Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good Morning Echoy'la

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Two ships exited hyperspace over the rings of the Echoy'la gas giant. The two ships looked like one, both because they reverted simultaneously and because one cloaked instantly. Also, they were a good distance from Echoy'la Colony proper, the beskar-bearing moonlet. The detectable ship was a freighter, normal traffic for the Braxant Run. The other boasted a stygium cloak, thrust trace dampers, and a gravitic modulator. No sensor known to man could detect it. True, if it got too close to the massive ring, so wide as to be a plane, the ship would start leaving a wake. But if it stayed close to the freighter, their wakes would blend together.

The freighter was registered to Clan Rekali.

Onboard the "Skyborn." - Infernus Class Cruiser
[member="Vesta Rekali"]​
In orbit around Echoy'la
Solan's eyes stared towards the console as he was told about the dropping out of a single ship. Visitors were not uncommon and he knew that things would only get more hectic in time with the onset of what will likely be a war between the Mandalorian Empire and the Republic thanks to the actions taken earlier by those he fought with and himself. He still was unsure about this but things would progress with increasing concern... And such was a sign thanks to the ship in question.
A few weeks before, Mandalore had faced a moment of great pain, he had still been halfway across the galaxy when it happened, but none the less he was happy he had not been there if the reports he read told the truth. Savarok had dropped a station onto the planet below, killing a good number but also a rather famous Mandalorian that he knew better thanks to the records left by Alexandra in his care. He was unsure if the reports were true, too much muddled by propaganda and the feelings that had been charged thanks to these actions, but Savarok was in the eyes of both the Clans and the Empire a terrorist.
That brought his eyes back on the Rekali freighter, staring at it for a few seconds before his hand hovered over a comm button, glancing at a officer to his right and nodding to him. The man was a Keshiri, as were the rest of the crew. No man on the ship was not a member of the Keshiri population that he had brought with him out here, the military officers he trusted.
"Rekali freighter, i request your reason for coming to Echoy'la, please halt any approach until we can confirm any dock requests filled out by your ship in preparation for arriving in this system." He was unsure why the ship was here, and he didn't want things to become worse. Already there were vocal mandalorians who had tried to take revenge on the Manda'lor, but those challenges had been on other worlds. Was this freighter here to bring someone who looked to challenge the Manda'lor in person?

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

"Got an unannounced visitor."

The atmosphere was antsy aboard the Eye of Echoy'la. Following the rogue Gen'Dai's assault on Mandalore, the crew of the Immortal expected the worst. They knew their people very well and fully expected a counter assault despite logic. For this cause was the purchase their liege facilitated during Mygeeto vastly appreciated: a force dedicated specifically for the defense of the Empire's capital. And, since the destruction of the station, its size had been bolstered by the presence of Clan Verd's own vessels. Suffice it to say, the Mandalorian Empire was expecting - and prepared for - the absolute worst.

Kark hoping for the best.

"It's Clan Rekali. Thoughts?"

"Their Aliit'Buir is dead. Six-to-one odds, this is payback."

"On one dinky freighter? Come off it, you're paranoid!"

"Right, I'm paranoid. That's the karking Witch-King's family. There's no telling what a freighter full of them can do."

"Enough." rumbled the voice of their commander. Kin to the Mand'alor, Nehemiah Verd chewed the inside of his cheek. T'was a bad habit, but it was how he got the ol'gears upstairs turning. "They halted us on Mandalore, we halt them here. Hail them." he ordered. At once a line of communication was opened to the vessel they could detect.

"Looks like they're already getting a message."

"Standby. See what they say." Nehemiah believed in the "soft answer turneth away wrath" approach. Now it was time to see if the old proverb held up against modern angst.

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Solan Charr"] [member="Isley Verd"]

A communications tightbeam connected the cloaked ship and the freighter. The Keshiri hail went to the freighter and was rerouted to the cloaked vessel; the cloaked vessel's commander replied via the reverse of the same pattern, so the reply, for all intents and purposes, came from the freighter. The delay could be measured in miliseconds, and most conversations contained much greater gaps.

On the cramped bridge of the Defiance, Vesta's mind raced. Too many possibilities were at play here. The great question, of course, was what the feth a Keshiri cruiser was doing here, a hundred thousand light-years from its home base. Clan Rekali's significant Kathol presence had provided a bit of surface-level intel on the Keshiri Royal Navy, a frequent participant in local politics -- but only on the other side of the galaxy. This ship, the Skyborn, had been noted as a part of that navy, at Demonsgate. For reasons unknown, the descendants of the Lost Tribe of the Sith, and some representative of their reputed Dark Jedi king, were patrolling the capital system of the Mandalorian Empire.

Part of her, a large part of her, wanted to cut and run. An improbable connection between the historical Sith and the Mandalorian Empire was a tenuous link, but interesting enough to justify the trip. But coward at heart though she knew herself to be, the other part of her spoke up -- the part of her that could best be described as awful fascination. Clearly, the Mandalorian Empire had suffered, gotten in too deep with the eldritch ideas and influences that the Primeval had spread through this territory. That was the premise of this mission, this expedition: to find proof. No matter the cost to her mind and the minds of her crew.

The truth was out there.

She listened to the part of her that never could resist questioning the unknown. As she opened her mouth to play this through, though, another ship opened a channel but waited for whatever Vesta was about to say. She chewed her lip and pondered for a second.

"This is the Clan Rekali freighter Tsat'rap," she said, on a transmission that both ships could hear as coming from the freighter. "We're here to trade. With vode. Sith are another matter. Since when does the Lost Tribe speak for your Mand'alor?"

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Solan waited for a response, but when he heard the last sentence all he could do was smile and laugh, his voice sounding over the comm before being able to stop himself. The lost tribe, he would not say that they were gone from his planet or the minds of his people. To erase them, both from the world and from history would be no better than the actions of a fanatical Jedi. He fully knew the reputation that the Keshiri homeworld had and with his voice settling down he looked over to the comm officer as he took over command of the conversation completely.

"My apologies Rekali Freighter Tsat'rap. Ill have to hold you in space while your credentials are ran through to ensure that trade is your primary reason. After done you will be directed to a commercial docking bay so that you can go about your business, after you have had your cargo inspected. I mean no disrespect, but things have been rather turbulent these last weeks. As for my ship's presence here, i am Solan Charr, commander of the Mandalorian fleet. And as you aptly pointed out, this is indeed a Keshiri ship... mine actually." He paused and waited for the officer to start running the ship through the database before continuing. He wasn't expecting to find anything except what the other speaker had said, but it paid to be safe.

"Though, i can promise you the Lost Sith have not had power over my people for nearly a decade now, being disposed of shortly after the fall of the former Moross Crusader's government. I do suggest a visit to the city of Gyn next time you are by the planet, a wonder place with a pretty decent immigrated community. Bantha Burgers are really good too near the star ports." Solan was, as usual, relaxed when it came to talking to those who were otherwise unknown to him. Hostilities had been far too high and he was here to ensure the Mandalorians are both protected, but also as a cooler head in the mandalorian world of challenges and tempers.

"Hmm."

As a vessel, paranoia was a not a trait to be ignored or stifled. Rather, it was to be harnessed and cultivated into a rather capable tool. Terah was one such vessel: a woman who had been crushed and remade by the hands of her Mand'alor. On Zhar, she learned that free will was a mere delusion; and only the will of her liege was the truth. Thus did she lead them without hesitation: a Templar remnant straight into the midst of House Verd. Now, whilst her liege attended to the matter of preventing civil war, her fellows were tasked with something rather simple. "Don't let the house burn down while I'm away."

Thus did Terah raise a brow at the presence of the Rekali vessel. One other aboard the bridge was right to be paranoid...this was kin to the fallen Witch-King whose exploits were too long to list. He was a legend among the Mando'ade, and as such his death alone could spurn pacifists to war. Or in this case, extended family. Having heard the transmission uttered from [member="Solan Charr"], Terah took it upon herself to excuse herself from the Bridge. The click of her boots upon the floor was enough to draw Nehemiah's attention.

"Going to the little ladies room?"

"No." Verd humor was lost on her. "I've something to check."

"Oh?"

Terah didn't respond, as she was already gone. And while her lips did not move, her voice echoed to those who called her Mistress.

To me, little ones. I need your strength.

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Solan Charr"]
[member="Isley Verd"]

Vesta's eyes narrowed in suspicion. As she looked around the bridge, she was mildly gratified to see the same expression on the faces of her cousins. She was well accustomed to being the only one who thought things smelled downright...squamous. Maybe even rugose.

"So let me get this straight. A Dark Jedi king in a private heavy cruiser from a planet a hundred thousand light-years away is telling me to respect his authoritay? Nope. Nopenopenope."

She bit her tongue, afraid she'd gone too far. But this situation just didn't add up to her. Maybe that was paranoia. Stranger things had happened; Charr might be entirely legitimate.

"Think it's about time I heard from an actual Mandalorian. Try anything squamous and we'll have issues."

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Solan shrugged as he heard her speak. It seemed the women knew who he was exactly... impressive. It was a bit surprising to him that someone had done prior research on Kesh to such and extent but he had ti simply shrug. "You are correct in thinking that all of this is a bit fishy, but i promise you that i am very much so as i say. If you have reports from the recent activities of Mimban, you will see i am more than just some random Dark Jedi trying to force your respect. For all purposes, i ask that you not respect my authority, but do respect the procedures so that we can get you on your way."

To be honest, he was a bit annoyed by the last part of the first statement, but he had to admit he would have reacted the same way at first. He had run into those like Romeo Sin and Aedan Miles more than enough time to know that there were charlatans in the galaxy masquerading as beings with importance beyond their own.

"I can put you in contact with Warmarshal Zef Halo if you so desire, though it would hold you over for a while longer as we would have to wait for the communications to be rerouted. I have all day but im sure that you will lose money with each second you have to waste your fuel on waiting for this all to go through. We can do that, or we can just get you moving along." He waited for her to decide, not opposed to having her sit in open space while they waited for [member="Zef Halo"] to not be in a meeting or training. He really needed to talk to the old man about finding a true place in Mandalorian society so that events like this did not happen every so often. He was happy to push the woman along though, granted her outburst did leave him in a curious mood as it had almost seemed like she was more interested in his being there rather than actually trading... as she had said.

"Go hiiiiiiim!"

"She went in on his ass!

"Deeeeeeeeyum son!"

While the majority of the bridge crew had what paler members of the Galaxy referred to as "a Zabaraka Moment", Nehemiah simply shook his head. Why his elder cousin had elected to turn over leadership one of the fleets to this Solan individual was beyond him. Maybe it had something to do with the "good ol" CIS days that the man referred to in passing. Nonetheless, the Rekali vessel wasn't having any of what they were being fed, so Nehemiah stepped up.

"Thank you, Admiral Charr." he said, addressing them himself now. "And to you, Vode, we apologize for any confusion. My Lord and Cousin Isley has seen the value of this man, most likely a result of military service long ago. Nevertheless, my name is Nehemiah Verd, and I do believe I meet your Mando'ad requirement."

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Solan Charr"] [member="Isley Verd"]

Vesta muted the comm pickup, just for a minute. "We know they've been listening," she said to the bridge at large, and to herself, "but do we really know how long they've been listening? They're playing sabacc close to their chests, like us. They could have gear that-"

She bit her tongue. Starweird spies were possible -- always possible -- but this situation didn't really feel like starweirds were involved. The bridge crew looked at her expectantly, and a little warily.

"Ignore me," she said, sinking into her captain's chair, and unmuted the comm.

"Thank you, Commander Verd. We're on course for Echoy'la Colony. Is there anything we should know? Any more dar'manda in positions of authority?"

"As for things you should know," began the behemoth Verd, "you'll be headed for Little Keldabe. It's the hub for commerce on Echoy'la proper. You'll receive the docking information and whatnot as you get closer to the planet."

Ah, now there was a lovely question. No doubt a direct result of Saverok's antics.

"As for Dar'manda in the ranks, there are none. This much I can assure you, on my honor. Though, you're welcome to see for yourself when you land."

"Are there any other questions I can answer for you, vod? Or are you ready to come planet side?"

He muted the mic.

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Isley Verd"]

"No, I think that'll do." Vesta breathed a sigh of relief as tension drained from her shoulders and neck. "Tricky times we live in, vod."

The Tsat'rap angled for the gas giant; the Defiance, still cloaked, kept pace with the freighter and nestled up against it. The closer they drew, the better the freighter's sensor resolution. No ship, no matter how solidly stealthed, could remain undetected while actively scanning. Through the short-range tightbeam, the freighter passed its sensor data to the Defiance. Needless to say, the freighter had some very good sensors installed. Vesta watched her screens as the freighter began to detect massive hovering cities within the gas giant. So this was why Echoy'la Colony, one of the twenty-something moons, had so little traffic. This 'Little Keldabe' community, sort of a Mandalorian Cloud City maybe, was now the focus of the system's Mando habitation. She wondered what that meant for beskar production; only that one solitary moonlet had beskar, after all.

Entering the gas giant's atmosphere, the cloaked light frigate (with a heavy cruiser's armament and shielding) remained nestled up against the freighter. It migrated to the stern, the better to hide in the cloud-wake and throw in its own for good measure.

"Indeed they are."

Nehemiah had a hunch, a rather spontaneous one that inspired him to thrust a thumb in the direction of the communications' officer. "I'll see them in. You're in charge." Now, why he didn't select the most "ranking" subordinate was simply in order to prompt the chorus of dissatisfaction.

"Really Zabaraka?"
"You goin' do me like that!"
"Awwww yeeeeaaa!"

A light chuckle escaped the Mandalorian's lips before he departed, making his way promptly to the Hangar. Nehemiah was well aware of the boarding procedures that the visiting Rekali would be exposed to; namely a momentary halt in progress in order to properly adjust headings and whatnot. In that time, Nehemiah had plenty of time to slide into the pilot's seat of an Aquila and mosey his way over to Little Keldabe himself. In truth, his hunch was more...curiosity, as he had never personally met a Rekali before. That, and he was very interested in seeing how this "trading venture" played out.

So, by the time the Rekali freighter made it within a respectable distance of Little Keldabe, Nehemiah was already rocketing through the upper atmosphere. As he had the Verd surname, getting aboard was seamless; and he made certain to request that the visitors be directed to the same hangar he had landed in. Better to be greeted by a friendly face, yeah?

In the meantime, the Freighter would receive confirmation from Little Keldabe in the form of a verbal missive. "You are cleared to land at Hangar Bravo-Three. You are permitted to bring aboard small, personal defense items only."

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Nehemiah Verd"]

The freighter glided into the hangar bay without incident; simultaneously, the cloaked Defiance broke away and held position more or less underneath Little Keldabe. A tiny relay droid, about the size of a shockball, was dispatched to hover some distance outside the hangar bay, to maintain line of sight for potential tightbeam connection between the two ships. When Nehemiah greeted the landed freighter, lo and behold, out stepped a helmeted Mando with Vahla symbols on her armour.

Still aboard the Defiance, Vesta had turned over control to a trusted cousin and retreated to a side room. She'd donned the helmet of her own armour, and linked directly with the helmet of Cousin Marta, who'd just stepped out to meet Nehemiah. A button near Vesta's hand linked to a tiny pulser under Marta's beskar'gam, a minimal notification that Vesta was about to speak.

Through the vocoder of Marta's buy'ce.

Pulse. Marta tilted her head; Vesta watched on a monitor. "Nehemiah Verd, I presume," said Vesta, and her voice came out of Marta's helmet without appreciable lag. "I'm Vesta Rekali, captain of the Tsat'rap." Marta, who had good fething instincts and dabbled in split-second improv, held out a gauntleted hand to shake. Vesta touched the pulser again. "Thanks for clearing things up before I told the Dark Jedi up there something we'd both regret."

"You presume correctly." he said, rendering a polite nod of acknowledgement. "It's a pleasure to meet you in person, Vesta Rekali."

Ah, ignorance. Marta was quite the actress - enough so that the Mandalorian thought nothing of the voice which reached his ears. Suspicion of Vesta's cautionary measures was...not even remotely close to being in Nehemiah's head right now. Reaching out his dominant hand, the Mandalorian returned the gesture before chuckling at Vesta's remark regarding Solan.

"Alternatively, you'd have amused the heck out of my crew." came his response, before he motioned towards the greater entrance of Little Keldabe. "You've traveled quite a long way, so if you'll allow me, might I introduce you to some Echoy'lii cuisine?"

Did he just ask her ou-backpedal. Backpedal.

"Of course, if time is not your ally, I'd be happy to simply show you to the Marketplace."

Yeah, real smooth Nehemiah. Real smooth.

[member="Vesta Rekali"]

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
[member="Nehemiah Verd"]

Vesta and Marta had discussed potential situations in which Marta would need to take off the buy'ce and still be Vesta. None of those situations had involved getting asked to lunch by an unusually hormonal Verd.

Well, maybe not unusual for a Verd.

"A drink," said Vesta when she'd stopped panicking. "And a tour around the Marketplace. It's why I'm here, after all."

Marta can handle a drink well enough. Plus she deserves one. And her buy'ce has a straw, microfiltered against impurities and toxins. If she has to take the helmet off, her hair's dyed white and she sort of looks like me -- we're cousins by blood, if distant ones. But facial recognition is a thing. If she keeps the buy'ce on for the drink and the tour, if she's smart and only uses the straw, then all that's left is not screwing up a...date.

I have a stealth ship with the guns of a heavy cruiser parked under his capital. Discovery could mean embarrassment or war. But sure, let's be nervous about having a drink with a Verd.

At least there's bits of this I can control.

She touched the pulser again as Marta followed Nehemiah. "Don't be offended if I keep my buy'ce on," she said. "It's not you, it's me. Plus a ruby bliel through a helmet-straw is still a ruby bliel."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom