, Cei was a relatively well behaved young kid before as a teenager his fascination with gambling got him pulled down into the underworld without much of a say in the matter. Caught attempting to card shark some connected locals, Cei's smooth tongue managed to convince them to allow him to work off the debt instead of getting his bones broken, and soon found himself hopelessly involved in organized crime. Despite his distaste for the darker, seedier side of the life, with no other options the young duros found himself naturally gifted at making credits. Earning enough favor to stick to racketeering, trafficking, and theft, he maintained a dislike for narcotics, the species trade, and other particularly destructive ventures and activities. When he had risen high enough in the organization, he worked to eradicate those aspects of the business, and under his leadership the enterprise expanded through much of the Duro stations and to several other worlds in nearby systems.

When they grew large enough, Cei's organization caught the attention of the Exchange, and when Kyros was reluctant about the deal they offered his partners betrayed him, robbing him of his wealth and arranging to have him killed. Shaken by the experience and also more or less free of his debt for the first time since his youth, Cei vowed to try and go straight, just as soon as he borrowed a freighter indefinitely. Taking jobs for the Merchant Fleet in the early days of the Galactic Alliance, eventually he earned enough to purchase his own Action VI transport which he modified into an Interceptor-class frigate. Working his way into the trust of the Defense Force, he then began saving his earnings and taking out some entirely legitimate loans to invest with other pilots he knew and trusted from his more unscrupulous past and form a small transport company, more a flotilla of semi-retired smugglers than anything else.

Although there is no official leader, with his connections throughout both the underworld and in the Defense Force, these days Kyros spends most of his time talent scouting for the Merchant Fleet when they are looking to put together specific jobs. Having proved himself as relatively trustworthy when it comes to finding the right people by the Alliance, and with a respectable enough reputation in the fringe community to provide guaranteed, if occasionally somewhat hazardous, honest paying work (most of the time), Kyros is certainly one of the most well known members of the fleet, and has one of the longest standing relationships of working closely with the GADF.

Intent: To serve as the NPC leader and mission giver for the Galactic Alliance Merchant Fleet.

Development Threads: If necessary.

Greetings, [member="Zark"]. Hope you don't mind being stuck with me for your review! Let's see what we have here...

Most of it looks good - my only concern is that you mentions he controls a 'small fleet' of ships. Is this related to a company or organisation submitted to the Codex? Just strikes me as possible that such an NPC could call on a fleet for battle purposes (supporting the GA in combat, for example) if push came to shove - and we're a little wary of NPC fleets!

Little confused by his personality: he's amoralistic, but has a 'thoroughly annoying urge to do the right thing'? They seem a little at odds with each other.
That's literally all I picked up on my first read-through, which is impressive all by itself. Looks like a pretty well-put-together piece of work. Nice job!

[member="Tirdarius"]

Controls is a strong term, he's helped a few other smugglers and ex-smugglers with investments in new ships and as a result gets a cut of the profits they make by continuing to find them new work. If necessary, I could do a quick write up in the company section of the codex for a small registered shipping company, or perhaps as a SoroSuub subsidiary, but these are bulk freighters and other lightly or unarmed transports. I'd say the Interceptor-class frigate he owns himself would be one of the hardest hitting/impressive type of ships, and a combat force multiplier was pretty much the last thing on my mind when writing it up. The intention was only to give him a sort of crew of smuggler underlings and a reason for the flamboyant title, as well as some NPC fluff for the Merchant Fleet, but let me know if there is any way I could tweak the language that might be more favorable to the ruleset.

As far as his personality type, you're right it was a little confusing. I meant "amoralistic by Alliance standards", in that he has been and to a point still is comfortable operating outside the law and making shades of gray type decisions, but by the standards of the underworld he's not quite ruthless enough. I will make edits to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom