Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gnarly Brah

tahiti_620.jpg
[member="Zak Dymo"] | Resort town of Firdaus,Chariss | #AquaticLife​

Seas on Chariss proved to me more than generous to him. Barrel waves abounded, the swells often growing large before crashing against the sandy shores. He hadn't had such fortune since leaving Dac nearly a year ago. His time in the Iron Empire had meant no surfing, not that there were any planets around to actually perform the activity. Until he stumbled upon Chariss in his travels, just outside of the influence sphere of the Empire. The half-Galan was supposed to be resting but surfing was resting, right?

Lack of practice meant he was a bit rusty. Makai wiped out halfway down a particularly large wave, smashing face first into the surf. Gills took over once he was beneath the waves, transitioning to breathing water. The experience was even more odd given the months he was on an ice ball instead of a tropical wonderland. Almost as if his mind didn't remember he was partially aquatic, that his body automatically made the switch. Head surfaced and the abrupt switch back to breathing air. Surfboard was found and he slid back on, sitting upright and looking around at his tropical surroundings.

Sun beat down on still healing scars. His skin was starting to tan once more in the sun, turning the patches of missing scales and injured flesh white in contrast. After everything that had happened he needed a little rest and relaxation, some time to decompress and be himself. Surfing always did that, even if it meant he had to travel back towards IE space to do so.

Legs stretched out, his surfboard bobbing with the waves as he watched some others along the resort town's shores.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omG-hZfN6zk​

Some people stood on the beach, looking out over the ocean, and imagined that they stood at world's end.

It wasn't. It was only the beginning.

The sunlight penetrated deep beneath the surface of the water, illuminating a brave new world below. One populated by vibrant color. Red corals painted an intricate landscape, rising like mesas and hollowing out valleys and ridges into which green fronds and anemones created an undersea forest. Yellow, orange, and blue were all visible, as tropical fish moved in small schools through sea grass, which bowed and waved with the motion of the currents. Red and brown mollusks, crustaceans, and sea slugs crept along the ocean floor.

The young Nautolan's body cut through the water with an altogether preternatural ease. Moving in time with the waves above, the child's slim frame undulated with the motion of the dolphin kick, pushing against the weight of water with a certain instinctual grace. His arms were tucked against the sides of his body, his hips and legs fueling the momentum with which he navigated down and through the ocean. The fourteen stubby head-tendrils, normally hanging limp from the crown of his head, now writhed with a life of their own as the tresses worked to adjust the boy to the changes in pressure and salinity that were occurring dynamically as he passed through the strata of the sea. The gills, situated slightly higher and further back than the ears on a human, flared open and shut, as the delicate membranes filtered the water which the boy now breathed.

A school of moappa hung like clouds, drifting on the wind-like currents.

Dropping beneath the hang of their tendrils, the boy rotated around so that he was peering up toward the surface overhead. Watching as the sunlight shone through the jelly-like bodies of the moappa as he passed beneath them.

Rotating back around, the child spied an exosquidra creeping along the sea bed, it's tentacles reaching out to grab onto the corals as it pulled itself along.

Another dolphin kick sent the boy gliding forward with a sudden burst of speed. Planing out with his body, the youngling subconsciously adjusted his own buoyancy so that he hovered over the reef as he passed between the daylight and the deep. A great shadow along the sea floor betrayed the presence of one of the ocean's great masters.

Indeed, looking up, the boy was greeted by the majestic sight of a true giant. A whaladon, one of those mysterious, solitary soldiers of the sea. The magnificent creature was drifting onward in a slow march out among the waves.

Reef's end arrived with the terminus of the continental shelf. The sea floor suddenly dropping to reveal a steep face of an undersea mountain, one which descended down into the deep and dark.

Overhead, a disturbance radiated down through the salt and saline pressures. A tingling sensation radiated through his head-tails, prompting the boy to look up toward the surface again. Against the light of the sun, he could make out the silhouette of a near-human. The distinctive shape of a surfboard framed against the ceiling to this world within a world.

Ascending rapidly, the Nautolan's buoyancy underwent a radical shift. His gills worked furiously to equalize internal organ volumes as the pressures surrounding him lessened with the steady climb toward the surface dweller's realm.

The Nautolan's head crowned with a loud splash. Water droplets went in all directions as the boy whipped the head-tails back. Blinking several times, the small, green figure saw a human-looking boy up on a surfboard.

"Sup, brah," the child chimed brightly.

It was Zak for hello.

[member="Makai Dashiell"]​

[member="Zak Dymo"]

Surfboard swayed with the rhythm of the ocean, rocking Makai gently. The teenage half-Galan was in a daydream as the hot sun beat down on him. The selfish part of him wished [member="Myra Elspeth"] was out surfing with him despite having just left her back on the Farm. Out of the pair of them, Ellie was the more responsible one and he had left her behind to continue her education. Ellie was the smart one after all, Makai didn't need her dropping out like he did.

Makai craned his neck behind him, seeing swells starting to build in the distance. He would have to adjust his position on the board and in the ocean. The teenage boy went to lay across his board to paddle out when there was a loud splash and a chirpy little voice broke through the peaceful ocean sounds. Startled, Makai sat back up and turned his head in the direction of the voice.

Iced azure eyes met the inky blank of a small Nautolan boy.

"Whats up little brah."

Makai couldn't help but to grin at the kid. It was nice to see a fellow aquatic out and about. It reminded him of the days he had spent with Zak. It was great having someone else who understood the oddities of aquatic life.If he was honest, Makai had missed the Nautolan terribly. Last he had saw Zak it had been his wedding. After that he had dropped off the face off the universe. Makai was partially convinced Zak's wife had the Nautolan in hiding - Ellie was convinced the pair still married too young.

"How's the coral down there?"

The small Nautolan head bobbed with the motion of the ocean.

His short legs were moving in a slow frog-kick to help maintain his posture and orientation in the water, as the switch from water-breathing to air-breathing threw off the normal neutral buoyancy. Lungs full of air tended to do that.

The teen on the surfboard smiled. He seemed a friendly fellow. Zak liked him instantly.

...though, why did it feel as though they'd met before? Looking at the teen's face, Zak felt as though he was seeing someone he knew. Except he didn't.

It was very strange.

"Astral, brah! There's a whaladon pod nearby," the boy supplied eagerly. "It's totes cosmic!"

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

[member="Zak Dymo"]

"Whaladon pod? I'd miss it by the time I put my board on shore. Maybe tomorrow morning I'll swim out there."

A bit disappointed he had missed an entire pod of whaladons, Makai quickly regrouped and looked at the Nautolan kid once more. There was something familiar about the boy but then again, Nautolan kids all looked the same at the younger stages. Not wanting to be incredibly rude, Makai stopped staring and looked back out at their tropical surroundings.

"You can hang on to the board if you got to, I won't make you tread water.Swells aren't too bad today - you surf?" Of course the boy probably surfed. "Whatcha doin' out here? Besides exploring the deep."

"You surf?"

The question made the boy's head go back. Did he surf? Why would someone want to bob up on top of the water? There was tons and tons and TONS of more interesting stuff underneath it!

Théodred Heavenshield said:
"Man, what is that horrible smell?", Théo exclaimed wrinkling his nose. Following his nose he soon discovered the source of it, some giant dead aquatic creature had washed up on the beach and decaying beautifully in the baking sun. "I think we better find another beach", he said to the boys.
...it happened in an instant.

He wasn't even sure what to call it. Had it been a dream? Except... he was awake. Was it a memory? Wouldn't he remember if it were?

But, it had been like this. Just like this. Zak had been in the water. And this guy had been in the water, too. But... he'd been smaller? And, they were missing someone. Someone who'd been up on the shore.

That couldn't be right. Right?

"I'm not sure," the boy answered finally. It was sort of the answer to both questions.

"Some Anselmi found me on Glee Anselm. They're warring with the Nautolans now, so... some freighter pilots brought me here," the boy remarked. It was a bare bones and honest summary of everything Zak knew about himself. Or thought that he knew. "They thought it'd be safer here."

[member="Zak Dymo"]

Makai watched as the kid seemed to be thinking something over before settling on the fact he wasn't sure. The teenaged half-Galan shrugged off the comment of the kid not knowing - seemed like a typical answer someone around his age would give. Seemed an answer he would give nearly a decade ago.

As the young Nautolan spoke it was clear he was some type of refugee. Makai had heard about some turbulent struggle happening on the water world of Glee Anselm. He didn't know the finer details but it didn't seem like a place to be, especially for the innocent. Lucky for the pair of them Chariss existed. While the planet had its own problems there wasn't an outright war going on.

It didn't seem the kid had anyone to look out for him.

"Wow, that sucks. At least you got out though. Warzone ain't no place for a kid to be in." Makai looked down at the kid from his surfboard perch. "I'm staying at a place on the beach nearby. I can show you where...uh...its just me out here....You want to come over for dinner? I make an awesome grilled bluefish."

Makai ran a hand through his wet,unruly hair before a thought struck him.

"Oh, I'm Makai by the way."

Even as the teen spoke, the young Nautolan found he had a difficult time focusing.

His mind seemed like it was being pulled. Thoughts -- his own? someone elses? -- causing him to be momentarily overwhelmed with the feeling of deja vu. He kept seeing the face of the boy... of the young man... who was talking to him now. Except, he'd been talking to him then.

It was as if then was now.

Makai Dashiell said:
Makai was making a bee line closer to the edge of the water. Surf started to kick up on his sandy feet as he looked back to the teenage boy.

"Think you can actually surf this time?"
"...you want to come over for dinner? I make an awesome grilled bluefish."

",,,what?" the boy asked, obviously having not followed any of what had preceded that statement about food. But he heard the part about food. Because it was food. And this was Zak.

Then the boy's nose wrinkled as he made a face. "You cook seafood? Ewwwww..."

Grilled bluefish. Who even did that?

"Oh, I'm..."

Makai Dashiell said:
"Don't worry about it, you heard Zak."
"...Makai."

He said it the same time that the teen did. "I think I knew that," the young Nautolan confessed, even if he wasn't certain why he'd known it.

The child sank down a little lower in the water. This was scary. Frightening how he kept getting presented with these glimpses. As though seeing, for a moment, through someone else's eyes.

Makai Dashiell said:
"See you at the shore Theo!"
"But..." the boy began, rising up a little higher so that his mouth was out of the water. Looking the teen in the eye, the child asked "Makai... where's Theo?"

Who even was Theo?

Makai rolled his eyes at the Nautolan kid.Fine, if the kid wanted his bluefish raw then he would just whip something up that way for the boy. Either way he didn't want his new aquatic friend to disappear so quickly. After all they would have to go exploring coral reefs and whaladon pods.

As the teenage half-Galan was about to make the case for his grilled bluefish with tropical slaw the boy threw him for a loop, saying his name at the same time. Makai thought it was odd but it was possible to know who he was. His father was a famous salvager, Makai often went on salvage trips with his Dad. Some of these things were covered for Salvage Magazine. It wasn't totally out of the realm someone would know him - but less so way out in this area of space. Dashiells were more known to the East.

When the Nautolan kid asked where Thèo was startled him. There were only a small group of people who knew his friendship with old Teddy. So small of a group he could count them on one hand. Either way, Makai had to play it cool. This was a Nautolan kid....was it Zak Dymo's son? Makai wondered what a Nautolan-Near Human would look like....perhaps more Nautolan? He himself had a lot of aquatic traits.

"Are you [member="Zak Dymo"]'s son?"

"Are you Zak Dymo's son?"

The small Nautolan sank lower into the water for a moment.

He honestly didn't know how to answer that. Tilting his head back so that his mouth was out of the water, the frightened youngling said, "I think I am Zak Dymo."

That was probably a very weird statement.

"It says so on the tag," Rising up higher, the boy bent forward as he reached a hand back behind his head. He was tugging on the clothing tag sewn into the neck hem of the Jedi robes that he wore. The sleeveless piece had been custom fitted to him, the tag embroidered and personalized by someone named [member="Matsu Ike"].

That was someone else that Zak was probably supposed to know. Except he didn't.

Letting go of the tag, the boy just floated in the water for a moment.

"It was like this, wasn't it? You were in the water with me... and Theo was on the shore. With a surfboard," Zak recalled, as though trying to describe a dream. "We were trying to get him to come swim out with us."

[member="Makai Dashiell"]

Makai carefully took in the small boy who claimed he was [member="Zak Dymo"] . It wasn't the oddest thing he had heard. Heck he had just ended up fighting some weird Sith who could disappear into smoke and shape into various grotesque forms. Water lapped against his board, the only sound between the two as Makai tried to wrap his head around the entire thing.

Clone? Maybe. Some weird Force spirit in a new body? He had heard of that one before but as someone without the Force, wondered how it was possible. His father had told him longtime family friend Merrill had done something similar so it wasn't out of the realm of possibility in his world.

Makai gave a bright, boyish smile.

"Well then Zak, pleasure to meet you once again."

The teenage half-Galan nodded at the memory. Who had let all three run around on the beach alone he had no clue. It had been a good time, one where he and Zak had hit the waves while Teddy had seemed so unsure. It had cemented their entire 'aquatics stick together' thing.

"Yeah, we went surfing with Teddy. I was....nine or ten years old? I'm sixteen now. Its...been a bit."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom