Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Get Out of Town | Dyrn

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The security stand-down codes had been given.

When Lady Fortan began to glare, the Bothan tried to shrink back. Dyrn kept his gloved hand firmly in place, as he pressed his fingers into the alien's shoulder tighter, to keep him right where he needed to be. There was no escaping the fury that was to come. Spies tended to be cowardly, they aimed to avoid confrontation, but this particular one would wear every proverbial lashing he deserved. The Guardsman stood silent, unmoving, as he watched the Supreme Leader in the doorway to the storage bay, dressed in her casual evening wear; yet, despite that, there was no decline in her authority, as Lady Fortan began to speak at Mr. Bazzi. Beneath the helmet, Dyrn's calm eyes watched Lady Fortan pace, as he listened and held his grip.

The holo-vids didn't do the Supreme Leader justice.

Lady Fortan's gaze was scathing, her words sharp, and the underlying rage contained beneath controlled calm like a force of nature about to break open the skies. The Guard Captain had been through a lot in his life, battles and war, but even he had a small part of him that was grateful to not be on the receiving end like Mr. Bazzi. Needless to say, the Bothan had been reduced to a near-whimpering mess, as the alien bowed his head and looked to the ground, his clawed hands wringing around one another. The changes in the Bothan's body heat, seen through Dyrn's heightened vision and helmet displays, told him of the embarrassment the alien felt. Mr. Bazzi's face was presumably bright red beneath his fur.

As the Guardsman watched his charge walk closer, so too did Dyrn's gloved grip tighten again on the Bothan's shoulder - the pressure enough to make the alien squirm - to remind him to remain still, and not to try anything. Everything Lady Fortan said sounded like experience, as she must have had similar attempts in the past, and Dyrn supposed that was what allowed her to list off the detestable possibilities so easily. That and she was a natural speaker, able to communicate in any number of ways, but always with feeling and gravitas. Then when it came to the children, Dyrn noticed a change in Lady Fortan, as all that previously boiling rage suddenly gave way to... nothing. Ice cold. If looks could kill, the Bothan would have died a hundred times over...

Something's... different now... something changed just now.

The Guard Captain narrowed his eyes inside the helmet, as he watched the Supreme Leader fall silent, after intensely defending her family's privacy and respectfulness, as was her right. But then... well, Dyrn didn't know exactly, but her mannerisms spoke volumes and whatever demeanor Lady Fortan now displayed it had never been seen by the Guardsman before. Not from the holo-vids, not from the training studies, nothing like the woman he now saw before him from before her death. That made him wonder, but about what he didn't know exactly, it was more a instinct from a sentient trained and honed to observe literal crowds of people in microseconds...

Mr. Chamberlain reached the three, accompanied by another crew member, and seemed confused by the summons. Lady Fortan looked to Dyrn and excused herself, but not before passing those cold eyes over the Bothan one last time. <"Yes, your Excellency."> Dyrn said with a bow of his head, as he watched her leave for the office. <"Captain, you have a blackmailing criminal on board. Mr. Bazzi has been caught involved in planting listening devices, attempting to spy on your clients, for his own financial gain.">

"Really, Captain Grav? I'm... shocked. I had no idea! F'zoza, what do you have to say for yourself?" The ship Captain looked appalled. "Well?!"

"I-I'm sorry, Captain, I just, I needed more credits, for... for debts," Mr. Bazzi said with his head still low. "I--"

<"Enough."> The Guardsman said loudly. He pushed the Bothan toward the ship Captain. <"You heard the Supreme Leader of the First Order. Restrain your duplicitous co-pilot, do not allow him any form of free reign or to be unsupervised. If he takes any action other than being under ship arrest, I will hold you personally accountable, Captain. Do you understand?">

Mr. Chamberlain nodded, as he grabbed the Bothan roughly by the collar. The other crew member grabbed one of Mr. Bazzi's arms, as the pair started to lead him deeper into the storage area. "Yes sir, we'll lock him in wild life cage, and I'll post Mr. Anders here for the first shift. You won't see him again, he won't leave this area of the vessel, you have my word. Please express my deepest apologies to your Supreme Leader, we honestly had no idea."

The Guardsman stalked out of the bay, his large form made even larger by the flowing cloak. <"As you say, Captain. Remember: personally responsible. Also, send another desk chair - not that one there - to the office. Leave it outside the door, knock twice, then go."> Dyrn said in a growl of a voice, as his helmet vocalizer ground out the words, making them sound guttural. Without pause, the Royal Guard continued on his way along the corridor, until he stood near the office. He stood there, as he thought about that last visage of Lady Fortan.

She had been... not what I have seen in training. I don't know what that was.

In order to buy himself time to compartmentalize, Dyrn pulled out the device scanner and started to do another sweep of the area outside the office. He wanted to be thorough, to leave no chance of mistakes, and to stall a moment or two until he could compose his thoughts...

FO_spacer_thin.png

Armored knuckles reached up to knock on the office door. The Guardsman placed the scanner back on his belt with his other hand. The ship was clean, for certain. After a few moments, Dyrn stepped forward and the office door opened, allowing him inside. He immediately saw the Supreme Leader off to one side of the room, on the sofa, with the papers from the dispatch box nearby. She looked calmer, but still agitated, as the particolored blues of hyperspace cast her in a glow from the viewport. Dyrn looked at her for a moment, legs under the blanket, appearing so informal and unceremonious in her personal evening wear. He probably looked for a little too long, truth be told...

And to think she claimed to be unflattering, with no makeup and lack of sleep.

The Guardsman blinked and reached up, as he unsealed the helmet and pulled it free from around his head. The office doors closed, locked with a press of the panel by Dyrn, before he slowly walked over and stopped a few meters from where Natasi sat. He glanced down to the paperwork with his oddly colored eyes, before he looked back up to her face, seeking out her deep brown eyes. He slipped the helmet under an arm before he spoke.

"It has been handled, your Majesty," The Guard Captain said in a quiet voice, but he furrowed his eyebrows before he continued. "But... Lady Fortan, are you all right? I don't mean the Bothan, and I don't mean to pry, I just... I'm here, for whatever you need, ma'am."

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

skin, bone, and arrogance

When a rap came at the door, Banks stood, her reflexes sharp as ever. Low power state indeed, Natasi mused with an internal smirk. "Enter," Natasi called, knowing that it must be Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav ; she was not disappointed. Natasi looked up and beckoned Grav to enter, instinctively straightening herself up now that she was in company. She stood and worked her feet back into her shoes before returning to the sofa, although this time in a less-relaxed repose, sitting up straight and adopting a duchess slant allowing her to rest the box on her knees.

"Thank you so much for taking care of that unpleasantness," said Natasi quietly in response to his report. He went on to question her well-being. Perhaps his species' rules of vision had allowed him to detect the distress that she had felt nearly losing control of herself in her anger. Or perhaps she was just not the actress she thought she was. Natasi was painfully aware of Banks' presence in the room. The topic was too intimate for Banks -- Banks, who had seen her naked. That surely said something. Pas devant les domestiques, the memory of her mother's voice sounded in her mind, and Natasi had to agree. "Banks, you may leave us. Please see that my ensemble for tomorrow is ready, then you may retire."

Banks curtsied and then left, locking the door behind her. Natasi reached over to the small side table and switched on the lamp, bathing the area in a warm golden glow. "I won't insult you by pretending not to know what you're asking," Natasi said grimly, looking up at the Guardsman. She hesitated, somewhere between confession and denial. Was it really his business, when it came down to it? But of course it was. He needed to be able to protect her, and that meant all of her. Besides, she had to trust his discretion. If Grav could not be trusted, after all the vetting that he went through, all the trials and tribulations it took to reach his position, then who could?

She closed the box and placed her hands on it, studying Grav for a moment as she considered how to proceed. Finally, she took a breath and said: "I became aware shortly after my resurrection that I returned from the Netherworld with the burdensome gift of a sensitivity to the Force." This still felt like anathema to her, as a life-long Equilibrate, but it was no use denying the reality. "I have taken some instruction from a friend with the same gift, but my control over it is not complete, not by a long shot. I have trouble controlling it -- particularly when I am experiencing strong emotions. For instance, the fiery rage of a thousand burning supernovas I feel when my children are threatened."

Natasi offered him an apologetic smile. "I needed to remove myself from the situation before I did something that I would come to regret. I'm all for holding him accountable for this crime, but killing him would be, perhaps, slightly disproportionate to the crime. Don't you think?"
DAc3GdD.png

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Supreme Leader adjusted on the sofa, as she slipped on her shoes and sat upright with legs together and the red box placed neatly on knees. After Lady Fortan had thanked the Guardsman for handling the Bothan situation, Dyrn nodded in response, as it wasn't necessary, but it was appreciated. Then Banks, who had been in a low-power state nearby, appeared to power up and was excused by the Supreme Leader. The HRD curtsied then exited the office, the door locking in her wake, before Supreme Leader and bodyguard were alone.

Dyrn thought back over the course of the last handful of hours, with the high levels of tension, threat, uncertainty, betrayal; it had been a long day by anyone's summation. And that was only since boarding the starship. But that was what the Royal Guard were trained to do. They would push against any obstacle, unrelenting, to clear a path for the Supreme Leader. So it remained that, despite an arguably typical day in a highly placed political leader's life, the Guard Captain waited on her leisure without word, a silent sentinel that stood at attention ready for the next task.

The lamplight brought a warmth to the otherwise cold room, and basked the pair in a glow. Dyrn had expressed his availability as a confidant, if it was needed, and his previous statement had been a reminder. Not that he presumed Lady Fortan had forgotten, but that she might have felt the offer had been more a dutiful addition than a genuine one. And the Guardsman couldn't help but think back to what he had seen from her, in that storage bay, the feeling of almost a complete personality shift. Dyrn's thoughts were interrupted as Lady Fortan began to speak again, to which his bright eyes looked down at her and he listened.

Whatever it was, it seems the Supreme Leader is aware.

The level of trust shown by his charge only helped to reinforce his dedication, as the Guardsman nodded to the opening words. There was no insult, none at all, as Dyrn remained unphased by the comment and listened attentively. What came next, however, was... considerably more surprising. Shocking, even. The Guardsman's eyes narrowed slightly as Lady Fortain shared the knowledge of her Force Sensitivity. He remained quiet, and did his best not to make presumption, but the information had not been expected. In truth, Dyrn had thought maybe some kind of trauma response to Lady Fortan's ordeal had been responsible for a shift in personality under certain circumstances, especially after being brought back to life... but to come back from the Netherworld, with a connection to the Force? Well... hm. Lady Fortan went on to explain more, before sharing the reason for leaving the spy situation, especially with her children being potential targets.

"I understand the decision, your Majesty," Dyrn said slowly, as he nodded. He kept his face passive, neutral, as he processed the information. "You do not need to justify your choices to me, ma'am. If I were in that situation, I would have done the same, I believe. As for the Force... well... I won't pretend to understand the mysticism behind that on any personal level, or your resurrection for that matter, only that learning to control it is imperative. For you, your children."

The Guard Captain frowned then, as he looked down and thought.

"I have been trained in martial arts and combat methods that have connections to the Force, but obviously being non-Force Sensitive, there was only so much I could learn. It seems more important to me now, especially now, that we begin self-defense lessons... and with your permission, I would like to expand the scope of those lessons to also include the mental and emotional disciplines, rather than purely physical reaction like previously planned. It will help focus your mind, your body and your emotions, which could lead to improved restraint with the Force."

It seemed the initial plan for self-defense had altered, somewhat considerably. There had been notions of simple maneuvers and training to account for unexpected personal attack, aimed purely at muscle memory, but now that seemed to be too unrefined for what Lady Fortan needed. No, the Supreme Leader needed a martial arts discipline, one that she could devote a portion of learning and continued development toward. It now went from a few months of training, to many years, if not a lifetime... but what other option was there? Dyrn couldn't trust Lady Fortan's development to another Force User, that was dangerous and had far too many variables. What if she became evil, like the Sith? The First Order would be in dire conflict, with its stances on the... dark side? Evil side? It didn't matter.

"Who is your Force guide, your Excellency? I request to meet this sentient, as time permits."

Dyrn now had to expand his protection to the mystical.

Just another day, like any other.

Perhaps it was the lateness of the hour or the stress of her encounter with the Bothan, but Natasi was feeling slightly less cooperative than earlier in the evening. Not that it wasn't Grav's business who her associates were; it was clear by then that he would need to be apprised of her comings and goings, even the most intimate of connections. Natasi suspected he would be clearing her public and private schedules before even she saw them. But the assumption made, that the Supreme Leader had committed to some form of training with one specific -- well, Master wasn't quite the term when one signed one's name with Regina Imperatrix after it, was it? She allowed her gaze to linger on Grav for a brief moment before she lowered her gaze to make another slashing NRI across the bottom of the page she was reviewing.

"You'll find I'm always interested in your ideas as to what would be best for me to know and to learn to protect myself," said Natasi as she tucked the page away in the red box and looked up at Grav again. Her lips turned up at the edges; the thought amused her. She was a decent shot with a blaster, but hopeless at just about anything else as far as combat went. Her strengths were in avoiding it. She was agile and light on her feet, springy of step and difficult to hit. "That all being said," she went on, introducing a note of caution to the proceedings, "If you'll forgive me, I'm going to keep that piece of information rather close to my chest for the time being. I'm afraid I've not yet committed myself to any particular school of training, so my studies have been mostly self-guided and neutral, but not exclusively so. I would hate to get this person's life under a microscope when there's no call for it."

The Supreme Leader looked into the handsome, subtly scarred visage of the Guardsman. Waiting to see if he would contradict her. Trying to decide what her own reaction would be if he did. Hoping her rebuff would not cause a rift if he didn't. After a moment, she again lowered her gaze and scanned the next document in her box. She was reaching the end of the pile, after which she could rest. This was a proclamation naming a school. Below my paygrade, Natasi thought, but initialed it nonetheless and tucked it into the box.

She picked up her teacup and saucer and lifted both before taking a sip of her tea, still steaming. Once she had taken her drink, she looked up at Grav. "I do apologize, where are my manners? Do you care for something to drink? The galley is open at all hours, I could order something for you. Or you can help yourself whenever you like." She set the cup and saucer down gently on the side table and looked back up to Grav.

"Before I forget -- again," Natasi added earnestly. "Banks arranged a stateroom for you, just down the hall from mine, actually. It's, ummm." She reached for the small envelope containing the keycard on the table and flipped it around to read the writing. "Cabin number 4." She held out the keycard to him and smiled brightly. "The Horsemen thought they would create a security checkpoint at the junction of that corridor, if that should meet with your approval. And we should be getting to Galidraan in half a day's time. The sooner the better, in my opinion. I've rather gone off chartered travel, would you believe?"

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The Guardsman could see the mind working behind Lady Fortan's eyes. They held the stare for a moment, before she looked down to sign another piece of paper that approved something in the First Order somewhere. That information was beyond the scope of Dyrn's purview, since that was on a different level to personal protection and security, so he paid little mind to the red box. When Lady Fortan began to speak, expressing interest in hearing what Dyrn thought best for her well-being, the subsequent but was heard coming from a mile away.

Hm.

As it turned out, the Supreme Leader felt more comfortable not sharing the information about her Force training guide. The Guard Captain remained unmoving, as his eyes hardened, but he otherwise maintained his manner. On one hand, he could understand that the care for a microscope to be thrust onto the individual-in-question's life was a valid concern, as it very well could end up being a thorough investigation; but on the other hand, Dyrn needed to know if the individual-in-question was a Sith. That was the long and short of it. The Sith were angry, they were volatile, and they were spreading across the other side of the galaxy like a plague... and if Lady Fortan was learning from one, especially with the First Order developing principals that were antithetical to that teacher's methods, well, that severely complicated things. How could Dyrn stand idly by, when the Supreme Leader had just explained how her anger had almost brought her to kill someone, less than an hour past? Only to learn from an instructor in the ways of the Force who's methods were concentrated in hate?

Hm.

The Guardsman would let it go. For now. But that was an immediate red flag, and the resistance shown by Lady Fortan had made it a concern that couldn't be ignored. Ironically, had he been told, Dyrn would have done preliminary information gathering, but otherwise would have held back on anything formative. He trusted the Supreme Leader, to the extent where his job overlapped and her decisions hindered his duty, and she had now placed a wall that he needed to see beyond. And he would. But not right now. Dyrn was a patient man, he would respect Lady Fortan's decision, but he would be prepared to action a response if things looked to be going in a morally questionable direction...

"Very well, your Majesty," Dyrn said stiffly as he smiled to the topic of Force instructor, and then followed up after the offer for refreshment being made. "I am content, ma'am, no need for refreshments, thank you."

The Guardsman remained stoic. He listened as the quarters situation was explained, to which he nodded. He took the offered keycard, though he had no plans whatsoever of sleeping for the foreseeable flight. With the Bothan onboard, even under crew guard, it remained that the Guard Captain would stand watch in the corridor nearest the Supreme Leader's room at all times, until they landed on-planet. He tucked the keycard into his belt, as he focused on the change in topic.

"That makes sense, yes, a good decision from the Horsemen," Dyrn said, as he stepped back and adjusted the helmet under his arm. The revelation of Force Sensitivity and instructor had taken him by surprise, but he managed to keep his mind focused. Still, other things needed to be done before the Supreme Leader could retire for the evening securely. "I believe I understand the sentiment, ma'am. I had very little patience for chartered travel, and now possess none. That said, if you will excuse me, I must do a security sweep and ensure the Bothan is being kept under guard, as the Captain promised."

With a bow of his head, Dyrn lifted the helmet and secured it back in place. He started to walk toward the office doorway, before he paused and looked back.

"If your Excellency could inform me when you retire for the evening, I will establish a standing guard in the corridor for the remainder of the night. Commlink will suffice, ma'am. Thank you, and good evening."

The tall guard unlocked the door and stepped through, and when out of view, his gloved hands clenched into fists as he scowled under the helmet. It wasn't agitation about the decision, so much as being left in the dark made things difficult. Still, Dyrn was a professional, he would do whatever he could to support the decision Lady Fortan had made, up until that decision proved dangerous to her - and then he would determine how to proceed from there. He turned the corner in the corridor and started toward the storage bay, as he let out a low breath and loosened his hands...

Natasi wasn't sure what to make of Captain Grav's response, or lack thereof. She doubted that she had encountered the one person in the First Order's upper echelons that would recognize her authority as absolute, and yet he seemed to leave it there for the time being. She detected a change in his demeanor, though she couldn't put her finger on it. He was no less professional as he continued his commentary, no less polite or straightforward or deferential. But it did seem like he had taken her refusal as a problem to be solved, and was perhaps dedicating some bandwidth to it.

If she was being honest with herself, Natasi didn't like to thwart her earnest guardsman, especially since she could sense his best intentions. But Kassandra Distorith had done a great service to Natasi personally, and to the First Order ostensibly, by aiding in her resurrection, and Natasi felt it a poor return on her hospitality to expose her to the intrusions that came with being officially associated with the Supreme Leader. Certainly, Natasi would not do it without consulting the woman first. That would be impolite. Worse, it would be unGalidraani.

The Captain was excusing himself now; he likely had more important things to do than watch her review documents. She inclined her head and met his masked gaze. "Of course, Captain Grav. Thank you again for your efforts this evening. I shudder to think where we'd be without you." She offered a genuinely grateful smile and watched him see himself out. Her gaze lingered on the door for a moment, then she bowed her head over her work once more. It was another hour before she finally finished and locked the box. She certainly wasn't going to leave it here again, so she picked it up and took it with her, first to the desk to collect her comlink, which she used to hail Dyrn.

"Captain, it's -- uh, me. The Supreme Leader?" That's going to take some work, she chided herself. "I'll be retiring to my quarters for the rest of the evening." Banks was waiting outside the door, and escorted her the short walk to her stateroom, where the droid produced a scanner and gave the room a once-over before confirming that nothing was amiss. Normally, as she undressed and clad herself in her pajamas Natasi would make small-talk with Banks who, despite being a human replica droid, was passable as a human companion, programmed to be personable as well as an efficient ladies maid and a ruthlessly-trained killer. Tonight, Natasi excuse Banks and undressed herself -- without all the finery of jewelry and gowns and gloves and whatnot, it was easy. She dressed in a nightgown and shrugged into the kimono that Banks had pressed.

Exhaustion overtook her as her body recognized the rituals of bedtime. Natasi powered through, kneeling at the side of her bed with her copy of Fulcrum Reexamined. She read the assigned chapter and paused for silent reflection before finally removing the kimono, draping it over the back of the nearby chair, and clambering into the bed.

The next morning​

It felt that no sooner had she rolled onto one side and pulled the blankets over her shoulder that Banks was gently waking her with a cup of tea and a hand on her shoulder. It was dark, of course, because she was on a ship. Disoriented, Natasi turned on the bedside lamp and squinted at her wristwatch. "Hell," she muttered.

"Yes, Your Majesty," Banks said.

"Messages?" Natasi asked as she stood. Banks helped her into her kimono.

"None yet, ma'am," said Banks. "Will you take breakfast here, or in the dining room?"

"Dining room, I think. Are the children awake?" She stepped into the 'fresher and ran a hot sanishower. Steam billowed from behind her. Banks informed her that the children were, in fact, in the process of waking. Good luck to Nanny Odette, Natasi thought with a smirk. "I need twenty minutes, then I shall feel human again."

"Very good, ma'am." Banks collected the kimono, the pajamas, and every other stitch of clothes from her mistress. "The forecast for Herevan is quiet chilly today. I'll pull the burgundy coat and the high-necked blouse ensemble, unless you'd prefer something else."

Natasi agreed and, thus attired -- sans the coat -- emerged from her stateroom twenty minutes later, prepared to take breakfast with the children. She looked around for Captain Grav; had he decided that this was more trouble than it was worth and ejected himself in the escape pod? No, Natasi thought. Probably just busy.

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

The starship was quiet. Not exactly silent, there always remained the hums and thumps of mechanics and engines, but in regard to sentients it was like a ghost ship. That suited Dyrn just fine, as he walked through the corridor that led to the storage bay. The Guardsman walked purposefully, his strides long, as he didn't need to keep pace with anyone. He reached out and pressed the panel for the doors with a thud, before he waited as those same doors opened, to reveal the storage area. Within, a single individual stood toward the back, blaster in hand, and Dyrn immediately recognized the sentient as the crew member from earlier.

Good. The Captain is keeping his word.

Without pause, the Guard Captain walked over to where a cage had been repurposed for the task of containing the Bothan. Dyrn peered inside through the lenses of his helmet, to see the criminal curled up on a blanket, sleeping. How the alien could rest after what had happened, Dyrn didn't know, but at least he Mr. Bazzi was arrested and ready for delivery to the appropriate authorities the next day. The Guardsman turned to regard the crew watchman, as he offered the human a nod of his helmet, before he turned and started to leave.

<"Good. He is never left unsupervised. I trust your Captain will handle what to do with Mr. Bazzi tomorrow,"> Dyrn said through the helmet. <"Also kindly suggest that a discount be applied to the First Order financial service, for the audacity shown on this trip.">

With the troublesome Bothan confirmed in containment, and under guard, it meant Dyrn could attend to other tasks. He closed the bay doors, then stopped and stood outside the storage entry. It was too soon to walk back to the mid of the ship, he didn't want to encounter the Supreme Leader, not right now, not with the thoughts he had about the situation. No, the Guardsman needed time to compartmentalize and shift his attention, not to mention he had a task that had been requested to complete. Now was a good a time as any to make a holocall.

The time difference shouldn't be too bad, perhaps early morning?

The Royal Guard pulled out his comlink and searched for the frequency he needed. It took some work, even with his clearance, but eventually Dyrn had the contact of the individual he needed to speak with - one Sybil Shepard. FOSB Agent. Spook. Someone who had been rumored to have undergone a drastic change, though Dyrn didn't have the time to find out what, exactly. Instead, he made the holocall, under heavy encryption, and waited for the answer. The Guardsman left his helmet on, at least for the moment, as he stood there with one hand outstretched, so his upperbody would be visible when or if the call was answered.

The call went through.

<"Greetings, Agent Shepard. I am Guard Captain Grav, commander of the First Order Royal Guard, charged with protection and security of her Majesty the Supreme Leader, Natasi Fortan."> Dyrn let the introduction settle for a moment, before he continued. <"I will need you to match my security ping, before we continue the discussion."> And from his end, the security code was sent, with the expectant security code from Shepard to match in the system. If it didn't, the call would terminate... though it was matched, the call continued.

One handed, Dyrn unclasped his helmet and removed it, as he looked at the other person on the holocall.

"I apologize for calling so early. Lady Fortan and her entourage are currently en route to Galidraan, and we have experienced a security threat by way of listening device in a gift from a public appearance some weeks earlier," The Guardsman looked to one side as the ship clanged, but it was little more than hull flex. "It was requested by her Excellency to have the FOSB perform a data transmission trace and sift, to determine what might have been overheard or shared, and it's location for collection if the bug got something important."

With an incline of his head, Dyrn afforded a small smile.

"It was also requested that you be contacted personally. As a trusted Agent capable of discretion in her Majesty's interests, as it were. If you are able to meet us on Galidraan, I can meet with you as required, so we may get you on task to sort this situation out. Thank you for your time and candor, Agent Shepard. Grav, out."

When the call was concluded, the Guardsman put the device back onto his belt, then placed his helmet back on. He waited outside the storage bay, at ease, but otherwise maintaining watch. It would be another forty odd minutes before the call from the Supreme Leader came through, as she stated she was finished and retiring to her quarters. Dyrn responded on the comlink briefly.

<"Yes, ma'am, I will see you in the morning. Sleep well.">

Now it was time to prepare for the final watch of the night. The Guardsman started toward the Supreme Leader's door, where he found a central location in the corridor that allowed him a wide range visually, and stood. He took out his collapsed spear, and held it in one gloved hand, before Dyrn allowed himself to be at ease, his hands at the small of his back and his boots shoulder width apart. And there he would remain, alert and watchful, for the remainder of the night and into the morning...

FO_spacer_thin.png

The next morning, the passageway was empty. The Guardsman had left, on the arrival of Ms. Banks to the Supreme Leader's room, and had returned to his own quarters. For the time that Lady Fortan prepared for the day, Dyrn was absent from view or contact. When Lady Fortan emerged from her quarters, dressed in her high-neck blouse and ensemble, the Guard Captain was still absent, even as she looked for him. Until he wasn't.

"Your Majesty."

From down the corridor of the vessel, a tall and broad individual walked. Dressed in a pale blue business suit, no longer covered in bright white and shining armor or a helmet, Dyrn cleared his throat as he approached the Supreme Leader. Hair brushed, face shaved, he looked surprisingly fresh for someone who had yet to sleep. Though Dyrn also felt a little self-conscious, a little unprotected despite the suit being made of strong armorweave and the assortment of concealed weaponry on his person. Still, the security required was incognito, so the Guard Captain had needed to set aside his armor in favor of more civilian garb. When he reached her position, the Guardsman stopped and bowed his head in greeting, before he tugged at one of the sleeves of his jacket, to straighten the arm.

"I trust you slept well, ma'am? It was a quiet night, nothing to report." He said, before offering a smile. "I hope the civilian outfit is to your liking, it was the only one I had available on short notice..." The Guardsman squared his chin as he glanced along the passageway, before looking back to his charge. "Also, perhaps we could discuss the level of familiarity we want to maintain, while in public? Should I call you by the first name of an alias? I have been told couples draw significantly less attention. If you are comfortable with that, of course, ma'am, it could be an option."

With raised eyebrows, Dyrn motioned toward the t-junction that would take the pair to the dining area. He thought Lady Fortan looked quite fetching in her outfit, also, but kept that to himself. He didn't need to share everything with her Majesty, after all, but blouses certainly suited the striking woman before him...

"Shall we, your Majesty?"

Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan | The Major The Major

Natasi turned to see Dyrn Grav approaching. She almost didn't recognize him without his tactical suit, but there was no mistaking the mountain of a man coming towards her. Natasi smiled brightly and adjusted her handbag hanging from her wrist. "My goodness," she said, raising her eyebrows as she studied his choice of wardrobe. "Very nice, actually, short notice or not. Blue. Hm." She lofted her eyebrows, an enigmatic half-smile crossing her lips. "I was just going in to breakfast, if you'd care to join us."

George and Reima were already seated at the end of the table with Odette. They were conversing quietly in Coruscanti -- Odette's native language that had made her a strong contender for nanny and governess. "Bonjour, mes petits chéris," she said in a singsong as she approached, taking a her seat at the head of the table.

"Bonjour, maman," George and Reima recited. George ventured further, noting the presence of Grav, while Reima seemed to flinch from it. "Bonjour, monsieur le capitaine."

"Vous êtes-vous bien comporté pour mademoiselle Odette?" Natasi took a napkin and unfolded it.

"Oui," said George. "Bien sur."

"Tres bien, vraiment," Reima squeaked.

"You're a better governess than I ever had for formal Coruscanti, Odette," said Natasi amiably as she picked up her menu card. Odette reassured her that she was very good (a well-intentioned lie, Natasi thought) and understood that this was a signal. Her mistress was an engaged mother, obviously cared for their safety and happiness, and certainly found her children charming (for the most part) but cutesiness and kitsch were anathema to her, and she didn't want her children to pick up the nasty habits of being performatively adorable. George would be Supreme Leader one day, in addition to being Duke of Foxfield and Earl of Herevan.

In Natasi's eyes, there was room in high office for sentiment, but not sentimentality.

She returned her attention to Grav with an apologetic look. "That is a reasonable idea," said Natasi genially. She poured herself a cup of caff from the carafe in the center of the table, then held it up in a silent offer to Grav as she went on, a touch of humor in her voice: "And as I am a notoriously frigid Galidraani aristocrat, it will be perfectly natural for me to have a companion and never want to smile at or touch them." When the matter of the caff was settled, Natasi put the carafe down and doctored her own cup -- some might call it adulterating it -- with a measure of sugar and milk before raising it to her lips.

"After last nights... escapades, I don't know what I expected," said Natasi, her face and voice deadpan. She gestured with her caff cup. "This is revolting." She took another sip and set it down. She settled on toast and bacon for breakfast and entered her choices, then settled into her seat. A hand idly pulled the string of pearls around her neck, causing the clasp to circle the high neck of her blouse, a clear sign of anxiety in a woman who would otherwise have been quite placid. "Do they give you a secret identity when you're assigned here, or do you need to invent one yourself? If we need to find a convincing Galidraani identity for you, I'm sure there's a copy of Ditton's in the library at Herevan Hold."

She crossed her ankles and leaned on one armrest casually. "Were you able to get a hold of Shepard?" Natasi asked. "Not that I'm trying to micromanage you, I am simply curious. I don't think she's ever been to Herevan. I should invite her to stay. If not this time, then next. Although perhaps she would find it stuffy. Country life isn't for everyone, especially if it happens to be at a time when there's nothing to shoot, stalk, hunt, or catch." Natasi frowned thoughtfully, once more adopting that faraway look that meant she was deep in thought. She sounded like she was becoming a toff, a woman of leisure, a lady who lunched.

I'll be damned before I let that happen, Natasi thought. But this was not the place for an existential crisis, so she cleared her throat and looked over at Grav. "How about you? Other than... well, I won't embarrass you by saying it out loud, but -- other than your other hobby, are you an outdoorsman? Herevan is rather old-fashioned; you'll find much of the Galidraani aristocracy is that way. There's a lot of walking and riding to pass the time, and depending on the season, there's shooting for pheasant or grouse, foxhunting, fishing." She hesitated, feeling somewhat judged somehow even though Grav hadn't yet said a word.

A steward appeared in the door with the breakfast orders and studiously passed them around. Natasi nodded her thanks and retreated to her coffee. "It's a lot more entertaining than it sounds. You invite friends from all over for the weekend. There's drinking and singing and party games in the evening."

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

Dyrn could admit that being out of the armor, despite the lack of comfort in wearing it, and being in the suit somehow seemed equally uncomfortable. He had lived in his Royal Guard gear for many years, intermittently, and still hadn't quite gained the same level of familiarity with business attire. Still, he would be fine once he wore it longer, and smiled at the response from Lady Fortan. He nodded his head before the invitation to join breakfast was given, to which the Guardsman gave way to the Supreme Leader to lead and he to follow to the dining area.

Within, those gathered spoke in a language Dyrn had little understanding of. He caught small snippets of words he understood, so he was able to determine it was Coruscanti, though as to what the family and staff spoke of at length he could not say. Instead, the Guard Captain remained silent and nodded in greeting should the children greet him. To which George did, and Dyrn said in his best attempt. "Eh, Bonjour, young monsieur." Which was about the extent he felt comfortable trying to say in the language.

It was confirmed not long after, by Lady Fortan, as she commented on Odette's usage. The Guardsman moved to the seat he had occupied the evening prior, and took a menu card as before, then started to look over the items on offer. There was a moment between the nanny and Supreme Leader, though Dyrn wasn't quite familiar enough with Odette to fully understand the underlying meaning. At least not yet. Still, Lady Fortan turned to speak to Dyrn, and his attention focused on her.

Her quip about a distantly close companion made Dyrn smirk.

However, the Guardsman's levity lowered for a moment, as the Supreme Leader mentioned the poor taste of the caff, Dyrn was tempted to reach over and make sure it hadn't been laced in a toxin. But the chef was a known quantity, there seemed a very low chance of any danger from the sentient, so he instead noted the lack of quality and would action appropriately if another item of food was considered bad. Once was acceptable, especially as Dyrn had a medkit on his person that could handle a broad range of poisons, but twice was cause for concern. Nonetheless, he ordered toast with nerf-butter, and left it at that - simplicity for the day, nothing too filling to avoid becoming lethargic.

"I have identities for use, yes, ma'am," Dyrn said as he looked to Lady Fortan. "However, they have no been curated to suit Galidraani society. Mainly the regions within First Order space, your Excellency. I am at your discretion if you wish to provide a suitable alternative, and will memorize any backstory you think is useful to maintaining it."

The topic of Agent Shepard came up, to which the Guardsman nodded again.

"Yes, ma'am. I contacted Ms. Shepard and explained the situation with as few details as possible, until she is able to meet me to discuss further today," The Guard Captain explained, before he listened to the further musings from Lady Fortan. Whether Agent Shepard stayed at Herevan, or not, it wouldn't impact too heavily on Dyrn. It was at the Supreme Leader's leisure, and she would have agreement from the Guardsman in either decision. When asked about his additional hobbies, Dyrn thought for a moment. "I was raised as a survivalist, ma'am, so I am very able to shoot, hunt, track and navigate without assistance from tech. Sometimes I find the escape from the bustle of cities and starships quite relaxing. I have not been foxhunting, however...

"The event does sound interesting. If you wish for me to attend, I will do as you command, ma'am."

When the food arrived, Dyrn took that moment to reach into his jacket pocket. He stood from his chair slowly, then walked to the Supreme Leader's side before he produced a small item held on the palm of his hand. It was a silver banded, diamond-studded finely designed bracelet. "If you would permit, ma'am, I have something for you," The Guard Captain knelt down so he was level with Lady Fortan's eyeline. He held the item out for her, not to presume he would be allowed to put it on her wrist. "This is a phrik bracelet that has been specially crafted for your use. It contains personal protection modules, as well as an emergency beacon. The information for specific functions has been sent to your datapad, though if you have further questions about its use, I can assist. It is designed to be untraceable, protect you from a number of threats, while being decorative to wear to most functions."

He pointed to a specific part of the bracelet, where the faintest of buttons could be seen. "That is the emergency beacon activator. If you find yourself away from myself, or another Guardsman, for any reason and under threat... this will give us your exact location, so I can be on top of you within moments for your safety." He nodded, smiled, then stood and walked back to his chair. "Without the beacon active, no one will know your location through the bracelet, so please don't feel your privacy is compromised, your Majesty."

With his toast at his placement, Dyrn began to eat it with utensils, so as to avoid using his fingers. It was never polite to use fingers.

"When your Majesty has time, if we could discuss your additional errand? Unfortunately, with the previous events last night, we didn't have the opportunity to discuss details. Having some knowledge prior to the task would be very helpful in doing my own," Dyrn said as he glanced to Lady Fortan. She had avoided discussing the reason for the Calavar visit, so the Guardsman would seek out the answers again, so as to best prepare. "I defer to your decision about where and when we expand on the topic, ma'am. For now, I have organized for your usual security detail to be prepared, from your last assigned team, though if you wish to do otherwise we can make adjustments as you choose, ma'am."

After finishing most of his breakfast, Dyrn decided to interact more socially, as he looked to the children.

"Not to be too familiar, George and Reima, could I ask what are some of your hobbies? Perhaps we might share some? And I might be in a position to have my Guardsmen learn the same, so they can accompany you while under their protection."

The Supreme Leader studied Grav curiously as he explained his identity. She frowned thoughtfully, her eyes cutting to one side. After a moment, she said: "That might be all the better, actually. Everyone on Galidraan seems to know everyone else, so if you don't pretend to be an insider, you won't be scrutinized as one. Outsiders get the benefit of a little mystery." She took another sip of the dreadful caff and then set the cup down on the table. "Can you provide the details of the identity so that I can review and try to commit it to memory? I'd hate to zig when I ought to zag."

Natasi listened to his recounting of his contact with Shepard and nodded. "I appreciate you taking the initiative there," she said. "I trust her implicitly -- as I do you -- so my hope is that we will all work well together and get to the bottom of this. If it is just some tabloid pest, that's one thing, but if there's something more sinister at play..." She let her voice trail off and waved a hand, trusting him to fill in the blanks. "At any rate, there's nothing specific planned for Herevan. Frankly, I'm not sure how long I intend to stay, I -- " She paused and canted her head to one side, making the realization just before she said it out loud: "Well, I suppose I was just making conversation. Your demeanor puts me at least, it feels like I'm talking to a new friend."

She flashed an apologetic smile and leaned forward with interest as he knelt beside her chair. She was slightly jarred, but his intentions became clear when he produced a silvery bracelet. Her concerns were additionally allayed when he explained the functions to her. "What a good idea," said Natasi. "I suppose it's easier than embedding a tracking beacon somewhere in my person. More comfortable for me as well, and do you know I've always had a soft spot for diamonds." Natasi smiled and held her right wrist out to him, tugging the off-white silk blouse sleeve up a little. "Would you mind, while Banks is indisposed with my cases? I'm afraid I struggle with the fiddly latches."

With the bracelet installed and, at least by Natasi, suitably admired, she picked up a piece of bacon, carefully munching it to avoid getting bacon crumbs down her front. She watched curiously as Grav used his knife and fork to eat toast. Toast. This did not escape her children's notice, either: George gaped until Odette nudged him. Natasi didn't stare, she was much too well-bred for that, and she didn't comment. There was nothing wrong in it; perhaps the Galidraani were just savages. It wouldn't surprise her, after all, knowing what she knew about her countrymen. She happily munched through her breakfast, pausing occasionally to sip at her coffee. The taste never improved.

"Yes, I'm happy to discuss it more fully once we're alone," she said, "but the long and short of it is that I've asked my friend to put me in touch with a member of the Free Galidraani resistance. Although my official position keeps me from being directly involved with the resistance, I am looking to see what they plan to do in the future, as far as Galidraan being under the Sith or some other power in the region or even independent. My son inherited a great deal of property and holdings on Galidraan from his father and from me, so my aim is to see what threats this resistance movement poses to Foxfield and Herevan." Natasi finished her coffee and smiled serenely at her bodyguard.

"Then I'll neutralize them," she concluded pleasantly. "But I'm sure that's not the kind of salient detail you were after. The meeting will take place at the Portmanteau Club in Calavar, Galidraan's capital. The Portmanteau is a jazz club -- nothing sinister, I assure you. We can arrive early so you can -- what's the term? scope it out?" Natasi picked up her knife and fork and began to cut her toast into bite-sized bits. George looked over at her like she had grown a second head, but Natasi said nothing, instead listening as Grav quizzed them on their hobbies.

George explained that he enjoyed building with the multi-colored peg-and-hole bricks that were popular with children of his age and putting together balsa wood models of air- and spacecraft, in addition to rugby and polo. Reima, on the other hand, loved her dolls and ballet and her pony. Natasi stifled a laugh as her son mentioned building models, covering her mouth with a napkin as she glanced over at her bodyguard indulgently.

“. . .love is fundamental, Sybil. The only things worth doing in life are done for love. If one is motivated by hatred or envy or greed or vengeance, it is such a waste of effort and of time. I believe -- truly -- that one regrets acting out of love more than they do regret acting out of hate."​

epgYA6e.png

Dyrn Grav Dyrn Grav | Natasi Fortan Natasi Fortan

The voice was known —this realization leaving a numb sensation spreading across the cheap toast that was this consciousness.

The Fraudulent Amalgamate buzzed inside, an sonorous ringing persistent in one long note. She could almost make out a shape in all that noise, an empty void filling up with this Other essence. Overwriting. Rewiring. A small form of death in its most ludicrous and intangible form. If it were merely the humming of internal cybernetics overclocking to their breaking point then there was at least some measure of ignorance that could be pleaded; this was worse, a form of atrophy and regression that was impossible to resist. Staring blankly out the glass, as stars and the black ink between them faded, she watched Galidraan’s atmosphere wash away the winking, freckled shadow of space. Uncertainty was washing away as well. Knowledge was supposed to be power; all it offered her was culpability.

Why, even now, could she not just shake away all this noise? What made her so weak? Why did she have to persist?

The journey from low orbit to the lazy crawl towards the landing zone, above a city conurbation, flanked beyond by hills, mountains, and streams relatively took no time at all, for those fleeting moments, monuments, and landmarks —each and every one— represented another opportunity to disappear. Pretend, to start again. Suppress the noise. Ignore everything and every call.

If only.

Drawing close now to the prearranged rendezvous negotiated by a specific guard captain was alone insufficient to keep up this charade of sanity. Struggle oddly compelled her to sally forth. Serenity was offered by her surroundings, but it likewise left her alone to cope with the droning, rising chant —enabled the noise to creep down to the hands and feet. Another shape pushed itself upon the fevered gray matter inside to notice a portrait of a man hung upon a burnt wall. Smoke wisped about his face, framing the dour expression frozen in time. He was dead. His two children would fail to experience his loving guidance, and that crumbling wire of contact was inexorably pulling her in as the dots connected; a void was left behind, and in its place there was no satisfaction. The realization pulled her heart to a hard thump as it climbed up her throat. These were not dreams, nor Force propelled omens of the future.

The liability was her burden, and these were memories.

There was little left to do but wait at the point. Perturbed, she stood for a spell while closing her eyes, listening to this internal white noise, embracing the labyrinthian tapestry of guilt that wrestled away control from her consciousness. Outwardly to any observer, it would have looked like a strange but not natural occurrence if not for the time and place: a woman standing in the middle of a grand walkway as though there was a pleasant drizzle encompassing every inch of her person. There was no such precipitation.

It wasn’t rain that was trilling upon her skin.

Wb6O9UM.png

Last edited:
ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

Dyrn immediately understood and agreed with the Supreme Leader's assessment regarding the alias, as she pointed out that being from foreign space would allow more leeway for privacy. It made sense. With a moment of pause, the Guardsman brought the details forward in his mind, before he nodded and began to share. "Certainly, ma'am. The alias is Vykk Draygo, a somewhat wealthy but private businessman who is an entrepreneur that travels the galaxy looking for investment opportunities. Born and raised on Dosuun, his holdings took a significant hit from the attacks in recent years, which is why he has started to expand his holdings on multiple worlds - to avoid losing so much in one place. He has several hobbies, including hosting the odd Sabacc tournament for close friends and business partners, as well as engaging in slugthrower marksmanship and being a connoisseur of fine whiskeys. The alias has been crafted to allow as much entry into as many social circles as possible, restricting as little as possible."

Once the important aspects of the alias were shared, Lady Fortan continued, and asked about Agent Shepard. She seemed pleased that contact had been made, and even went so far as to hope they would work well together. Dyrn knew there would be little resistance from him, in terms of assisting the FOSB Agent, as his job was to ensure the safety of Lady Fortan in all respects. Providing an obstacle to solving the problem would go against his responsibilities. Still, he glanced back to Lady Fortan when she mentioned his demeanor, and how it seemed like she spoke with a new friend...

I understand. I feel similarly.

Instead, though, the Guardsman nodded and offered a smile. It was shortly after that, once he had explained the purpose of the bracelet in hand while knelt beside the Supreme Leader, he was asked to assist with the bracelet clasps. He did so. Dyrn reached out with both hands, as he held the silver ends between his index fingers and thumbs. He angled his arms in the jacket, had little trouble, and brought the clasps together a hair-width above Lady Fortan's wrist. He could feel the heat of her skin against the sides of his palms, as he inclined his head and clipped the jewelry together. Dyrn let the bracelet go flat against Lady Fortan's wrist, before he placed one hand over it and ensured it was secured, as his fingers brushed against her soft skin before he pulled back and stood.

His gaze lingered on the bracelet - or her forearm - for a little longer than it should have, perhaps.

With a clear of his throat, Dyrn returned to breakfast. He noted that the children gave odd expressions, as though the Guard Captain had something on his face. Still, it seemed the proper thing to do, and Dyrn also wanted to avoid spilling food on his business clothing. The trip to Calavar was explained in some simple detail, outlined without the specifics, which the Guardsman presumed to be due to the children - who seemed to have returned to their own business - and understood the want for secrecy. In truth, Dyrn was content that Lady Fortan had erred on the side of caution, instead leaving the more fine details to a more secure location.

Good. Intelligent and tactful, I already feel more confident at my duties.

Nonetheless, as a little more was explained, Lady Fortan asked about the process going forward. "Yes, your Excellency, if we could arrive around half-an-hour early, I will be able to secure the location and scope it out," He said with a smirk, as he looked to her. "I will also be in a position to remain close by, far enough away to avoid being associated with you, but close enough to protect you should anything happen. I don't expect anything to happen, mind, but it is better to be prepared."

The topic had a small shift to hobbies, to which Dyrn noted that George enjoyed balsa wood models. The other ones were remembered, of course, but that one in particular made the Guardsman nod and smile. He didn't expand on the conversation, but did recall that his starting kits had been similar, before the more difficult became metal and electronic. There was still a pang of shame, as the adult sentient found his interest in what was clearly a child's hobby to be spoken aloud, but that was fine. The stifled laugh from Lady Fortan was heard, and seen, as the Guardsman looked down and felt a small rush of blood to his face. But, determined to push through, Dyrn responded and thanked the children for sharing, as he offered a few words to both of them:

"Rugby is an interesting sport, perhaps I'll be fortunate enough to see you in a game, George. And ballet remains one of the most challenging hobbies I am aware of, Reima, it requires incredible strength and willpower. Very impressive, my lady."

It wasn't long before the breakfast meal was finished. Dyrn placed his utensils on his empty plate, then looked toward Lady Fortan. He would wait patiently until she had, likewise, finished. Once they had done so, the Guardsman would stand and push in his chair, before he walked over and assisted with the Supreme Leader's chair - something he had intended to do earlier, on arrival, but she had been quick to seat herself. It was good practice for any high society functions the pair might find themselves attending, so Dyrn saw it as simply that, a chance to refresh on knowledge. And present a gentlemanly side of himself.

A small beep on his comlink sounded, which he checked.

"The unmarked security vehicles have arrived, your Majesty," Dyrn said as he adjusted his jacket, which was made from a composite of fabric and material based armor, similar to armorweave but stronger. "Ready to leave this charter when you are, ma'am. When we exit, I will remain to your right, and assist you into the vehicle first. All standard, I'm sure."

And the Guardsman would then follow the Supreme Leader, on her right, if she so desired to start toward and get in the security convoy...

I wonder if Agent Shepard has arrived? I'm sure she will contact me when on-planet.

The children, still somewhat bashful around the guardsman, were prompted by a pointed glance from Natasi to express their thanks and agreement. They finished their breakfast soon after and Odette corralled them out of the dining room to finish packing their things to prepare for disembarkation. Natasi felt herself relax when they had gone. It wasn't that she didn't care for her children; quite the opposite, actually. It was just that they were getting to an age when they started to make observations, to say things and ask things that Natasi wasn't always prepared to answer. It was only a matter of time before one of them asked just what Natasi needed a personal protection officer for.

It was always a hard day when one had to explain to one's children that there were people out there that would want their mother dead. Even worse was that those same people wouldn't stop at her, that the children would have to worry, too.

She shivered and turned her attention back to the captain, an attempt at a smile crossing her face. "A sound plan," Natasi agreed. "The Portmanteau Club is an institution in my social circle, so I am not terribly concerned about safety. My primary concern is kicking off some kind of international incident by being caught out meeting with -- well, the people I hope to meet with. The Sith Imperials wouldn't like it. Then again, their Emperor maintained slavery in my nation years after I outlawed it so I suppose turnabout is fair play." The Supreme Leader finished her breakfast and then set to work forcing herself to return to the coffee. It was lukewarm by now which, incidentally, did not improve its flavor.

Natasi and the children split up, Odette taking her charges to a separate car for security purposes. Natasi agreed to Dyrn's proposal and they set about to prepare for their exit. She picked up her handbag and they proceeded towards the ramp. Natasi was polite but cool when interacting with Mr. Chamberlain who had the good sense to ensure the bothan spy was nowhere near Natasi's presence, and she took her leave brusquely. Banks helped Natasi into her maroon coat and hat, pinning the latter into place as Natasi withdrew a pair of gloves from her handbag and worked her hands into them.

"I hope it's not too cold for you," Natasi told Grav, glancing him up and down. The suit was very much in fashion, but this region of Galidraan was known for its cold winters. She wondered if he had that bodysuit on beneath the standard suit and shirt, which might provide him some warmth. She refused to acknowledge that it provided her a little warmth too. She looked away, towards Banks, flushing slightly pink. Banks looked inquiringly at the bracelet that Natasi was gently fiddling with as the ship ramp prepared to open. "Not to worry, Banks," said the Supreme Leader. "Captain Grav provided it, so I'm sure there's nothing sinister about it."

Banks regarded Grav; in any other person, Natasi would have read suspicion or professional jealousy into the look, but not in Banks. She wasn't programmed for it. Banks merely nodded her head. "Very good, Your Majesty."

They emerged from the ship, Banks hanging back to oversee the luggage. As they passed through the wide, gleaming corridor, Natasi caught a glimpse of a familiar spook standing straight up, disciplined as anything. She turned to Parker, who was opposite Grav, on Natasi's left. "That's Shepard. Go and ask her to join Captain Grav and I in the car." Neither broke their stride; Parker simply veered off towards Shepard. "Miss Shepard," said Parker. "The Supreme Leader asks that you join her." He gestured towards the waiting motorcade. Natasi glanced over Grav's impressive shoulder, making eye contact and flashing a confidential smile at Shepard before disappearing into the rear of the car.

epgYA6e.png

Humming now, sound building in vibration as the edges of her awareness twisted inwards, feelings and fears splaying over each other into a shaking, nonsensical mass —Sybil imagined this was the end. Complete separation. This was the moment when she would collapse into a puddle. surely. Really, Sybil imagined nothing intelligible. Only noise and the incessant tremble of flashing memories. Reach down, wrench free the computer components and embrace infin—

"Miss Shepard," said Parker. "The Supreme Leader asks that you join her."

Indeed. Shepard followed the assistance gesture towards the motorcade, and it would simply be one of those moments where someone completely inconsequential effectively saved the life of a stranger, for better or worse. Parker couldn’t have known, regardless. Meanwhile, The Almanian’s eyes followed through and caught the smile on that face.

Ah, so agreeable.

She glided towards the figure entering its car, magnetized, or so it felt. Seemed like her limbs and legs were taking care of everything independently from her mind, awareness floating someplace that should be at her head level, but still separate. A hand floated upwards, fingers flexing upon the handle of the door.

Without hesitation the body entered no louder than a ghost, and Sybil really did think that encouraging these series of simple actions would take so much more effort.

However, it was the easiest thing ever; she was a liar, above all else. What was lying to oneself for a day or an eon? No problem.

The Major’s eyes glowed in hyperlit blue while in the shade of the vehicle’s passenger compartment. Eerie, and offputting —but surely that was an effect of data processing across her view. Regardless of the reason, her gaze scanned over Captain Grav and passed down upon the Supreme Leader in a fleeting dart.

“. . .” A stoic nod served as her greeting. Perhaps this wasn’t for the best in terms of social grace, but such was all the warmth the Other allowed.

Wb6O9UM.png

Last edited:
ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

As the Supreme Leader picked up her handbag, started toward the ramp way, and passed by the ship Captain without much to say, Dyrn followed diligently. As Banks assisted with the remainder of Lady Fortan's outfit, the Guardsman turned to Chamberlain and spoke in a low voice. "Not a word to anyone, Captain, this debacle stays private. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir, I understand completely," The pilot said with a nod. He glanced to the Supreme Leader, concern on his face. "And Mr. Bazzi has been taken into custody by local law enforcement. Charges have been made. My apologies again, for all of this."

The Guard Captain nodded, as he glanced to Lady Fortan and saw she was ready. Without another word, the tall bodyguard fell into step beside his charge, on her right, as they walked toward the motorcade and the vehicles provided. There was a question about the suit, to which Dyrn smiled. "It is more than enough, your Majesty, I have my combat suit on beneath this one." He mentioned, before he noticed the exchange between the pair as to the bracelet. For a moment, the Guard Captain wondered if Banks would say anything. He wondered if she was capable of that kind of logical computing, or if there had been limitations put in place. But the HRD remained nonplussed and continued on.

Banks remained in the hangar area to oversee packing, while Dyrn and Lady Fortan and the others continued into the facility corridor. Ahead, a lone female sentient was propped against the wall, which caused the Guardsman a moment of suspicion as his eyes narrowed. However, with a few words, the Supreme Leader sent Parker to collect Agent Shepard. That put Dyrn at some level of ease, as the sentient ahead was recognized and permitted to join the entourage for Lady Fortan. The vehicle motorcade wasn't far away, as the Guardsman remained alert to possible threats around the area, his gaze shifted over numerous windows and dark entrances, before it was time to step inside the speeders.

"One moment, ma'am," Dyrn said as he held out a hand and walked in front of Lady Fortan. "Just to be sure."

Dyrn peered inside the vehicle first, to confirm it was empty, as he altered his vision to see if anything was amiss. It seemed clear. He waited while Lady Fortan stepped inside, before he stepped away and allowed Agent Shepard entry, afterward. Once both were seated, the Guard Captain nodded to the driver who stood nearby the front driver door, and then likewise slid into the speeder and closed the door.

There was nothing said.

"Agent Shepard, I am Guard Captain Grav," The large man said in the pale blue business suit. He sat beside Lady Fortan, his arm brushing up against hers, as he made sure to be ready to cover her fully in case something happened. "I have a data package to send, if you can share your comlink frequency, as well as the listening device itself. There is the brooch, as well as the components and pieces that were inside... here."

The Guardsman leaned forward, as he pulled the items in question out of his pocket, though they were wrapped in a protective clear-plastoid sleeve. An attempt to avoid any further contamination by touch, but also to preserve the smaller components without further damage. The device wasn't complex, nor had it been broken when Dyrn had pulled it from the brooch itself, so hopefully the Agent would be able to get what clues she needed from it. With a few taps on his datapad, the Guardsman sent through the other information to Agent Shepard.

"Data has been sent to you."

Then, with a glance to Lady Fortan, the Guard Captain fell silent to let the pair either discuss or the Agent to work; if not both...

The Supreme Leader settled into the back of the speeder and crossed her ankles primly as she was joined by Shepard and Grav. She realized that the entirety of the people she could trust implicitly in all things were in this landspeeder. There were many more people that she could trust, of course, and even more that she cared about, but as far as complete trust, trust-with-your-life trust, this was it.

Natasi liked these odds.

"I hope we haven't pulled you away from anything critical, Sybil," she said. "I gather you've had your hands full with -- well, whatever it is Moff Graham has you doing. I'm sure Captain Grav has given you the details, but I'm sure he was quite diplomatic." She favored the guardsman with a wry smile before her gaze returned to Shepard. "I trust the Grand Moff's best intentions, but I know the woman who has influenced her in the past, and I trust her about as far as I can throw this landspeeder. Moreover, don't know Delilah Graham at all, other than what I could read in her file which is that she is ambitious. Extremely ambitious."

The Supreme Leader turned to gaze out the window as the landspeeders pulled away. "That kind of woman may feel entitled to act outside her brief -- whether for the good of the empire or because she thinks it will help her to expand her brief." Put simply: blackmail material. "Therefore, I need to know if this listening device is the work of mischief-makers, muckraking journalists, the deep state, or a would-be power behind Number Ten." Natasi sighed, wishing that she could, just once, return to Galidraan and enjoy the scenery. The town was already giving way to rolling hills, but she couldn't enjoy it when there were things hanging over her.

And of course, Number Ten was gone, but she trusted that Shepard would know what she meant: the Grand Moff.

Natasi sighed and reached up to press her fingertips to the pulse-point where her jaw and neck met. "And what's more, I'd like to know what, if anything, the device was able to overhear and transmit. I'm certain that there is nothing of a scandalous or sensitive nature," Natasi said, and she was certain that it was true as far as that went. In her life since resurrection, Natasi had never taken a lover, nor discussed matters of national importance outside the company of those who had the right to know.

And still...

Nights always brought tremors of danger. The voice that came, that she was able to rebuff during waking hours, seemed to take free reign at night. Sometimes the voice sounded so real it woke her up. If anyone knew... if anyone found out... the thought was too dangerous for Natasi to let herself complete it.

"Nevertheless," she continued, realizing that she'd left a few moments of silence. "I feel it is important to know the extent of the breach, if there was a breach."

epgYA6e.png

Shepard, rather unwittingly, provided a creeping air of moribund silence once inside, as if her form was intangible, yet still capable of sucking the very sound out of the words spoken by both Captain Grav and the Supreme Leader. This was all in the name of minimizing any amount of embarrassment and gritting through this posthaste. The Bureau Operative watched carefully, intensely poking them with lit eyes that did not cease to observe the nuances of their body language —a predator bird picking out details down to the wrinkles on their vestments. The Guard may have had the best instincts of three while in these relatively cramped quarters, because if an enemy wasn’t now suddenly within their midst, then they most certainly had allowed a specter to infiltrate their space.

The Major produced a datapad and typed out a set of numbers before showing the good Captain; she assumed he would memorize the comlink frequency or produce some means to write it down.

His problem.

She didn’t let the device linger before turning it off and stowing it in its proper pocket. Once the bug itself was offered the Ghost in the cabin took care to gingerly take it from Grav. This she moved closer to her left eye as if an internal computer was already running an ever enhancing scan. There was something so familiar about the bug, as if she should know exactly who or what was behind all of this trouble, but her scrutiny could not pierce the veil.

“. . .Understood,” she responded.

It turned out lying directly in the face of her problem was not going so smoothly, but if the Major could keep this up a few more minutes she could download this useless, emotionally boiling cauldron on some poor anonymous soul.

Wb6O9UM.png

ʜᴏɴᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʟᴏʏᴀʟᴛʏ

6rVLoR2.png

Dyrn remained silent as the Supreme Leader began to go into the details of the situation, though his brightly colored eyes were locked onto the new arrival in the landspeeder. He watched her for reactions, any subtle shifts, the slightest movement of the face. It wasn't so much that the Guardsman didn't trust the Agent, so much as he didn't have a gauge on how to read her. Yet. As it was, Dyrn was very aware of the glances that assessed him in a similar way, though he remained seated and somewhat casual, he was more than ready to move into action should there be a need. Lady Fortan, on the other hand, appeared quite relaxed at least externally, and it perhaps spoke of the sentients in the speeder.

Had there been recognition of the bug, albeit briefly but for a half-second? Perhaps. It had been too quick to tell, but Dyrn was as well-versed in observation and manner prediction as any FOSB Agent, since his job required he be able to read an individual to determine level of threat. As it was, there seemed to be a disconnect of Sybil Shepard, something about her way of movement and expression, as though something was... off? Without more information or a datafile to know more, Dyrn could only assume there was some kind of act or cover in place, to lessen a sense of danger.

She has clearly seen combat, The Guardsman thought, the scars - faint as they were - visible on parts of the Agent. Yet she moves... differently... than most combatants. Interesting.

The Supreme Leader had concerns over the Grand Moff, which Dyrn wouldn't be surprised were they fact, but it was the manner that Lady Fortan acted next that caused the Guardsman to narrow his eyes. She looked uncomfortable, when she mentioned the scandalous or sensitive nature of the information the bug might have picked up, despite being certain it wouldn't be that... the finger to the pulse, the seeming distant thought that passed for a moment, then the sudden continuation. Dyrn would see if there was more to be learned, he would ask in a subtle way. But later.

The Agent confirmed the situation.

"Do you require more from me, Agent Shepard?" Dyrn asked, as he looked back to the other. "With the Supreme Leader's permission, I can provide assistance. Should you need backup, should the bugs transmission location be dangerous, for example."

In truth, Dyrn had as much want to hunt down who was responsible, especially in order to protect any personal details belonging to the Supreme Leader; it wasn't only her person that the Guardsman was tasked with protecting, after all, and his responsibilities could pass into other aspects - the mental or well-being - to keep the Supreme Leader safe from a number of non-physical threats.

"Do you have any immediate ideas on how to proceed, Agent?"

Natasi appeared idle as she listened to her Guard Captain and Sybil Shepard converse.

Well... converse wasn't quite the word.

Her fingers knit together over one knee and she looked out. The countryside of Galidraan was quite beautiful, even oppressed by snow as it was now. Dark eyes were pensive as she listened to the two accompanying her within the back of the car. George and Reima were in the car behind them; she could feel their presence, parts curiosity, tension, restlessness and comfort. They had spent much of their lives on Galidraan and were, apparently, pleased to be home again.

"Permission granted," Natasi said to Dyrn without looking away from the window. "Whatever you need, Shepard, you need only to ask. If you need something Captain Grav is not able to provide, you come to me and I'll get whatever you need." She inclined her head and shifted uncomfortably in her seat, wrapping her arms around her midsection. Talking about this and reliving the indignity of being spied on by some common thug made her feel slightly sick to her stomach and deeply uncomfortable.

She tried to put it out of her mind.

"You'll stay the night," Natasi said abruptly, head turning to gaze at The Major The Major . It was an invitation, of sorts, but it did not leave much room for her to refuse. "I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to share a meal with you, really. I'm rather looking forward to it." Natasi drew her datapad and tapped out a message to send ahead to the housekeeper: Prepare the Queen Caroline suite for Ms. Shepard. She wondered if Captain Grav would have any qualms with this arrangement; she suspected he would raise it to her attention at some point.

The Supreme Leader turned her attention back to the window. The village of Herevan was coming into view. "We'll be home soon," she informed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom