Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Gilded Stars

lLLClta.png

Desric Terassi Desric Terassi

Could you be homesick for a concept?

While Cora missed her family (mostly her siblings) dearly, she'd also found adjusting to the more spartan lifestyle of a Jedi…challenging. The invitation to Desric's luxury yacht was most welcome, and she'd accepted gratefully with a bit of internal trepidation due to the implication of being alone with a young man.

It wasn't as if they'd be entirely alone, she had reasoned. Surely a yacht of this size would be staffed with attendants. And although Desric appeared fond of teasing her, he'd done so without malice or any hint of indecency.

He'd been gracious regarding her atrocious karaoke performance, too. That was certainly ammunition for anyone who wanted to embarrass the wealthy Padawan, though Cora figured that the splitting headache and raw throat she'd woken up to had been punishment enough. Not to mention the several classmates who'd dropped the video surreptitiously into her direct messages.

"You've good taste." She remarked as they strolled along the exterior observation deck. While the Coruscanti temple was modern and held its own monastic charm, it couldn't compare to the opulent aesthetics of the yacht. Sometimes, gliding though the stars was preferable to lightsaber training.

"I must thank you again for the invitation, Desric. I believe I missed you at the Charity Gala on Hapes-"

She'd gotten his message alright.

"Believe it or not, we were working as undercover security that night. I would've stopped by to say hello, but given the circumstances…"

A terrorist attack on Coruscant by the mysterious New Way had put them on high alert. Still, her tone was light, as the force-hating group felt like little more than a conversation piece.

lLLClta.png

Last edited:
As it turned out, the yacht was not, in fact, staffed by a crew of organic attendants.

Instead, Desric had opted for a small army of servant droids coordinated by his assistant Cadence.

"Thank you; it is modelled first and foremost on Serennian designs." Homey to him, even if the poor would probably view some of the choices and priorities as pretentious as best. "Think nothing of it - what is the point of having a spacious residence if one does not entertain the odd guest?" Force knows he had the space for it.

Raising an eyebrow at that, he led the way to a luxurious main lounge; Scions were standing by to fulfil any requests, whether for beverages (of the nonalcoholic variety, presumably), snacks, or really anything else.

The yacht was not lacking in amenities - even clothing could be produced in short order.

"Undercover security, you say? Sounds exciting, though I suspect it amounts to an awful lot of watching?"

Cora gave a soft, polite laugh.

"Yes, and the watching can get particularly tedious. I'm just glad that nothing urgent happened at the event itself."

Force knows that she wouldn't have been able to respond swiftly in the dress she had chosen. Functionality was nice and all, but not when you had to sacrifice form in it's place. Especially at a gala! Next time, she would attend as a guest and spent the night dancing, sipping vintage wine and partaking in tiny, delicate appetizers.

"I would have liked to get a dance or two in. Alas, duty called." A wistful sigh drifted past Cora's lips, but her gracious smile indicated that she was perhaps being a bit dramatic.

"How go your classes with the Golden Order?"

"As am I." As far as Desric was concerned, discretion was the better part of valour.

"Such is life. Another time, perhaps?" Another man might have offered her a dance right there and now - goodness knows the lounge was big enough - but that would have been borderline uncouth. He was a noble, not some scoundrel.

"Rather well, I would say." His words were soft, but backed up by a kind of 'flaring of the aura' - his presence extending as if to demand attention before contracting again. "Mainly tricks and showmanship, mind you. It is too early for more advanced techniques and I am certainly not one to focus on combat and the like. How about you?"

He had no doubt she was advancing faster than him, but that was to be expected. More of her time was dedicated to her training - and he got the distinct impression she faced more pressure by far from home.

“Another time.” She affirmed with a nod and a shy smile.

Cora's gaze slid to Desric—perhaps knowingly—arching a brow as his presence flared for a moment. Even for tricks and showmanship, he seemed to have good control over the Force.

"I'm glad to hear that you're doing well in your lessons." There certainly were days when she wondered what it would have been like if she'd pursued the Golden Order instead of the New Jedi Order, especially after browsing their course catalog online. Maybe she'd be able to audit a class in the future…

"Ah, my lessons have been…" Her gaze shifted to somewhere above them, searching for the proper way to phrase this. Intense sounded uncouth, even if she did spend her days sweating off her favorite perfume in sparring, or foraging for food and shelter during survival training in which she'd not been allowed to bring hair products. "Profound." She decided on.

Her eyes caught one of the Scions from the corner of her vision on the way back down, and for a moment her stare lingered. While humanoid in appearance, closer observation revealed synthetic skin.

"I do enjoy lightsaber training, even if being struck does sting." She'd accumulated dozens of mild scorch marks over her body at this point, all of which would fade in time. "It reminds me of the time I've spent fencing at home. I daresay it helped me build a solid foundation for lightsaber wielding, even if they do have their differences."

Last edited:
A weighty 'profound'? He got a distinct impression there was plenty of struggle to go along with the enlightenment and inner peace, or whatever it was Jedi teachings were meant to confer. Whatever the case, it had seemed far too disciplined for him. He much prefered a calm, academic environment where people advanced at their own pace.

"I see. Sounds rewarding, yet challenging." He doubted the Jedi had remained a dominant Force Order for nothing.

"Hah, I can image," He chuckled, the slightest hint of a wince crossing his features. They certainly looked like they stung. He did not want to see what happened when the training mode was flipped off. "I have heard there are some similarities, especially with regard to some of the more elegant forms. I fence myself, actually. I like to think I am rather good at it."

Nodding towards the rear of the ship, he smiled. "I have a dojo of sorts onboard. Next to the swimming pool."

"Oh yes. I find form I, Shii-Cho, to be the most similar. Still, I've much to learn about lightsaber combat!"

Hand to her chin, Cora ruminated quietly on the similarities that fencing and lightsaber combat shared. She’d done well in her saber classes, but hadn’t been able to hold a candle to some of the more martially minded Padawans. Particularly Jand Talo Jand Talo who’d wiped the floor with her. She perked up when Desric mentioned his own familiarity with fencing.

"Really?" She turned to him in surprise, more so in regard there being a dojo on board. Desric's interest in fencing hadn't come as much of a surprise—it was a sport favored by nobility for its cleanliness and precision. Even her conservative father had approved of Cora taking lessons in the hope that his daughter would become a more well-rounded prospect.

The fact that there was a dojo on the super yacht should not have come as a surprise either, if she'd thought about it more.

"Would you perhaps be interested in a friendly spar, Desric?"

Though she held herself in a typically refined manner, there was an unmistakable spark of eagerness in her eyes.

"Fascinating," He said - and he meant it. He just had no desire to be personally involved in conflicts martial conflicts. "Form I, you say? I would have thought Form II - Makashi," Only the briefest of pauses marked him pulling in external data. "- would have more in common with fencing." He had heard of 'the most elegant Form of Lightsaber Combat'.

He just needed a bit of help remembering the details and pronunciation.

Gazing at her assessingly in response to her question, he hesitated for a few moments on account of her eagerness, then took her measurements with his eyes. "Why not. Let us see how those Jedi teachings translate to sport... I trust you are not planning to throw me about with the Force?" Already, Cadence was spinning up an attire tailored for Cora.

It would not do for a guest to wear a 'one size fits all' in his yacht.

"Shall we?" He gestured towards a door, which slid open in response.

After some thought, Cora's head tilted in an acquiescent nod.

"You do have a point. While Shii-Cho utilizes some of the same basic forms in fencing, I do find that the flow transfers better to Makashi, the dueling form."

At least in her opinion, anyway. The most difficult part for Cora had been learning to re-balance her weapon—fencing swords were heavier than lightsabers, which carried all of the weight in their hilt.

The other difficult part was being sorely outclassed by the older Padawans, many of whom had fought Sith or Imperials on the battlefield. Cora had yet to be thrown into war, and did not relish the day when she'd be forced to attack or defend against a true enemy and not a training droid.

She nodded brightly to Desric’s agreement. “Oh, perish the thought! The Force has no place in a friendly fencing duel.”

Other aspects of Jedi combat would not be beholden to the same rule, perhaps.

Already rolling her shoulders in preparation, she followed Desric through the door.

"It certainly looks similar," He said, looking thoughtful. "I imagine wrist control is all the more important?"

The weight difference would sharply impact one's fighting style, but once compensated for the speed must be blistering.

"Lovely. Then I look forward to a test of skill." He would not be surprised to lose, but he had no intention of giving her an easy win. A warrior he was not, but he had done rather well in a few regional fencing tournaments.

His eyes gave him another edge. Predictive kinetic models and all that.

After passing through an elegant corridor and taking a turn or two, they found themselves within his 'dojo' - it was large and elegant, with luxurious lumiwood panelling and a slightly lowered practice area made off some sort of off-grey kinetic material designed to provide secure footing while dampening any falls. The walls held various weapons.

Gesturing at a wall, two segments of panelling folded away to reveal a pair of rooms. "Changing rooms. Yours is to the right; Cadence just now finished synthesising an attire for you. It should fit you perfectly."

While following Desric through the corridors, Cora took the time to size him up. She hadn't looked at her fellow aristocrat as an opponent before—and now, she was noticing his size in a new light. Far taller than her, he'd have the advantage of an enhanced wingspan. That, and she had no idea how well trained Desric was, or how often he practiced.

Idly, she worried that training with a lightsaber would dull her speed—she'd grown used to wielding an effectively weightless blade, rather than something more balanced like a fencing saber. She'd have to rely on her reflexes, it seemed.

Despite being informed ahead of time, the noble Padawan was still surprised to discover just how well the neatly folded outfit in the changing room fit her. As she pulled on the provided jacket and secured the neck collar, Cora sighed out loud.

"Oh Cadence, if only I could have you tailor all of my clothing."

Dressed and ready for (friendly) combat, she exited the changing room and drifted towards the wall of weaponry.

"I didn't realize that you were a collector, Desric." Hand to her chin, Cora's head tilted to the side as she appraised what she could. There was quite an impressive assortment of sabers, foils and épée lining the dojo. "Are most of them for decoration, or do they see regular use?”

Turning to Desric, she smiled.

"This outfit Cadece fabricated fits incredibly well. How did she manage such a feat?"

"I'm just using a standard software/hardware combination. I can send you the details if you like?" Convention had it that changing rooms should be entirely private, but Desric wanted Cadence in every room, at every time.

What was the point of having an omnipresent assistant if she was not truly omnipresent?

Desric was lightly stretching as Cora returned, having swapped outfits quickly with droid assistance. At her question, he gave the weapons a glance before chuckling. "A little column A, a little column B. I know how to use all the fencing swords but prefer the foil. The rest are just decoration - or variety." Every once in a while he did something different.

Not competently, mind you; sometimes he just felt like swinging around something heavier.

"Glad to hear it," Desric said, smiling warmly. "She used the measurements I sent her. 'One size fits all' is nonsense." He tapped the size of his head, next to his right eye, in case there was any confusion as to the source.

At Cadence's response, Cora blinked and halted in place. Had she been expecting a response? She herself wasn't sure.

"Ah...that is very kind of you, Cadence, but I'm afraid that I'm not that technologically inclined. I fear that your thoughtful gesture would be wasted on me."

Back at the interior of the dojo, Cora nodded along with Desric's explanation. He was well versed enough to have a preferred implement, which was telling. "Impressive, in any event." She gestured to the wall of weaponry. "I tend to favor the sabre, myself. I am proficient with the foil, though—perhaps that is what we should use today, if it suits you?"

Her polite smile nearly twitched with a moment of unease with the mention of Cadence using Cora's measurements, courtesy of Desric himself. "I...see." Her amiable expression didn't waver, though she did find her arms crossing over her chest in a subtle gesture of defense. "How clever. I humbly request that you delete any data you have regarding my...ahem, body." Her voice squeaked at the end, and she attempted to play it off by clearing her throat.

Even if he hadn't been trying to unbalance her, it wasn't difficult for Cora to feel a flush of embarrassment. Her gaze slid from Desric back to the wall, eyeing the weapons there with a renewed interest.

"The foil it is, then." He gave her another assessing look. Confident, are we? He would imagine her lightsaber practice would translate better to the sabre as well - which meant she was quite willing to handicap herself.

It remained to be seen whether that confidence was earned or not.

At her reaction to his other statement, his own smile twitched to match. Ah, of course. "My apologies, I did not realise that you would mind. The data is rather boring, I assure you." He briefly considered showing it to her, but thought better of it; to know just how precise the measurements were would likely only cause further discomfort.

"Cadence, delete it please." An instant after he uttered the request, a calm "Done." was heard.

With a lazy gesture from Desric, a pair of foils were pulled from the wall by hardlight hands, one being handed to each of them. Swinging it experimentally, he glanced at Cora. "Do you need time to get acquainted?"

Did he just insinuate that data regarding my body is boring?

A brief flush of pink dusted her cheeks, and she elected not to push the matter further. There wasn't much left to discuss as he'd acquiesced kindly to her request.

Instead, some of the tension eased from her smile. "Thank you, Desric, Cadence."

Cora tested the weight of the foil in her hand, turning to the side and giving it a few test swings and thrusts. As familiar as wielding a lightsaber had become, it was good to work with a weapon she'd first learned to fight with.

"This will do nicely." She decided.

Once they were settled with their respective weapons, the pair made their way onto the dojo floor. As Cora slipped the mask over her face, Desric might catch the mischievous glint in her eyes. Right foot forward, knees bent, elbow extended partially from her hip line, Cora pointed her foil at Desric and assume the en garde position.

"Best of luck, Desric." She called out pleasantly.

A blush at the mere mention of impersonal data? Clearly, not showing it to her had been for the best.

Putting on his mask, Desric slid into a similar position, his weapon pointed towards Cora while his body - wrist and feet in particular - was relaxed and then tensed in anticipation of rapid movement. "Likewise. May the best fencer win."

After signalling his intent out of a sense of politeness, Desric became the first to strike. Opting for a series of thrusts aimed at her centre of mass, he sought to ascertain her form without giving away too much. Naturally, he kept his distance, using his greater reach for all it was worth - hopefully, it would conceal his own strengths and weaknesses.

More importantly, he was confident she had something tricksy in mind. A Jedi move, perhaps.

While he was alert for unusual acrobatics and lightning-fast thrusts, it never occurred to him that she might fight dirty. That was all but unthinkable in a friendly bout between respectable beings of high standing.

Even if they had technically never agreed to follow any particular set of rules.

He was good. Desric's movements were nimble and practiced, evidence of his skill in handling a foil.

Cora skittered back, shifting her footing and body weight to avoid what she could of Desric's probing strikes, intercepting his last thrust with her weapon and batting his foil away.

"Not bad!" She chirped, perhaps a little brighter than usual. She and Desric had gotten along well, but his penchant for teasing her was still in the back of Cora's mind. Even the notion of him having purely clinical calculations regarding her body had caused her to blush, surely he would understand how that was embarrassing?

As much time she'd spent in polite fencing matches with the upper echelons of the galaxy, the only weapon she'd been handing for the past few months had been a lightsaber. Though they had some basic similarities, the rules were different when handling either implement. The lines could easily be blurred, or so she thought.

That was how Cora found herself aiming a pointed thrust for Desric's right shoulder before feinting to the left, nearly stepping though him as she swept for his leg with her own. At the same time, her foil would come down on him in a wide, overhead strike.

Oops.

As they exchanged thrusts, parries, and assorted swordsmanship, Desric found himself enjoying the experience. It had been a while since he had fenced with anyone but Cadence - perhaps he should visit a club on Coruscant, or maybe Arcadia.

"You are not-" Parry, thrust, pull back, push forward. "- half bad yourself."

The grin that was visible through the transparent mask he favoured froze as she started behaving unexpectedly. The feint was solid yet normal, but the close-in movement was a bit off. Still, her overhead blow missed him entirely.

Albeit primarily because he toppled backwards onto his back as she swept a leg out from under him.

Blinking in confusion, he looked up at her. "Ouch. Watch the feet, Corazona - one might think you were trying to trip me!" He had expected better from someone trained in both classical fencing and, in all likelihood, formal dancing.

"Ah…"

Cora wasn't sure if Desric would be able to see her bashful grin through the mesh of the mask, but he'd likely get the picture with the way she rubbed at the back of her head.

"My apologies, Desric-" With the foil tucked between her arm, Cora extended a hand. Was she really sorry? Instinct had kicked in after training so consistently with a lightsaber that she'd forgotten the proper fencing etiquette. She'd felt bad for tripping her fencing partner, especially after he'd been so welcoming.

...even if it had felt rather gratifying to knock Desric down after how many times he'd teased her.

"I believe that is a fault for me, then." Once Desric was back up on his feet, Cora readjusted the grip on her foil. The fault hadn't bothered her as much as she thought it would. This was, after all, a friendly match.

"Shall we continue? Or perhaps you would like a short break."

She certainly seemed apologetic, but Desric was not entirely convinced. It was entirely plausible that it had just been Jedi training kicking in, but given the impression he had been getting before the match started, it seemed unlikely.

Still, he was not one to start throwing accusations about willy-nilly.

After a momentary pause, he took her hand, allowing her to pull him to his feet. "Quite. The Jedi certainly train you for aggression!" Which was to be expected, to be fair, given that their training was aimed towards actual warfare. An inevitable yet distasteful prospect, in this age of instability and uncivil conflict.

"No need. I am more than capable of continuing."

As he assumed a fencer's stance once more, he simultaneously activated certain predictive kinetic models built into his eyes, with a particular emphasis on her feet and 'spare arm' - not body parts he would normally associate with fencing, but he would not put it past her to make another 'mistake'. Assuming the first was intentional.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom