Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Give me mandate ideas

Generic.

Elevator pitch.

This is not the thread you charles dickens post in. Points for creativity. Throw shit against the wall. Don’t debate lord. You’re bad at that. You’re good at creativity. I’m good at writing rules. Let’s work together.

I will start:

“A faction that can go full Voldemort by splitting its soul to ensure immortality.”

Corporate Acquisitions

This faction can only claim industrialized planets such as Mygeeto or Muunilinst.

I really like this one.

I also suggest, in the theme of throwing enough stuff at the wall some of it will eventually stick:

Confederacy of Independant Systems

"For every five droid submissions the faction submits, they can claim one free hex"

Infectious Ideals
"The sound of that voice telling you to stop, to go, to move. Telling you to die. Rings in the ear doesn't it?" -Luthen Rael, Andor
Strength:
  • This faction must designate a hex on the outer edge of its cloud as a starting point. From there, every month, a hex will be added traveling the path of least resistance around their capital.
  • If there is no room to expand, the hex declared must be on a adjacent major faction hex - triggering an invasion.

Weaknesses:
  • This faction may only invade adjacent hexes.
  • A faction choosing this mandate must have at least two other hexes connected to the capital.
  • This faction may not change its capital while the mandate is active.

Exodus
"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." – Unknown
Strengths:
  • Once per month, this Major Faction can claim 5 Hexes with a single dominion thread in any order or shape as long as 1 Hex is adjacent to their cloud.
  • When claiming space occupied by another Major an Invasion will be launched in an attempt to claim the hex, excluding enemy capitals which cannot be claimed.
  • Can be used to cloud break.
Weaknesses:
  • Once per month, this Major Faction must sacrifice 5 Hexes of their choosing to gain those annexed worlds.
  • If this faction fails an invasion launched by a claim from this mandate they lose 5 Hexes. Excluding the Major Faction's capital.

Problem: People keep asking for an influence cloud that can move.
Problem: Staff nor the community is going to keep up with a constantly moving cloud, the map's just not meant for it.
Problem: Both Staff and the community love the theme of a moving cloud, but it has to be cool and powerful enough to want to be picked by a thematic faction and actually utilized.

The Amani Serys Amani Serys & Darth Solipsis Darth Solipsis Remix, Vagrant Fleet v2.0

Eternal Fleet
"You can't go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending." -Unknown
Strength: Each time this Major Faction submits a Map Update, the Major Faction Owner may opt to move it's Major Faction Capital Hex up to two hexes away from its original starting position. If the target hex is owned by another Major Faction, unless it is the opposing Major Faction's Capital Hex, this Major Faction gains that hex.
Strength: Whenever this Major Faction moves its Major Faction Capital Hex, it gains all hexes not adjacent to it's Major Faction Capital Hex that do not belong to another Major Faction's influence cloud.
Strength: There is no limit on how many Invasions this Major Faction may simultaneously initiate.
Weakness: This Major Faction may not exceed more than 7 hexes, to include its Major Faction Capital Hex. If any event supercedes this due to another mandate, the Major Faction may not gain more hexes until it has fewer than 7.
Weakness: Whenever this Major Faction moves its Major Faction Capital Hex, it loses all hexes not adjacent to it's Major Faction Capital Hex.
Weakness: This Major Faction may only initiate Invasions on hexes adjacent to it's Major Faction Capital Hex.

What my submission accomplishes: a giant super hex led by its Capital hex that moves.

Why I think this is feasible: It gets stopped, unless the intent is to just move. But if its intention is to just arbitrarily move, it has to complete Map Update submissions (Dom, Junction, Invasion) to do so.

Why its cool: I believe, not sure, that its Invasion limit breaker is the biggest weapon on the forum so far. However, I dont see many factions wanting to initiate that many invasions at once regardless of neat mechanics.

Ways to use it: full out total war or a defender of other factions. Anyone who gets too close to this thing would be in a world of hurt if the roleplayers are active.

Why its not cool: very suicidal. To use its offensive abilities, it becomes very vulnerable.

———Blackened Valkyrie———
Factory Judge
Warriors Onslaught -

Your armies rally for war setting sights only forwards. The enemy fears our hoards for they will surge in waves of unforetold destruction. Leave the worlds barren of crop, and filled with creators as your applauding march pushes forwards.

Strength:
You attack in wide waves slashing not just at your enemy's heals but their wrists too. On successful Invasion attack Take 3 connecting hexes.
Weakness:
Endlessly pushing forwards leaves' your backlines weak for encirclement. On a defeated Invasion defence, the victor may turn 3 tiles in the shortest path to an adjacent border. In the event the cloud is split from the capital. Any extra hexes will turn neutral.

Very vague outline of an idea

Crusader Order

"The men who can defeat us have not yet been born." -Hermann von Balk

Feature: This faction must select a 'target hex' or planet at least 10 hexes away from its starting hex.

Strength: This faction may Dominion as many planets a month as it wants so long as it is towards 'Target Hex'.

Strength: No limit exists on how many Invasions this Major Faction may simultaneously initiate.

Weakness: This faction starts with only one hex

Weakness: When this faction loses an invasion, it loses up to four hexes that are not its capital.

Weakness: If this faction initiates a Dominion of a hex that is not on the path to the 'target hex', it may not commence any more dominions or any invasion that month.

Hegemonic League
“Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.”
― Thucydides

Strength:
  • This Major Faction can choose up to three Hexes, that must be within their territory, and designate them as Protectorate States under the control of a Minor/Sub Faction
  • They will be labeled on the Map as "League" of the Major (Ex. Coruscanti League, Mandoa League, etc).

Weaknesses:
  • The Protectorate States can only grow via Dominions marked as "League Dominions"
  • This Major Faction can only submit Three Dominions every Calendar Month
  • This Major Faction must choose if their allotted three Dominions will be used to increase their Territory or to increase a League's Territory
  • This Major Faction may be invaded additional times per Protectorate States present
  • If a Protectorate State becomes a Major Faction they may designate their former Hegemon as their Oppressor. (Starts with the Rebel Storm Mandate)

Just to throw an idea out there...

Last edited:
Problem: People want minor factions on the map.

Problem: Minor factions offer nothing of substance on the map.

Problem: Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn has a cool idea (as usual) but poor execution, that mandate will never be chosen. It's thematic but does not obey the philosophy of the rule of cool.

Problem: How do we get a minor faction themed Major Faction mandate on the map?

Problem: Why would a Major Faction want to substantially, in terms of a game function, interact with something that has no game function other than to become a Major Faction, ie minor factions.

Problem: Even credits (unofficially tefbucks) have a transactional value to some extent. Minor Factions are not governed by any limiting factor.

Problem: This is the same issue Rebellions ran into. Forcing minor factions to work as a game function will never, every, never work. I have given it my best attempt, and it didn't work then.

Solution: Don't integrate minor factions into mandates or any other map function. They are absolutely unequivocally without argument unregulated, and the entirety of the map game relies upon regulation. "So start regulating minor factions?" We do. They're called Major Factions. Regulation is literally the first and biggest difference. It starts with an application to the SWRP Staff Team, a form of regulation.

I want it, too, so I get it. I'm always looking for new pivot points, new objects in the system to expand our makeshift board game. But it is impossible. And I understand that the community will never understand, as I literally just had this discussion yet again in the Staff room, and the year is 2024. We have been having this conversation for 12 years. We’ll probably have it another 8. I get it. I want it too. It simply defies logic to waste time forcing it to happen.

Srina Talon Srina Talon

John Locke John Locke

Last edited:
Crusader Order

"The men who can defeat us have not yet been born." -Hermann von Balk

Feature: This faction must select a 'target hex' or planet at least 10 hexes away from its starting hex.

Strength: This faction may Dominion as many planets a month as it wants so long as it is towards 'Target Hex'.

Strength: No limit exists on how many Invasions this Major Faction may simultaneously initiate.

Weakness: This faction starts with only one hex

Weakness: When this faction loses an invasion, it loses up to four hexes that are not its capital.

Weakness: If this faction initiates a Dominion of a hex that is not on the path to the 'target hex', it may not commence any more dominions or any invasion that month.

Problem: This has promise but not in it's current form, I think. I think the mechanics technically work but it's just not cool enough to compete with the others.

Problem: What happens when it reaches its target hex?

Problem: What if the target hex does not belong to another faction? Just infinite dominions?

Solution: Think on this more, I will revisit it. I very much like the mechanic baseline of "Major faction that declares a target hex, and everything it does focuses on this hex." I think that is a good premise for a Mandate, and is an idea not currently employed by other mandates currently. Stay the path, this has juice, just needs more cooking.

Problem: Amelia von Sorenn Amelia von Sorenn has a cool idea (as usual) but poor execution, that mandate will never be chosen. It's thematic but does not obey the philosophy of the rule of cool.

Always good to be noticed. So here's another couple that kinda popped into my head...

Ghosts of Oblivion
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown" - H.P. Lovecraft

Feature: This Major Faction may choose a Hypergate or Wondrous Ruin as its Capital

Strengths:
  • This Major Faction may initiate Dominions on Hypergates or Wondrous Ruins, anywhere on the map, excluding Major Faction Capital Hexes.
  • Once every 60 Days, This Major Faction can expand an additional Cloud of their choosing by initiating a Dominion from that Cloud.
  • This Major Faction may launch Invasions through Hypergates.
  • They will be labeled on the Map as "Extension" of the Major. (Ex. Empire/Alliance/Sith Order).

Weakness:
  • These Additional Clouds can only grow once every 60 Days.
  • A Major Faction with this Mandate begins with only four Hexes instead of seven.
  • This Major Faction may have Invasions launched against it through Hypergates.
  • If the Mandate is changed all Additional Clouds are lost and the Hexes become Neutral; This Major Faction must choose a Planet as their new Capital.
  • If this Major Faction changes its Mandate, it may not choose this Mandate again until 120 Days have passed.

Extragalactic Horrors
"I have seen the dark universe yawning Where the black planets roll without aim, Where they roll in their horror unheeded, Without knowledge, or lustre, or name." - H.P. Lovecraft

Feature: This Major Faction does not have a Capital

Strengths:
  • This Major Faction chooses a point at the edge of the Map as its starting point and launches an Invasion of the Galaxy.
  • This Major Faction must move towards the nearest Major Faction from its Starting Point in the shortest route possible.
  • This Major Faction has no limit to Invasions it may declare.

Weaknesses:
  • This Major Faction may only initiate Dominions that create the shortest route to the nearest Major Faction.
  • If this Major Faction loses an Invasion they lose 2 Hexes of the winner's choosing.
  • This Major Faction may not reclaim lost Hexes for 30 days and must choose a new route to the nearest Major Faction.
  • After 150 Days have passed, this Major Faction's "Invasion of the Galaxy" has been defeated. This Major Faction may then choose a new Capital nearest to its Starting Point or may return to Minor Status. Any claimed adjacent Hexes are rendered Neutral.

Last edited:
Tefka Tefka it was indeed a half idea the other half I had not worked out completely. When it gets to its target it becomes a 'Crusader State' and the bonus would morph from offense to defense, likewise part of the weakness was it was required to keep the mandate for a certain period without changing. If the target hex is not owned by a major faction when they reach they still morph from 'order' to 'state' once they arrive at the target hex.

Crusader State

"If they wish to fight today, let them come like men." -Bohemond I of Antioch

Feature: When a Crusader Order reaches its targeted hex, it automatically becomes a Crusader State. It must remain a Crusader State for at least Six months before changing mandates.

Strength: The target hex becomes a 'second capital' for a Crusader State, if a Crusader State influence cloud is cut it does lose any territory as long it is connected to one of its two capitals.

Strength: Major factions can only invade a crusade state if their influence cloud borders the influence of the Crusader State.

Strength: A Crusader State can only be invaded on its border hexes, and can never lose more than a hex due to an invasion.

Weakness: A crusade state cannot move its capital or second capital.

Weakness: A crusader state can only make two Dominion/Populate threads a month or an Invasion.

Weakness: A crusader state can only invade a neighboring faction's hex that borders its own. It can only declare an invasion on one border hex.

The Tefka/Kentarch Remix - Darth Apophion Darth Apophion
Deus Vult
"If they wish to fight today, let them come like men." -Bohemond of Antioch

Feature: Upon selection of this mandate, the Major Faction names a Target Hex located ten or more hexes away from a hex owned by this Major Faction. This hex is then listed under its Mandate on the Mandate Update thread.

Strength: This Major Faction may initiate or partake in as many PvE/PvP threads at any time so long as it would result in a hex gained towards the Target Hex. This must adhere to a logical path of least resistance, as determined by the SWRP Staff Team, and cannot take a path already taken by an active thread that has not yet been completed by this Major Faction.
Strength: If the Target Hex is gained by this Major Faction's influence cloud, the hex becomes this Major Faction's Capital Hex.

Weakness: When this Major Faction loses an Invasion, it loses four hexes, starting from hex furthest from it's Major Faction Capital Hex. It may not lose it's Major Faction Capital Hex in this manner, unless its Major Faction Capital Hex was targeted.
Weakness: This Major Faction may not choose to change it's Major Faction Capital Hex.
Weakness: This Major Faction must change Mandates if the Target Hex is this Major Faction's Capital Hex, and may never select this Mandate again.

Reason why this works for me: It's obviously super powerful and can challenge even the most powerful mandates created as the most "offensive", if not already. This creates a strong thematic urge of a faction, one thats been selected by faction identity's several times before.

1. Super offensive. This faction can initiate an infinite number of invasions so long as they bring them closer to the target hex. Due to the limitations of the strength, though, Staff Team can stop or force limitations. Also, it has to do it in bulk simultaenous barrages - once it starts a thread down a path, it can only take other paths that would bring it closer to the Target Hex in the same fashion. For example, if an Invasion would take it two hexes away, it cannot then perform a Dominion. To min max, they would probably start a Dominion first, then Invade two hexes away.

2. It's a one stop shop. Once this mandate is used, it cannot be reused. The only loophole is, they could then change their Capital - but Staff could not honor the request, or delay it, depending.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom