Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Gracious Hosts

It was not publicly acknowledged, but it was fairly common knowledge that House Rist ran countless criminal rackets across the galaxy. Imogen knew the luxury and wealth she enjoyed had been built over thousands of years of criminal enterprises, and embraced that aspect of the Rist family tradition. She had not changed a thing except expanding some of these illicit interests. It was the reason that many of the visitors at the monthly open house had come. Debtors and petitioners that needed the grace of House Rist to continue their existence or fund their vices and addictions. It was an empire built on sin, and she rather liked indulging the people that came to her in need. It put her in a position of power and she relished having that power over people more so than the material comforts she had been surrounded by her whole life.

Imogen mingled with the guests at the evening gala. While it looked for all intents and purposes to be a typical noble gathering, it was anything but. Security detail was run through her son Cal and his allies. They were trained to fight, and the reputation for rather blunt security procedures kept nearly everyone from creating a ruckus when things did not go their way. Illegal gambling had been set up for the high rollers in the lounge. While it was not a general rule for House Rist, they usually maintained at least some modicum of unfixed games. The house came away with a reasonable profit while letting everyone else believe that they had a chance at winning big. It was like dangling meat in front of a nexu.

The guests were happy, and she was enjoying the attentiveness of the servants as well. Imogen however, released from her duties as a host on the guest floor, retreated to her office to meet with guests that wanted to request favors from House Rist. It was her favorite part of the gatherings and the one that really spelled true profit to the family.

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

It was suggested to her that it would be good to diversify her connections.

Low-level ones were good up to a point, but it was clear that Mercy was going places. Which places? Not even she knew. But her name was going out there and making its rounds. It brought danger, yes, but also opportunity. The bounty hunters hadn't yet figured out the connection between Mercy and her birthname... and hopefully never would.

Today she wore a suit.

It scratched at her throat and her back, but apparently this was a black tie affaire. She couldn't just bring out her best knuckleduster and unbloodied shirt to the event without escaping notice.

As it were she was already sticking out as a sore thumb. Most women wore the fancy dresses and elegant showpieces. Hers was a sharp buttoned-down version that accentuated broad shoulders more than anything else. Her tats were sticking out from under its sleeves. She had also refused to stop wearing her assortment of rings.

All in all.

As she glided (more like rolled as a boulder through the woods) towards the buffet table Mercy picked out a flute of champagne from a passing waiter.

"Hopefully they 'ave sum' o'that turkey left. Nobles always grab the biggest pieces fo'themselves." She grumbled... mostly to herself. Only once she secured herself a large leg of turkey on a plate did Mercy follow the declining line of guests seeking favors from the matriarch.

Mercy wasn't lookin for favors.

But apparently it was a good idea to introduce yourself and make a proper acquaintance when you went to these things.

It meant less time at the buffet table, but sure, why not?

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Imogen Rist Imogen Rist Mercy Mercy

The grand gala was a sight to see, and The Donna took her time enjoying the food, the music, the wine, and the company. The invitation to the Grand Gala had caught her attention; "A party?" She'd wondered aloud. Curiosity had gotten the better of her - the power of House Rist (and their considerable connections across the Galaxy) was spoken of highly, and their connections with the Galactic Alliance intrigued her.

Upon her arrival, The Family's own matriarch left a private message with Lady Rist's staff that the The Donna of The Family wished to speak with her in private at Lady Rist's convenience. Then, Ivory went off to enjoy the festivities.

A glass of wine later, the Crime Lord was mingling and enjoying the gardens, waiting patiently.

Mercy Mercy

Imogen stood with her back to the door. She was looking out over the courtyard and enjoying a glass of expensive brandy that was distilled in one of her own production facilities. As the door opened and the guest entered she looked over her shoulder. There were similarities she noted between herself and the woman shown to a seat by the service staff.

The Duchess herself was dressed in a similar manner as she often eschewed traditional feminine attire. Imogen was a woman of particular tastes, and as she sat at her desk she leaned back in her seat. "You remind me of my ex-wife, Force rest her soul."

"Welcome to the Rist estate, though."
Imogen said politely. She motioned at the bottle on her desk and the empty glass, "Enjoy, please, this is a celebration and everyone should have at least one drink. How can the family be of service to you?" she said pulling out a data pad and filing through it to read some of the business that someone looking for favors could take care of in exchange for the family's support.

While this meeting was taking place, one of the service staff approached Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud , "Miss if you would please follow me, I will show you to Duchess Rist's office. Your appointment is next and we like to keep things flowing quickly."

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Brows raised behind the shades as she plopped down in the chair and accepted another drink. The champagne glass had been expertly discarded right before stepping in and that was a good call.

More noble-quality free alcohol was always appreciated.

"Do I? S'good to know ya had good taste back then as well." Mercy drawled lazily as she poured herself some fine liquor. Wait, had that been a bit insensitive considering she mentioned something about the Force resting her soul? "My uh. Condolences, Matriarch Rist." A bit stiff and polite, but it was as good as it got with a branched ham like Mercy.

"Thanks. Honestly, I dun' think I got any needs the family gotta fill, but-" She shrugged as she tore off a piece of flesh from the turkey and swallowed it in one go.

Uncivilized? Maybe. But ever since the Sith Lord Warthog had given her that alchemized soup... she was positively ravenous. Everywhere. All the time.

"Am good with mah fists. And with other things, yeah? So I wanted to say... if House Rist ever needs something..." Thoughtful there. "...if it's in my ability, I will do my best to help ya out. An' maybe you remember me, when I need some help in return, yah?"

Years ago her parents had tried to teach her about this.

The noble give an' take the Tion Sector was famous for. She had never really taken to it. There was a graceful dance to it that Mercy just didn't have the patience for. She shrugged again and finished the glass filled just a moment ago. "That's about it, lady. Uh, Matriarch. Am sure yar real busy, so I won't hold ya up."

Already rising up and the chair groaned in relief it was finally free of that infernal weight.

"Thanks for the drinks an' meat-" meatmeatmeatmeat. "-and if ya ever wanna be reminded of ya ex again, jus' let me know, yeah?" Okay, that was definitely awkward, but Mercy didn't really notice.

A seeker of employment. There was something to be said about those who were willing to get their hands dirty in the criminal underworld. Of course, Imogen always had a use for outside help. While plenty of her kids could handle themselves, new blood that could take the heat as well served a two-fold purpose of keeping the family vital and being able to do the jobs she didn't want to risk her own blood on.

The only response to the proposition was a small chuckle, but she did speak up a moment later, "There is something that you could do for the family, actually. If you are sincere about wanting to help the family then you have come to one of the best bloodlines for those seeking new avenues for income. We have this customs agent that has given us trouble in the past that seems to be back on his nonsense. While I would normally have taken care of this in house you present me with a unique opportunity to see if you can handle things with discretion. We don't want him dead, mind you, just temporarily out of the picture. I'll leave it to you to figure out how it is you want to take care of that but remember, do not murder him." she said, leaping at the offer of service. Imogen was well-equipped with plenty of work that needed done on one time table or another. This one, just happened to be the most important at the moment. She did not indicate what the shipment was that needed to slip past customs unmolested, as that was need-to-know. In time though, continued service and loyalty would be rewarded with more important tasks and better knowledge.

Imogen stood up and motioned to the door, "Please, show the next guest in. See my son Cal on the way out and we will get you entered into the system. Standard formality to have you listed as people that are allowed entry into the family estate."

Mercy Mercy Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

The Donna followed the staff member without delay, as she, herself, was not accustomed to waiting when there was business to be done.

The staff-member knocked, then opened the door when allowed and introduced Ivory by her title: Donna Ivory Stroud. It was likely The Duchess, with her considerable criminal connections, would be familiar with The Family - a crime syndicate based out of Coruscant which had once been quite powerful, then disappeared entirely before emerging again within the past few months. The Family was notoriously secretive and difficult to contact. The fact that their rumored leader stood, now, in this office, may have come as somewhat of a strange occurance.

Lady Rist would be drawn immediately to notice the tiny stone which hung at her bosom: held by a thin chain in a simple setting lay a Kyber Crystal, sparkling like a violet star with its' own internal fire. it was the only piece of jewelry she wore. Otherwise, The Donna's appearance was relatively simple... If elegant. A wide-brimmed black hat lay atop a Cascade of black hair (dark as the void) which stretched the length of her back, and a number of colorful tattoos could be glimpsed beneath her conservative business-like attire.

The Donna entered the room, hands clasped politely in front of her.. every step, certain and deliberate. Violet eyes, seeing everything, regarded the Duchess with a healthy amount of amusement, and a polite smile lay on her pretty lips. Ivory bowed at the waist, nearly imperceptible, as she was introduced and the staff-member vacated.

The Donna carried herself with a similar bearing, and moved like a predator at rest. Whomever she was, she was not just an administrator. She was every bit the Professional.

"Duchess Rian, it is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for seeing me. The tales of the beauty of your Estate do it no justice."

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

It would have been funny if Ivory and Mercy had passed each other while striding in- and out of Rist's office. But perhaps it was for the best they hadn't, because things might have turned seven shades of awkward.

You never did want to meet your alleyway encounter back at some fancy gala.

That's why it was an alleyway encounter.

Mercy took head of Rist's words. Meet her son before leaving, sure, yeah. But first grab some more alcohol from the bar and then some more food from the buffet. It just seemed fair, you know? All of this was so far outside of her wheelhouse it wasn't even funny. The very least Mercy could do is make sure she was nicely fed, lightly tipsy and comfortable.

Plate shoveled with more food, glass of... honestly she wasn't sure what it was but something tasty and sparkly. And then began looking for the exit, where hopefully Rist's son would be frequenting.

The last thing she wanted to do right now was play ninety-nine questions with the rest of the party's people just to find the boy.

"Let's not fool ourselves with flattery and games, shall we?" Imogen said to the woman that entered next. They were cut from the same cloth and so getting down to business was more useful than playing pleasantries like cards in a game of pazaak. "I thought your little syndicate had vanished from the galaxy. Were my spies wrong or did you go into hiding?"

The redhead sat back in her chair and rolled an old-fashioned coin over her knuckles. "I take it you're working on getting things back in order. What brings you to my home, Ivory? Are you looking for help, a handout, or a business partnership?" she said, her voice not meaning to throw any venom at her guest but more seeking answers to the question that lingered in the air. Imogen had her own interests to look out for and if the two groups could avoid competition then it was to the benefit of both parties involved to keep things cordial. There was no need to try to muscle in on one another's rackets after all.

In the guest lobby, Imogen's son Cal was standing around where the coats were checked for all the guests. It was dull work, but he had to do it. The safety of the Rist family mattered more to him than being bored. Still, the holochess table between him and his brother Dex was more active than the lobby. He looked up and half-rolled his eyes, "Which coat?" he asked.

Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud Mercy Mercy

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

"Coat?"

Mercy blinked and looked towards the assortment of coats. Then pointed towards the one that seemed most expensive and fit her too. "Thanks. You know where I can find Rist's son? She told me to come lookin' for 'im, but I ain't interested in digging through the whole party to get to him." Not realizing, of course, that she was talking to that same person right now.

Classic Mercy really.

At the very least the buffet was real good.

Like. Honestly, it might have been the best food Mercy has had in a long time. The food over on Ashin Cardé Varanin Ashin Cardé Varanin 's ship was nothing compared to this noble chit.

Maybe she could get used to the high-roller life.

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

If The Duchess's tone was an attempt to throw The Donna off her game, she had failed. Her curt reply, barely waiting until the door was closed to attempt an assertion of dominance, was casually disregarded as Ivory stepped further into the room.

The Donna changed her tone to match Lady Rist's, stepping nearer to the woman's desk as her polite smile disappeared faster than moisture clouds in a sunspot. The Donna filled the room with her voice, clear and concise. She ignored the first two questions entirely, and moved straight to her reason for the visit:

"Firstly, I have designs on the Frego System. I'm sure you're aware that the system has no Senatorial support in the Galactic Senate." It was not a question.

"I would like to inform you of our intent to move into the region. Should we choose to make contact with The Cobral Crime Syndicate on Frego, I would like to be certain our two Organizations would not come into conflict. Secondly, I would like the backing of House Rian to nominate, then install, a Senator over the system. The Senator can be one of yours, if that is agreeable - but it would have to be someone friendly to my organization, and willing to assist in supporting our ventures."

"Quite the design you have." Imogen said picking up her brandy and swirling it in the glass and sipping. She sat there for a few tense seconds. "I think the two of us can come to a mutual agreement then. I was keeping tack of the Cobral syndicate for some time myself. My father started tracking them when they finally went back to their home planet to see what their plans were but nothing really turned up other than simple things that are beneath House Rist." she said with a bit of a frown. Imogen hated not being in the loop about things and if the Cobrals played it close enough to the chest that her eyes and ears could not pick something up then that meant they were either doing something deeper or just playing small games now.

The redhead put her glass down, "Union bosses were my targets initially, but I think I am going to scuttle that plan. I am hoping to get several friendly souls in the customs agency so that our shipments to Frego can go a bit more smoothly and quickly than they normally do. Nothing too serious just some smuggling to the spice rings on Frego. What did you have in mind for your own stakes on Frego so I can tell my boys not to interrupt your businesses.'

Back at the coat check, Cal looked around after the question of what coat and frowned. He did not hand her the coat. "Nice try. How about we just get you taken care of, yeah? Go through the door there to your left and we'll get you entered into the system. Don't worry this is an internal system so no outgoing traffic and no incoming intruders. Airtight, secret safe." he said nodding his head to the side for the woman. He couldn't blame her for trying to get a free expensive coat, but he wasn't born yesterday.

Mercy Mercy Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

Ivory considered that question carefully before answering. A heartbeat later, she only said one turn-of-phrase; the meaning of which would be all-to-familiar to those in their profession:

"I would make the Cobral Family an offer they can't refuse."

The truth was, she intended to take the Frego system for herself. Even if it came to war.

"Well, if you plan on wiping them out then you have my backing so long as it sticks to the Frego system as we agreed upon. If you need any support then I can lend some muscle to your operations to take control from the Cobrals." Imogen said, knowing what that statement meant quite intimately. If they Cobrals wouldn't play ball then they would be made to play ball on Ivory's terms. It was an admirable and resolute goal to have and she would put her support for it.

Imogen drew up a data pad and handed it over to Ivory,
"This should help you out with your plans." she said, offering a list of a couple safehouses and the schedules for several shipments of spice going to and leaving Frego. A couple early hits here and there would definitely make things more smooth for her. "We're not much for hostile takeovers or gang wars, but we play with information like it's credits so you should know where to go if you need to know something that others might not."

Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Code Of Silence
Factory Judge
Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

The Donna stepped forward, procuring the offered datapad with a nod. The polite smile returned, but the warmth in her eyes did not. The brim of her hat cast the Crime Lord's face in shadow, lending her an air of mystery.

"You are most kind, Lady Rist. The Family... My Family... Thanks you. Do enjoy your party."

Information was supremely more valuable then credits, and she would see to it that the knowledge would be used effectively. Their business concluded, The Donna turned to leave The Duchess's office and (if there was nothing more) would exit the party.

Stopping by Mercy Mercy , of course, to share a shot of the finest bourbon Ivory could find before the two women parted ways.

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist | Ivory Stroud Ivory Stroud

Mercy was about to walk into the side-room to get 'her details into the system' when Ivory swept in out of nowhere.

That's usually how it went with that Lady though, so besides obvious amusement Mercy didn't show much surprise. You didn't need to do much to convince a woman like her of the wisdom of one more drink. So she beckoned for the Rist son to wait a moment. They polished off one shot of Ivory's bourbon... and then Mercy wrapped an arm around her shoulders, keeping her there for one more shot.

Only then letting her go with boisterous laughter and following Rist's son inside.

"Ah, lad. Must karkin' suck to be stuck handling coats an' system input, while everyone around ya be having a grand ol' time." Mercy drawled with sympathy as she settled to wait for him to boot the system back up.

"Why dun' ya get a shot for yourself, hm? I won't tell ya momma, I promise."

Crossing her heart with two lazy finger gestures.

"You might feel a small prick, and also we're about to jab your finger so we have your blood type on record if we need to do in house medical treatment." Cal said with the self-deprecation of a man bored out of his mind. He pulled up the little finger clamp and like blood pulse oximeter placed it on the finger to get the DNA and blood sample so they could keep track of their employees. It was standard for House Rist but might have been strange for any other group that called themselves a criminal enterprise.

Imogen waited in her room for the next guest, while planning her next move for expansion in their business interests. If Ivory was expanding more permanently into Frego she would have to rethink a permanent presence. She didn't want to step on toes, so her work in that system would really only extend to calls for support more than anything else. She played nice with other groups so long as they played nice too.

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

She shrugged.

"S'alright with me, lad." Mercy extended her hand with her own bored expression. It was a bit disappointing the son didn't wanna have any drinks, but then again, with a mother like that? Maybe he was too afraid of her potential reaction to partake. Mercy could understand that. The Matriarch seemed like a no-nonsense lady that would even snap her own son in half.

If he gave her reason.

The device would have some trouble with her blood however. It wasn't pure human. And in fact, it seemed to be shifting around, regenerating on the spot even once it left her system.

Not that Mercy was in a mood to explain.

"So, yar hot mom-" Mostly said to make Cal uncomfortable, even if it was true too. "-said something about beating up a guy. Not killing, I know. Got any more dets for me on that note?"

She wondered if she could get away with taking a whole bottle of their whiskey with her.

Wouldn't that be nice?

"Yeah. He's a hard ass Rodian that works customs. He comes in and wants to shape the place up but he's the only one that isn't on the take so we have to try to use back door channels to get our monthly spice shipment in. Guy hasn't caught wind of any of them yet but he's sniffing around like he is trying to find something and we don't want to take chances with him. Break his leg or something and that should put him out of commission for the shipment and let our container in nice and easy." Cal said, not really caring that the blood was weird in one way or another, just that it was in the system. Either way he offered more details than his mother. "Mother dearest put you up to the task, so I figure she was a little light on what you were doing other than clubbing a customs agent. She likes to make the new ones work a little extra to get it done. Says it shows if they have ingenuity. Never said I couldn't offer you help though so maybe that's part of the test, to see if you can work with others."

The boy seemed to understand though that this meant the woman was leaving, so he gathered up the gift basket that ever guest received for their attendance. Inside it was an expensive cognac imported from Corellia, and various fruits to go with it. Of course, all of them were chosen for the complimentary flavors so that nobody would make the mistake of eating one of them while sipping the liquor they were given only to discover that they clashed terribly. Cal slid it across the table and looked the other way having slid a smaller data pad into the basket as well. "You can do me a favor though. Mother dearest wants to find out what the deliveries going to House Organa are. Slip that data spike into a terminal and you should be able to find shipping manifests related to their transports. They're not dealers in things like we are, but she wants to give the queen a gift and would like to know what she had taken interest in lately. I'll throw in a couple thousand credits if you can do that for me."

Imogen Rist Imogen Rist

"Yar mom sounds like a fiercely busy lady." Mercy murmured bemused at the description Cal was giving to her.

Yeah, honestly, maybe Mercy should get a bit closer to the Matriarch of House Rist. Couldn't hurt, right? Worst comes to worst and at the least it would mean more free drinks an' chit. It did amuse her that this noble lady was barely better than a run-o-ya-mill crime lord, but here she was holding court like she was Queen of Alderaan or some chit.

It made her ponder about her own position.

She had left the Tionese court years ago now, because she didn't want anything to do with that snake pit. But. Here was a woman who was showing you could both. If you tried hard enough.

Mercy nodded once more at the second request. "Yeah, sure, lad. I am feeling mighty generous after all that booze o' ya mom's." She stretched there slowly before swiping the datapad and the spike. "I will see what I can do for y'all, an' once I get it done... well..." A slow look around the place. Even this smaller room was pretty fethin' lush.

"Guess ya will see me 'round, once I succeed."

Once.

Not if.

"Cheers, buddy. Looking forward working with ya family a stint."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom